Neighbour's request leaves Aussie homeowner 'shaking and fuming'

Living in close quarters with others can often lead to unexpected disputes.

For one mum, a simple backyard game with her son turned into a neighbourhood dispute that had people talking.

Renee, a mother of three, enjoyed quality time with her five-year-old son, playing soccer with a makeshift goal.

However, their innocent playtime was abruptly interrupted when their ball repeatedly hit the shared fence, leading to an outburst from the neighbour.

The neighbour expressed concern that the noise from the ball hitting the fence would 'scare her animals' and suggested that Renee installed 'respect' in her children.

compressed-renee2.jpeg
Renee defended herself and her son on a video she shared on social media. Image Credit: TikTok/Renee Barendregt

Renee took to social media to vent her frustration, as the encounter left Renee 'shaking and fuming'.

'My neighbour just yelled at me from across the fence. I was playing ball with my five-year-old son, and we were kicking it in the goals. God forbid he hit the fence a few times,' she shared.

'Yeah, my five-year-old's trying to be malicious by kicking the ball in the goal and then accidentally hitting your fence.'

In a moment of defiance, Renee gave the fence one more kick with the ball.

'Here is one f****** more,' she said.

The story quickly gained traction online, with Aussies taking sides.

Some sympathised with the neighbour, understanding the irritation that could come from unwanted noise.

'I'm definitely with your neighbour. Nothing more irritating than a ball hitting the fence,' one commenter wrote.

Another added that the sound would drive her and her dogs 'nuts'.

However, others rallied behind Renee.

Some comments called the neighbour's complaint 'crazy' and said the reaction to a child's play was over the top.

Some applauded Renee's kick as the 'perfect' ending to make her point.
This incident raises questions about the balance between children's play and neighbourly tolerance.

Watch Renee’s full story here:

Source: @reneebarendregt/TikTok

Sounds of laughter and playfulness can sometimes clash with the need for peace.

It also highlighted the importance of direct communication and understanding in shared living spaces.
Key Takeaways

• A mum experienced an aggressive incident with her neighbour over her son playing soccer in their backyard.
  • The neighbour allegedly yelled at the mother-son duo for hitting the shared fence with the soccer ball, expressed concerns it could scare her animals, and demanded respect.
  • The mother expressed her anger and frustration online, receiving mixed support with some siding with the neighbour.
  • The incident sparked discussions about boundaries and neighbourly relations, with opinions divided on the appropriateness of Renee's actions and the neighbour's complaint.
What's your take on Renee's situation? Do you think the neighbour's complaint was justified, or was the reaction too harsh for child's play? We would love to hear your stories and tips on maintaining good neighbourly relations in the comments below.

Sponsored
I am sure something could be done to remedy this social media drama.
My niece had issues because one of her 3 rambunctious sons, who thinks he is Pele, pretty much turned a paling fence into sticks. She did put her hand in her pocket to fix the damage. So, we looked at alternatives and put the goal net in another location, away from the fence. He has also started training with a local kiddies football team and is learning how the game is played. That helped with the desire to me continuously active.
As far as the mum in this thread goes, whilst she is wringing her hands in dismay, perhaps she would think differently if the ball was hitting up against the wall of her house. Better to prevent than to cause angst. The child is 7, but not a baby. He is old enough to learn from someone who knows about direct kicking to teach the boy in a park.

Ssomebody might like to point out to the neighbour that the attention span of a 5 year old is about 10 minutes and if a kid is playing in his backyard, annoying the neighbour, it won't last long. Also there is a polite way to go about expressing your displeasure, and telling the mother of a 5 year old to "instill some respect" in her child, is certainly not the way to go about it.

The pets are no more important than children at play. During daylight hours there will be some noise and hopefully pets will be able to adjust. Sadly someone may not be able to go up the road to a local park. Next the neighbour will want to know why children are in their electronic devices too much. Mum was being a good mum with outdoor play. Hopefully the neighbour could ask nicely next time

What a self centred, self entitled woman setting a fine example to her son. NOT! I am most definitely with the neighbour on this. Clearly this Renee woman has no respect or consideration for her neighbours. The fact that she is playing with her 5 year old son has nothing to do with it, she is supposedly the adult but her behaviour indicates that she is nothing more than a spoilt little brat. The neighbour's request is in no way bizarre but Renee's reaction to the request is very bizarre.

I am sure something could be done to remedy this social media drama.
My niece had issues because one of her 3 rambunctious sons, who thinks he is Pele, pretty much turned a paling fence into sticks. She did put her hand in her pocket to fix the damage. So, we looked at alternatives and put the goal net in another location, away from the fence. He has also started training with a local kiddies football team and is learning how the game is played. That helped with the desire to me continuously active.
As far as the mum in this thread goes, whilst she is wringing her hands in dismay, perhaps she would think differently if the ball was hitting up against the wall of her house. Better to prevent than to cause angst. The child is 7, but not a baby. He is old enough to learn from someone who knows about direct kicking to teach the boy in a park.
Correction - the child is 5 rears old and excuse me are we now expected to tippy toe around in our own homes a yards in case we displease our neighbours? And it was not hitting the walls of the house - he missed a few times putting in in the goal and hit the fence - cheez excuse them for living!

Correction - the child is 5 rears old and excuse me are we now expected to tippy toe around in our own homes a yards in case we displease our neighbours? And it was not hitting the walls of the house - he missed a few times putting in in the goal and hit the fence - cheez excuse them for living!
Oh woops. I got the age wrong.
Yep, it did not hit the house, however, how would the mother feel if the goal post was turned around and it hit her house? It's hardly enough to create a social media scandal over, but, there are always two sides to a story.
5 years old is not stupid. They can be guided in play.

What a self centred, self entitled woman setting a fine example to her son. NOT! I am most definitely with the neighbour on this. Clearly this Renee woman has no respect or consideration for her neighbours. The fact that she is playing with her 5 year old son has nothing to do with it, she is supposedly the adult but her behaviour indicates that she is nothing more than a spoilt little brat. The neighbour's request is in no way bizarre but Renee's reaction to the request is very bizarre.
Sorry to disappoint but I disagree - if more parents took the time to actually spend quality time with their kids we wouldn't have as many little criminals on the streets! I suggest the neighbour has no respect or consideration and obviously doesn't like children - children make noise and play or have you forgotten?

Oh woops. I got the age wrong.
Yep, it did not hit the house, however, how would the mother feel if the goal post was turned around and it hit her house? It's hardly enough to create a social media scandal over, but, there are always two sides to a story.
5 years old is not stupid. They can be guided in play.
What is it - now Tommy I know we are at home but you must not make noise or bump anything that may upset the neighbour? I am sure that that didn't happen when you were a child - in my day all the kids played in each others yards and most times the parents joined in or cheered them on. Are we that sour today that we will squash any enjoyment a family may indulge in. in their own backyard? Well I am glad I don't have too many years left else I will get more soured than I am right now!

I never complain about kids playing outside, I love hearing them having fun. Balls fly over the fence. If I find them I throw them back over before the dog sees them. If not, the kids come over and retrieve them. They know they will never be in trouble.

What's wrong with this entitled foul mouthed spoilt brat of a woman. I would suggest she may be the 5 year old here. Firstly there is no need to have the goal in that position. Put it in a position that allows the ball to miss the goal and not hit the fence. When the neighbor speaks about the problem that she has it would be better to answer in a neighborly fashion and not by kicking the fence and using foul and filthy language. That sounds real good coming from the mouth of a female. Yes, the kids have to play outside and yes, they do make a noise but don't add to the situation by being a big spoilt brat yourself.

If I read it correctly the neighbour expressed concern that the noise would upset her animals, didn't mention if they were upset.

Reactions: Bridgit
What's wrong with this entitled foul mouthed spoilt brat of a woman. I would suggest she may be the 5 year old here. Firstly there is no need to have the goal in that position. Put it in a position that allows the ball to miss the goal and not hit the fence. When the neighbor speaks about the problem that she has it would be better to answer in a neighborly fashion and not by kicking the fence and using foul and filthy language. That sounds real good coming from the mouth of a female. Yes, the kids have to play outside and yes, they do make a noise but don't add to the situation by being a big spoilt brat yourself.
Maybe its the only place they can play. In so many suburbs, the houses/units are so close together. And to me, it`s great to hear Parents and Kids outside playing, instead of each on their laptops etc inside.

Because I have metal fences and balls hitting them drove me nuts I would walk down to the park with the little collapsible goals and play there. Most often other kids would join in and they always had so much fun and never a bad word from a neighbour.

I think the mother needs to learn some respect. Great example she sets for her child using foul language and showing complete disregard for her neighbours right to enjoy her yard in peace and quiet.
Child's noise playing is quite acceptable, a ball being continually kicked into a fence is not.
Place the net against your own house so the child is not kicking towards the neighbours fence or as suggested go to a park or play some other activity that is not so annoying to the neighbours.
They have rights also.

The neighbour is right in this instance. Try to settle this in a calm manner as there is nothing worse than not getting on with the person next door. If we can't manage this, what hope for World peace!!
True, people get so worked up over petty things . No need to put it on social media either. Compromise & understanding on both sides is needed.