Neighbour's request leaves Aussie homeowner 'shaking and fuming'

Living in close quarters with others can often lead to unexpected disputes.

For one mum, a simple backyard game with her son turned into a neighbourhood dispute that had people talking.

Renee, a mother of three, enjoyed quality time with her five-year-old son, playing soccer with a makeshift goal.

However, their innocent playtime was abruptly interrupted when their ball repeatedly hit the shared fence, leading to an outburst from the neighbour.

The neighbour expressed concern that the noise from the ball hitting the fence would 'scare her animals' and suggested that Renee installed 'respect' in her children.

compressed-renee2.jpeg
Renee defended herself and her son on a video she shared on social media. Image Credit: TikTok/Renee Barendregt

Renee took to social media to vent her frustration, as the encounter left Renee 'shaking and fuming'.

'My neighbour just yelled at me from across the fence. I was playing ball with my five-year-old son, and we were kicking it in the goals. God forbid he hit the fence a few times,' she shared.

'Yeah, my five-year-old's trying to be malicious by kicking the ball in the goal and then accidentally hitting your fence.'

In a moment of defiance, Renee gave the fence one more kick with the ball.

'Here is one f****** more,' she said.

The story quickly gained traction online, with Aussies taking sides.

Some sympathised with the neighbour, understanding the irritation that could come from unwanted noise.

'I'm definitely with your neighbour. Nothing more irritating than a ball hitting the fence,' one commenter wrote.

Another added that the sound would drive her and her dogs 'nuts'.

However, others rallied behind Renee.

Some comments called the neighbour's complaint 'crazy' and said the reaction to a child's play was over the top.

Some applauded Renee's kick as the 'perfect' ending to make her point.
This incident raises questions about the balance between children's play and neighbourly tolerance.

Watch Renee’s full story here:

Source: @reneebarendregt/TikTok

Sounds of laughter and playfulness can sometimes clash with the need for peace.

It also highlighted the importance of direct communication and understanding in shared living spaces.
Key Takeaways

• A mum experienced an aggressive incident with her neighbour over her son playing soccer in their backyard.
  • The neighbour allegedly yelled at the mother-son duo for hitting the shared fence with the soccer ball, expressed concerns it could scare her animals, and demanded respect.
  • The mother expressed her anger and frustration online, receiving mixed support with some siding with the neighbour.
  • The incident sparked discussions about boundaries and neighbourly relations, with opinions divided on the appropriateness of Renee's actions and the neighbour's complaint.
What's your take on Renee's situation? Do you think the neighbour's complaint was justified, or was the reaction too harsh for child's play? We would love to hear your stories and tips on maintaining good neighbourly relations in the comments below.

Sponsored
Maybe it’s the only place they can play. In so many suburbs, the houses/units are so close together. And to me, it`s great to hear Parents and Kids outside playing, instead of each on their laptops etc inside.
My son has a large soccer net. The ball does occasionally hit the fence. His support worker‘s regulate playing time.

A ball bouncing just drives me crazy.the repetitive sound of it & if on a fence next door would really annoy me. Why can’t they play away from the fence.sounds like a spoilt child.!

Yeah, bit of a fail from both camps here.
Neighbour: probably not a good start to solving an issue by yelling. Usually doesn't engage the other party in a good way, although shaking and fuming is a bit of a stretch.
Mother: Immediate reaction was not the best exercise in role modelling for the kid. What use does Social Media play in the drama beyond exacerbating it to a wider audience. Didn't do anything for the Mother nor the Neighbour.
Both: Did not do a thing in terms of any positive suggestion to resolve an issue.
Kid & Animals: Innocent parties and witnesses to poor adult human behaviour.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Sorry to disappoint but I disagree - if more parents took the time to actually spend quality time with their kids we wouldn't have as many little criminals on the streets! I suggest the neighbour has no respect or consideration and obviously doesn't like children - children make noise and play or have you forgotten?
Disagree all you like, I don't care. I stand by my comment. The neighbour has the right to peace and quiet in his own home. In this case the kid is learning that disrespect and apathy are ok. Children need to be taught manners and consideration. If they were there wouldn't as many little criminals on the streets! Children imitate their parents or have you forgotten?

Reactions: mylittletibbies
I am so fed up with people with children being so entitled. Prior to moving last year, for three years I put up with the brat next door thumping a basketball all hours of day and night in the communal driveway of the block of four units he lived in. He also kept smashing the ball into the metal garage door and my fence. In school holidays, had 5 of his friends over yelling, screaming, thumping. I work from home and the communal driveway was parallel to my back garden, so there was no peace. Nicely speaking to his father got me nowhere. I then wrote a letter to the parents. The response I received was nothing short of abusive. I finally resorted to contacting the Police, where a kind-hearted Sargeant took pity on me and paid them a visit. Our local park was a two-minute walk away. Sadly this is the world we live in today. Entitled people breeding, and raising entitled brats. This is the reason we have ferals running around and teachers are in fear. Basic manners, morals and ethics do not exist. It all srarts in the home. I totally agree with the other's comments backing the poor neighbour. This kid will grow up thinking he can do as he pleases.

Last edited: