Neighbours fans left FUMING after being pranked on April Fools’ Day – joke gone too far?

Every year on April 1st, it’s extremely common for people everywhere to one-up each other in an annual display of tomfoolery.

As many Aussies across the country cook up their funniest jokes and shenanigans, this is the only day when it’s socially acceptable to prank and play jokes on each other.

But sometimes, these jokes can go a little too far.

Earlier in March this year, it was officially announced that the iconic Aussie TV soap ‘Neighbours’ would be axed for good, after nearly four decades on our television screens.

The production company behind the soap confirmed that they had been unable to save the show and had no other option than to stop the longtime-running programme altogether.

Ever since the news broke out, thousands of fans have expressed their frustration and dismay on social media, with many of them rallying to try and keep the show alive.

But earlier this month, Neighbours fans were both shocked and surprised to find that the Aussie show had “been thrown a lifeline” and was due to head back to Channel 7, where it first premiered in 1985.

In an article posted by the Australian website TV Tonight, it was said that an executive at Channel 7 swooped in and saved the show in an all-new deal.

The article was full of promises of a thunderous return for the show, and even featured a statement from the network’s CEO, James Warburton.

“We are proud to welcome the show back home to the network where it all began,” he said.

“Fans will continue to see the loves and lives of Toadie, Dr Karl & Susan, Paul Robinson and everybody in Erinsborough, in the coming months. Together with Home & Away Seven is now home to a legacy of 70 years of iconic Australian drama.”

However, thousands of fans were left devastated with their hopes crushed when they reached the end of the article, which reads: “Yup, annual April Fool’s Day post.”

Turns out, the most awaited news of the show’s revival was nothing but an April Fools’ prank.

CVAMpW9R2pFDb3j6-MW_U7bq0rF850Dx9OkhiLkpGaYIK8VVXhyVQA8vt8B7rVj90CLTvh5JR69zIylqD8L25sbY6V4ZBRE6iW6NOecv1n_duFnLGXG5HS4yMpWnmsyP6zNKuf6E

A cruel prank has left thousands of Neighbours fans fuming. Credit: Channel 5.

Thousands of Neighbours fans all over social media are expressing their anger and disappointment over the misleading news article, even going as far as calling it “the cruellest April Fool's Day joke” they have ever seen.

“Is this legit or an April Fool's joke? If it's a joke NOT FUNNY,” one user wrote.

Others also pointed out how insensitive the article is for the cast and crew of the longtime-running show, who will be left without jobs after the show goes off-air.

“Unfortunately, I must agree with most of the comments here with this article being in poor taste,” wrote one user. “Whilst the cast and crew are yet to cease production, I think it is a little like running salt into the wound.”

A second user added: “Yes, it’s April Fools’ Day, but I think this was a case of “too soon”.”

“The pain is real for those who have lost their jobs and although I’m far less concerned for fans of the show (of which I am one of the biggest), it’s a little distasteful to get their hopes up when the disappointment is still so fresh and raw.”

Production for Neighbours will end in June this year, and the final episode of the soap will be aired two months later, sometime in August.

What are your thoughts, folks?

Was the fake article in poor taste, or was it excusable because it was April Fools’ Day?

Sponsored
Neighbours fans left FUMING after being pranked on April Fools’ Day – joke gone too far?

Every year on April 1st, it’s extremely common for people everywhere to one-up each other in an annual display of tomfoolery.

As many Aussies across the country cook up their funniest jokes and shenanigans, this is the only day when it’s socially acceptable to prank and play jokes on each other.

Earlier in March this year, it was officially announced that the iconic Aussie TV soap ‘Neighbours’ would be axed for good, after nearly four decades on our television screens.

The production company behind the soap confirmed that they had been unable to save the show and had no other option than to stop the longtime-running programme altogether.

Ever since the news broke out, thousands of fans have expressed their frustration and dismay on social media, with many of them rallying to try and keep the show alive.

But earlier this month, Neighbours fans were both shocked and surprised to find that the Aussie show had “been thrown a lifeline” and was due to head back to Channel 7, where it first premiered in 1985.

In an article posted by the Australian website TV Tonight, it was said that an executive at Channel 7 swooped in and saved the show in an all-new deal.

The article was full of promises of a thunderous return for the show, and even featured a statement from the network’s CEO, James Warburton.

“We are proud to welcome the show back home to the network where it all began,” he said.

“Fans will continue to see the loves and lives of Toadie, Dr Karl & Susan, Paul Robinson and everybody in Erinsborough, in the coming months. Together with Home & Away Seven is now home to a legacy of 70 years of iconic Australian drama.”

However, thousands of fans were left devastated with their hopes crushed when they reached the end of the article, which reads: “Yup, annual April Fool’s Day post.”

Turns out, the most awaited news of the show’s revival was nothing but an April Fools’ prank.

CVAMpW9R2pFDb3j6-MW_U7bq0rF850Dx9OkhiLkpGaYIK8VVXhyVQA8vt8B7rVj90CLTvh5JR69zIylqD8L25sbY6V4ZBRE6iW6NOecv1n_duFnLGXG5HS4yMpWnmsyP6zNKuf6E

Thousands of Neighbours fans all over social media are expressing their anger and disappointment over the misleading news article, even going as far as calling it “the cruellest April Fool's Day joke” they have ever seen.

“Is this legit or an April Fool's joke? If it's a joke NOT FUNNY,” one user wrote.

Others also pointed out how insensitive the article is for the cast and crew of the longtime-running show, who will be left without jobs after the show goes off-air.

“Unfortunately, I must agree with most of the comments here with this article being in poor taste,” wrote one user. “Whilst the cast and crew are yet to cease production, I think it is a little like running salt into the wound.”

A second user added: “Yes, it’s April Fools’ Day, but I think this was a case of “too soon”.”

“The pain is real for those who have lost their jobs and although I’m far less concerned for fans of the show (of which I am one of the biggest), it’s a little distasteful to get their hopes up when the disappointment is still so fresh and raw.”

Production for Neighbours will end in June this year, and the final episode of the soap will be aired two months later, sometime in August.

Was the fake article in poor taste, or was it excusable because it was April Fools’ Day?
This was in extremely BAD taste and actually not even a joke! 👎

Reactions: Ricci

This was in extremely BAD taste and actually not even a joke!

Was the fake article in poor taste, or was it excusable because it was April Fools’ DaAb

All because channel ten was sold whatever happened to what the people wanted

• Sad
All because channel ten was sold whatever happened to what the people wanted
You'll get what you're given and be thankful or you can always vote with your remote! The TV stations are only interested in turning a profit, that's why we get so many cheap, mass produced American shows and re-runs. Quality TV shows with believable story lines and named actors are few and far between these days, that's why subscription TV has become so popular.:(:mad: