Mystery 'sale' price tag at local store leaves shopper baffled! What's the catch?

It's always a pleasant surprise to come across a good sale while grocery shopping, but sometimes there's more to it than meets the eye—or, in this case, the price tag.

Let us tell you about a shopper who had a rather interesting (and confusing) experience at their local Woolies.

The story began when the customer shared a suspicious photo on the popular forum website Reddit, showing a bright yellow sales tag fixed neatly on top of the product's original price tag for a jar of Sandhurst Sauerkraut 500g.

The new sales tag read, 'Special. $4. Was $4.50. Save 50c.' That sounds like a sweet deal, right?

Well, brace yourself because the original price tag lurking underneath had a completely different story.

Screen Shot 2023-07-18 at 10.29.13 AM.png
A supermarket shopper spotted a discrepancy while browsing at their local Woolworths store. Credit: Reddit.

Imagine the shopper's surprise when they discovered that the sneaky original price tag showcased a mere $3.70! Yes, you read that right! That's quite a substantial difference from the supposedly 'special' sale price of $4.

Naturally, this sparked a flurry of comments from fellow shoppers, many of which suspected price gouging from the supermarket giant. 'It's like they aren't even trying to hide the fact they are price gouging us,' a fellow shopper said.

'They didn't even try to cover up the original price,' another commented.

A third user even joked, 'Why pay $3.70 when you can pay $4?'

'This should be illegal,' added a fourth commenter.

Other users took on a more neutral stance, saying that the discrepancy might simply have been the result of human error.

For its part, Woolworths has yet to comment on the situation, although one customer pointed out that shoppers should still be protected by Australian consumer law. It states that if two prices are displayed for one item, the lower price is the one that legally applies.

'Businesses must charge the lowest price, or stop selling the item until the price is corrected,' according to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC),

This is great news for anyone who wants to be sure they are paying only what they need to when they hit up their local supermarket.

Key Takeaways

• A supermarket shopper noticed a discrepancy in the pricing of a product at a local Woolworths store.
  • The sales tag for Sandhurst Sauerkraut read, 'Special. $4. Was $4.50. Save 50c,' but the original tag, still visible, showed the price as $3.70.
  • The incident sparked varied reactions on Reddit, from humour to accusations of price gouging, while some suggested it was an innocent mistake.
  • Australian consumer law states that when two prices are displayed for an item, the business must charge the lowest price or stop selling the item until the price is corrected.

It seems the 'buyer beware' or 'let the buyer beware' saying still holds true, and members should make sure to always double-check any marked prices and read the labelling to avoid being caught out and charged the wrong amount.

At the end of the day, it's always better to be safe than sorry, and you should always try and shop around for the best deal.

We here at the SDC will keep a close eye on this story to see if Woolworths or any other supermarkets come under fire for any suspicious activities because we know you, our members, don't like to be taken for a ride!

Members, what do you think? Have any of you ever encountered a situation like this before? You know, when you're strolling through the supermarket and discover that the regular price was actually lower than the so-called 'sale' price? We'd be thrilled if you could share your stories with us in the comments. We're eager to hear from you!

Sponsored
I bought a whole chicken from Coles on Sale for $4 , at the check out was charged $16. I told the lady I would not take it and promptly she asked the supervisor to check and yes it was $4 the ticketing did not show it was a quick sale. It pays to check the receopt before leavin.

I was charged the regular price for an item from IGA rather than the sale price recently. I took the receipt & item back (I had not left the car park) & pointed out the error. One staff member went to check & the sale price ticket should have been removed before that date as it had a date when sale price ended. They did refund me all my money.
I have found the same problem with WW having a sale price higher than regular price. I removed the sale price tag from the shelf then complained that I had been overcharged at checkout. Got my money back.

It's always a pleasant surprise to come across a good sale while grocery shopping, but sometimes there's more to it than meets the eye—or, in this case, the price tag.

Let us tell you about a shopper who had a rather interesting (and confusing) experience at their local Woolies.

The story began when the customer shared a suspicious photo on the popular forum website Reddit, showing a bright yellow sales tag fixed neatly on top of the product's original price tag for a jar of Sandhurst Sauerkraut 500g.

The new sales tag read, 'Special. $4. Was $4.50. Save 50c.' That sounds like a sweet deal, right?

Well, brace yourself because the original price tag lurking underneath had a completely different story.

View attachment 25365
A supermarket shopper spotted a discrepancy while browsing at their local Woolworths store. Credit: Reddit.

Imagine the shopper's surprise when they discovered that the sneaky original price tag showcased a mere $3.70! Yes, you read that right! That's quite a substantial difference from the supposedly 'special' sale price of $4.

Naturally, this sparked a flurry of comments from fellow shoppers, many of which suspected price gouging from the supermarket giant. 'It's like they aren't even trying to hide the fact they are price gouging us,' a fellow shopper said.

Other users took on a more neutral stance, saying that the discrepancy might simply have been the result of human error.

For its part, Woolworths has yet to comment on the situation, although one customer pointed out that shoppers should still be protected by Australian consumer law. It states that if two prices are displayed for one item, the lower price is the one that legally applies.

'Businesses must charge the lowest price, or stop selling the item until the price is corrected,' according to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC),

This is great news for anyone who wants to be sure they are paying only what they need to when they hit up their local supermarket.

Key Takeaways

• A supermarket shopper noticed a discrepancy in the pricing of a product at a local Woolworths store.
  • The sales tag for Sandhurst Sauerkraut read, 'Special. $4. Was $4.50. Save 50c,' but the original tag, still visible, showed the price as $3.70.
  • The incident sparked varied reactions on Reddit, from humour to accusations of price gouging, while some suggested it was an innocent mistake.
  • Australian consumer law states that when two prices are displayed for an item, the business must charge the lowest price or stop selling the item until the price is corrected.

It seems the 'buyer beware' or 'let the buyer beware' saying still holds true, and members should make sure to always double-check any marked prices and read the labelling to avoid being caught out and charged the wrong amount.

At the end of the day, it's always better to be safe than sorry, and you should always try and shop around for the best deal.

We here at the SDC will keep a close eye on this story to see if Woolworths or any other supermarkets come under fire for any suspicious activities because we know you, our members, don't like to be taken for a ride!

Members, what do you think? Have any of you ever encountered a situation like this before? You know, when you're strolling through the supermarket and discover that the regular price was actually lower than the so-called 'sale' price? We'd be thrilled if you could share your stories with us in the comments. We're eager to hear from you!
This may be new to some, but it's really a very old practice.... My ex-MIL worked at a very well known and trusted department store in Brisbane area and told me that when "sales" were on the prices were often marked up by 1 cent or so to appear different.... that was more than 45 years ago.

View attachment 25365

Key Takeaways

I saw jeans at KMart that I’d previously bought for $23 and as I liked them so much, returned to find a big sale sign of $25!!!!

Reactions: Macarj and Ezzy
It may be a bit difficult at times to memorize the price of each and every item you put in your basket or trolley but shoppers, try to remain vigilant as the items are being scanned and processed before paying for your goods. I am sure we have all been caught out at one time or another.

Or all they had to do was take their photo to customer service in the store and they would have sorted it out straight away, but no, this person wanted to be a "social media hero" , instead. 🙄

And "For its part, Woolworths has yet to comment on the situation"
Why should they? Must happen a lot due to human error? They'd be commenting all day.

I had same sort of problem in Chemist Warehouse. They always put hundreds of tickets on their shelves. I bought something reduced there and saw in very small letters it seemed it expired about a week before. I told them at the checkout. They got someone to check and they sold it to me at the reduced price. Then they sent someone to take off every wrong label. 🙂 That's it. No running to social media!!!!

Just more proof the BIG 2 are ripping us off daily, I fail to see WHY the prices are changing weekly, the workers certainly aren't getting pay rises weekly so why the PRICE HIKES.
I think that for the most part, prices change to offer discounts in purchasing. No doubt over time you will have noticed that the regular prices you have paid for something have either permanently gone up or permanently come down. Obviously coming down is a good thing. The workers are not getting pay rises because it is a business and employees are set an hourly rate to work. I think if you look hard enough, there are not many places at all that are giving employees pay increases. This of course will change as the CPI changes.

Reactions: Ezzy and Jennylolo
I bought a whole chicken from Coles on Sale for $4 , at the check out was charged $16. I told the lady I would not take it and promptly she asked the supervisor to check and yes it was $4 the ticketing did not show it was a quick sale. It pays to check the receopt before leavin.
I bought two small legs of lamb at Coles last week on special for $10/kg. I thought they were a bit small so I checked the weight before I cooked them. One leg was labled at 2.067kg but weighed only 1.674kg. The other labelled 1.595kg weighed only 1.295kg. This discrepancy meant that I was overcharged $7. Now we can't trust the truth in labelling.

View attachment 25365

Key Takeaways

Wait till Woolies bring in those digital price tags, if you find a price discrepancy and then report it at the sales counter where you should pay for the cheaper price, they will be able to change that to the dearer price and then disagree with you. Just saying.😁

I think that for the most part, prices change to offer discounts in purchasing. No doubt over time you will have noticed that the regular prices you have paid for something have either permanently gone up or permanently come down. Obviously coming down is a good thing. The workers are not getting pay rises because it is a business and employees are set an hourly rate to work. I think if you look hard enough, there are not many places at all that are giving employees pay increases. This of course will change as the CPI changes.
That doesn't really have much to do with what I said, I wanted to know what their excuse was for the weekly price hikes, I don't think I have seen ANYTHING come DOWN in price, could be wrong but my eyes have not seen lower prices for 2to 3 years just up up up up. I used wages just as an example.

Reactions: Macarj
What I woulkd do. Rip tghe $4 sign off.Then go throughbn the check out. If it comes up at $4 queary it and say the ticket shows $3;90. Then get it for free.

That doesn't really have much to do with what I said, I wanted to know what their excuse was for the weekly price hikes, I don't think I have seen ANYTHING come DOWN in price, could be wrong but my eyes have not seen lower prices for 2to 3 years just up up up up. I used wages just as an example.
Yeah ok

View attachment 25365

Key Takeaways

I’ve had the same issue with WW nuttelex marg. Got it free

I am so happy to learn that many contributors here are so perfect they don't make mistakes. There are literally hundreds of thousands of products in all supermarkets and each one is priced on the shelf by a human. That human (present company here accepted of course) is inevitably going to make a mistake. So when it does, why can't people just POLITELY bring it to the attention of the supermarket staff at the time instead of going for the public 'gotcha' moment on social media?

Ok, they get their 10 seconds of fame and a few likes but they would do a far greater service to far greater numbers by reporting it at the time of purchase.

Reactions: TheBear and Ezzy

View attachment 25365

Key Takeaways

'Woolworths is yet to comment on this situation', however they didn't wast any time in Western Australia announcing that their self service checkouts at 106 stores will have a face lift over the next 2 years. Each checkout will will have an overhead camera which will see if a customer doesn't scan an item before packing it. Failure to do so will result in a red light at that checkout alerting a staff member to this when the customer will be given the opportunity to bring it back & scan. This, the Woolworths spokeswoman stated would cut down on theft. She did not however say if less theft would result in lower prices or less staff & fewer checkouts. The first stores to see these changes are in 2 country areas of W.A. In the news item the person can clearly be seen passing the item in front of themselves & not doing a scan.