SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
T

TriciaR

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 28, 2023
myGov scam email

Members, please beware. Unfortunately, we’ve recently received a scam email in our own inbox. These cruel scammers’ tactics are becoming increasingly intricate, so much so that they closely resemble legitimate communications.

Please remain cautious of any unexpected emails or messages, especially those asking for personal information or containing suspicious links.

For your reference, here’s what the email we received looked like:

AD_4nXcjaPVlRZa8_sIhfbwcs61X5pejAgnQsEy2AsvMT-54J4juC43BJMeOpnIjY98tgS7vS1rxx2c17fxLxtiRGDFJysHolJLfL7VzLGH89fBB0HT0k0qWCORKZZubW9tC2cHGVRAdu-UoZiPwSDeYd7mtVsVf

The dead giveaway that this is a scam is the sender’s email address:
AD_4nXc7sEp4ld82N8DEyj1Eyh7JAceIP42OUHkJ17jzJkVBhCf5oxcPsrvwB4WjxHYuh16pIV5qqBXDI4NkiI_a1BIIBnPEJZc51UOhWP7v9uz8gMa_Pit3srP1Izk8M0KTl9ZtsV4GV9RlTvSUPlUgJ6F9qm-k

What do you do if you receive an email like this? DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS.

Also, report this email as a scam by following the screenshots below:
AD_4nXfVmsMUSNGOa3j5RAW7g4J-8wAc80GHrfLbXmod75azDZc8XMhJLr713hCXCG0tQqshB_7cQO6Y4e1ja-NHqy73_bl7vA2uTImGyMyKzYOdBOGG4Z_R0yRrUOxfYWJ8RA1Z2p69G_wztmB1KT0P483Kg7n3

AD_4nXc4ihSDXAA8MeIEFJ7SiLWgyPC5yZ4F10V8nv511oWNPjOFAoGzyz6O3w0_6rwmZqTZYyldABruJ7sW6sM9Ls0WVNeWRv_zxoY6uRrFfU6qOfseBR8tyIrNkPGjifM_o7ROIUEHXIBZ7N8ExvoDw46IHsac

Have you received this kind of email, too? You can share your experience below so we can also warn our other members.

I get a My Gov scam email after every time I open My Gov correctly. I keep reporting the scam emails to the government reporting page. I have no faith whatsover in the government site security. I don’t want to be coerced into a QR code as these would be equally open to abuse in my opinion.

I get a My Gov scam email after every time I open My Gov correctly. I keep reporting the scam emails to the government reporting page. I have no faith whatsover in the government site security. I don’t want to be coerced into a QR code as these would be equally open to abuse in my opinion.
I've only received one so far in the whole time I have had a MyGov account (which is several years) and that was a few days ago.

Reactions: Ezzy and Richardy
I got an email from my gov telling me that my tax return was ready, totally scam and deleted, I have already received my notice from the ATO and did not get a return because I am on a pension and haven’t worked for 2 years. But it is so easy to see how some people get caught, particularly with these hard times when most are so short of money. Just take care everyone.

The best thing to remember is that the MyGov is the federal government and as we all know they ain't going to give us any money that they can get out of give us.
Anyway that is the way I look at it, I get all these emails stating that I am going to get a refund or some other way of getting money from MyGov I just delete them they are all scams trust me the federal government isn't that generous.

Please don't click on any of them they are scams and a scammer only needs access to your hard drive for a few seconds and then they can duplicate your hard drive drive empty your bank account etc.

ALSO never download a program called ANY DESK If you receive a email or phone call say that you have a problem with your computer and they will fix it remotely Any Desk gives them total control over your computer they can see everything on your device and can copy it in seconds.

If you get a phone call like this hang up immediately if the same number calls you again don't answer the phone. If you have any concerns about the issue call your bank most have a 24 hour contact number.

I get these emails from time to time. Lowlife scammers! Knowing MyGov will alert me through txt if there are messages in the app Inbox, I delete the scam emails immediately. Simple!

You say "Also, report this email as a scam by following the screenshots below: ..."
The screenshots are great but, in the email on my desktop computer, I can't find anything that resembles them. I switched to New Outlook and still found nothing relevant.
Any advice on how to access the drop-down menu for handling spam would be much appreciated.

Reactions: Leanne D
I'm getting a scam email supposedly from Telstra saying my account is overdue.
I've had dozens of these emails supposedly from Telstra. I have also had scam emails stating that my security on my emails has run out and requesting that I pay for the renewal. To me these are obviously scams but to some people they might be fooled. Telstra does not send emails for renewal of a part of their emails like security as it is automatically included.

Reactions: Tervueren and Ezzy
I've had dozens of these emails supposedly from Telstra. I have also had scam emails stating that my security on my emails has run out and requesting that I pay for the renewal. To me these are obviously scams but to some people they might be fooled. Telstra does not send emails for renewal of a part of their emails like security as it is automaticfrom Telstra to Southern Phones my scam cally included.
I've had dozens of these emails supposedly from Telstra. I have also had scam emails stating that my security on my emails has run out and requesting that I pay for the renewal. To me these are obviously scams but to some people they might be fooled. Telstra does not send emails for renewal of a part of their emails like security as it is automatically included.
Change carriers I changed from Telstra to Southern Phones my scam calls dropped by about 85%
These carriers can stop a lot of scam calls if they are doing there job that we are paying big money for.
If the larger population starting dumped the larger telcos you would see a huge drop in scam calls getting through to the customer they would then do the job they are supposed to do.
I still get scam calls but it would be about 20% of what I was getting.
I don't answer blocked numbers or overseas numbers unless they text or email me advising me of the outcome calls. Problem solved

Reactions: Tervueren