Mum's outrage sparks controversy: Is this Kmart product inappropriate for children?

Imagine hopping on social media, hoping for applause and comforting words. Instead, you find yourself dodging virtual tomatoes as the crowd turns against you.

That's what happened to one mum after she took to social media to voice her concerns over a Kmart product she deemed inappropriate for her daughter.

The Short Sleeve True Knit Elbow Sleeve Top ($18) by Kmart is a seemingly unremarkable basic knit that comes in a variety of colours.

Despite this, a mum named Whitney deemed the garment ‘too revealing’ for her daughter.

She said, ‘Okay, I'm never one to complain, but when did Kmart start selling such revealing clothing?’

‘I don't want my daughter to be going around wearing this and showing her figure to the entire world. Who is with me?’

However, Whitney's outcry backfired as fellow shoppers and parents were left scratching their heads, finding the top modest and appropriate for all ages.

photo (10).jpg
This Short Sleeve True Knit Elbow Sleeve Top ($18) by Kmart became the centre of an online debate when one mum deemed it inappropriate for her daughter. Image Source: Kmart

The Kmart model showcased the top in size 12, with the item available in sizes ranging from six to 20, and was notably featured in the adult section of the Kmart website, not the children's section.

Many social media users were left bewildered by the post.

‘Am I missing something?’ one person wrote.

Another person said, ‘I can't tell if this is satire or not.’

Many urged Whitney to ignore products she feels are unsuitable for her children.

One commenter said, ‘I feel like if you don't like it, don't buy it for her. I like the shirt. Nothing wrong with it.’

Another added, ‘Kmart has always sold stuff like this. If you don't want your daughter wearing it, don't buy it. Your household, your rules.’

'I feel like if you don't like it, don't buy it for her. I like the shirt. Nothing wrong with it,' a third commenter said.

Another commenter chimed in, informing her that clothing like this is common and said, ‘Welcome to the wide world of fashion, and the pre-teen/teenage years. This would be called modest compared to some that they sell.’

This isn't Kmart's first time at the centre of a parental debate.

Recently, another mum expressed her dismay upon discovering that her daughter’s dollhouse contained an alarming detail. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • A mum criticised the Short Sleeve True Knit Elbow Sleeve Top ($18) from Kmart as 'too revealing' for her daughter.
  • Other shoppers, confused by the complaint, did not consider the top revealing.
  • Fellow parents and shoppers suggested that if the mother disapproved of the shirt, she should not buy it for her child.
Have you ever had to decide what was appropriate for your child to wear? How do you navigate the complex world of children's fashion and body positivity? Share your experiences and insights in the comments below!

Sponsored
I've seen young teens in very short shorts, bikini tops, and loose crop tops that you can see everything even the under boob which I deep Inappropriate but definitely not this shirt. What does this attention seeking mum want, nun habits for her teenager, feel for the poor kid.
We’ve all been there done that haven’t we many moons ago. Gosh we were hot hot hot were we not.🤣🤣those were the days my friends.