Kmart dollhouse includes alarming detail for parents: ‘I’d rather be safe’

Children's toys are often seen as a haven for exploration. After all, it's a way for kids to play and fuel their imaginations.

However, a recent dollhouse issue sparked a heated debate among parents and raised concerns about what toys can convey to young ones.

A mum named Simone found a tiny weighing scale in the Six-piece Wooden Dollhouse Bathroom set she purchased from Kmart for her daughter.

The concerned mum took to social media to express her dismay.

'Probably not gonna teach my little girl she needs scales in her bathroom Kmart,' she wrote.

'It went in the bin,' she added on the video's caption.

compressed-kmart (1).jpeg
Simone shared her shock about the Kmart toy set on social media. Image Credit: TikTok/simonenavybox

The video sparked a conversation about body image and the pressures that can begin in childhood.

Some commenters on the video praised the mother for taking a stand.

'Thank you! A lot of people think it's not that serious, but I'd rather be safe than ruin my kids' teenage years,' one parent wrote.

'It does start at home.'

'Personally, my family never kept a scale & the only time one was ever in our home, my sister bought it during her first severe battle with her eating disorder,' another user echoed the sentiment.

On the flip side, some argue that the presence of scales is not an issue but the context in which they were introduced.

'Healthy association with scales is better than avoiding them!' one commenter suggested.

'This is so true. Make her aware of what a scale is and how we use it to measure how big our bodies are getting!' another person wrote.

'Sometimes we use them to ensure we're healthy, but they're mostly just numbers!'

Some shoppers found humour and alternative uses for the scales.

'My daughter uses it as a toilet lid,' one wrote.

'Put it on the wall and tell her it's a digital clock,' another jested.

These reactions highlight a growing concern among parents and caregivers about the potential impact of toys on children's mental health and self-esteem.

It's important to remember that support is available for those dealing with eating disorders and body image issues.

Organisations like the Butterfly Foundation offer confidential support through their national hotline at 1-800-33-4673.

Staying informed is essential as we navigate the ever-evolving landscape of children's toys.

Engage in conversations about the values we want to instil in our grandchildren.
Key Takeaways

• A mother criticised Kmart for including a tiny scale in a dollhouse bathroom set, which could negatively influence body image.
  • The video that discussed the issue garnered nearly 3 million views, triggering a debate in the comments section.
  • Some commenters supported the mother's decision, citing concerns about eating disorders and its impact on children's self-esteem.
  • Others argued for teaching a healthy association with scales, while some responses also included humorous or alternative perspectives on using the toy scale.
Have you encountered similar issues with toys? How do you approach these topics with your grandchildren? Share your insights with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
How silly is that. I still have my dollhouse that my father made for me when I was little. I wouldn't have cared if it included a scale. However, there wasn't any online crazy sites with anorexia or eating disorders compared to today.
How daft can a person get? lt is you putting silly ideas in her head by making such a fuss.Weighing scales are a common thing in many household as in mine with a family of three girls and two boys l never had any issues as my childrens children haven't.Grow up you silly person

How daft can a person get? lt is you putting silly ideas in her head by making such a fuss.Weighing scales are a common thing in many household as in mine with a family of three girls and two boys l never had any issues as my childrens children haven't.Grow up you silly person
I don't want to grow up. I still want to play with my dollhouse.

Too much time on your hands sweetheart - get a life and stop acting like an idiot if you don't like something DON'T BUY IT. Teach your little girl to eat right and all will be fine. It's a toy and by the look on your face I don't think you had many as a kid, I would have loved the wooden sets K-Mart have these days, if I had girls i'd be in the car on my way there now to buy them scales and all....lol

Last edited:
do you honestly mean to tell me that a child is aware of scales and body weight. WELL, I suppose so if the Mother is stupid enough to go on about this. Jeez back in my day we made our own dolls houses from anything and I do not recall ever being weighed until I went to boarding school. if Mother dear is looking for some sympathy, you have printed on the wrong medium you stupid woman.

6 kids in my house all saw and used the scales in the bathroom. It's about the judgements others make that cause problems.

Next they will be upset over kmart and others selling this common and handy household item.

If this mother makes a big deal over this, then she is the one creating the problem for her daughter. Parents need to stop blaming other people & companies for the way their children are being brought up & what they are exposed to. You are the parent, so parent your child & stop pushing "adult worries & problems" into their brains. Let your child have a childhood. Children learn by watching & listening to what their parents say & do, so parents influence how their child will react, (or over-react), to situations, So, be careful with your words & actions around children.

why hav
Some people over analyse simple, everyday things. Those that post their concerns are just looking for attention. Those ones are just bored and boring individuals. 😑🥱
Why have you bothered to post your views? You have done exactly what we have done. I find it boring. A big yawn from me.

why hav

Why have you bothered to post your views? You have done exactly what we have done. I find it boring. A big yawn from me.
I posted my views because I chose to. SDC members are encouraged to post their views, aren’t they? Obviously you are one of those bored, boring, over analytical individuals I am referring to. I’ve not “done exactly what” you have done. I wouldn’t stoop that low.
Stop yawning and go to sleep. Sweet dreams. 😴🤭

why hav

When I was speaking about posting views, I was referring to Simone going to social media to complain about the scales in the dollhouse. I was not referring to the SDC members’ posts.

I posted my views because I chose to. SDC members are encouraged to post their views, aren’t they? Obviously you are one of those bored, boring, over analytical individuals I am referring to. I’ve not “done exactly what” you have done. I wouldn’t stoop that low.
Stop yawning and go to sleep. Sweet dreams. 😴🤭
such a loving creature.

• Angry
Reactions: Veggiepatch