SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

Ally Castillo

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 14, 2022
Mum sparks heated debate for not inviting one student to her daughter's birthday party.

For most of us, birthdays are a special occasion. It’s a chance to celebrate another year well-lived, and to feel loved and surrounded by our friends and family. For kids, birthdays become a whole new ordeal.

One tradition that kids often look forward to is throwing a birthday party. A fun gathering with games, decorations, presents, and cake! What could be better? But sometimes planning a birthday party can turn out to be more stressful than expected.

Just ask this mum who spurred a lively discussion on Reddit, a popular social media forum, after she invited her daughter’s entire class to her birthday party – except for one student.

The 28-year-old mum took to Reddit to ask if she was being unreasonable. The mum wrote that her seven-year-old daughter, Payton, goes to a small school with 20 other kids in her grade.

She followed that up with: ‘Her birthday party is next month and we sent out invitations to her friends at school. We invited the whole class except one student.’

bday1.JPG
Is Payton’s mum being unreasonable or is she just protecting her daughter? Credit: Ron Lach in Pexels

Of course, the mum clarified the situation to people quickly. ‘The student we did not invite has bullied Payton several times.’ She also said that she and her husband have had meetings with the school and parents.

‘Obviously, Payton doesn’t want this kid at her party.’ She explained.

However, the other girl’s mother contacted her and said that her child feels left out. She said that the other mum called her to say that her daughter is crying about how she was the only kid not invited, and everyone at school is talking about the party. ‘Payton’s parties are known by her classmates to be very over-the-top.’ The mum wrote in the post.

‘The mother said I’m teaching my child to be a “bully” and using her wealth to make friends. I disagreed.’

bday2.JPG
The mum doesn’t want her child to feel uncomfortable at her own birthday party. Credit: Ron Lach in Pexels

The mum then explained to the other girl’s mother that ‘her daughter isn’t nice to my daughter, and that’s the reason she wasn’t invited—the mother knows this’. But then, the other kid’s mother asked that, if she had her daughter apologise and write a letter to Payton, would she and her husband reconsider?

‘I told her we would not and it has become a big deal every time I see the mum.’ She said in the forum thread. The mum also clarified that Payton’s birthday invitations were not handed out in the classroom, instead, she handed them to the parents directly.

Many users were quick to come to the defence of Payton’s mum. One person commented: ‘Your daughter has every right to feel safe at her party. This is a thing this girl is going to miss out on and she’s upset about that. Which I guess is understandable, but here is the thing: Mum didn’t offer an apology before the party.’

pexels-silvia-trigo-1857157.jpg
‘Am I the only one who thinks it’s weird that a 7yr old has a rep for throwing “over the top” parties?’ One person wrote in the comments. Credit: Silvia Trigo

‘She is only doing it now because her kid is the “victim”.’ The same user further explained that Payton doesn’t deserve to be walking on eggshells at her party. ‘Your child deserves to feel safe.’ They said.

Someone else wrote, ‘This is a great time for the bully’s mum to teach them that actions have consequences.’

One psychologist even chimed in and agreed that this is one of the few instances where excluding a child from a party is appropriate. ‘It would be a horrible violation of your daughter’s boundaries to bring her school bully into her safe place, her home.’

Key Takeaways

• A mum has sparked a heated debate after she invited everyone in her daughter’s class to the little girl’s birthday party - except for one student.
  • The student they excluded is Payton’s bully.
  • Thousands of people have rallied behind the mum, with most applauding her for not inviting the bully to her daughter’s birthday.
  • One psychologist said that ‘Excluding the bully kid from the party is not bullying, it’s maintaining boundaries.’

Well, there you have it, folks! What did you think of this mum’s story? Do you think Payton’s mum did the right thing? What would you do in this situation? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below!

Mum sparks heated debate for not inviting one student to her daughter's birthday party.

For most of us, birthdays are a special occasion. It’s a chance to celebrate another year well-lived, and to feel loved and surrounded by our friends and family. For kids, birthdays become a whole new ordeal.

One tradition that kids often look forward to is throwing a birthday party. A fun gathering with games, decorations, presents, and cake! What could be better? But sometimes planning a birthday party can turn out to be more stressful than expected.

Just ask this mum who spurred a lively discussion on Reddit, a popular social media forum, after she invited her daughter’s entire class to her birthday party – except for one student.

The 28-year-old mum took to Reddit to ask if she was being unreasonable. The mum wrote that her seven-year-old daughter, Payton, goes to a small school with 20 other kids in her grade.

She followed that up with: ‘Her birthday party is next month and we sent out invitations to her friends at school. We invited the whole class except one student.’

View attachment 7419
Is Payton’s mum being unreasonable or is she just protecting her daughter? Credit: Ron Lach in Pexels

Of course, the mum clarified the situation to people quickly. ‘The student we did not invite has bullied Payton several times.’ She also said that she and her husband have had meetings with the school and parents.

However, the other girl’s mother contacted her and said that her child feels left out. She said that the other mum called her to say that her daughter is crying about how she was the only kid not invited, and everyone at school is talking about the party. ‘Payton’s parties are known by her classmates to be very over-the-top.’ The mum wrote in the post.

‘The mother said I’m teaching my child to be a “bully” and using her wealth to make friends. I disagreed.’

View attachment 7420
The mum doesn’t want her child to feel uncomfortable at her own birthday party. Credit: Ron Lach in Pexels

The mum then explained to the other girl’s mother that ‘her daughter isn’t nice to my daughter, and that’s the reason she wasn’t invited—the mother knows this’. But then, the other kid’s mother asked that, if she had her daughter apologise and write a letter to Payton, would she and her husband reconsider?

‘I told her we would not and it has become a big deal every time I see the mum.’ She said in the forum thread. The mum also clarified that Payton’s birthday invitations were not handed out in the classroom, instead, she handed them to the parents directly.

Many users were quick to come to the defence of Payton’s mum. One person commented: ‘Your daughter has every right to feel safe at her party. This is a thing this girl is going to miss out on and she’s upset about that. Which I guess is understandable, but here is the thing: Mum didn’t offer an apology before the party.’

View attachment 7412
‘Am I the only one who thinks it’s weird that a 7yr old has a rep for throwing “over the top” parties?’ One person wrote in the comments. Credit: Silvia Trigo

‘She is only doing it now because her kid is the “victim”.’ The same user further explained that Payton doesn’t deserve to be walking on eggshells at her party. ‘Your child deserves to feel safe.’ They said.

Someone else wrote, ‘This is a great time for the bully’s mum to teach them that actions have consequences.’

One psychologist even chimed in and agreed that this is one of the few instances where excluding a child from a party is appropriate. ‘It would be a horrible violation of your daughter’s boundaries to bring her school bully into her safe place, her home.’

Key Takeaways

• A mum has sparked a heated debate after she invited everyone in her daughter’s class to the little girl’s birthday party - except for one student.
  • Thousands of people have rallied behind the mum, with most applauding her for not inviting the bully to her daughter’s birthday.
  • One psychologist said that ‘Excluding the bully kid from the party is not bullying, it’s maintaining boundaries.’

Well, there you have it, folks! What did you think of this mum’s story? Do you think Payton’s mum did the right thing? What would you do in this situation? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below!
Yes she did the right thing if the other girls parents can't understand that I guess that's why the girl is a bully

Wow this is a hard one ! The child is only 7 which is so young . The birthday child needs to feel safe but I'm feeling there maybe a bit of bullying with both parents.

In regards to the bully I think the problem definitely lies with the mother, you can see this with her wanting her child to attend this party and going as far as begging. I think she spoils her child and that is where the problem lies

As for the party girl , I think her mum is using this party to get back at the 7 year old bully.

What should have been done is both children and both parents should have come together and discussed the bullying and how being a bully has consequences .

I've always taught my kids the bigger person is the one who says sorry and the one who forgives

I think this party would have been a good way to change what was happening. I feel by how it has ended will now only escalate the problem and it could back fire on the party girl with others end up feeling sorry for the bully and taking her side.

Gosh these are 7 year old little girls.

Last edited:
It's a hard lesson for the bully to learn, but actions have consequences.
I just hope the bully's mother explains this to her, and doesn't stand up for her daughter.
Otherwise, the bullying will escalate.
Yes,that would worry me. Is she opening her daughter up to even more strife? I still wouldn’t invite the nasty child but I feel this isn’t the end of the nastiness by a long shot.

It seems to me that these days parents are far too quick to fight their kids battles themselves. When we were young we were left to sort it out amongst ourselves and our parents backed our decisions either way. Has the little girl said she doesn't want her classmate there has anyone actually asked the classmate how she feels or is it a case of the parents feeling hard done by? Let them sort it out in the playground. ;)

View attachment 7419

View attachment 7420

View attachment 7412

Key Takeaways

Has not one other child in the class been mean or bullied your daughter?
I think it’s a bit over the top to invite every other child except this particular one.

View attachment 7419

View attachment 7420

View attachment 7412

Key Takeaways

No point inviting someone who is a bully!

View attachment 7419

View attachment 7420

View attachment 7412

Key Takeaways

I totally agree with the Mum. Payton has every right to feel safe in her own home.

View attachment 7419

View attachment 7420

View attachment 7412

Key Takeaways

I think this child has every right not to invite a bully into her home. I do feel though this may lead to further bullying by this child. I hope Payton has a wonderful birthday party. I do hope the girls at some stage can work out their differences. I hope this young bully realises that actions have consequences.

Still think the mum was over stating her point by inviting every other child in the class.
Would she have still invited everyone if the bully wasn't a bully.

Again they are only 7 ....7 I look at my 6 year old granddaughter and think she is still a baby.
I would so like to talk to these two mothers.
I don't know how a 7 year old could be a bully.

When my daughter was 6 years old, there was a little girl in her year who had a gang. This bully made other students eat leaves, and performed other nasty acts. My daughter was also bullied. When I mentioned it to the teacher, she wouldn't believe it. The bullies were smart enough to do it when there were no adults around. And yes, like Suzanne rose, they wouldn't believe that young girls could bully others.

When my daughter was 6 years old, there was a little girl in her year who had a gang. This bully made other students eat leaves, and performed other nasty acts. My daughter was also bullied. When I mentioned it to the teacher, she wouldn't believe it. The bullies were smart enough to do it when there were no adults around. And yes, like Suzanne rose, they wouldn't believe that young girls could bully others.
I think any child that young who is bullying is crying out for help , makes me wonder what has then happened to that child to make them hurt others are they being physically abused..mentally abused or even sexually abused.

It's easy to say oh that horrid child but still I say 6 or 7 is so young and what are the underlying issues !
I feel with the original story it was more between the parents.

I think there was an opportunity here to show forgiveness and mend bridges!
I agree that the child should feel safe in her own home but here was a chance to remedy a bad situation instead of perpetuating it
There are issues on both sides I'm sure but prolonging a bad situation will, in the end, only make it worse.
Now that problem will continue only probably more so!

I think there was an opportunity here to show forgiveness and mend bridges!
I agree that the child should feel safe in her own home but here was a chance to remedy a bad situation instead of perpetuating it
There are issues on both sides I'm sure but prolonging a bad situation will, in the end, only make it worse.
Now that problem will continue only probably more so!
Thank you this is exactly what I said. I'm glad someone else sees it as I do

Dealing with the bullying now is right. Don’t let this go on as I saw it happen with my daughter. These girls are craftier than you would believe and it needs to stop now. It went on with my daughter until she was 11 with the same girl who manipulated the girls in two classes of the same age group because my daughter consistantly topped the grade. I had a daughter who wanted to die before it was stopped. Bullying should never be accepted. This mother is right to exclude this child and make it clear her actions are seen by all and not even forgivable. They must just end.

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci
I don't think the bully should be invited to the birthday girl's party if the birthday girl does not want her there. The bully needs to learn that actions have consequences. From the sound of it, the young bully learned her behaviour from her mother, who in turn is trying to bully the birthday girl's mother. When I was young, I was forced to go to my bully's birthday party. I didn't want to be there and she didn't want me there. She went out of her way to make me miserable and make it plain to the other guests that I was only there under sufferance because our mothers organised it. I have actually never gotten over it and it is the reason why I did not attend a recent school reunion, which was organised by my bully.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Zoya and Ricci