Driver receives $2,794 fine for this one dangerous act

As we often remind our readers here at the Seniors Discount Club, safety on the road is paramount, not just for our own well-being but for the safety of our entire community.

It's a lesson that one young motorist in Sydney's south learned the hard way after a costly and dangerous decision that has left many shaking their heads in disbelief.

The incident, which occurred on a quiet residential street in Bexley, involved a 19-year-old P-plater who was caught riding a Honda CBR500 motorbike at a shocking 105 kph in a 50 kph zone.

It happened at 4 p.m. on a school day, a period when children are often making their way home, making the teen's actions even more reckless.

Screenshot 2024-05-20 130610.png
The driver was driving at 105 kmph in a 50 kmph zone. Image source: Traffic and Highway Patrol Command - NSW Police Force/Facebook

City South Highway Patrol didn't hesitate to intercept the motorist, issuing a hefty $2,794 fine and a six-month suspension of his licence.

The New South Wales Traffic and Highway Patrol took to social media to share details of the incident, wryly noting that the rider would need to 'renew his Opal card' as he would be relying on public transport for the foreseeable future.

The post read: ‘The 19-year-old rider of this Honda CBR500 will need to renew his Opal card as he now doesn't have a licence for the next 6 months.’

‘He made the decision to ride his bike through a residential street in Bexley at 105kph at 4:00 pm on a school day afternoon.’

‘Not only did this speed cost him his licence for 6 months, it has also cost him $2,794. Please slow down,’ the statement read.

This teenager's dangerous move is a stark reminder of the consequences of speeding, especially in residential areas where the risk to pedestrians is high.

The fine and licence suspension are significant penalties, but they pale in comparison to the potential cost of human life.

The surge in road deaths in Australia over the past year is alarming, with NSW recording 130 deaths this year alone, up from 115 at the same time last year, according to Transport NSW data.

These statistics are a grim reminder of the importance of road safety and the need for constant vigilance while driving.

In response to the growing concern over road safety, the government has announced a $21 million investment into the National Road Safety Data Hub as part of the 2024 Federal Budget.

This initiative aims to improve the reporting of national road safety data, which is a critical step towards understanding and preventing road accidents.

Catherine King, Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government, has welcomed the investment.

She said: ‘This Data Hub will ensure vital and more harmonised road-safety data can be used effectively by everyone, including decision-makers in all states and territories.’

The Australian Automobile Association (AAA) has also expressed support for the federal government's push for transparency in road data among states and territories.

This move is expected to lead to better-informed strategies for enhancing road safety and reducing the number of fatalities and injuries on Australian roads.

Several experts have expressed concerns about the surge of road deaths in Australia:

Source: ABC News (Australia)/YouTube​

Key Takeaways
  • A teenager was fined $2,794 and had his licence suspended for six months after being caught riding a motorbike at 105kph in a 50kph zone on a school day.
  • The incident occurred in Bexley, Sydney, and was shared online by NSW Traffic and Highway Patrol, which stressed the importance of slowing down on the roads.
  • There has been an increase in road fatalities in NSW, with 130 deaths this year compared to 115 at the same time last year.
  • The Australian government has announced a $21 million investment into the National Road Safety Data Hub as part of the 2024 Federal Budget to improve road safety data reporting.
We invite you to share your thoughts and experiences on road safety. How do you think we can better educate young drivers about the dangers of speeding? Join the conversation in the comments below.

Sponsored
School crossings are generally well signposted, in Tasmania we have lights alerting us to the 40 KPH limit so I would assume other states have this system also, so there is really no excuse for speeding. I travel through a school crossing regularly & while it has a lollipop lady you never know what small children are going to do, or their parents who often think they have right of way. I’d have suspended his license for much longer.

Sadly most of them have to learn the hard way...either with a heavy fine or a "disaster*. I remember..whilst resident of another country...a similar query being raised. Many ideas were received ,,but the one that caught on and was the most successful...a heavy monetary fine..that had to be paid by the youngster...by hard work for the traffic department. Parents were not allowed to contribute. This soon sorted the problem out ...and the few unfortunate youngsters that copped the fine were a leading example to the rest of the young people.

Six-month suspension of his license is ridiculous should be cancelled and 1-2 years. Then start from scratch. Going back to square one, applying for Learners permit and then if he shows he understand the rules and can obey them, then for his "P", while costing me triple for each permit.

School crossings are generally well signposted, in Tasmania we have lights alerting us to the 40 KPH limit so I would assume other states have this system also, so there is really no excuse for speeding. I travel through a school crossing regularly & while it has a lollipop lady you never know what small children are going to do, or their parents who often think they have right of way. I’d have suspended his license for much longer.
in SA it's 25kph in school zones

Reactions: PattiB
Why was his licence not cancelled permanently? The authorities do not take road safety seriously. keen to fine people who are even 10 k/hr over the limit but those clearly out of control are not treated seriously. They are Most people should not have a licence but the government makes too much money off road users to enforce any reasonable standard. I am sick and tired of avoiding all the morons who cannot drive.

Fully agree with comments from BlackWolf and fourwb - the authorities far too lenient for such offences which could have resulted in much serious consequences. Youngsters would not learn or take a note for such small fines and in 6 months time this youngster will probably break the road rules again

Must have been on drugs, that’s crazy!
Really?

What makes you think that? I have ridden high performance motorcycles well in excess of double the speed this fellow was travelling at numerous times. The difference was I didn't get caught and it was done in 110 km/h zones.

Funnily enough, the only substance I was under the influence of was adrenaline.

Fully agree with comments from BlackWolf and fourwb - the authorities far too lenient for such offences which could have resulted in much serious consequences. Youngsters would not learn or take a note for such small fines and in 6 months time this youngster will probably break the road rules again
Read today of a juvenile killing a lady on unregistered motorbike. His 8 months in juvenile detention. Meanwhile family has lost a mother, wife, and no doubt future grandmother. Where is the justice ?

Really?

What makes you think that? I have ridden high performance motorcycles well in excess of double the speed this fellow was travelling at numerous times. The difference was I didn't get caught and it was done in 110 km/h zones.

Funnily enough, the only substance I was under the influence of was adrenaline.
When you think that prior to Decimalisation in 1966 the speed limits were the same, only MPH not KLN. So effectively 100MPH is app 160KLM