Mum shares money-saving secret to bagging grocery shopping bargains

As the cost of living continues to rise, many Australians are feeling the pinch, particularly when it comes to the weekly grocery bill.

In a quest to navigate the grocery aisles more economically, one savvy Australian mum has unveiled her ingenious strategy to slash weekly shopping bills without sacrificing quality or variety.

Cara Bell has turned her back on the big supermarket chains like Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI.

Instead, she's embracing local markets, butchers, and food co-ops to feed her family on a budget.

compressed-shutterstock_660591019.jpeg
Cara Bell suggested avoiding shopping at major supermarkets to save on grocery costs. Credits: Shutterstock

At the heart of Cara's strategy is a commitment to sourcing 'mostly organic' produce directly from farmers' markets.

With just $30, she's able to secure a bounty of fresh fruits and vegetables, along with a carton of eggs. The local butcher is her next stop, where $57 buys her two trays of beef mince, marinated chicken wings, and five grass-fed rump steaks.

It's a whole week's worth of meals for $87—a fraction of what many households spend according to Finder.

‘I definitely don’t buy fruit and vegetables, or bread from the supermarket anymore. I make my own bread now, and my own muffins,’ she said.

Cara doesn't just stop at smart shopping. She's also taken to growing her own produce and keeping chickens.

By joining a food co-op buying group, Cara and other families also pool their resources to purchase bulk items that undercut even the discount supermarkets.

‘We buy bulk organic foods and split [them] between many families,’ Cara said.

‘So, things like nuts, seeds, organic flours, and dates are all cheaper than the supermarket still—plus they are organic and Australian grown.’

By steering clear of supermarkets, Cara has managed to sidestep food scarcities by crafting many items herself.

‘There has been no (pickled) beetroot at the shops, so I've been making my own and my own granola,’ she explained.

‘I also... [have] a huge veggie patch plus fruit trees. I hope this inspires others to try and do the same.’

The benefits of Cara's approach extend beyond her wallet. She's noticed that her food lasts longer, tastes better, and results in limited waste.

‘The quality is much better, nothing goes to waste, as I have chickens and a compost heap,’ she said.

‘Then it goes onto my garden with chook manure and it helps to fertilise my six large veggie patches.’

Bell mentioned that she had ‘always been careful’ in her shopping habits beforehand, but escalated her homemade efforts when the pandemic struck.

‘Things like sourdough bread were getting too expensive to buy, [and] the produce available at the shops was terrible and expensive, or unavailable,’ she recalled.

Cara's story is particularly timely as the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission investigates supermarket pricing practices amidst the cost-of-living crisis.

Consumer expert Gary Mortimer has observed that more and more consumers are shopping around to secure the best deals.

‘Most shoppers today will shop across multiple brands of supermarkets in order to save,’ he said.

‘It's not uncommon to shop at ALDI for the basics like lunchbox snacks, and then pop into a greengrocer for fruit and vegetables, and even Woolworths or Coles to buy other products on “special”.’

Other Australians are following suit, sharing their own tips to slash their grocery bills.

‘I'm going back to the old ways of making and baking food. More healthy too,’ one said.

Some are even opting for 'imperfect' produce, which offers mystery boxes of fruits and vegetables that don't meet the aesthetic standards of the big supermarkets, but are perfectly good to eat.

‘I’ve been getting fruit and vegetables from “Farmers Pick” for six weeks now. Around $65 per fortnight for four adults,’ they shared.

‘The produce is the stuff the big 2 (Coles and Woolworths) reject based on size/shape/maturity. [There's] nothing wrong with it. It’s a mystery box, but makes me think outside of my usual boring meal plans.’

We also have a bunch of tips and tricks to help you save money on grocery shopping.

You can try what Cara did—shopping in other stores aside from supermarkets—and you can also check out this tip if you cannot avoid buying your groceries in supermarkets.
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian mum, Cara Bell, managed to save on grocery costs by avoiding major supermarkets Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI, instead sourcing food from local butchers, farmers markets, and a food co-op buying group.
  • Cara Bell spends $87 a week on groceries for her family, significantly less than the average household's grocery bill, by making her own bread, growing produce, and keeping chickens.
  • By moving away from supermarkets, Bell avoided food shortages and enjoyed better quality food that lasts longer, tastes better, and produces limited waste, adding to her savings.
  • The trend of seeking alternatives to traditional supermarkets is growing among Australian consumers who are looking for better deals and quality, as highlighted by an ongoing investigation into supermarket pricing practices by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.
Would you be willing to try Cara’s method of saving on groceries? Do you have other tips on how to minimise your cost when shopping? Share your thoughts and tricks in the comments below!

Sponsored
we always shop local small Foodworks and save on travel, get the same specials a week or so either side, freshly delivered each week. Same friendly faces who are prepared to also share the load amongst the bags and carry them to the mobility scooters. So we go home with fresh food, specials, great service from locals who care for locals, lighter use again cotton bags that are just the right weight to carry inside. why travel

I live on a regular suburban block. I have slowly replaced ornamentals with edibles. I have several fruit trees, ( very little upkeep), herbs and a few veggie beds. I only grow what I like to eat. Currently harvesting pineapples and dragon fruit. I have a pantry full of home made jams and chutney. They are great to give away for presents, as well.
I would love to keep chooks, however, my dogs would terrorise them. Co-ops are certainly the way to go if you cannot grow your own.

I don't know where she finds this butcher. I have tried several butchers stores in the past.
All were extremely expensive and the meat was tough. I buy all my meat at Aldi. It wouldn't cost me anymore than what she paid. What grade was the mince, how much chicken did she get. You can buy 2kgs of chicken wings from ALDI for $7 and marinate them yourself.
All great and wonderful ideas,I do a lot of them myself. Difference being I live in the country on a big block. Most City folk don't have the room and their councils don't allow chickens.

I have done some of this all my married life, (50 years). Stocked up on items on special. Items reduced often to below half price, freeze them if able to, and one of the things our community has is a "crop swap"
No money changes hands, you simply bring along any food whether it be eggs, fruit, vegetables, herbs, seeds or seedlings for growing food, and take anything you would like. People are invited to come even if they don't have anything to contribute or swap. Occasionally someone will bring a dressed chicken ready to roast!

Reactions: Mina vriesekolk
I have done some of this all my married life, (50 years). Stocked up on items on special. Items reduced often to below half price, freeze them if able to, and one of the things our community has is a "crop swap"
No money changes hands, you simply bring along any food whether it be eggs, fruit, vegetables, herbs, seeds or seedlings for growing food, and take anything you would like. People are invited to come even if they don't have anything to contribute or swap. Occasionally someone will bring a dressed chicken ready to roast!
Where is this Utopia you live in?

Sounds ok if you have a big garden like this woman seems to have.

My local little shopping centre has a butcher outside the entrance to Woolies but their meat is so expensive. Although, I don't buy their meat or Woolies anyway.

I stick to local Woolies for general shopping. I'm not going to keep running around looking for something just a bit cheaper.

Been a full time carer for my 100 yr old mum. I have only 10 hours a week to do shopping, hairdressers etc. so have no time to go from one shop to another to find the cheapest of everything. I go to a butcher who gives you want you want and do not have to buy in bulk. Maybe a bit dearer but it is WA meat and fresh.

Reactions: Phyll
Usually my first shop is Aldi , but I’m fed up with them lately , as they run out of a lot of products I buy and that is going on for months like olives , dark chocolate , chia seeds and pepitas just to mention a few products .
It would be good to go maybe once a month to the country markets for fruit and veges , but i have to drive around 25 min to get there . I have a big backyard and grow some vegetables and have a few fruit trees , plenty of herbs .Still thinking of having a few chooks in the backyard , but it is so wet , worry about the chooks may drown. Also worry about rats and mice and to keep the snakes out . A hare is visiting as well frequently and also a bandicoot digging his snout into the soil. It is not just straight forward .
Also buy from the local farmers like strawberries , pineapples , macadamia nuts and whatever looks good .

Reactions: goatwhisperer
Usually my first shop is Aldi , but I’m fed up with them lately , as they run out of a lot of products I buy and that is going on for months like olives , dark chocolate , chia seeds and pepitas just to mention a few products .
It would be good to go maybe once a month to the country markets for fruit and veges , but i have to drive around 25 min to get there . I have a big backyard and grow some vegetables and have a few fruit trees , plenty of herbs .Still thinking of having a few chooks in the backyard , but it is so wet , worry about the chooks may drown. Also worry about rats and mice and to keep the snakes out . A hare is visiting as well frequently and also a bandicoot digging his snout into the soil. It is not just straight forward .
Also buy from the local farmers like strawberries , pineapples , macadamia nuts and whatever looks good .
Our nearest supermarket which is an IGA, is a 20 minute drive one way. The big supermarkets are a 2 hour return drive. To save fuel costs, I get all my "ducks" lined up and usually combine a shopping day with medical or other appointments or a day when going to a social function. I grew up in rural Sth Australia, and even then my Mum 60 or more years ago would do the same..she bought in bulk too, can remember the big bins of flour and sugar. Often made her own bread etc..society today has become over regulated, over priced and on the whole many people have become very lazy because of all the convenience supermarkets and takeaway food outlets..😁

Reactions: Reaper123
Articles like this tend to shame you into a lifestyle not available to the majority of people. My neighbours would hate my chooks, hate my shade producing trees, and hate me making gardening noises. And I’m not moving for anybody.

Reactions: Mark1