Learn about this incredible value buy you've been overlooking—your wallet will thank you!

With the current cost of living crisis, people are looking for ways to get the most out of every dollar.

In the bustling aisles of your local supermarket, there's a hidden gem that you've probably been bypassing.

Amidst the neatly stacked rows of shiny, perfect-looking fruits and vegetables, there's a range of produce that's just as nutritious, delicious, and significantly cheaper, and it's a treasure trove of value you need to know about.

The Odd Bunch is an initiative by Woolworths that aims to reduce food waste and offer customers a more affordable option for fresh produce.

According to Paul Turner, the General Manager of Fruit & Vegetables at Woolworths, the range includes around 20 different products at any given time, which changes regularly based on availability and seasonality to ensure that as little food as possible goes to waste, and customers always have a variety of options to choose from.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 123944.jpg
The Odd Bunch offers more affordable fresh produce to customers while reducing food waste. Credits: Reddit

The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF) said that about 25 per cent of edible fresh produce is thrown away due to visual imperfection or cosmetic damage every year in Australia.

The Odd Bunch aims to change this and ‘bring great value fruit and veg to our customers across the country,’ he said.

‘While the fruit and vegetables in The Odd Bunch may look slightly odd, they’re still great quality and delicious,’ he added.

'Some of the most popular products that are included in The Odd Bunch include carrots, lemons, limes, capsicums and avocados.'

However, don't be surprised to find other fruits and vegetables in the mix, like ‘Peculiar Parsnips’ or ‘Blemished Beetroots’.

These quirky names are part of the charm of The Odd Bunch, and they're a testament to the fact that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes—even when it comes to produce.

The Odd Bunch produce is sold in pre-packed punnets or bags, making it an easy swap to make while doing your groceries.

You could find them nestled alongside their more 'perfect-looking' counterparts. However, don't be fooled by appearances, because while The Odd Bunch may not win any beauty contests, they're just as fresh, tasty, and nutritious as the rest.

The benefits of The Odd Bunch extend beyond your wallet, too.

This initiative also serves the producers supplying fruit and veg to Woolworths. '[It] supports growers and allows them to get more product into the market and helps to reduce food waste,' Turner said.

'It’s a win for customers and Australian farmers.'

While dining often revolves around visual appeal, the true essence of our food lies in its flavour. With The Odd Bunch, the taste is just the same as that of conventionally shaped fruits and vegetables.

This initiative, however, is not exclusive to Woolworths alone.

In a related article, we share with you the ‘secret section’ in your local supermarkets that could help you save some money while helping to reduce food waste.

Key Takeaways
  • The Odd Bunch range at supermarkets offers less-than-perfect produce at a value price, reducing food waste.
  • Around 20 different products, like carrots, lemons, limes, capsicums, and avocados, are usually available based on seasonality and availability.
  • This range could provide a practical and simple alternative for customers while grocery shopping, with items sold in pre-packed punnets or bags with names such as Peculiar Parsnips or Blemished Beetroots.
  • The Odd Bunch could not only benefit consumers with cheaper prices but also support growers, helping them to put more produce into the market and reduce food waste, benefiting both customers and Australian farmers.

Have you tried The Odd Bunch range? Share your experiences with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Been around for a long time. Sometimes, good value, sometimes not. And you can guarantee Woolies is overcharging on these too.

Reactions: Marilynne
I have also been buying the "odd bunch" for many years although I did stop for a while because my local Woolworths staff didn't bother to check the condition of the produce and it was all rotting - ugh. I did hear a woman say, "who would buy that stuff?" I looked at her and said "not everything in nature is perfect if it was, I would be at least 5ft and wearing size 8 clothing.

I do not shop at any of the major supermarkets for fruit, vegetables, meat or bread/bakery items. I go to a fruit shop, a butchers and a bakery. I prefer to give my money to the smaller shops so they wont disappear and all we will have is the big supermarkets ripping us off ore than they are now.

I prefer to choose my fruit and veg and the odd bunch is usually too many for my husband and I and not what we usually buy. Very limited range