Supermarket secrets: Uncover savings you've been missing out on!

Navigating the supermarket aisles can be a daunting task, especially when you're on a budget. We've all heard the usual tips: buy in season, plan your meals, prep your produce.

But what if we told you there's a secret section in your local supermarket that could save you even more money?

According to 9Honey writer Jo Abi, this hidden gem is the discounted produce section, a treasure trove of fruit and vegetables that are just as nutritious but significantly cheaper than their counterparts in the regular aisles.

Coles has aptly named this section 'I'm Perfect', a testament that while these fruit and vegetables may not look picture-perfect, they're still perfectly good to eat.

Woolworths has a similar section called the 'Odd Bunch'.

ALDI, on the other hand, has a slightly different approach. Most of their produce falls into this category, so their prices are generally lower.

They also focus on stocking what's in season, ensuring you get the freshest produce at the best prices.

Untitled design.jpg
Did you know that supermarket giants Coles, Woolies and ALDI have a secret aisle for their fruit and veg? Image: Coles, Woolworths, ALDI

‘Although yesterday I dropped into my local ALDI and saw they had blackberries, which I used to eat straight from the garden as a child. I have never had any that taste anywhere near as good as those,’ Abi said.

Your neighbourhood fruit shop is another excellent place to hunt for bargains. The best produce is typically displayed front and centre, making it easy to spot what's in season.

But keep an eye out for those little trolleys near the register; they're often filled with items that need to be sold quickly, offering you the chance to snag an even better deal.

You can also try salvaged food apps connecting shoppers to unsold items from cafes and shops.

Some services cater specifically to selling visually unappealing produce that would otherwise be discarded.

Services like Good & Fugly, OzHarvest, and Farmer's Pick deliver seasonal fruit and veggies straight to your door.

And if you’re feeling extra hands-on, have a go at planting some herbs or tomatoes yourself!

‘You can always try growing some,’ Abi suggested.

‘I have basil, spring onions and tomatoes on my balcony at the moment. The basil is thriving, the spring onions need some work, and so far we've had one tomato, but that was exciting nonetheless…I am saving so much money on basil.’

Growing your own herbs might require more elbow grease than just simply buying, but it’s relatively inexpensive.

At the end of the day, by keeping these budget shortcuts in mind, you'll eat well and save money in the long run.

Key Takeaways

• There is a 'secret section' in supermarkets where you can purchase fruit and vegetables at a lower price due to their imperfect appearance.
  • Supermarkets such as Coles and Woolies have specific ranges, labelled 'I'm Perfect' and 'Odd Bunch' respectively, while ALDI's low prices are largely due to this approach.
  • Additional savings can be found at local fruit shops, which may have discounted produce that needs to be sold quickly.
  • Alternatives for saving on produce include subscribing to services like Good & Fugly or OzHarvest, purchasing directly from farmers through services such as Farmer's Pick, or growing your own produce at home.

What do you think of this story? Have you tried buying from the supermarket ‘secret aisles’? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Coles and WW closed down samll produce by lowering prices that the small stores could not compete with. After they shut down these small stores they started price gouging because they got rid of the competetion. Now there is an enquiry into their dishonesty, all of a sudden prices start to drop. Now they are crawling up our arse and expect everyone to forgive them for their price gouging ripoff prices and dishonesty. It's a bit late for that Coles and WW, you made your bed now sleep in it. I'm an Aldi customer now.

Navigating the supermarket aisles can be a daunting task, especially when you're on a budget. We've all heard the usual tips: buy in season, plan your meals, prep your produce.

But what if we told you there's a secret section in your local supermarket that could save you even more money?

According to 9Honey writer Jo Abi, this hidden gem is the discounted produce section, a treasure trove of fruit and vegetables that are just as nutritious but significantly cheaper than their counterparts in the regular aisles.

Coles has aptly named this section 'I'm Perfect', a testament that while these fruit and vegetables may not look picture-perfect, they're still perfectly good to eat.

Woolworths has a similar section called the 'Odd Bunch'.

ALDI, on the other hand, has a slightly different approach. Most of their produce falls into this category, so their prices are generally lower.

They also focus on stocking what's in season, ensuring you get the freshest produce at the best prices.

View attachment 39122
Did you know that supermarket giants Coles, Woolies and ALDI have a secret aisle for their fruit and veg? Image: Coles, Woolworths, ALDI

‘Although yesterday I dropped into my local ALDI and saw they had blackberries, which I used to eat straight from the garden as a child. I have never had any that taste anywhere near as good as those,’ Abi said.

Your neighbourhood fruit shop is another excellent place to hunt for bargains. The best produce is typically displayed front and centre, making it easy to spot what's in season.

But keep an eye out for those little trolleys near the register; they're often filled with items that need to be sold quickly, offering you the chance to snag an even better deal.

You can also try salvaged food apps connecting shoppers to unsold items from cafes and shops.

Some services cater specifically to selling visually unappealing produce that would otherwise be discarded.

Services like Good & Fugly, OzHarvest, and Farmer's Pick deliver seasonal fruit and veggies straight to your door.

And if you’re feeling extra hands-on, have a go at planting some herbs or tomatoes yourself!

‘You can always try growing some,’ Abi suggested.

‘I have basil, spring onions and tomatoes on my balcony at the moment. The basil is thriving, the spring onions need some work, and so far we've had one tomato, but that was exciting nonetheless…I am saving so much money on basil.’

Growing your own herbs might require more elbow grease than just simply buying, but it’s relatively inexpensive.

At the end of the day, by keeping these budget shortcuts in mind, you'll eat well and save money in the long run.

Key Takeaways

• There is a 'secret section' in supermarkets where you can purchase fruit and vegetables at a lower price due to their imperfect appearance.
  • Supermarkets such as Coles and Woolies have specific ranges, labelled 'I'm Perfect' and 'Odd Bunch' respectively, while ALDI's low prices are largely due to this approach.
  • Additional savings can be found at local fruit shops, which may have discounted produce that needs to be sold quickly.
  • Alternatives for saving on produce include subscribing to services like Good & Fugly or OzHarvest, purchasing directly from farmers through services such as Farmer's Pick, or growing your own produce at home.

What do you think of this story? Have you tried buying from the supermarket ‘secret aisles’? Let us know in the comments below!
It is all very well if you are a family but when only two of you a large bag of carrots/potatoes/sweet potatoes/apples will not get eaten quickly enough. May be false economy for some