Moroccan Lamb Shanks

shanks-blog-hero-2.jpgThese LAMB Shanks are my sons favourite

TOP TIPS FOR MAKING THIS LAMB RECIPE

• The more colour you get on your shanks when you brown them off, the better the flavour will be at the end.
  • Your oven cook time may vary depending on the size of the shanks.
  • You could serve these shanks whole, or pull the lamb from the bones

Total Time: 3hours hours 45minutes minutes

Ingredients​

• 4 lamb shanks trimmed
  • 2 teaspoon olive oil
  • 2 medium brown onions sliced
  • 1½ tablespoon plain flour
  • 3 fresh garlic cloves crushed
  • 1½ teaspoon sweet paprika
  • 1½ teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1½ teaspoon ground coriander
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
  • ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 3 cups beef stock
  • 1 orange, juice & zest approx ⅓ cup juice
  • ½ teaspoon fine salt

Instructions​

• Pre heat oven to 150c/300f.
  • Heat olive oil in a heavy based pot/dutch oven (with lid) over medium high heat, brown the shanks (4) well all over and then remove to a plate.
  • Carefully drain excess oil from the pot leaving about 1 tbsp, then add sliced onions (2 medium) to the same pot and fry onions over medium low heat until they start to soften. Sprinkle plain flour (1½ tbsp) over softened onions, and stir over medium low heat for a minute.
  • Add crushed garlic (3 cloves), sweet paprika (1½ tsp), ground cumin (1½ tsp), ground coriander (1½ tsp), ground cloves (¼ tsp) and cinnamon (⅛ tsp) to onions, and continue to fry for another minute.
  • Then add tomato paste to onions, and fry for another minute. Add beef stock (3 cups) and orange juice (from 1 orange - approx ⅓ cup) and salt (½ tsp) to onion mixture and mix well, scraping up any flavour spots from the bottom of the pot.
  • Return shanks to pot and bring to a simmer, place the lid on and transfer to the oven to bake for 3 hours or until cooked through and falling away from the bone. Stir orange zest (from 1 orange) through sauce and serve.
Goes well with mashed Potato and beans

PLEASE NOTE I NEVER SAY I INVENTED THESE RECIPES . IM SHARING RECIPES THAT HAVE BEEN TRIED AND TESTED IN MY HOUSE BY MY FAMILY.

I LOVE CERTAIN CHEFS INCLUDING RECIPE TINEATS AKA NAGI , CHEFNOTREQUIRED ,
This recipe is from chefnotrequired .
Note these recipes may vary to theirs as I do make changes eg substituting wine for stock and also herbs

Last edited:
Sponsored
View attachment 24312These LAMB Shanks are my sons favourite

TOP TIPS FOR MAKING THIS LAMB RECIPE

• The more colour you get on your shanks when you brown them off, the better the flavour will be at the end.
  • Your oven cook time may vary depending on the size of the shanks.
  • You could serve these shanks whole, or pull the lamb from the bones

Total Time: 3hours hours 45minutes minutes

Ingredients​

• 4 lamb shanks trimmed
  • 2 teaspoon olive oil
  • 2 medium brown onions sliced
  • 1½ tablespoon plain flour
  • 3 fresh garlic cloves crushed
  • 1½ teaspoon sweet paprika
  • 1½ teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1½ teaspoon ground coriander
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
  • ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 3 cups beef stock
  • 1 orange, juice & zest approx ⅓ cup juice
  • ½ teaspoon fine salt

Instructions​

• Pre heat oven to 150c/300f.
  • Heat olive oil in a heavy based pot/dutch oven (with lid) over medium high heat, brown the shanks (4) well all over and then remove to a plate.
  • Carefully drain excess oil from the pot leaving about 1 tbsp, then add sliced onions (2 medium) to the same pot and fry onions over medium low heat until they start to soften. Sprinkle plain flour (1½ tbsp) over softened onions, and stir over medium low heat for a minute.
  • Add crushed garlic (3 cloves), sweet paprika (1½ tsp), ground cumin (1½ tsp), ground coriander (1½ tsp), ground cloves (¼ tsp) and cinnamon (⅛ tsp) to onions, and continue to fry for another minute.
  • Then add tomato paste to onions, and fry for another minute. Add beef stock (3 cups) and orange juice (from 1 orange - approx ⅓ cup) and salt (½ tsp) to onion mixture and mix well, scraping up any flavour spots from the bottom of the pot.
  • Return shanks to pot and bring to a simmer, place the lid on and transfer to the oven to bake for 3 hours or until cooked through and falling away from the bone. Stir orange zest (from 1 orange) through sauce and serve.
Goes well with mashed Potato and beans
Recipe by : https://www.chefnotrequired.com/moroccan-lamb-shanks/#recipe

Author:
Lee-Ann Grace

Would you like me to state on every recipe I add where it's from ? You do know that Lee- Ann Grace didn't invent these recipes as do Recipe tineats .

Nigella Lawson also has this exact recipe but she adds a little red wine. Her recipe was around alot longer than chefnotrequired

You don't need to read my post.

I never ever say I invented these recipes, I state that these are my favourite recipes or my family's.
I share recipes that I think others will like.
EVERY RECIPE I HAVE MADE MYSELF.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Milica
Would you like me to state on every recipe I add where it's from ? You do know that Lee- Ann Grace didn't invent these recipes as do Recipe tineats .

Nigella Lawson also has this exact recipe but she adds a little red wine. Her recipe was around alot longer than chefnotrequired

You don't need to read my post.

I never ever say I invented these recipes, I state that these are my favourite recipes or my family's.
I share recipes that I think others will like.
EVERY RECIPE I HAVE MADE MYSELF.
And We Thankyou Suzanne!_!