Meghan Markle mocks her royal protocol attempt with an exaggerated curtsey and describes ‘surreal’ meeting with the Queen

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's documentary has finally made its way to the screens courtesy of Netflix, amid the backlash it has received from the public.

In one scene, Meghan lifted the lid on what it was like to meet the Royal Family for the first time and spoke candidly about the 'intense' moment she met Queen Elizabeth II.

As we all know, royal protocol is a very important aspect of life for members of the monarchy. So, when American actress Meghan Markle married Prince Harry in 2018, she knew that she would have to make some adjustments to her lifestyle to conform to these long-standing rules and traditions.

In a new interview from the couple’s documentary series, Meghan mocked her attempts at following royal protocol when she first met the Queen – and described how ‘surreal’ the whole experience was.

h&m2 (1).jpg
Harry and Meghan got married in 2018. Credit: Shutterstock

Harry agreed and shared that when he took Meghan to meet the Queen, it was a bit of a ‘shock to the system’ for her.

‘I remember being in the car, and he was like “You know how to curtsey right?” and I just thought it was a joke,’ Meghan explained. The Duchess of Sussex jokingly compared the encounter to going to a ‘Medieval Times Dinner’, which is a themed restaurant in the US.

‘I curtsied as if I was [bowing down to the floor],’ Meghan said as she demonstrated an exaggerated curtsey in front of her amused husband.

Meghan met the Queen for the first time during a lunch at the Royal Lodge in Windsor shortly after it was revealed that she was dating Harry.

‘It was so intense, I didn’t know what I was doing,’ the Duchess admitted.

She added that she did not receive training on royal protocol and that joining the Royal Family was nothing like The Princess Diaries – an American coming-of-age movie about a student who discovers she is the heir to the throne of a fictional kingdom.

Harry also shared the difficulty in explaining their protocols to civilians: ‘How do you explain that you bow to your grandmother? And that you would need to curtsey, especially to an American. That’s weird.’

h&m.jpg
The couple’s documentary was met with backlash from the public the first time it was announced. Credit: Shutterstock

The new documentary is split into two parts, with the first three episodes out now and available to watch on Netflix.

Harry compared Meghan to his mum, the late Princess Diana, and described how both his mother and his wife were hunted by the press. The Duke also spoke about alleged racism and ‘unconscious bias’ in the Royal Family.

Meghan spoke about the ‘formality’ of the royals behind closed doors.

‘I guess I started to understand very quickly that the formality on the outside carried through on the inside,’ she said.

Key Takeaways

• Meghan Markle joked about her attempts at following royal protocol, compared meeting the Queen as akin to stepping into a medieval-themed restaurant, and performed a deep curtsey during one interview of her and Prince Harry's Netflix documentary.
  • The Duchess of Sussex spoke about the 'formality' of the royals behind closed doors, saying she was 'surprised' by this, and spoke about struggling to adapt to life as a working royal.
  • Harry shared how he struggled in explaining royal protocols to others.
  • The Duke also compared Meghan to his mum and described how both his mother and his wife were hunted by the press.
What do you think about Harry and Meghan’s ‘revelations’, members? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
Meg has as much knowledge of protocol as a 'C' Grade - Netflix actress. But, she isn't. She is a FAILED 'C' Grade Netflix actress.

Reactions: Luckyus and Ricci
I wasn't going to watch it, however in the end I did.
I watched all of the 3 episodes. All I can say is Meghan ran the whole show!
I do feel kind of sorry for Harry but it's his choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci and Anoush
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's documentary has finally made its way to the screens courtesy of Netflix, amid the backlash it has received from the public.

In one scene, Meghan lifted the lid on what it was like to meet the Royal Family for the first time and spoke candidly about the 'intense' moment she met Queen Elizabeth II.

As we all know, royal protocol is a very important aspect of life for members of the monarchy. So, when American actress Meghan Markle married Prince Harry in 2018, she knew that she would have to make some adjustments to her lifestyle to conform to these long-standing rules and traditions.

In a new interview from the couple’s documentary series, Meghan mocked her attempts at following royal protocol when she first met the Queen – and described how ‘surreal’ the whole experience was.

View attachment 10237

Harry agreed and shared that when he took Meghan to meet the Queen, it was a bit of a ‘shock to the system’ for her.

‘I remember being in the car, and he was like “You know how to curtsey right?” and I just thought it was a joke,’ Meghan explained. The Duchess of Sussex jokingly compared the encounter to going to a ‘Medieval Times Dinner’, which is a themed restaurant in the US.

‘I curtsied as if I was [bowing down to the floor],’ Meghan said as she demonstrated an exaggerated curtsey in front of her amused husband.

Meghan met the Queen for the first time during a lunch at the Royal Lodge in Windsor shortly after it was revealed that she was dating Harry.

She added that she did not receive training on royal protocol and that joining the Royal Family was nothing like The Princess Diaries – an American coming-of-age movie about a student who discovers she is the heir to the throne of a fictional kingdom.

Harry also shared the difficulty in explaining their protocols to civilians: ‘How do you explain that you bow to your grandmother? And that you would need to curtsey, especially to an American. That’s weird.’

View attachment 10236
The couple’s documentary was met with backlash from the public the first time it was announced. Credit: Shutterstock

The new documentary is split into two parts, with the first three episodes out now and available to watch on Netflix.

Harry compared Meghan to his mum, the late Princess Diana, and described how both his mother and his wife were hunted by the press. The Duke also spoke about alleged racism and ‘unconscious bias’ in the Royal Family.

‘I guess I started to understand very quickly that the formality on the outside carried through on the inside,’ she said.

Key Takeaways

• Meghan Markle joked about her attempts at following royal protocol, compared meeting the Queen as akin to stepping into a medieval-themed restaurant, and performed a deep curtsey during one interview of her and Prince Harry's Netflix documentary.
  • The Duchess of Sussex spoke about the 'formality' of the royals behind closed doors, saying she was 'surprised' by this, and spoke about struggling to adapt to life as a working royal.
  • The Duke also compared Meghan to his mum and described how both his mother and his wife were hunted by the press.
What do you think about Harry and Meghan’s ‘revelations’, members? Let us know in the comments!
It's a shame Megan wasn't prepared more for her first meeting without the Queen and the royal family but she is mocking herself, no one else, as any ordinary person would in such a situation.
Leave this lovely young couple alone!
They are trying to find their way in a hard, judgemental, uncompromising world. We should be helping them, not criticising and continually finding fault with them.
There are so many people out there who have hard, nasty minds and that's not just a particular part of the media!

Reactions: Ricci
Meghan is a no body ,,she latched on to Harry hoping for everything his title allowed him,,she is a piranha eating those who dare to get on her goat,,,not a nice person at all,,,on the other hand neither is Harry,he's runs his whole family into the ground,,,I didn't see anything when he was growing up that said he didn't want his privileged life,,this is all her doing because she can't get and do what she wants,,he needs to get a pair and stand up to her,,,as for his father having an affair with his now wife,she was the only affair he had ,,it came from H's mothers mouth that she to had several affairs and being the first of the doomed marriage to do so,,she spoke those words on tv...it's time H relinquished his title considering he wanted a private life ,so over hearing their rubbish

Last edited:
It's a shame Megan wasn't prepared more for her first meeting without the Queen and the royal family but she is mocking herself, no one else, as any ordinary person would in such a situation.
Leave this lovely young couple alone!
They are trying to find their way in a hard, judgemental, uncompromising world. We should be helping them, not criticising and continually finding fault with them.
There are so many people out there who have hard, nasty minds and that's not just a particular part of the media!
Here's their deal. They don't want to be left alone. They basically said they are right & everybody else is wrong. They have publicly said it's not about privacy. By the way, they met on Instagram.

I totally agree! How can one have any respect for the Adulterers. Then he becomes the King of the Church of England! Making a mockery of both Church and the Monarchy. I have never wanted to be a Republic Australia, I never expected “ the Consort” to be Queen. Disgraceful.
you do realise Dianna had several affairs and being the first to do so as well,,she admitted it on a tv show obviously many years ago,,,you don't have to like the Concort being Queen but it's the Late Queens wish so live with it

I'm really not interested in who said or did what and to whom. I am definitely not in favour of anybody airing their dirty linen in public. I might fall out with my family but I would defend them to the death in front of others. When all is said and done your family is your backstop, they understand you better than anyone. Harry would do well to remember this when his current lifestyle goes belly up. :(

I'm really not interested in who said or did what and to whom. I am definitely not in favour of anybody airing their dirty linen in public. I might fall out with my family but I would defend them to the death in front of others. When all is said and done your family is your backstop, they understand you better than anyone. Harry would do well to remember this when his current lifestyle goes belly up. :(
Exactly. I'm sure one day in the future it will go belly up & I feel his family would welcome him back.

Personally I am glad that he broke away from the royal family. I think he has had it tough since he was born. The ridicule of who his father is, being referred to by William as "the spare", his every waking moment watched when all he wanted to do was to be himself. He saw what happened to his mother with the press and then his wife and the cheating of his "father" who is now God forbid the King! To me, Charles is the biggest hypocrite who has walked this earth. Good on Harry and Meaghan for getting out of the royal show. I personally am not a royalist but I loved the Queen as she epitomised grace, dignity and common sense. She too had to put up with Phillips infidelities and rudeness so I think that Harry made the right choice whether he was married or not.....go and live his life with his own family, away from the maddening false crowd of the royal family.
I agree with you 100%.

I tried to watch this scripted/purposely planned documentary about what we have heard about before. A love story OK, yes leave it at that. I think Harry is awe-inspiringly in love with his wife, I just hope Megan stays in love with him should he lose his royalties! He has found some peace in being a real father to his children.

Whinge and ginge. Two vacuous and hypocritical people trying to cause maximum damage for money. How sad is it when you sell yourself for money? They have no shame they just want money. Are well, they will reap what they sow.

Why are we listening to this rubbish coming from the two of them. Harry was born in the establishment, he would have known marrying Meghan would cause trouble. Let them go their own way without all the titles and I won't be watching any of their Netflix shows. I feel for the Royal Family with these two and that Harry is so under the thumb of his wife. God Rest Queen Elizabeth's soul that she doesn't have to be here to have to watch or listen to this dribble.:(

Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci
Personally I am glad that he broke away from the royal family. I think he has had it tough since he was born. The ridicule of who his father is, being referred to by William as "the spare", his every waking moment watched when all he wanted to do was to be himself. He saw what happened to his mother with the press and then his wife and the cheating of his "father" who is now God forbid the King! To me, Charles is the biggest hypocrite who has walked this earth. Good on Harry and Meaghan for getting out of the royal show. I personally am not a royalist but I loved the Queen as she epitomised grace, dignity and common sense. She too had to put up with Phillips infidelities and rudeness so I think that Harry made the right choice whether he was married or not.....go and live his life with his own family, away from the maddening false crowd of the royal family.
Omg so very well said 👏

you do realise Dianna had several affairs and being the first to do so as well,,she admitted it on a tv show obviously many years ago,,,you don't have to like the Concort being Queen but it's the Late Queens wish so live with it
Charles was the first to have an affair or should I say the continued affair.
Diana had an affair years into their marriage when she saw Charles was still with Camilla.
Her first affair was in 1985
Barry Albert Mannakee – 1985
Mannakee worked as a police officer with the Royal Protection Squad before being assigned to Princess Diana as a bodyguard in 1985. Palace rumours circulated of an affair between the two of them that ultimately led to his dismissal from the role a year later. In 1987 he was killed in a motorcycle accident that led to conspiracy theories that his death had been planned. These were fuelled by Diana in a video later obtained by NBC, where she confessed, ‘I was only happy when he was around,’ and she described his death as, ‘the biggest blow of my life’. She also said: ‘I think he was bumped off, and there we are.’

She knew her marriage was over , her famous words " There were three in this marriage "

How devastating for her when the night before their wedding she found a bracelet sadly it was for Camilla.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci
Why oh why are you showing respect for Charles and Camilla? They are nothing but hypocrites.

Harry did the right thing in leaving , he knew what his family were all about.

How do you think he felt seeing his father being with the woman who he cheated on his mother with their whole marriage.

Diana was basically tortured throughout her marriage to Charles and I'm guessing Harry saw they also tried to control his wife.

What the firm came up against was two very strong characters in Harry and Megan.

You are all running Megan down but what did she actually do ??
I don't think she has Harry by the balls, they are a team .

She has also helped him alot with his mental issues.

The wrong people here are not Megan and Harry , it is Charles and Camilla.

Why oh why are you showing respect for Charles and Camilla? They are nothing but hypocrites.

Harry did the right thing in leaving , he knew what his family were all about.

How do you think he felt seeing his father being with the woman who he cheated on his mother with their whole marriage.

Diana was basically tortured throughout her marriage to Charles and I'm guessing Harry saw they also tried to control his wife.

What the firm came up against was two very strong characters in Harry and Megan.

You are all running Megan down but what did she actually do ??
I don't think she has Harry by the balls, they are a team .

She has also helped him alot with his mental issues.

The wrong people here are not Megan and Harry , it is Charles and Camilla.

Yes, parents are often to blame in life with people's personal feelings.
I do reckon they are ruthless revealing to the world their 'dirty linen' with the royals.
They are grown adults, so permissible to do so with lack of censorship.

Last edited:

View attachment 10237

View attachment 10236

Key Takeaways

• The Duchess of Sussex spoke about the 'formality' of the royals behind closed doors, saying sheb was 'surprised' by this, and spoke about struggling to adapt to life as a working royal.
Very sad that they would stoop so low.Its all about Meghan, what Meghan wants Harry just does as he's told.Why doesn't man up.j