Medicare unveils a surprising update to its cards in 2024

This year, Medicare will celebrate its 40th anniversary—and a small but significant design change will be introduced to the Medicare cards to commemorate this milestone.

This change is a testament to the enduring success of a system providing essential healthcare services to Australians for four decades.

Services Australia announced last Monday, January 15, that the Medicare card will feature a new design.

'Medicare is turning 40. To celebrate, the Medicare card will have a 2024 commemorative design,' the announcement read.

'If you get a new or replacement card from 1 February 2024, it’ll be a 40-year anniversary card. This card design will be issued until 31 December 2024.'

ms007-2402-sample.png
Services Australia announced a new look on the Medicare card. Source: Services Australia

The new design will be featured on the physical cards and updated in Medicare online accounts, the Express Plus Medicare mobile app, and the myGov app.

This ensures that celebrating this milestone is integrated across all platforms where Medicare services are accessed.

For those whose cards have expired, Medicare will automatically send out a new card with the commemorative design.

However, Australians who need to replace a lost, stolen or damaged card can request one on the mobile app or by calling Medicare.

The introduction of the Medicare system in 1984 by the Hawke Labor government marked a significant shift in Australia's healthcare landscape.

The system, originally called Medibank when it was introduced in 1975 by the Whitlam Labor government, was renamed Medicare and underwent significant changes, including the reversal of limitations on bulk billing and benefits implemented during a period of the Liberal government.

Over the years, Medicare has evolved to meet the changing healthcare needs of Australians. It has expanded to cover a wide range of services, including doctor's visits, tests and examinations, eye tests performed by optometrists, and most surgical and therapeutic procedures performed by doctors.

As we look forward to the future, it's clear that Medicare will continue to play a crucial role in Australia's healthcare system.

Key Takeaways
  • Medicare cards will feature a commemorative design in 2024 to mark Medicare's 40th anniversary.
  • The special design will be featured on all cards printed until the end of the year.
  • New and replacement cards from 1 February 2024 will be anniversary cards, and the design will also be updated in various Medicare digital platforms.
  • Australians can request a new card through the mobile app or by contacting Medicare if their card is lost, stolen or damaged.

What are your thoughts on the new design, members? We'd love to hear from you in the comments below.

Sponsored
Do you seriously think people will damage their cards to get one with 50th anniversary on it???
Seeing it's such a simple thing to contact,connect with,or have anything of any kind sorted out for you with anything"government" you'd have to be crazy to want to start a tsunami of problems asking for a new Medicare card.If you are dumb enough for the sake of it,good luck to you.Just make sure you have a valium script written out by your doctor first.
Oh PS Be prepared to pay 3 times as much for Valium..... luxury brand.....
Only the genetic will be covered at $6.70 if you are lucky enough to own a concession card I am told🤣🤣🤣
Yes there are people who will do this, on another note I notice that this government has upped the rate of prescription medication, which actually helps me as I'll pass my PBS rate before the end of the fiscal year

Yes there are people who will do this, on another note I notice that this government has upped the rate of prescription medication, which actually helps me as I'll pass my PBS rate before the end of the fiscal year
I noticed mine had increased this year . So I will hit the target early ,some of mine have doubled on the PBS?

Here we go!!!

Here we go.Why do all the tax payers of Australia,have to be responsible for footing the bill for an already mooching pensioners'rotten teeth??
Why can't people plan ahead for their retirement,pay their super contributions,don't smoke drink and gamble live within their means so that you don't still have rent at 67 years old(most in our generation started working at 16),and can afford to get a filling if they need one a d stop bitching about what they can't get for free and what they are entitled to get for free!!!!We all complain about today's young ones being entitled but gee,this SDC seems to have its fair share of whinging,entitled.....fought in ten world wars or was the wife of one, so I should be entitled to free everything for the rest of my living days.!!!Good grief
Hey Doggyday,
It's no use complaining as above, they are dyed in the wool whingers&moaners.
The more you show the worse they become.
We have done the right thing throughout our working life.

Reactions: havingadoggyday
Couldnt care less about designs , the Card is meant to offer Australians reasonable Healthcare Costs, which have continued to dwindle with less Drs able to offer discounts due to rising Costs to run their Services

The fancy shmansy designs, will not help with the continued decline in Rebates for struggling Australians ,Wonder how much Taxpayer Money was wasted
Don't worry about doctors they are doing quite well out of Medicare.If you stop and think and add up all the patients they get every day and by the end of the week they earn a income much more than you or I.

Well they have to be reprinted for a lost or expired card anyway. The slight addition to the template will probably make no difference to the replacement card cost anyway. But hey, happy whinging!
You would be surprised how much this cosmetic addition would cost!

You would be surprised how much this cosmetic addition would cost!
Correct, I might be surprised. However, I just say straight up I don’t care either way, but I gather you wish to enlighten me personally, so feel free to state your facts.

Correct, I might be surprised. However, I just say straight up I don’t care either way, but I gather you wish to enlighten me personally, so feel free to state your facts.
You should - it is taxpayers money that would be spend for such gimmick and government should be transparent about total cost of this “mission critical” feature!

This year, Medicare will celebrate its 40th anniversary—and a small but significant design change will be introduced to the Medicare cards to commemorate this milestone.

This change is a testament to the enduring success of a system providing essential healthcare services to Australians for four decades.

Services Australia announced last Monday, January 15, that the Medicare card will feature a new design.

'Medicare is turning 40. To celebrate, the Medicare card will have a 2024 commemorative design,' the announcement read.

'If you get a new or replacement card from 1 February 2024, it’ll be a 40-year anniversary card. This card design will be issued until 31 December 2024.'

View attachment 39449
Services Australia announced a new look on the Medicare card. Source: Services Australia

The new design will be featured on the physical cards and updated in Medicare online accounts, the Express Plus Medicare mobile app, and the myGov app.

This ensures that celebrating this milestone is integrated across all platforms where Medicare services are accessed.

For those whose cards have expired, Medicare will automatically send out a new card with the commemorative design.

However, Australians who need to replace a lost, stolen or damaged card can request one on the mobile app or by calling Medicare.

The introduction of the Medicare system in 1984 by the Hawke Labor government marked a significant shift in Australia's healthcare landscape.

The system, originally called Medibank when it was introduced in 1975 by the Whitlam Labor government, was renamed Medicare and underwent significant changes, including the reversal of limitations on bulk billing and benefits implemented during a period of the Liberal government.

Over the years, Medicare has evolved to meet the changing healthcare needs of Australians. It has expanded to cover a wide range of services, including doctor's visits, tests and examinations, eye tests performed by optometrists, and most surgical and therapeutic procedures performed by doctors.

As we look forward to the future, it's clear that Medicare will continue to play a crucial role in Australia's healthcare system.

Key Takeaways

• Medicare cards will feature a commemorative design in 2024 to mark Medicare's 40th anniversary.
  • The special design will be featured on all cards printed until the end of the year.
  • New and replacement cards from 1 February 2024 will be anniversary cards, and the design will also be updated in various Medicare digital platforms.
  • Australians can request a new card through the mobile app or by contacting Medicare if their card is lost, stolen or damaged.

What are your thoughts on the new design, members? We'd love to hear from you in the comments below.
What a government item with NO indigenous Art design work... I dont believe my one working eye.

What a government item with NO indigenous Art design work... I dont believe my one working eye.
Probably because it would be a waste of good artwork considering the main beneficiaries are white and over 65 y/o - something like 80% of the costs to taxpayers.

Reactions: havingadoggyday
As the plate would need to be changed for new expiry date etc, It would make absolutely no sense at all to deduce that adding another piece of text would make any difference to the cost of what has to occur when a new card is issued at expiry or loss of card. Somebody make some sense please!