Massive Medicare overhaul proposal could drain taxpayers $12 billion—is it worth it?

Access to dental care has long been a sore subject for many Australians.

Under the current system, visiting the dentist and paying for treatments can put a big dent in many household budgets.

Now, a massive Medicare shake-up is being proposed that could change all that.

Medicare's potential expansion to include free dental care for all Australians is a monumental proposal that could redefine healthcare in the country.

However, this ambitious plan comes with a hefty price tag—an additional $12 billion per year from taxpayers' pockets.

SDC 3 .png
A proposal to include dental healthcare under Medicare’s coverage has been presented to Health Minister Mark Butler. Image source: prostooleh on Freepik.

The proposal, which has been presented to Health Minister Mark Butler, is the result of a senate inquiry into the current state of dental care in Australia.

The inquiry's findings have highlighted a significant gap in the healthcare system, with many Australians forgoing necessary dental treatments due to the prohibitive costs.

As it stands, except for children under 17 who meet certain criteria and some concession cardholders, dental services are not covered by Medicare, leaving the majority of patients to pay out of pocket.

Grattan Institute's 2023 report painted a concerning picture: 32 per cent of Australians who needed dental care chose to skip it, with cost being the primary deterrent for half of them.

This equates to millions of Australians neglecting their dental health, which can have far-reaching consequences for their overall well-being.

The report suggested that the upcoming revision of the National Health Reform Agreement could serve as a platform to negotiate a new dental scheme between federal and state governments.

The Parliamentary Budget Office has explored various models to integrate dental care into Medicare as part of a Greens-led inquiry, which also involved representatives from both Labor and the Coalition.

Four different systems were costed, with both capped and uncapped benefit options.

The most comprehensive approach, which offers coverage for all Medicare cardholders, would require an investment of $8.3 billion over five years for the capped version and $11.6 billion for the uncapped.

Another approach is the means-tested model which will target those on income support and pensioners would cost between $3 billion for the capped version and $4 billion for the uncapped version.

The third approach will provide full coverage exclusively for those over 65 and would cost $1.7 billion to $2 billion, while the fourth approach, which is a preventive care-only option, would range from $2.7 billion to $3.8 billion.

To put these figures into perspective, Medicare's budget for the last financial year was $31 billion, and the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) had a $37 billion cost.

The inclusion of dental treatments in Medicare has been a long-standing consideration, dating back to the program's inception in the 1970s, but was ultimately excluded due to budgetary constraints.

The average Australian currently pays around $230 for a standard dentist visit, according to health directory Cleanbill.

This cost barrier has led to a significant portion of the population neglecting their dental health, which can lead to more severe health issues down the line.
Key Takeaways

• A Senate inquiry has proposed that Medicare in Australia be expanded to include free dental care, which could cost taxpayers an extra $12 billion a year.
  • Under the current system, most dental treatments are not covered by Medicare, with exceptions for certain children under 17 years old and concession card holders.
  • A range of options for expanding dental coverage under Medicare has been costed, including both capped and uncapped versions of across-the-board coverage, means-tested rebates, over-65s coverage, and preventive care coverage.
  • Dental treatments were originally intended to be included in Medicare when it was established in the 1970s but were cut due to budgetary reasons.
Members, what are your thoughts on this update to Medicare coverage? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored

Under the current system, visiting the dentist and paying for treatments can put a big dent in many household budgets.

Medicare's potential expansion to include free dental care for all Australians is a monumental proposal that could redefine healthcare in the country.

However, this ambitious plan comes with a hefty price tag—an additional $12 billion per year from taxpayers' pockets.

View attachment 39025
A proposal to include dental healthcare under Medicare’s coverage has been presented to Health Minister Mark Butler. Image source: prostooleh on Freepik.

The proposal, which has been presented to Health Minister Mark Butler, is the result of a senate inquiry into the current state of dental care in Australia.

The inquiry's findings have highlighted a significant gap in the healthcare system, with many Australians forgoing necessary dental treatments due to the prohibitive costs.

As it stands, except for children under 17 who meet certain criteria and some concession cardholders, dental services are not covered by Medicare, leaving the majority of patients to pay out of pocket.

Grattan Institute's 2023 report painted a concerning picture: 32 per cent of Australians who needed dental care chose to skip it, with cost being the primary deterrent for half of them.

This equates to millions of Australians neglecting their dental health, which can have far-reaching consequences for their overall well-being.

The report suggested that the upcoming revision of the National Health Reform Agreement could serve as a platform to negotiate a new dental scheme between federal and state governments.

The Parliamentary Budget Office has explored various models to integrate dental care into Medicare as part of a Greens-led inquiry, which also involved representatives from both Labor and the Coalition.

Four different systems were costed, with both capped and uncapped benefit options.

The most comprehensive approach, which offers coverage for all Medicare cardholders, would require an investment of $8.3 billion over five years for the capped version and $11.6 billion for the uncapped.

Another approach is the means-tested model which will target those on income support and pensioners would cost between $3 billion for the capped version and $4 billion for the uncapped version.

The third approach will provide full coverage exclusively for those over 65 and would cost $1.7 billion to $2 billion, while the fourth approach, which is a preventive care-only option, would range from $2.7 billion to $3.8 billion.

To put these figures into perspective, Medicare's budget for the last financial year was $31 billion, and the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) had a $37 billion cost.

The inclusion of dental treatments in Medicare has been a long-standing consideration, dating back to the program's inception in the 1970s, but was ultimately excluded due to budgetary constraints.

The average Australian currently pays around $230 for a standard dentist visit, according to health directory Cleanbill.

This cost barrier has led to a significant portion of the population neglecting their dental health, which can lead to more severe health issues down the line.
Key Takeaways

• A Senate inquiry has proposed that Medicare in Australia be expanded to include free dental care, which could cost taxpayers an extra $12 billion a year.
  • Under the current system, most dental treatments are not covered by Medicare, with exceptions for certain children under 17 years old and concession card holders.
  • A range of options for expanding dental coverage under Medicare has been costed, including both capped and uncapped versions of across-the-board coverage, means-tested rebates, over-65s coverage, and preventive care coverage.
  • Dental treatments were originally intended to be included in Medicare when it was established in the 1970s but were cut due to budgetary reasons.
Members, what are your thoughts on this update to Medicare coverage? Let us know in the comments below!
A much better idea than overseas aide. I had a quote, 1 extraction add 3 teeth to my top plate : $1200 !!

I do believe this should be bought in for all Australians who cannot afford dental care. My daughter is one of these people who forgoes dental treatment because she cannot afford it. She works full time but with the cost of living and her rent having gone up $80 a week more there is little left for anything else and she definitely needs dental care. She paid off her last lot and that was years ago but still has a lot to get fixed and just can’t afford it. I’m thankful, being a pensioner we get free dental care and have never had a problem accessing this when needed.

Reactions: Littleboy8

View attachment 39025

Key Takeaways

I think this is an excellent thing to happen. After all it's part of our health. It would be nice to see people who are currently with rotten or missing teeth to be healthier and look better.

I think this is an excellent thing to happen. After all it's part of our health. It would be nice to see people who are currently with rotten or missing teeth to be healthier and look better.
Yes and to smile again because they feel healthier and not miserable.😍

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Taxpayers are already overtaxed. There are private dental plans that work and don't cost a lot. I have been able to pay my dentist a set amount monthly with no interest. Labor needs to take care of the working homeless, and pass a law capping rental costs. They could have used 'the voice' funds for the aforementioned. Finland has removed homelessness almost completely. Taking care of citizens, basic needs must come first.

Sorry to hear that. Hope he has made an appointment at the hospital for a checkup, so it doesn't happen again,
Also, I believe if you go to your doctor with urgent dental issue, they can refer you to the hospital for urgent attention under Medicare.
Clancieblue. Thank you for your reply, my Grandson was on a Hospital waiting list for such a very long time, when I checked on when he would be likely to have a checkup. I was reminded that there was a waiting list and I would be informed when his time came. Still no response. that was no help to me at all when the situation became urgent.
I didn't know about the Doctor requested
Urgent attention, so thank you for that. I will do that if the need is there in the future.

Clancieblue. Thank you for your reply, my Grandson was on a Hospital waiting list for such a very long time, when I checked on when he would be likely to have a checkup. I was reminded that there was a waiting list and I would be informed when his time came. Still no response. that was no help to me at all when the situation became urgent.
I didn't know about the Doctor requested
Urgent attention, so thank you for that. I will do that if the need is there in the future.
Very helpful bit of info I didn’t know that and I bet a lot of people don’t either.🤔Thankyou

Reactions: Suzanne rose
And, like, I would cheerfully, like, shoot the person who invented , like, the word "like".
That word "Like", has permeated the spoken word by younger folk for so long now I think it is inbred . Private conversation is bad enough, but when it is spoken in a supposedly Intelligent speech by "so called educated people".
I find, I lose interest in the subject very quickly.

View attachment 39025

Key Takeaways

So far under Labour my prescriptions have risen more than 50%, as an after thought I refuse to follow their inability to spell correctly the prevailing political party.

View attachment 39025

Key Takeaways

My fear it that it will end up like NDIS...........being exploited and become very, very expensive for taxpayers to fund.
\

View attachment 39025

Key Takeaways

Personally, I think it is needed and long overdue. I like the means tested model best. It sounds fair and a progressive approach.

My fear it that it will end up like NDIS...........being exploited and become very, very expensive for taxpayers to fund.
\
I agree there needs to be a serious inquiry into the exploitation of the
NDIS and no doubt it is rampant across
the Board.
My Grandson receives support for all of his professional supports. He is where he is today because of those supports. I hate to think what his condition would be like without those so very valuable interventions
There is no way he would have achieved
the intervention of his ongoing programs if I had to pay for them I very rigidly stated right from the very beginning of his involvement with the NDIS that I did not want to have access to any of his funding, purely because I felt it could be used wrongly and illegally or
be used for other things not related to the benefits it was intended for. There are honest people who do this honorably but there are others who take advantage of it, and cause serious harm to the people who were given it for their assistance in being able to receive the best outcome for their lives.

On the other side of that if providers of these services are rorting the system they should be stricken from being in a position of authority and taken to the Courts to explain themselves thoroughly.
and prosecuted to the full extent of the Law if found to be guilty.

Whilst I am so very grateful for everything the NDIS has done for my Grandson, and continues to do. I would hate for this funding to be removed because of the Fraudulent Actions of unscupulous individuals who
destroy everything for their own cruel
agendas.

Reactions: Knell
I agree there needs to be a serious inquiry into the exploitation of the
NDIS and no doubt it is rampant across
the Board.
My Grandson receives support for all of his professional supports. He is where he is today because of those supports. I hate to think what his condition would be like without those so very valuable interventions
There is no way he would have achieved
the intervention of his ongoing programs if I had to pay for them I very rigidly stated right from the very beginning of his involvement with the NDIS that I did not want to have access to any of his funding, purely because I felt it could be used wrongly and illegally or
be used for other things not related to the benefits it was intended for. There are honest people who do this honorably but there are others who take advantage of it, and cause serious harm to the people who were given it for their assistance in being able to receive the best outcome for their lives.

On the other side of that if providers of these services are rorting the system they should be stricken from being in a position of authority and taken to the Courts to explain themselves thoroughly.
and prosecuted to the full extent of the Law if found to be guilty.

Whilst I am so very grateful for everything the NDIS has done for my Grandson, and continues to do. I would hate for this funding to be removed because of the Fraudulent Actions of unscupulous individuals who
destroy everything for their own cruel
agendas.
It says at the top of this post there has been an inquiry in 2023 😊

It says at the top of this post there has been an inquiry in 2023 😊
Brody
No doubt you are better informed, than I am, so what was the outcome of that ?
I would appreciate any information you would like to give me. I must confess I haven't been able to keep up with the proceedings.

View attachment 39025

Key Takeaways

Dental health was provided to low income earners In Melbourne by the Royal Dental hospital. There are still some public hospitals which provide subsidised dental clinics and vouchers for dental practitioners when clinics are fully booked. The problem is there are not enough subsidised clinics and treatment is only when severe pain is reported. Improve and extend existing services to provide care for dental checkups and teeth cleaning at a low cost, and you won’t need Medicare to make it free. Currently, subsidised clinics charge $15 per visit for pensioners and health care card holders.