Major Woolworths change infuriates shoppers

Are you a Woolworths shopper? Have you noticed a recent change that could cost you more if you’re not signed up for the Everyday Rewards Program?

This week, Woolworths shoppers noticed a huge change to the retailer’s loyalty scheme–customers have been separated into different status groups regarding certain prices.

One understandably frustrated shopper shared a photo of a shelf label highlighting how members are eligible for exclusive access to cheaper prices on various items.

It shows packets of Cobs Salted Caramel Popcorn priced at two for $6 for Everyday Rewards members and $4 each for non-members.

photo (12).jpg
Woolworths now has separate prices for Everyday Rewards members. Credit: Reddit.

We checked their website and found that Woolworths sells this product for $3.50 each.

Naturally, this move has caused an outcry from those who aren’t signed up for the loyalty program, with some vowing to take their money elsewhere or disgusted that such subscription programs are sneaking into supermarkets.

‘Thanks, Woolies! It's always good to know you COULD have sold me something cheaper but chose not,’ one commented on the post.

‘A sign that says you're shopping in the wrong place,’ a second user wrote.

A third commenter shared their frustration, ‘This price gouging nonsense has made me the healthiest I’ve been in my entire life because I simply cannot and will not pay these prices for these kind of products.’

On the other hand, some are pointing out that membership prices have always been a thing.

‘Membership is free and you also get coupons, free coffees, and can earn points toward free flights. If you don't like it, just pay $4,’ a user pointed out.

‘Can someone explain what is wrong here? Are member cards not a thing in Australia?’ someone asked.

One shopper said that the new prices could cause confusion, ‘I got tricked by this a couple of times,’ they vented, referring to a previous iteration of the offer.

‘I didn't have a rewards card then, and the non-member price was so small, I didn't know I would be charged more until I got to the register.’

Screenshot 2023-08-25 111422.png
Woolworths encouraged shoppers to join Everyday Rewards. Credit: Everyday Rewards

Consumer expert Professor Gary Mortimer believes this move is a smart one for Woolies, as it will attract more Australians looking for ways to spend less amid the cost-of-living crisis.

‘The challenge of supermarket shopping is that we know most consumers will shop across two or three different brands of grocery supermarket to save money,’ he said.

‘[H]aving a program that's stickier than others works better for a retailer. If you're able to create a program that creates a level of exclusivity and better value for your members, they're more likely to shop with you and stick with you.’

In that same post, disgruntled shoppers have cited privacy concerns as a reason they don’t want to join the loyalty scheme.

‘It's such b******* that every shop has to have memberships now. I know it's free and easy to sign up, but it's all about data mining and detailed profiles, which are creepy in my opinion,’ one shopper said.

But Professor Mortimer isn’t concerned: 'Those customers who are up in arms about supermarkets holding their data have possibly been living in a cave for the last 30 years,' he stated.

'Ever since Flybuys launched in 1994, every time you scan your rewards card with whichever retailer, you understand that they're going to capture who you are and what you just bought.'

Several customers echoed Professor Mortimer’s sentiment that Woolworths’ use of data is not concerning.

'Who cares if they collect data on what I shop?' one customer wrote, 'OMG, they know I eat beef mince and tasty cheese!'

Several appreciated receiving emails when their groceries go on sale, with one user calling it 'the best system they implemented.'

An Everyday Rewards spokesperson explained that member pricing would be a big focus moving forward, 'We plan to continually evolve our Member Pricing program with more Member Pricing offers to be introduced in the coming weeks.'

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths has made changes to its loyalty scheme that provides members with exclusive access to lower prices.
  • Customers have voiced dissatisfaction with the change, expressing concerns over pricing confusion and privacy due to data collection.
  • Consumer expert Professor Gary Mortimer asserts the move will most likely attract more consumers aiming to save money amidst a cost-of-living crisis.
  • An Everyday Rewards spokesperson mentioned that member pricing will be a significant focus going forward, with additional member pricing offers planned.

Members, what do you think? Do you believe in having separate prices for members and non-members? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I've been a member of various loyalty programs for decades, and have never encountered any problems as a result, and certainly nothing that violates my privacy. I don't have to sign my life away, and you don't give them credit card or bank details, and you don't have to give them drivers' licence or passport ID, so what's the problem?

Increasingly, it seems to me, there is a growing contingent that will whinge about any and every change, not matter how small it might be.

Life has never been an immutable thing. As individuals and as a collective species, our adaptability determines how effectively we survive and thrive.

Jess

Are you a Woolworths shopper? Have you noticed a recent change that could cost you more if you’re not signed up for the Everyday Rewards Program?

This week, Woolworths shoppers noticed a huge change to the retailer’s loyalty scheme–customers have been separated into different status groups regarding certain prices.

One understandably frustrated shopper shared a photo of a shelf label highlighting how members are eligible for exclusive access to cheaper prices on various items.

It shows packets of Cobs Salted Caramel Popcorn priced at two for $6 for Everyday Rewards members and $4 each for non-members.

View attachment 28272
Woolworths now has separate prices for Everyday Rewards members. Credit: Reddit.

We checked their website and found that Woolworths sells this product for $3.50 each.

Naturally, this move has caused an outcry from those who aren’t signed up for the loyalty program, with some vowing to take their money elsewhere or disgusted that such subscription programs are sneaking into supermarkets.

‘Thanks, Woolies! It's always good to know you COULD have sold me something cheaper but chose not,’ one commented on the post.

A third commenter shared their frustration, ‘This price gouging nonsense has made me the healthiest I’ve been in my entire life because I simply cannot and will not pay these prices for these kind of products.’

On the other hand, some are pointing out that membership prices have always been a thing.

‘Membership is free and you also get coupons, free coffees, and can earn points toward free flights. If you don't like it, just pay $4,’ a user pointed out.

‘Can someone explain what is wrong here? Are member cards not a thing in Australia?’ someone asked.

One shopper said that the new prices could cause confusion, ‘I got tricked by this a couple of times,’ they vented, referring to a previous iteration of the offer.

‘I didn't have a rewards card then, and the non-member price was so small, I didn't know I would be charged more until I got to the register.’

View attachment 28273
Woolworths encouraged shoppers to join Everyday Rewards. Credit: Everyday Rewards

Consumer expert Professor Gary Mortimer believes this move is a smart one for Woolies, as it will attract more Australians looking for ways to spend less amid the cost-of-living crisis.

‘The challenge of supermarket shopping is that we know most consumers will shop across two or three different brands of grocery supermarket to save money,’ he said.

‘[H]aving a program that's stickier than others works better for a retailer. If you're able to create a program that creates a level of exclusivity and better value for your members, they're more likely to shop with you and stick with you.’

In that same post, disgruntled shoppers have cited privacy concerns as a reason they don’t want to join the loyalty scheme.

‘It's such b******* that every shop has to have memberships now. I know it's free and easy to sign up, but it's all about data mining and detailed profiles, which are creepy in my opinion,’ one shopper said.

But Professor Mortimer isn’t concerned: 'Those customers who are up in arms about supermarkets holding their data have possibly been living in a cave for the last 30 years,' he stated.

'Ever since Flybuys launched in 1994, every time you scan your rewards card with whichever retailer, you understand that they're going to capture who you are and what you just bought.'

Several customers echoed Professor Mortimer’s sentiment that Woolworths’ use of data is not concerning.

'Who cares if they collect data on what I shop?' one customer wrote, 'OMG, they know I eat beef mince and tasty cheese!'

Several appreciated receiving emails when their groceries go on sale, with one user calling it 'the best system they implemented.'

An Everyday Rewards spokesperson explained that member pricing would be a big focus moving forward, 'We plan to continually evolve our Member Pricing program with more Member Pricing offers to be introduced in the coming weeks.'

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has made changes to its loyalty scheme that provides members with exclusive access to lower prices.
  • Customers have voiced dissatisfaction with the change, expressing concerns over pricing confusion and privacy due to data collection.
  • Consumer expert Professor Gary Mortimer asserts the move will most likely attract more consumers aiming to save money amidst a cost-of-living crisis.
  • An Everyday Rewards spokesperson mentioned that member pricing will be a significant focus going forward, with additional member pricing offers planned.

Members, what do you think? Do you believe in having separate prices for members and non-members? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below.
I have a rewards card. I don’t shop exclusively at Woolworths. I don’t see a problem with this incentive. It’s free to join. You’re not out of pocket. And having a rewards card as far as privacy is no different to any time you buy with a bank card. We have no privacy from the powers that be. They know more about us than what we buy for dinner. I only joined the rewards this year. I keep an eye out on specials and yes I use woollies if it works for my budget. I opted to put my reward points toward Christmas food shopping and I have accumulated $120 so far with the little bit of shopping I do. My daughter shops so much more for a family of 5 and I know last year she had $300 in bonus points for her Christmas shop. I see that as a positive. As long as you don’t get sucked into buying something you don’t want just to get reward points I see this as a positive thing.

We need something done about Woolworths not allowing disabled pensioners the 10% discount if they have insurance with them, if the order online. Is there anything we can do? You can't wheel a walker and a trolley at the same time.

• Love
Reactions: Ricki and mOiOz
We need something done about Woolworths not allowing disabled pensioners the 10% discount if they have insurance with them, if the order online. Is there anything we can do? You can't wheel a walker and a trolley at the same time.
I have shopped on line at Woolies for 3 years now and used to get 10% discount off one shop per month. Now I can only get this if I shop in store. Being elderly and in poor health I cannot get to shops and am being penalised because of this. It is so unfair on the older generation. As a rewards member I have been given 2 free products but can only redeem these in store.

View attachment 28272

View attachment 28273

Key Takeaways

PAID memberships have become something of a disappointing rort, if not initial false advertising, since Woolworths decided to discriminate againstDirect to Boot customers by removing points awards for this convenience to elder, immunocompromised clients. 😡

I have shopped on line at Woolies for 3 years now and used to get 10% discount off one shop per month. Now I can only get this if I shop in store. Being elderly and in poor health I cannot get to shops and am being penalised because of this. It is so unfair on the older generation. As a rewards member I have been given 2 free products but can only redeem these in store.
Discrimination against we loyal elders, physically and immunocompromised is a greedy and insightless corporate error; Woolworths initially had an edge ( and a community conscience) in offering the same benefits to instore and online clients. Apparently and unfortunately, their board and shareholders cannot relate to, and do not anticipate the reality of age and medical challenges

Last edited:
YES!...(and if you are bedbound or cannot drive).

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
I don't engage in any loyalty programs and for no particular reason.
However, these programs have a subtle psychology behind them.
Some consumers are driven to achieve X number of points to be "rewarded" with their desired prize at the end of the rainbow.
As a result, they will overspend, purchasing items that they normally wouldn't or too much.
So the Woolies and Coles of this world are rubbing their hands together in anticipation of increased turnover and profit.
Don't lie - there's quite a few of you out there guilty of this behaviour.

My very elderly mother, a very independent soul, used to like to do her shopping at the supermarket with a little help from me. She also used a wheelie walker but happily replaced it with the shopping trolley when in the store, I can't see the problem here by replacing one with the other, it worked for her

Reactions: Loubeauxarts

View attachment 28272

View attachment 28273

Key Takeaways

I’ve not come across this members pricing yet but am looking forward to checking out what the benefits are in their catalog before I go shopping Not received any emails yet as a member giving details of any offers

Using a trolley is not as good as your trusted walker. The walker is more balanced and can be used at your own speed. Does not run away with you. I can’t go to the supermarket as I can’t leave the house. When I see the rewards points I work out whether still buying on a special is better and I won’t just go with the rewards item. Waiting for a special can work out much better. For instance how much is that rewards points saving me and how much is it when the item comes on special. Is the extra rewards subscription worth it since I can’t go to the supermarket not really sure.

View attachment 28272

View attachment 28273

Key Takeaways

when you have two prices for the same product it IS discriminating, as its putting a condition on one customer over another for the same purchase, as opposed to one customer purchasing a quantity, thus securing a discount for quantity, what's next, a discount for labor/liberal voters or left handed customers??...of course its discrimination

My very elderly mother, a very independent soul, used to like to do her shopping at the supermarket with a little help from me. She also used a wheelie walker but happily replaced it with the shopping trolley when in the store, I can't see the problem here by replacing one with the other, it worked for her
I hope your dear Mum secures her walker when shopping with something like a bike lock. The amount of lowlife scum these days would make off with it and straight to Cash Converters.

Reactions: Mrs Robyn
I hope this is not a "Coles copy" I HATE the two for a price!!! I'm shopping at Woolies because of that. I don't WANT to buy two if I only want one.

Reactions: Jersey Girl

View attachment 28272

View attachment 28273

Key Takeaways

I reckon it's pretty minor data compared with what you give away by going on the internet.

Reactions: terri and Mark1
I don't engage in any loyalty programs and for no particular reason.
However, these programs have a subtle psychology behind them.
Some consumers are driven to achieve X number of points to be "rewarded" with their desired prize at the end of the rainbow.
As a result, they will overspend, purchasing items that they normally wouldn't or too much.
So the Woolies and Coles of this world are rubbing their hands together in anticipation of increased turnover and profit.
Don't lie - there's quite a few of you out there guilty of this behaviour.
Nothing forces you to buy. You are responsible for your actions, not the retailer.

I have loyalty cards relative to every place I shop, even if it only once in a while.
IGA has had the price difference for members for years. They don't have a reward pay back. It also costs nothing to join. Your saving is in the price of the products. Definitely a place to catalogue shop. They have really good specials each week. Also, they have quite a strong program geared at helping local community aid near each store. I am told that also is based upon amount of spend by members.

As far as WW and Coles are concerned, each have their pros and cons. In the end one has to work out what they may or may not save at both. With committed planned shopping, I have saved quite a lot at WW, but not so much at Coles. I have got it down to an art to take advantage of the 10% discount. One main shop a month is working for me. Only milk and bread for top up shops, and the odd super special catalogue buy that can be stored. If someone asks me what I want for a gift, it's always gift cards that I can use for groceries. Every bit adds up. In readiness for Xmas, I buy small gift cards from my chosen supermarket through the year and use them for the big end of year shop. I could go on and on, however, everyone has different needs. It's just hubby and I along with visitors as they arrive. Bigger families are a different matter.

I have visited Costco with a paying member and found it OK, but not for me. I feel Costco is definitely geared toward people who will gain more by buying lots of products in bulk. Heads up, they have great muffins that are so big it looks like they have been taking steroids. My purchase that day included a couple of boxes which I promptly froze and they lasted months. They are very nice.

I don't like Aldi much. No membership, just DIY packing, unpacking, packing and unpacking. Didn't suit me at all. I used to live quite quite close to an Aldi. You haven't seen anything until you have seen me wheel a shopping trolley down the road, up into the home, unpacking straight into the kitchen then take the trolley back when next I shop. I would have done that more often, but the traffic was a bit of a bother. Don't live there anymore and am quite OK with that.

Ultimately, I have determined what suits me the best. I think if more folk took a bit of time to do their research and a little bit of basic budget planning, they may find it easier to get the saving they need. It's a jungle out there.