Major Woolworths change infuriates shoppers

Are you a Woolworths shopper? Have you noticed a recent change that could cost you more if you’re not signed up for the Everyday Rewards Program?

This week, Woolworths shoppers noticed a huge change to the retailer’s loyalty scheme–customers have been separated into different status groups regarding certain prices.

One understandably frustrated shopper shared a photo of a shelf label highlighting how members are eligible for exclusive access to cheaper prices on various items.

It shows packets of Cobs Salted Caramel Popcorn priced at two for $6 for Everyday Rewards members and $4 each for non-members.

photo (12).jpg
Woolworths now has separate prices for Everyday Rewards members. Credit: Reddit.

We checked their website and found that Woolworths sells this product for $3.50 each.

Naturally, this move has caused an outcry from those who aren’t signed up for the loyalty program, with some vowing to take their money elsewhere or disgusted that such subscription programs are sneaking into supermarkets.

‘Thanks, Woolies! It's always good to know you COULD have sold me something cheaper but chose not,’ one commented on the post.

‘A sign that says you're shopping in the wrong place,’ a second user wrote.

A third commenter shared their frustration, ‘This price gouging nonsense has made me the healthiest I’ve been in my entire life because I simply cannot and will not pay these prices for these kind of products.’

On the other hand, some are pointing out that membership prices have always been a thing.

‘Membership is free and you also get coupons, free coffees, and can earn points toward free flights. If you don't like it, just pay $4,’ a user pointed out.

‘Can someone explain what is wrong here? Are member cards not a thing in Australia?’ someone asked.

One shopper said that the new prices could cause confusion, ‘I got tricked by this a couple of times,’ they vented, referring to a previous iteration of the offer.

‘I didn't have a rewards card then, and the non-member price was so small, I didn't know I would be charged more until I got to the register.’

Screenshot 2023-08-25 111422.png
Woolworths encouraged shoppers to join Everyday Rewards. Credit: Everyday Rewards

Consumer expert Professor Gary Mortimer believes this move is a smart one for Woolies, as it will attract more Australians looking for ways to spend less amid the cost-of-living crisis.

‘The challenge of supermarket shopping is that we know most consumers will shop across two or three different brands of grocery supermarket to save money,’ he said.

‘[H]aving a program that's stickier than others works better for a retailer. If you're able to create a program that creates a level of exclusivity and better value for your members, they're more likely to shop with you and stick with you.’

In that same post, disgruntled shoppers have cited privacy concerns as a reason they don’t want to join the loyalty scheme.

‘It's such b******* that every shop has to have memberships now. I know it's free and easy to sign up, but it's all about data mining and detailed profiles, which are creepy in my opinion,’ one shopper said.

But Professor Mortimer isn’t concerned: 'Those customers who are up in arms about supermarkets holding their data have possibly been living in a cave for the last 30 years,' he stated.

'Ever since Flybuys launched in 1994, every time you scan your rewards card with whichever retailer, you understand that they're going to capture who you are and what you just bought.'

Several customers echoed Professor Mortimer’s sentiment that Woolworths’ use of data is not concerning.

'Who cares if they collect data on what I shop?' one customer wrote, 'OMG, they know I eat beef mince and tasty cheese!'

Several appreciated receiving emails when their groceries go on sale, with one user calling it 'the best system they implemented.'

An Everyday Rewards spokesperson explained that member pricing would be a big focus moving forward, 'We plan to continually evolve our Member Pricing program with more Member Pricing offers to be introduced in the coming weeks.'

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths has made changes to its loyalty scheme that provides members with exclusive access to lower prices.
  • Customers have voiced dissatisfaction with the change, expressing concerns over pricing confusion and privacy due to data collection.
  • Consumer expert Professor Gary Mortimer asserts the move will most likely attract more consumers aiming to save money amidst a cost-of-living crisis.
  • An Everyday Rewards spokesperson mentioned that member pricing will be a significant focus going forward, with additional member pricing offers planned.

Members, what do you think? Do you believe in having separate prices for members and non-members? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Are you a Woolworths shopper? Have you noticed a recent change that could cost you more if you’re not signed up for the Everyday Rewards Program?

This week, Woolworths shoppers noticed a huge change to the retailer’s loyalty scheme–customers have been separated into different status groups regarding certain prices.

One understandably frustrated shopper shared a photo of a shelf label highlighting how members are eligible for exclusive access to cheaper prices on various items.

It shows packets of Cobs Salted Caramel Popcorn priced at two for $6 for Everyday Rewards members and $4 each for non-members.

View attachment 28272
Woolworths now has separate prices for Everyday Rewards members. Credit: Reddit.

We checked their website and found that Woolworths sells this product for $3.50 each.

Naturally, this move has caused an outcry from those who aren’t signed up for the loyalty program, with some vowing to take their money elsewhere or disgusted that such subscription programs are sneaking into supermarkets.

‘Thanks, Woolies! It's always good to know you COULD have sold me something cheaper but chose not,’ one commented on the post.

‘A sign that says you're shopping in the wrong place,’ a second user wrote.

A third commenter shared their frustration, ‘This price gouging nonsense has made me the healthiest I’ve been in my entire life because I simply cannot and will not pay these prices for these kind of products.’

On the other hand, some are pointing out that membership prices have always been a thing.

‘Membership is free and you also get coupons, free coffees, and can earn points toward free flights. If you don't like it, just pay $4,’ a user pointed out.

‘Can someone explain what is wrong here? Are member cards not a thing in Australia?’ someone asked.

One shopper said that the new prices could cause confusion, ‘I got tricked by this a couple of times,’ they vented, referring to a previous iteration of the offer.

‘I didn't have a rewards card then, and the non-member price was so small, I didn't know I would be charged more until I got to the register.’

View attachment 28273
Woolworths encouraged shoppers to join Everyday Rewards. Credit: Everyday Rewards

Consumer expert Professor Gary Mortimer believes this move is a smart one for Woolies, as it will attract more Australians looking for ways to spend less amid the cost-of-living crisis.

‘The challenge of supermarket shopping is that we know most consumers will shop across two or three different brands of grocery supermarket to save money,’ he said.

‘[H]aving a program that's stickier than others works better for a retailer. If you're able to create a program that creates a level of exclusivity and better value for your members, they're more likely to shop with you and stick with you.’

In that same post, disgruntled shoppers have cited privacy concerns as a reason they don’t want to join the loyalty scheme.

‘It's such b******* that every shop has to have memberships now. I know it's free and easy to sign up, but it's all about data mining and detailed profiles, which are creepy in my opinion,’ one shopper said.

But Professor Mortimer isn’t concerned: 'Those customers who are up in arms about supermarkets holding their data have possibly been living in a cave for the last 30 years,' he stated.

'Ever since Flybuys launched in 1994, every time you scan your rewards card with whichever retailer, you understand that they're going to capture who you are and what you just bought.'

Several customers echoed Professor Mortimer’s sentiment that Woolworths’ use of data is not concerning.

'Who cares if they collect data on what I shop?' one customer wrote, 'OMG, they know I eat beef mince and tasty cheese!'

Several appreciated receiving emails when their groceries go on sale, with one user calling it 'the best system they implemented.'

An Everyday Rewards spokesperson explained that member pricing would be a big focus moving forward, 'We plan to continually evolve our Member Pricing program with more Member Pricing offers to be introduced in the coming weeks.'

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has made changes to its loyalty scheme that provides members with exclusive access to lower prices.
  • Customers have voiced dissatisfaction with the change, expressing concerns over pricing confusion and privacy due to data collection.
  • Consumer expert Professor Gary Mortimer asserts the move will most likely attract more consumers aiming to save money amidst a cost-of-living crisis.
  • An Everyday Rewards spokesperson mentioned that member pricing will be a significant focus going forward, with additional member pricing offers planned.

Members, what do you think? Do you believe in having separate prices for members and non-members? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below.
I have a special method to get the lower prices all the time.

Wait for it...

Get an Everyday Rewards card. It's free!