Major driving licence update may affect over one million Aussie drivers

The open road could be a place of freedom and joy.

However, it also comes with a significant responsibility.

For those who enjoy the thrill of driving—especially those with a penchant for high-powered vehicles—a vital update could set a precedent nationwide.

For the first time in Australian history, over one million South Australian drivers could face stricter requirements should they plan to drive ultra-high-powered vehicles (UHPVs).

Starting in December, drivers will be required to complete an interactive online course to educate them on the risks associated with UHPVs.

The course will cover vehicle features, safety systems, maintenance, laws, and penalties to compel drivers to take responsibility for their actions behind the wheel.

compressed-roads.jpeg
The upcoming regulations aim to promote better driving practices in South Australia. Image Credit: Shutterstock/nblx

According to South Australian road authorities, UHPVs are any vehicle with a power-to-weight ratio of 276 kilowatts per tonne or more.

This classification excludes buses, motorbikes, and trikes.

The change was a response to a tragic event that sparked a nationwide conversation about road safety and driver accountability.

In 2019, 15-year-old Sophia Naismith was struck by an out-of-control Lamborghini, leading to her death.

The incident not only devastated her family but also raised questions about which drivers can use UHPVs on public roads.

Thanks to the Naismith family's calls for accountability, South Australia introduced a specific U-class licence for UHPV drivers.

The state's Minister for Infrastructure and Transport, Tom Koutsantonis, expressed pride in introducing the new requirements.

'Through practical modules, we're compelling drivers to take responsibility and be aware of the additional risks that come with driving a UHPV,' Koutsantonis shared.

This initiative was also part of a broader conversation about road safety in Australia.

According to the Bureau of Infrastructure and Transport Research Economics (BITRE), road tolls rose by 7.3 per cent in the past 12 months—indicating a clear need for action.

Ideas such as special licences for recreational vehicles and refresher courses for licence renewal have also emerged nationwide.

Road safety expert Professor Andre Rakotonirainy also pointed out that there's no 'silver bullet' for road safety.

While reacting to specific crashes can lead to positive changes, a sustainable approach to reducing road fatalities would require a multifaceted strategy.

While the licensing requirement will not take effect nationwide yet, it's a reminder to stay vigilant on the road.

Whether you're driving a family sedan or a luxury sports car, the principles of safe driving remain the same.

After all, the thrill of driving should never come at the cost of safety.
Key Takeaways

• South Australia introduced a nation-first requirement for additional training and a U-class licence to drive high-powered vehicles.
  • The Naismith family's campaign drove the reforms after the death of 15-year-old daughter Sophia, who died due to an out-of-control Lamborghini.
  • Drivers who want to drive around UHPVs would be required to complete practical modules on various topics, including safety systems and laws.
  • The introduction of more rigorous licensing requirements aimed to make drivers more accountable and reduce road incidents following an increase in the national road toll in Australia.
What are your thoughts on these new licensing requirements? Will these rules make our roads safer? Let us know your thoughts in the comment below.

Sponsored
I believe that far too many people get behind the wheel of these cars and have no idea of the power these cars have. I think that if you intend to buy one of these more powerful cars then you should be forced to be tested on a closed road circuit to ensure these people can handle these cars.

Reactions: Tervueren
I was the proud owner of a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10 back in the mid 2010s. It had a power-to-weight ratio of over 700 kilowatts per tonne. It was rated at 0 - 100 kmh of 2.8 seconds with a top speed of just over 300 kmh. It was funny when turkeys in their "high performance" BMWs and Mercedes wanted a race off at the lights. Very few cars would give me a run for my money. The Lamborghini Aventador comes to mind with a power-to-weight ratio of about 317 kilowatts per tonne. Never had the chance for such a challenge! :p

I only had it up to about 255 kmh on the Mitchell Highway between Trangie and Nyngan on a cloudless and windless day with hardly any cars or trucks in sight.

A high power-to-weight ratio does not always equate to high acceleration or top speed.
It is all well and good doing 200 or 300kmph, it is the sudden stop that kills.

Reactions: Rob44 and Sooty61
I was the proud owner of a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10 back in the mid 2010s. It had a power-to-weight ratio of over 700 kilowatts per tonne. It was rated at 0 - 100 kmh of 2.8 seconds with a top speed of just over 300 kmh. It was funny when turkeys in their "high performance" BMWs and Mercedes wanted a race off at the lights. Very few cars would give me a run for my money. The Lamborghini Aventador comes to mind with a power-to-weight ratio of about 317 kilowatts per tonne. Never had the chance for such a challenge! :p

I only had it up to about 255 kmh on the Mitchell Highway between Trangie and Nyngan on a cloudless and windless day with hardly any cars or trucks in sight.

A high power-to-weight ratio does not always equate to high acceleration or top speed.
Hi Veggie you sound like my late hubby he drove like a lunatic but he was a very good driver.One of our friends we dropped off at home was so scared she said she would never get in the car with him again .

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Yeah newbies. I got a bike licence many decades ago, this wasn't in force then, but it came out later. Don't know the details but I got in on the older system so it didn't affect me
In Sth Aust Im thinking about 1980. Im like you old school had my class 4 bike licence prior to that date. What amazes me is how fast 250s became after the law changed.

Yet another step for left wing extremist governments to take control of everything you do, everything you say and everything you think, governments in Australia are out of control and power hungry, the tragedy of the stupid driver should be dealt with by the courts and yet we see the stupidity of one impact on everyone, if the left wing judge's were what they should be then an example would have been made of the Lamborghini driver, enough is enough of control, I personally don't own a fast car but why impact those who have, if the courts took control of adolescents instead of saying naughty boys then that's where bad behaviour starts.

It is all well and good doing 200 or 300kmph, it is the sudden stop that kills.
A major consideration is the upkeep of the bike. Not much change from $1000 per a set of Pirelli Diablo GTs. A set of top quality o ring chain and sprockets and you're looking at around $270. The two most important aspects to maintaining a safe motorcycle.

A good ability to ride such a high powered machine is also paramount.

I have always had the view that 98% of vehicle "accidents" arise from the human factor. Poor driver/rider skills and education, substance affected driving/riding, poor maintenance of the vehicle, not driving/riding to the conditions or plain stupidity to mention a few. Only unexpected collision with wayward wildlife or a falling tree branch could be considered as a contributor to a true accident. The occasional pothole may fit this description.

Yet another step for left wing extremist governments to take control of everything you do, everything you say and everything you think, governments in Australia are out of control and power hungry, the tragedy of the stupid driver should be dealt with by the courts and yet we see the stupidity of one impact on everyone, if the left wing judge's were what they should be then an example would have been made of the Lamborghini driver, enough is enough of control, I personally don't own a fast car but why impact those who have, if the courts took control of adolescents instead of saying naughty boys then that's where bad behaviour starts.
Oh hell!! The government of the day determines the inexperience or stupidity of a motor vehicle operator?

I believe that far too many people get behind the wheel of these cars and have no idea of the power these cars have. I think that if you intend to buy one of these more powerful cars then you should be forced to be tested on a closed road circuit to ensure these people can handle these cars.
In the early 1990s, Porsche had such a driver orientation course for their new car buyers. I expect that manufacturers of other performance vehicles had the same program.

Ah. All is now revealed.

Ah. All is now revealed.
It explains why I am still here and not splattered across some road or bonnet. I have had about seven motorcycle incidents from 1980 up to 2017 which ended with me being on my arse. One was from unsignposted roadworks in a residential street at night. Another was due to a sudden tyre deflation thanks to a countersunk screw. All the others resulted from dingbat drivers who had their eyes screwed onto their arse. All but one were foreigners. All IS revealed! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: BabsL
In Germany, it is very difficult to obtain one's Drivers License. They have Autobahns there that have no upper-speed limit at all, so it is imperative that you can control and manage a car at all times and at high speeds. Surely it would make more sense to increase the skill level of ALL new drivers so that everyone is safer on our roads? Many accidents occur from ignorant and slow drivers too, not just those driving powerful vehicles.

For a start 17 year olds getting their licence should be barred from driving high power cars......at least till they get some sense.
Putting a kid in charge of a powerful vehicle is the worst thing you can do !
Looking at the road accidents Australia has, the age limit should be raised to 21 for new licence holders.
Return to learning their Road Rules for their Driver’s Licence Test by ROTE.
Make them MEMORISE EVERY RULE like we had to do. It is the only way to learn and remember!
No more Choice of Three questions in a computer screen! That is lax and lazy for the lax and lousy drivers.

Why are children’s Traffic Schools no longer used ? They were invaluable tools that made kids think!

For a start 17 year olds getting their licence should be barred from driving high power cars......at least till they get some sense.
Looking at the road accidents Australia has, the age limit should be raised to 21 for new licence holders.
I think you are on the political ban wagon with this reply AS tell me what 4cly motor car does not exceed or gets close to 160 ks mph And you are saying thats not a powererfull car

I suggest as precursor to a car licence all learners should be compelled for one year to ride a motorbike of no more than 100cc and no power greater than that of the postie motorbike. Those who survive will have learnt both how to read the traffic ahead of them, and also caution. Age 16 or 17 is too young to be driving a modern car.

• Wow