Major driving licence update may affect over one million Aussie drivers

The open road could be a place of freedom and joy.

However, it also comes with a significant responsibility.

For those who enjoy the thrill of driving—especially those with a penchant for high-powered vehicles—a vital update could set a precedent nationwide.

For the first time in Australian history, over one million South Australian drivers could face stricter requirements should they plan to drive ultra-high-powered vehicles (UHPVs).

Starting in December, drivers will be required to complete an interactive online course to educate them on the risks associated with UHPVs.

The course will cover vehicle features, safety systems, maintenance, laws, and penalties to compel drivers to take responsibility for their actions behind the wheel.

compressed-roads.jpeg
The upcoming regulations aim to promote better driving practices in South Australia. Image Credit: Shutterstock/nblx

According to South Australian road authorities, UHPVs are any vehicle with a power-to-weight ratio of 276 kilowatts per tonne or more.

This classification excludes buses, motorbikes, and trikes.

The change was a response to a tragic event that sparked a nationwide conversation about road safety and driver accountability.

In 2019, 15-year-old Sophia Naismith was struck by an out-of-control Lamborghini, leading to her death.

The incident not only devastated her family but also raised questions about which drivers can use UHPVs on public roads.

Thanks to the Naismith family's calls for accountability, South Australia introduced a specific U-class licence for UHPV drivers.

The state's Minister for Infrastructure and Transport, Tom Koutsantonis, expressed pride in introducing the new requirements.

'Through practical modules, we're compelling drivers to take responsibility and be aware of the additional risks that come with driving a UHPV,' Koutsantonis shared.

This initiative was also part of a broader conversation about road safety in Australia.

According to the Bureau of Infrastructure and Transport Research Economics (BITRE), road tolls rose by 7.3 per cent in the past 12 months—indicating a clear need for action.

Ideas such as special licences for recreational vehicles and refresher courses for licence renewal have also emerged nationwide.

Road safety expert Professor Andre Rakotonirainy also pointed out that there's no 'silver bullet' for road safety.

While reacting to specific crashes can lead to positive changes, a sustainable approach to reducing road fatalities would require a multifaceted strategy.

While the licensing requirement will not take effect nationwide yet, it's a reminder to stay vigilant on the road.

Whether you're driving a family sedan or a luxury sports car, the principles of safe driving remain the same.

After all, the thrill of driving should never come at the cost of safety.
Key Takeaways

• South Australia introduced a nation-first requirement for additional training and a U-class licence to drive high-powered vehicles.
  • The Naismith family's campaign drove the reforms after the death of 15-year-old daughter Sophia, who died due to an out-of-control Lamborghini.
  • Drivers who want to drive around UHPVs would be required to complete practical modules on various topics, including safety systems and laws.
  • The introduction of more rigorous licensing requirements aimed to make drivers more accountable and reduce road incidents following an increase in the national road toll in Australia.
What are your thoughts on these new licensing requirements? Will these rules make our roads safer? Let us know your thoughts in the comment below.

Sponsored
I think you are on the political ban wagon with this reply AS tell me what 4cly motor car does not exceed or gets close to 160 ks mph And you are saying thats not a powererfull car
Anyone remember the Victorian guy that got "clocked" doing 158 kmh in 2003 in a 1975 Datsun 120Y? Independent testing by a race driver showed the car was not capable of more than 117 kmh!

The poor old Datsun had a whopping power-to-weight ratio of 46 kilowatts per tonne. My Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10 had over 15 times that figure. Luckily if the Datsun could go up a slight incline with only the driver! How would it be with five occupants! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Ezzy
being a queenslander i am not one bit interested in sth australians and their driving rules. please state the state in your heading. saves me time.

W.A. has restrictions on P Plate drivers with regards to the power ratio of cars & bikes that can be driven. There are also a different class of licence for 250cc motor bikes. We also have a system where a person who has a manual driver's licence can drive an automatic but someone with a licence to drive an automatic car cannot drive a manual.

I had a nephew who was killed while racing another bike rider on a bike of a higher power ratio than he had a licence to operate.

Dealers should be made more accountable for selling cars or bikes to any person who does not have the appropriate licence to operate that machine.

• Sad
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Things are tougher for those over 70,s I require:
1) Sign off by a cardiologist - $280.00
2) Sign off by a sleep therapist - $300.00
3) Sign off by local Dr for Stoke
4) sign off by occupational therapist - $1,000.00
5) Sign off by an ophthalmologist - $250.00
Each and every year.... ridiculous

Reactions: Rob44
I think you are on the political ban wagon with this reply AS tell me what 4cly motor car does not exceed or gets close to 160 ks mph And you are saying thats not a powererfull car

Anyone remember the Victorian guy that got "clocked" doing 158 kmh in 2003 in a 1975 Datsun 120Y? Independent testing by a race driver showed the car was not capable of more than 117 kmh!

The poor old Datsun had a whopping power-to-weight ratio of 46 kilowatts per tonne. My Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10 had over 15 times that figure. Luckily if the Datsun could go up a slight incline with only the driver! How would it be with five occupants! :ROFLMAO:
A Morris Minor. A Ford Popular. Oh, they are not made anymore...........The Datsun 120Y went uphill perfectly adquately; but I didn't know that Australia had any hills.......

Very interesting article although I am a little confused this new rule doesn’t apply to Motorcycles. The power to weight ratio on these extremely fast machines is a little concerning that they have been left out of the mix. Any changes to driving awareness and driver training is always a positive step for sure!!!
Absolutely right. For instance; a Ducati Multistrada V4 RS has 446.6 Kw per tonne.
Very interesting article although I am a little confused this new rule doesn’t apply to Motorcycles. The power to weight ratio on these extremely fast machines is a little concerning that they have been left out of the mix. Any changes to driving awareness and driver training is always a positive step for sure!!!

Absolutely right. For instance; a Ducati Multistrada V4 RS has 446.6 Kw per tonne.

Hi Veggie you sound like my late hubby he drove like a lunatic but he was a very good driver.One of our friends we dropped off at home was so scared she said she would never get in the car with him again .
"I only had it up to about 255 kmh on the Mitchell Highway between Trangie and Nyngan on a cloudless and windless day with hardly any cars or trucks in sight."

I believe that I have just read a confession to a SHOCKING crime!

My former Panther 650 single with sidecar would get to 60mph in 29.2 seconds; beat that! I think it had 446.6 tonnes to the kilowatt.

• Haha
It explains why I am still here and not splattered across some road or bonnet. I have had about seven motorcycle incidents from 1980 up to 2017 which ended with me being on my arse. One was from unsignposted roadworks in a residential street at night. Another was due to a sudden tyre deflation thanks to a countersunk screw. All the others resulted from dingbat drivers who had their eyes screwed onto their arse. All but one were foreigners. All IS revealed! :ROFLMAO:
My first m/cycle crash was caused by a foreigner. He was an Australian driving a Ford Transit van into a pub car park in Pomgolia. Bloody foreigners!:devilish:

• Haha
I have a pilots licence, there are many stages to get to be able to fly anything. A basic licence mean you can fly, carry passengers, but not charge them, but you can split the costs. There is also retractable undercarriage rating, variable pitch propeller rating, multiple engine rating, IFR (instrument flying, i.e nigh time and through clouds) and finally commercial. Each one requires training before you get upgraded.
At the moment you can get a drivers licence after learning an automatic, once you get that you can go out and buy and drive a manual, no training required. I feel there should be restrictions in place and the ability to train more and go up a level.
Isn't it amazing that the pioneers of aviation were allowed to fly..........

Yet another step for left wing extremist governments to take control of everything you do, everything you say and everything you think, governments in Australia are out of control and power hungry, the tragedy of the stupid driver should be dealt with by the courts and yet we see the stupidity of one impact on everyone, if the left wing judge's were what they should be then an example would have been made of the Lamborghini driver, enough is enough of control, I personally don't own a fast car but why impact those who have, if the courts took control of adolescents instead of saying naughty boys then that's where bad behaviour starts.
Australia has had a right wing government for the better part of 30 years....

"I only had it up to about 255 kmh on the Mitchell Highway between Trangie and Nyngan on a cloudless and windless day with hardly any cars or trucks in sight."

My former Panther 650 single with sidecar would get to 60mph in 29.2 seconds; beat that! I think it had 446.6 tonnes to the kilowatt.
I remember the old Panther singles, they had what they called a "sloper" motor. I think they had a 100 or 120 designation. 👍

I remember the old Panther singles, they had what they called a "sloper" motor. I think they had a 100 or 120 designation. 👍
M100, 600cc from about 1924-1926 but not sure when the M100 designation was made; M120, 650cc came out in 1959. In 1928 a 600c Panther was entered in the Isle of Man TT. It finished and no doubt that was good enough. The sloping engine formed part of the bike's frame as it replaced the front down-tube.

In reply to "Lizzylou". That rule still exists today. That's why I learned on a manual.

Hey "Veggi", sounds as though you were a bit of a "Thrill Seeker".

It reminds me when as a youngen, being a patient in Manly hospital ('59), there was a ward full of young guys up to abt 30 yrs or so who were all victims of motor cycle accidents. A lot of them in a "Bad" way to say the least. Arms & legs on full support systems. When I think abt it now, if any of those guys are still with us, they'd be well in their 90's plus to 100. How time flies.

I have been driving since I was 18, I am now 63, I learnt in an automatic and was told that I wasn't allowed to drive a manual as I hadn't been taught to drive in a manual. I wonder if that is true now some 30 odd years later, or that is still the case. Young people particularly don't follow those rules and will get what they want to get. I totally agree with more training and stricter rules should apply to those under I would say 25. There are too many young adults dying or causing accidents that affect other drivers.
I got my licence when I was 17, The only person was the local police, they were strict it took me 2 attempts to get my licence. I lived in a town about 60 miles (100klm) from Sydney. The test included Hill starts, Reverse parking up and down a hill, Speeds, Hand signals to stop, turn right, or left. distance to stop, and others in a manual car, as for the question you had to answer there were no multi choice answers if you got it wrong you failed,
I have also held a Taxi authority licence and that test is very strict to do.
I am now 77 driving a automatic car which makes driving easy to watch out for any emergency response you may come across.
Please take care everyone. Robert.

I didn't commit a crime. Otherwise I wouldn't have a licence.

Anyway, no cop car would have caught me!

Hey there, "Veggie",
They may well could have jotted down yr No. plate, & then they might've knocked on yr door in the wee hrs of the morn to disturb yr sleep pattern.

Things are tougher for those over 70,s I require:
1) Sign off by a cardiologist - $280.00
2) Sign off by a sleep therapist - $300.00
3) Sign off by local Dr for Stoke
4) sign off by occupational therapist - $1,000.00
5) Sign off by an ophthalmologist - $250.00
Each and every year.... ridiculous
Ridiculous is correct. My wife & l are both 72 & haven't had to go to those measures yet in W.A.

Reactions: IAN3005
Ridiculous is correct. My wife & l are both 72 & haven't had to go to those measures yet in W.A.
It is not worth keeping the driver's licence as this will be an annual charge....... can't afford it...

M100, 600cc from about 1924-1926 but not sure when the M100 designation was made; M120, 650cc came out in 1959. In 1928 a 600c Panther was entered in the Isle of Man TT. It finished and no doubt that was good enough. The sloping engine formed part of the bike's frame as it replaced the front down-tube.
Yes: Ducati also used the engine as a stressed member in some of their bikes. Problem was, what do you attach the sidestand to?? It had to be bolted to the motor, and if the sidestand was stressed it could crack the engine casing. I always thought it was a bad idea, as the weight saved was negligible. 😫😵‍💫

Reactions: Ezzy