Major Aussie retailer faces serious allegations from the ACCC

For many Australians, the convenience of online shopping has been a game-changer. It offers the allure of purchasing the perfect outfit, gift, or home goods from the comfort of our homes.

However, a legal challenge now casts a shadow over the reliability of these services.

A lawsuit against a major Aussie retailer for alleged delivery failures has come to light, raising serious questions about the integrity of online retail promises.

Mosaic Brands, the conglomerate behind household names such as Rivers, Noni B, and Katies, faces serious allegations from the Australian Consumer and Competition Commission (ACCC) for a litany of delivery failures.

According to the ACCC, Mosaic Brands violated the Australian Consumer Law 'by failing to deliver several hundred thousand products to customers within the delivery time frames advertised on its websites'.

SDC 1.png
Mosaic Brands is in hot water for alleged violation of the Australian Consumer Law. Image source: Mosaic Brands.

The ACCC reportedly received 'hundreds of complaints' about Mosaic Brands regarding orders taken between 23 September 2021 and 31 March 2022.

It wasn't just a handful of parcels missing their due dates; this was an issue concerning 'several hundred thousand products,' according to ACCC Commissioner Liza Carver.

Mosaic’s advertised delivery times promised Australians their purchases would arrive within a two to 17-day timeframe.

However, evidence suggested that over a quarter of these orders were dispatched 'at least 20 days, and in some cases more than 40 days, after the purchase date'.

The ACCC argued that these failures constitute 'false or misleading representations to consumers'.

Mosaic Brands was also accused of 'wrongly accepted payment for goods during the same period' after the company 'failed to deliver orders within the advertised time frames, or within a reasonable time frame, or not at all'.

To add to their case, between 23 September 2021 and at least 23 October 2022, Mosaic Brands allegedly misrepresented consumer rights on the terms and conditions pages across eight of its brand websites, suggesting refunds for faulty products expired six months post-purchase.

The Australian Consumer Law '[doesn’t] have a specific expiry date' on refunds for faulty goods, according to Commissioner Carver.

She also added that 'consumer issues in domestic supply chains is a current ACCC enforcement priority'.

Mosaic Brands, with approximately 804 stores nationwide, responded to the allegations, saying, '[We] believe the ACCC claim is flawed, and we will be vigorously defending it in court,' the company said.

'For the last two years, Mosaic Brands fulfilment rates have been over the Government-mandated 95 per cent benchmark for Australia Post.'
Key Takeaways
  • Mosaic Brands is facing legal action by the ACCC for failing to meet advertised delivery time frames for hundreds of thousands of products.
  • The ACCC alleged that Mosaic Brands breached Australian Consumer Law by making false or misleading representations to consumers about delivery times.
  • The ACCC also claimed Mosaic Brands misrepresented consumer guarantee rights regarding refunds for faulty products on their websites.
  • Mosaic Brands, which operates a number of well-known brands and has around 804 stores, believed that the ACCC claim is flawed and will be defending itself in court.
What are your thoughts on this issue? Have you ever experienced a delay in the delivery of your online orders before? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
I have no idea how anyone (especially woman) can order clothing online when there is no international sizing so all sizes are the same across all lines .
From personal experience at a walk in River's store : clothing material has become so thin it is of little to no use for grease rags even when new so it ends up as more landfill .
A basic blokes T-shirts can vary in sizes depending where it's made --- I tried on one shirt and 2x was ok but I also grabbed another 2x shirt from another rack and it was 2 sizes too small !
How the hell can anyone order online !

BUT WE ALL WANT IT FAST AND CHEAPER SO NOW WE HAVE IT SO CHEAP IT'S JUST MORE FAST LANDFILL

I was one of many that had to put up with their nonsense. I had 2 orders that I never received at all, and even though e ladies in the physical shops couldn’t get anywhere trying to sort it all out.
I totally gave up ordering anything online from them at all

I was one of many that had to put up with their nonsense. I had 2 orders that I never received at all, and even though e ladies in the physical shops couldn’t get anywhere trying to sort it all out.
I totally gave up ordering anything online from them at all
I’m still waiting for one of my orders from a couple of years ago, it was a sale item so didn’t lose much. I once ordered a skirt & top that wasn’t available locally, to be delivered to my son’s address in WA as we were spending time with him. The order was submitted about 6 weeks before we left Tassie so plenty of time before we arrived. We were in Perth for almost six weeks & my parcel turned up the day after we left. That was the last time I shopped with them.

I have no idea how anyone (especially woman) can order clothing online when there is no international sizing so all sizes are the same across all lines .
From personal experience at a walk in River's store : clothing material has become so thin it is of little to no use for grease rags even when new so it ends up as more landfill .
A basic blokes T-shirts can vary in sizes depending where it's made --- I tried on one shirt and 2x was ok but I also grabbed another 2x shirt from another rack and it was 2 sizes too small !

BUT WE ALL WANT IT FAST AND CHEAPER SO NOW WE HAVE IT SO CHEAP IT'S JUST MORE FAST LANDFILL
It’s easy Ian, especially if you shop with reputable retailers where sizes are fairly standard. I haven’t purchased clothing or shoes in store for several years & have never had a problem. I only ever buy from Australian stores.

Also shoes are a no no. I usually have 10/10.5 but now anything from 10 to 13 in the norm,

Reactions: Abby2
I stopped buying from them a couple of years ago as you don’t get your parcels, if you return items for a refund that doesn’t happen. Also got caught where an item was showing on special and when I checked out it changed full price. I was never able to get that overcharged refund. I very rarely buy from their stores anymore.

Not just them. We ordered an urgent product from Perth, paid extra for express/overnight delivery. 12 days later when we rang Star Track they said our parcel was waiting at the Perth depot for more parcels so they could send a crate load together. We never did get a refund. Agree with PattiB, about Temu. They dispatch quickly and you get a very detailed tracking report every step of the way. And then if you don’t give a top review they offer a refund!

Noni b and rockmans were my favourite brands and yes I had major issues during the dates mentioned where I either received items late or not at all .

I actually posted a warning up here maybe a year or so ago.

I have also left reviews for the which are still up there.

So they cop a huge fine , then who gets tge money. I bet it's not the customers who missed out on their items .