A cleaning expert reveals common blunders that could be ruining your home

As we age, we often become creatures of habit, especially when it comes to maintaining our homes. But what if I told you that some of the cleaning routines we've held onto for years might be doing more harm than good?

It's a startling thought but one that cleaning expert Kacie Stephens has brought to light in a now-viral video that's got everyone talking.

Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we understand the importance of keeping a clean and tidy home, not just for appearances but for our health and well-being, too.

However, Stephens' insights suggest that some common cleaning practices could be inadvertently ruining our homes. Let's dive into these blunders and learn how to clean smarter, not harder!

1715193848056.png
Kacie Stephens, a professional cleaner, has shared the five common mistakes people make when cleaning. Image source: TikTok.

The first blunder Stephens points out is the overuse of mop water. It's a mistake that's easy to make; after all, more water might seem like it would clean better, correct? Wrong.

Excessive mop water can damage flooring, leaving unsightly spots on tiles and potentially warping wooden floors. The solution is simple: wring out that mop thoroughly. A damp mop is more than sufficient to clean effectively without the risk of water damage.

Moving on to the second mistake, using too much cleaning product can leave floors feeling sticky and attract more dirt in the long run. It's a classic case of less is more. By using the recommended amount of product, you'll not only save money but also avoid creating a residue that can be tough to remove.

Now, here's a tip that might raise a few eyebrows: Stephens advises against using Windex on windows. While it's been a go-to product for many, it seems that it can leave smudges and streaks that are all too visible in the sunlight.

Instead, she suggests soaping up the windows and using a squeegee for a streak-free finish. This method might take a bit of practice, but the results will speak for themselves.

Vacuum cleaner maintenance is another area where many of us might be falling short.

A dirty vacuum with clogged filters and full bags can lead to weak suction, meaning not all the dust and dirt is being picked up. This can lower the air quality in your home, which is particularly concerning for those with asthma or allergies. Regularly cleaning your vacuum and replacing bags or filters as needed will ensure it's working efficiently.

Lastly, Stephens highlights the importance of maintaining your vacuum head. A neglected vacuum head can scratch wooden floorboards, leaving permanent damage. Regular checks for trapped debris and ensuring the brushes aren't worn down can protect your floors from unnecessary scratches.

Stephens' video has clearly struck a chord, garnering over 66,000 views and a slew of grateful comments from viewers who appreciate her professional advice. It's a reminder that sometimes, we need to update our cleaning methods to keep our homes in top condition.

Key Takeaways
  • Aussie cleaning expert Kacie Stephens has shared a viral video highlighting five common cleaning mistakes that could damage your home.
  • Overusing mop water can ruin flooring and leave spots on tiles, whilst too much cleaning product can make floors sticky.
  • Stephens advises against using Windex on windows due to its tendency to leave smudges and streaks, suggesting a soapy clean instead.
  • Proper vacuum maintenance, including cleaning the vacuum itself and the vacuum head, is essential to prevent weak suction, dust return, and potential scratches on wooden floorboards.

So, dear members, it's time to re-evaluate your cleaning habits. Are you guilty of any of these blunders? Have we been unknowingly causing harm to our beloved homes?

Share your thoughts and any cleaning tips you swear by in the comments below. Remember, a clean home is a happy home, but only if we're cleaning it the right way!

Sponsored
I use both spray on Windex and a squeegee to get a streak-free finish. Does a great job on my glass shower doors.

I thought this was all plain common sense.
I use special wood cleaner on my floorboards and a well rung mop.

It's hot water and bleach on my tiles and no problems using windex and paper towel on the mirrors and glass door

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Windows - spray with plain water, spray with 50/50 methylated spirits/cloudy ammonia and squeegee off with a GOOD quality straight edge commercial grade squeegee.

If you have stubborn marks, use a stainless steel scourer. Don't worry - if it leaves scratch marks, your windows aren't made of glass!

Reactions: Abby2
i=I Have owned & opperated my own domestic cleaning business for over 30 years(now retired with SADIE SYNDROME LOL) i havenever used a regular mop as they end up full of dirty water. I have always used a microfibre pad ,useing only water (damp) to clean floors with, never had any complaints from customers, also leaves no sticky residue.

Reactions: Abby2