Delivery worker banned after taking an unconventional approach to their job

In a world where convenience is king, and the gig economy reigns, we've seen our fair share of quirky delivery methods. But one Uber Eats delivery worker's choice of transportation has truly taken Sydney by storm, and it's not your typical bike or scooter.

Stanley Chen, an Uber Eats worker with a flair for the dramatic, decided to swap out the conventional for the equestrian, delivering food orders on horseback down the bustling Oxford Street in Sydney's inner east.

Adorned in his Uber Eats jacket and delivery backpack, Chen became an instant sensation as a passing pedestrian captured his unique delivery method on video.

The clip, which has since galloped to viral fame with millions of views, shows onlookers stopping in their tracks, phones out, capturing the moment and chuckling at the sight of this modern-day urban cowboy.

1715197517235.png
Stanley Chen confessed that the viral video had seen him temporarily removed from the food delivery platform. Image source: TikTok.

However, not everyone was amused. Following the stunt, Chen revealed that he had been banned from the Uber Eats platform. In a video he shared, he expressed his disbelief, showing the message from Uber Eats that cited 'concerning feedback' from a customer about his animal-based delivery method.

The company temporarily blocked Chen's account while they reviewed the situation, leaving him and his horse, Laylani, whom he affectionately calls 'a Queen', out of the delivery game.

Chen, known for his YouTube videos featuring various subversive stunts, didn't take this lying down. He humorously clapped back at the decision, urging his followers to message Uber Eats and appeal for his reinstatement.

'If you want to see me and Laylani do more Uber delivery orders, go message [Uber] and tell them to unban me,' he rallied his audience.

Uber Eats, on their part, stated that they were investigating the incident, emphasising that safety is a top priority on their platform. 'There’s no horsing around when it comes to safety on our platform,' an Uber spokesperson quipped, pun fully intended.

In a turn of events as unexpected as the delivery method itself, the suspension of Chen's account was lifted. It seems that the company may have seen the lighter side of the situation, or perhaps they were swayed by the public's affection for Chen and Laylani's delivery service.

This story raises interesting questions about the boundaries of gig economy work and the lengths to which workers go to stand out in a crowded marketplace. It also highlights the ongoing debate about the safety and regulations of food delivery services, which have become increasingly popular, especially among seniors who appreciate the convenience but also expect a certain standard of service.

Key Takeaways
  • An Uber Eats delivery worker was banned after delivering food on horseback in Sydney's inner east.
  • The worker, Stanley Chen, went viral after he was seen adorned with Uber Eats gear on a horse on Oxford Street.
  • Chen referred to his horse as 'a Queen' in a humorous response to Uber's decision to temporarily block his account.
  • Uber has emphasised safety on the platform, but Chen's suspension has since been lifted after the incident was investigated.
Members, we'd love to hear your thoughts on this unusual delivery method. Would you be delighted or dismayed to have your dinner delivered by a dashing horse and rider? And what's the most unconventional delivery experience you've ever had?

Let's trot over to the comments section and share our stories. And remember, while we all appreciate a good spectacle, safety and quality service should always be the main course.

Sponsored
I hope his beloved horse has the special shoe's that protected her feet and legs while walking on hard road surfaces. And I also hope that his horse is not easily alarmed by city traffic (cars & humans).
Query - does he carry a poo bag incase horsy need to go potty ??????? or does he expect the local council to clean it up ??????

But she is a beauty and if I every decided to use something like "Uber Eats" I make sure I had an appropriate treat for her (and fresh water bucket at my gate)

I hope his beloved horse has the special shoe's that protected her feet and legs while walking on hard road surfaces. And I also hope that his horse is not easily alarmed by city traffic (cars & humans).
Query - does he carry a poo bag incase horsy need to go potty ??????? or does he expect the local council to clean it up ??????

But she is a beauty and if I every decided to use something like "Uber Eats" I make sure I had an appropriate treat for her (and fresh water bucket at my gate)
I couldn't agree more. Horsey can come to my house any time. I remember when the milkman delivered using a horse drawn cart and we'd collect the poo for the garden. Now we pay heaps for it at Bunnings.

Australia was known for its idiosyncratic humour, that has all but disappeared. Having just arrived back from the U.K., I feel Australia is becoming very rule oriented, bordering on communistic ways. Don’t do this, don’t do that, speak this way, don’t speak like that, you’re racist, I’m just saying it as it is. If his lovely horse is causing no harm, surely what is wrong with a bit of poo. Go and scoop it up for your garden.

Australia was known for its idiosyncratic humour, that has all but disappeared. Having just arrived back from the U.K., I feel Australia is becoming very rule oriented, bordering on communistic ways. Don’t do this, don’t do that, speak this way, don’t speak like that, you’re racist, I’m just saying it as it is. If his lovely horse is causing no harm, surely what is wrong with a bit of poo. Go and scoop it up for your garden.
Yes I'm afraid instead of being a fine country, Australia is fast becoming a very FINE country.

you are so right. the labour government are ruling and dictating to everything that is personal to a person.

Reactions: Angela Cockburn
you are so right. the labour government are ruling and dictating to everything that is personal to person.
Jest it isn't only Labour...have you seen the garbage out of the mouth of Leg-o-Mutton Dutton on the Today Show this morning. By the way, anyone see the news last night with Morrison and his best friend TRUMP? He's trying to help Trump get back into Government. Heaven save us from idiots.

Jest it isn't only Labour...have you seen the garbage out of the mouth of Leg-o-Mutton Dutton on the Today Show this morning. By the way, anyone see the news last night with Morrison and his best friend TRUMP? He's trying to help Trump get back into Government. Heaven save us from idiots.
For once I agree with you !!!!!!!