Major ALDI Checkouts Change - Can You Spot It? And Why It Has Shoppers Divided?

These days, it's impossible to escape the fact that we live in a changed world. The pandemic has created a whole new normal in most of our lives, including how we shop at grocery stores.

We have all become familiar with new safety regulations involving perspex shields around the checkout registers, as well as nearby hand sanitiser stations and social distancing floor markers.

It's so dramatic a shift; it almost feels like we've all been transported to a dystopian movie set!

Well, now it looks like those protective shields for checkout attendants in ALDI supermarkets around the country are about to disappear – at least for the most part.

158230580-sydney-australia-2020-04-13-aldi-supermarkets-chain-installed-screenson-the-cashier-...jpg
ALDI checkouts no longer have the protective screens that were installed during the peak of the COVID-19 outbreak. Credit: Shutterstock.

Customers all around Australia have been discussing the changes on social media, revealing that ALDI has removed the protective barrier screens in many of their locations in response to dropping COVID-19 cases.

'Just visited my local ALDI in Camberwell, and it took me a few seconds to work out what was different - the screens around the cashiers have been removed!' one shopper wrote in a post on Facebook.

'The place looks much lighter and user-friendly again.'

The unexpected move has sparked a variety of reactions on social media.

Some shoppers have expressed dissatisfaction with the decision, especially given the ongoing concern about the coronavirus.

One user wrote: ‘Yet COVID is still rife.’

‘Let’s hope the staff stay well,’ another said.

A third shared: ‘Geelong [Victoria] stores had theirs removed last week, I think. It’s different, but let’s hope everyone stays safe regardless.’

‘Our local’s gone too. One cashier said she hates no longer having them,’ another chimed in.

However, some people embraced the change, citing that the availability of open checkouts and the opportunity to converse more openly with checkout personnel created a more welcoming atmosphere.

‘So much more friendly,’ said one.

Another comment read: ‘When they went up, it became too difficult to chat to the checkout people.’

‘I rather miss the silly banner - even just saying thank you became awkward,’ a third wrote.

One more added: ‘Ours went a couple of weeks ago. They were a pain.’

Interestingly, even former ALDI staff supported the screens' removal, saying that the plastic screens themselves were a source of danger, with bottles often hitting them during checkout.

‘As someone who was an ALDI staff member at the height of the pandemic, we all despised those things,’ an employee claimed.

‘You couldn’t hear anything people said, and the number of smashed liquor bottles that resulted in them smacking into the screens.’

‘They were pretty much useless anyway because we were touching everything the customers touched, and they were then touching it again after we did.’

An ALDI representative confirmed that the retailer decided to get rid of the plastic dividers after consulting with its staff.

The spokesperson remarked: ‘Last year, we commenced consultation with all our employees to gather their input regarding the removal of sneeze guards.’

‘Following this period of consultation and consideration of feedback provided, we have made the decision to remove sneeze guards from all our stores.’

Key Takeaways
  • ALDI has removed protective screens from many of its stores across Australia.
  • The news has been met with mixed reactions from shoppers, some of whom are worried that staff may remain at risk of contracting COVID-19.
  • Others welcomed the move, saying the open checkouts were more inviting.
  • A former ALDI worker also shared their relief over the decision to remove the shields.

The shields may have been removed. However, customers are still encouraged to remain vigilant and stay home if they are feeling unwell or have any symptoms.

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you support ALDI’s decision? Or do you believe the removal of the barrier is inappropriate? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
So far I didn't get Covid 🙏 and I don't want it. I don't think I will survive it, due to all my health problems, like Asthma, etc. I got my 5th Vaxx/booster just last week. I still wear my mask in busy shopping centers. I live in VIC 👾

These days, it's impossible to escape the fact that we live in a changed world. The pandemic has created a whole new normal in most of our lives, including how we shop at grocery stores.

We have all become familiar with new safety regulations involving perspex shields around the checkout registers, as well as nearby hand sanitiser stations and social distancing floor markers.

It's so dramatic a shift; it almost feels like we've all been transported to a dystopian movie set!

Well, now it looks like those protective shields for checkout attendants in ALDI supermarkets around the country are about to disappear – at least for the most part.

View attachment 15653
ALDI checkouts no longer have the protective screens that were installed during the peak of the COVID-19 outbreak. Credit: Shutterstock.

Customers all around Australia have been discussing the changes on social media, revealing that ALDI has removed the protective barrier screens in many of their locations in response to dropping COVID-19 cases.

'Just visited my local ALDI in Camberwell, and it took me a few seconds to work out what was different - the screens around the cashiers have been removed!' one shopper wrote in a post on Facebook.

Some shoppers have expressed dissatisfaction with the decision, especially given the ongoing concern about the coronavirus.

A third shared: ‘Geelong [Victoria] stores had theirs removed last week, I think. It’s different, but let’s hope everyone stays safe regardless.’

‘Our local’s gone too. One cashier said she hates no longer having them,’ another chimed in.

However, some people embraced the change, citing that the availability of open checkouts and the opportunity to converse more openly with checkout personnel created a more welcoming atmosphere.

Another comment read: ‘When they went up, it became too difficult to chat to the checkout people.’

‘I rather miss the silly banner - even just saying thank you became awkward,’ a third wrote.

Interestingly, even former ALDI staff supported the screens' removal, saying that the plastic screens themselves were a source of danger, with bottles often hitting them during checkout.

‘As someone who was an ALDI staff member at the height of the pandemic, we all despised those things,’ an employee claimed.

‘You couldn’t hear anything people said, and the number of smashed liquor bottles that resulted in them smacking into the screens.’

‘They were pretty much useless anyway because we were touching everything the customers touched, and they were then touching it again after we did.’

An ALDI representative confirmed that the retailer decided to get rid of the plastic dividers after consulting with its staff.

The spokesperson remarked: ‘Last year, we commenced consultation with all our employees to gather their input regarding the removal of sneeze guards.’

‘Following this period of consultation and consideration of feedback provided, we have made the decision to remove sneeze guards from all our stores.’

Key Takeaways

• The news has been met with mixed reactions from shoppers, some of whom are worried that staff may remain at risk of contracting COVID-19.
  • A former ALDI worker also shared their relief over the decision to remove the shields.

The shields may have been removed. However, customers are still encouraged to remain vigilant and stay home if they are feeling unwell or have any symptoms.

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you support ALDI’s decision? Or do you believe the removal of the barrier is inappropriate? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
Those barriers no matter where were a total load of bullshit any way.... they were not needed and they worked just like the face nappies and still today you see terrified people still wearing them... having been brainwashed into believing all the lies told to them by the lying government and MSMedia

The Omicron strain is extremely infectious. It is not the flu. The majority of folks getting really sick and dying are 20-40 yo. Over the horizon is another wave as winter sets in. On top of that you have the flu epidemic, colds and long Covid.

I am recovering from Covid contracted on a cruise ship. The ship where Americans refused to get tested , wear masks or not gather, talking loudly. Why because it was against there civil rights! Perhaps we should be buying Chinese submarines?

Shop at Aldi at your peril.

View attachment 15653

Key Takeaways

Finally, commonsense !

View attachment 15653

Key Takeaways

These screens are also a deterrent for the prevention of aggression by customers, and we know that there are many instances of customers assaulting unsuspecting staff just doing their jobs. I have no problems with the screens being retained for ever by every retailer, including banks, using them long term.

As to the CoVid issue - yes, we touch the goods, the checkout operator touches them and we touch them once more putting them in our trolleys. We do that in every shop - staff stock the shelves and we touch those goods not knowing the cleanliness of the staff; so, if you are concerned about this issue of ‘touching’ then follow hand sanitising protocol long term. Stay safe to protect yourself in whatever way you can, you cannot blame anyone else if you get CoVid because it finds you, you do not go looking for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Liz, Ricci and Jest
The Omicron strain is extremely infectious. It is not the flu. The majority of folks getting really sick and dying are 20-40 yo. Over the horizon is another wave as winter sets in. On top of that you have the flu epidemic, colds and long Covid.

I am recovering from Covid contracted on a cruise ship. The ship where Americans refused to get tested , wear masks or not gather, talking loudly. Why because it was against there civil rights! Perhaps we should be buying Chinese submarines?

Shop at Aldi at your peril.
Shop anywhere - as you say - at your peril. CoVid attacks anywhere and everywhere, vaccinated, unvaccinated, cruise ships or in the supermarket so it’s up to each of us to take precautions as best we can. It finds us, we don’t go deliberately looking for it.

View attachment 15653

Key Takeaways

Well Aldi's HR department has let staff and the company down.

View attachment 15653

Key Takeaways

Aldi, has gone against national health advice to not protect their employees. Simply, advice is to wear masks when not able to keep physical distance. Clearly a breach when viewing Occupation Health & Safety legislation. " an employer must protect their employees from injury and/or disease". Potential litigation ahead.

Reactions: Liz and Ricci
I am always stunned that people believe those screens protected against COVID, when the checkout workers touched fruit, vegetables and all the other purchases. Cracks me up! I remain uncovidvaxxed, I will never have that poison injected into me and I also have several health problems. I ignored COVID and it ignored me. According to government/health propaganda, I should most definitely be dead and buried by now. COVID is not the Black Death, the Spanish Flu, or the deadliest disease in History, folks, it is a nasty version of the flu. People just don't want to believe otherwise.

When those sneeze barriers went up in supermarkets, chemist etc. I thought it was a good thing for flu as well etc. Sizzler restaurants always had them.
Airborne viruses don't only spread by touch, but coughing & sneezing as well. Gastro is different.
It's not rocket science for not touching faces & washing hands properly. Lots of people don't adhere to health & safety practices imo.
Need to advise the dead from Covid that it's propaganda, not the living.

I havnt had it either, I’ve had the forced two shots and regret them, I live my life like before 2020, I figure if or when I get it it’s my turn. We can’t live our lives in fright. To each his own .
Why do you regret getting vaccinated? Did you have reactions to them or are you an anti vaxxer? Just wondering.

Reactions: Ricci
having had 5 jabs, getting covid, being in ccu for 8 days with pneumonia and being very sick. now with long covid I have no objections to any safety measures. Just a pity that we still have very stupid people with the attitude of all for one and not worry about the neighbour. If I had not had my jabs I would not be putting this on. OH! well can not help stupidity.

View attachment 15653

Key Takeaways

I noticed it immediately I got to the checkout and commented to the cashier that it was much better as there was more room to put your shopping bag and pack it other than trying to juggle it on the edge of the counter. The lady ahead of me (still packing) looked up and said "oh, I thought something was different" lol. The cashier said she agreed with me and it was more open. As to those worried about covid...just wear your mask if you are concerned.

Reactions: Liz and Ricci
I am fully vaccinated and proud of it. Those sneeze screens are actually a bit of a joke and congratulations to Aldi for making the workspace and customer experience much better. There is absolutely no chance of catching Covid through contact with Aldi Cashiers, have you seen the speed at which they work? No self-respecting virus would even waste its time going into an Aldi store even if it was a last-minute urgent purchase it needed! Aldi Cashiers process customers at the speed of light, and NASA is investigating their ability to operate at this speed for their future travels to outer space locations.

I am always stunned that people believe those screens protected against COVID, when the checkout workers touched fruit, vegetables and all the other purchases. Cracks me up! I remain uncovidvaxxed, I will never have that poison injected into me and I also have several health problems. I ignored COVID and it ignored me. According to government/health propaganda, I should most definitely be dead and buried by now. COVID is not the Black Death, the Spanish Flu, or the deadliest disease in History, folks, it is a nasty version of the flu. People just don't want to believe otherwise.
Tell that to the millions worldwide that have died. I had covid last year but had 4 shots so it was like a mild flu, which being a smoker i think would have been much worse without the shots. Getting my 5th just before winter with my annual flu shot, it all really helps for me.

So far I didn't get Covid 🙏 and I don't want it. I don't think I will survive it, due to all my health problems, like Asthma, etc. I got my 5th Vaxx/booster just last week. I still wear my mask in busy shopping centers. I live in VIC 👾
Ditto also with a lung disease held at bay with daily Doxycycline, but discovered after many days of trying to locate where I could get shot #5 that 'covered' Omiron strains was so difficult, despite the Government asking all over 18 especially the aged to get is ASAP before this flu ( yet to be delivered to our area)season. My Covid #4 was Jan 2 2022 and could not get another until now, ( aged, living independently) searching found a single spot at a local Medical Centre late afternoon yesterday and was so relieved. I will still be wearing masks when in closed populated areas. Many enjoyed social life activities as I knew, now sadly curbed, can be so isolating. One adapts and hopes. Immune-compromised people do have to be prepared as best as available by not being neurotic, but aware.

Reactions: Liz
Just returned from Aldi. Sneeze barriers have gone. The staff member told me he was pleased, as he was too hot behind it. In air-con??

I still wear my mask in shopping centres, cannot have my 5th shot until May because I caught Covid in November. If I had not had those shots and the anit-virals, I hate to think where I would be with my lung problems. Each to his own but I would rather protect the people around me, including the anti-vaxxers, because living with lung conditions each day is not fun, including all the meds I take including doxcycline. We will see in time whether those sneeze shields did make a difference to the staff?

Reactions: Penny4
Those barriers no matter where were a total load of bullshit any way.... they were not needed and they worked just like the face nappies and still today you see terrified people still wearing them... having been brainwashed into believing all the lies told to them by the lying government and MSMedia
Exactly!