Major ALDI Checkouts Change - Can You Spot It? And Why It Has Shoppers Divided?

These days, it's impossible to escape the fact that we live in a changed world. The pandemic has created a whole new normal in most of our lives, including how we shop at grocery stores.

We have all become familiar with new safety regulations involving perspex shields around the checkout registers, as well as nearby hand sanitiser stations and social distancing floor markers.

It's so dramatic a shift; it almost feels like we've all been transported to a dystopian movie set!

Well, now it looks like those protective shields for checkout attendants in ALDI supermarkets around the country are about to disappear – at least for the most part.

158230580-sydney-australia-2020-04-13-aldi-supermarkets-chain-installed-screenson-the-cashier-...jpg
ALDI checkouts no longer have the protective screens that were installed during the peak of the COVID-19 outbreak. Credit: Shutterstock.

Customers all around Australia have been discussing the changes on social media, revealing that ALDI has removed the protective barrier screens in many of their locations in response to dropping COVID-19 cases.

'Just visited my local ALDI in Camberwell, and it took me a few seconds to work out what was different - the screens around the cashiers have been removed!' one shopper wrote in a post on Facebook.

'The place looks much lighter and user-friendly again.'

The unexpected move has sparked a variety of reactions on social media.

Some shoppers have expressed dissatisfaction with the decision, especially given the ongoing concern about the coronavirus.

One user wrote: ‘Yet COVID is still rife.’

‘Let’s hope the staff stay well,’ another said.

A third shared: ‘Geelong [Victoria] stores had theirs removed last week, I think. It’s different, but let’s hope everyone stays safe regardless.’

‘Our local’s gone too. One cashier said she hates no longer having them,’ another chimed in.

However, some people embraced the change, citing that the availability of open checkouts and the opportunity to converse more openly with checkout personnel created a more welcoming atmosphere.

‘So much more friendly,’ said one.

Another comment read: ‘When they went up, it became too difficult to chat to the checkout people.’

‘I rather miss the silly banner - even just saying thank you became awkward,’ a third wrote.

One more added: ‘Ours went a couple of weeks ago. They were a pain.’

Interestingly, even former ALDI staff supported the screens' removal, saying that the plastic screens themselves were a source of danger, with bottles often hitting them during checkout.

‘As someone who was an ALDI staff member at the height of the pandemic, we all despised those things,’ an employee claimed.

‘You couldn’t hear anything people said, and the number of smashed liquor bottles that resulted in them smacking into the screens.’

‘They were pretty much useless anyway because we were touching everything the customers touched, and they were then touching it again after we did.’

An ALDI representative confirmed that the retailer decided to get rid of the plastic dividers after consulting with its staff.

The spokesperson remarked: ‘Last year, we commenced consultation with all our employees to gather their input regarding the removal of sneeze guards.’

‘Following this period of consultation and consideration of feedback provided, we have made the decision to remove sneeze guards from all our stores.’

Key Takeaways
  • ALDI has removed protective screens from many of its stores across Australia.
  • The news has been met with mixed reactions from shoppers, some of whom are worried that staff may remain at risk of contracting COVID-19.
  • Others welcomed the move, saying the open checkouts were more inviting.
  • A former ALDI worker also shared their relief over the decision to remove the shields.

The shields may have been removed. However, customers are still encouraged to remain vigilant and stay home if they are feeling unwell or have any symptoms.

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you support ALDI’s decision? Or do you believe the removal of the barrier is inappropriate? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Noticed this in my local Aldi. About time Woolworths did it now. Can't keep running scared for more years. :rolleyes:

Noticed this in my local Aldi. About time Woolworths did it now. Can't keep running scared for more years. :rolleyes:
Yes, zero sneeze barriers just in time for winter's flu & colds circulating.
Every year we get some type of virus, so no difference.

It's probably about saving $ with those sneeze barriers. Less $ for sanitizing & using products for cleaning the barriers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Liz
These days, it's impossible to escape the fact that we live in a changed world. The pandemic has created a whole new normal in most of our lives, including how we shop at grocery stores.

We have all become familiar with new safety regulations involving perspex shields around the checkout registers, as well as nearby hand sanitiser stations and social distancing floor markers.

It's so dramatic a shift; it almost feels like we've all been transported to a dystopian movie set!

Well, now it looks like those protective shields for checkout attendants in ALDI supermarkets around the country are about to disappear – at least for the most part.

View attachment 15653
ALDI checkouts no longer have the protective screens that were installed during the peak of the COVID-19 outbreak. Credit: Shutterstock.

Customers all around Australia have been discussing the changes on social media, revealing that ALDI has removed the protective barrier screens in many of their locations in response to dropping COVID-19 cases.

'Just visited my local ALDI in Camberwell, and it took me a few seconds to work out what was different - the screens around the cashiers have been removed!' one shopper wrote in a post on Facebook.

'The place looks much lighter and user-friendly again.'

The unexpected move has sparked a variety of reactions on social media.

Some shoppers have expressed dissatisfaction with the decision, especially given the ongoing concern about the coronavirus.

One user wrote: ‘Yet COVID is still rife.’

‘Let’s hope the staff stay well,’ another said.

A third shared: ‘Geelong [Victoria] stores had theirs removed last week, I think. It’s different, but let’s hope everyone stays safe regardless.’

‘Our local’s gone too. One cashier said she hates no longer having them,’ another chimed in.

However, some people embraced the change, citing that the availability of open checkouts and the opportunity to converse more openly with checkout personnel created a more welcoming atmosphere.

‘So much more friendly,’ said one.

Another comment read: ‘When they went up, it became too difficult to chat to the checkout people.’

‘I rather miss the silly banner - even just saying thank you became awkward,’ a third wrote.

One more added: ‘Ours went a couple of weeks ago. They were a pain.’

Interestingly, even former ALDI staff supported the screens' removal, saying that the plastic screens themselves were a source of danger, with bottles often hitting them during checkout.

‘As someone who was an ALDI staff member at the height of the pandemic, we all despised those things,’ an employee claimed.

‘You couldn’t hear anything people said, and the number of smashed liquor bottles that resulted in them smacking into the screens.’

‘They were pretty much useless anyway because we were touching everything the customers touched, and they were then touching it again after we did.’

An ALDI representative confirmed that the retailer decided to get rid of the plastic dividers after consulting with its staff.

The spokesperson remarked: ‘Last year, we commenced consultation with all our employees to gather their input regarding the removal of sneeze guards.’

‘Following this period of consultation and consideration of feedback provided, we have made the decision to remove sneeze guards from all our stores.’

Key Takeaways

• ALDI has removed protective screens from many of its stores across Australia.
  • The news has been met with mixed reactions from shoppers, some of whom are worried that staff may remain at risk of contracting COVID-19.
  • Others welcomed the move, saying the open checkouts were more inviting.
  • A former ALDI worker also shared their relief over the decision to remove the shields.

The shields may have been removed. However, customers are still encouraged to remain vigilant and stay home if they are feeling unwell or have any symptoms.

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you support ALDI’s decision? Or do you believe the removal of the barrier is inappropriate? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
I am always stunned that people believe those screens protected against COVID, when the checkout workers touched fruit, vegetables and all the other purchases. Cracks me up! I remain uncovidvaxxed, I will never have that poison injected into me and I also have several health problems. I ignored COVID and it ignored me. According to government/health propaganda, I should most definitely be dead and buried by now. COVID is not the Black Death, the Spanish Flu, or the deadliest disease in History, folks, it is a nasty version of the flu. People just don't want to believe otherwise.
It may, in your opinion, be a ‘nasty version of the flu’ but how and where did you get the idea that the vaccine is ‘poison’? Do you have some sort of medical background or a are you a scientist in medicine research? I’m astounded that, if you’re not in any of those fields, you can put your opinion out here for others to believe. You’ve just been fortunate not to contract CoVid and I hope you don’t get a severe case of it at any time in the future. God bless you and keep you safe from it!

Reactions: Mr Chips
Yes, zero sneeze barriers just in time for winter's flu & colds circulating.
Every year we get some type of virus, so no difference.
They've only had them up for about 2 years anyway.

What happened in all the previous years when they never had them at all? Nobody had the flu or colds?🤔

They've only had them up for about 2 years anyway.

What happened in all the previous years when they never had them at all? Nobody had the flu or colds?🤔
I must admit that most of the barriers are placed purely for staff, whereas the barriers installed at the self serve checkouts at Coles & Woolies are for the customers, due to being all squished up next to each other. Some stores worse than others.
It appears we all need to disregard Covid, flu & colds anyway. It's now acceptable for staff at businesses to work while sick, just like it used to be.

It may, in your opinion, be a ‘nasty version of the flu’ but how and where did you get the idea that the vaccine is ‘poison’? Do you have some sort of medical background or a are you a scientist in medicine research? I’m astounded that, if you’re not in any of those fields, you can put your opinion out here for others to believe. You’ve just been fortunate not to contract CoVid and I hope you don’t get a severe case of it at any time in the future. God bless you and keep you safe from it!
Nope, not a scientist or in the medical field. I can, however, read and research. All the "died suddenly cases", the incredible increase in myocarditis, the number of athletes/sports people suddenly having heart attacks on the field, the increase in mortality since the introduction of the COVID vax is overwhelming evidence of the vax being poison. Do some research! 16 countries are working together to set up a blood bank for unvaccinated blood, in some places in America the COVID vaxxed cannot donate blood, numbers from insurance companies detailing the mortality rate increase have skyrocketed since the introduction of the COVID vaccine. Now, I get it if you don't believe all of the above, and I am pretty certain that info will start disappearing from the net sooner rather than later, but in years to come, people will start getting compensated from COVID vaccine health damage. The number of doctors and nurses who refuse to get the vaccine is pretty large, doctors and nurses who risk their jobs by speaking out against getting the vaccine is bigger than you realise. Do some research and you will be shocked. Like I said, I get it if you think that all of what I have written is nonsense, that's fine, you have a right to think as you do.

Nope, not a scientist or in the medical field. I can, however, read and research. All the "died suddenly cases", the incredible increase in myocarditis, the number of athletes/sports people suddenly having heart attacks on the field, the increase in mortality since the introduction of the COVID vax is overwhelming evidence of the vax being poison. Do some research! 16 countries are working together to set up a blood bank for unvaccinated blood, in some places in America the COVID vaxxed cannot donate blood, numbers from insurance companies detailing the mortality rate increase have skyrocketed since the introduction of the COVID vaccine. Now, I get it if you don't believe all of the above, and I am pretty certain that info will start disappearing from the net sooner rather than later, but in years to come, people will start getting compensated from COVID vaccine health damage. The number of doctors and nurses who refuse to get the vaccine is pretty large, doctors and nurses who risk their jobs by speaking out against getting the vaccine is bigger than you realise. Do some research and you will be shocked. Like I said, I get it if you think that all of what I have written is nonsense, that's fine, you have a right to think as you do.
I very much respect your research but if I may I would like to comment as follows:- You say that an increase in deaths was noticed after vaccinations were administered. In a situation such as Covid, surely that was to be expected. Just because you were vaccinated you were not totally immune and the elderly and even younger people with health issues would have been attacked by the Covid issue itself. It is not the vaccines that are at fault so if you are researching as you say, please please please get your interpretation of the information correct. I am 71 years old and fully vaccinated. I am lucky that I have had no side effects from the vaccinations and no Covid virus.

I very much respect your research but if I may I would like to comment as follows:- You say that an increase in deaths was noticed after vaccinations were administered. In a situation such as Covid, surely that was to be expected. Just because you were vaccinated you were not totally immune and the elderly and even younger people with health issues would have been attacked by the Covid issue itself. It is not the vaccines that are at fault so if you are researching as you say, please please please get your interpretation of the information correct. I am 71 years old and fully vaccinated. I am lucky that I have had no side effects from the vaccinations and no Covid virus.
Not if you change the definition of vaccination. People from my era were vaccinated against Polio...they didn't have to have a half dozen vaccinations to be covered and they didn't get Polio either. Same applies to Diptheria and the other diseases. Vaccinate once against Smallpox, one didn't need more than one dose and one didn't get Smallpox. I am happy that you have had no side effects, that's great news. Those who have been dying in droves for that last 2 years, are not dying of Covid. They have all been at least double vaxxed. Sorry, but with the information coming out now, with governments and some doctors and health officials trying to backtrack to save their arses, the news is not good. My son and I are not COVID vaxxed, but my daughter and my son-in-law had to be vaxxed to keep their jobs and my four granddaughters are also vaxxed. I continually worry about them and dread the day they suffer from side effects. If the vaccinations are harmless, why are 16 countries setting up a blood bank of only unvaxxed blood? Why have people in America who have been COVID vaxxed been told by the Red Cross that they cannot donate blood? Why have so many doctors and nurses (and more than the MSM reports) refused to be vaccinated?

For all those who have been COVID vaxxed and suffered no ill effects and are going strong, I am happy for them, and I pray they remain safe. One must do what one feels is right for them. Want the COVID vaccinations, fine, people should have ready access to them. Don't want the vaccination and boosters, that is a person's right and people should not have been medically discriminated against as we were for two years. Coercion for medical treatment is against the Nuremberg Laws, even if governments are denying those laws apply. The most deadly results for the vaccinated will occur over the next decade or so.

You have a right to believe as you wish, as do others here, and so do I. I really hope you remain safe and well.

Not if you change the definition of vaccination. People from my era were vaccinated against Polio...they didn't have to have a half dozen vaccinations to be covered and they didn't get Polio either. Same applies to Diptheria and the other diseases. Vaccinate once against Smallpox, one didn't need more than one dose and one didn't get Smallpox. I am happy that you have had no side effects, that's great news. Those who have been dying in droves for that last 2 years, are not dying of Covid. They have all been at least double vaxxed. Sorry, but with the information coming out now, with governments and some doctors and health officials trying to backtrack to save their arses, the news is not good. My son and I are not COVID vaxxed, but my daughter and my son-in-law had to be vaxxed to keep their jobs and my four granddaughters are also vaxxed. I continually worry about them and dread the day they suffer from side effects. If the vaccinations are harmless, why are 16 countries setting up a blood bank of only unvaxxed blood? Why have people in America who have been COVID vaxxed been told by the Red Cross that they cannot donate blood? Why have so many doctors and nurses (and more than the MSM reports) refused to be vaccinated?

For all those who have been COVID vaxxed and suffered no ill effects and are going strong, I am happy for them, and I pray they remain safe. One must do what one feels is right for them. Want the COVID vaccinations, fine, people should have ready access to them. Don't want the vaccination and boosters, that is a person's right and people should not have been medically discriminated against as we were for two years. Coercion for medical treatment is against the Nuremberg Laws, even if governments are denying those laws apply. The most deadly results for the vaccinated will occur over the next decade or so.

You have a right to believe as you wish, as do others here, and so do I. I really hope you remain safe and well.
That's not true about American Red Cross stopping covid vaccinated people from donating blood. Have you been watching Tucker Carlson?

Thank you for your good wishes. It's pretty obvious that we cannot resolve this discussion so as you say it is now all a matter of personal choice. By the way, I also had all the Polio and other vaccines when I was much younger in the 60s and 70s plus I now also have regular flu jabs every year and pneumonia jabs every 5 years which is a legal requirement for people over 65.

I can't believe there's still silly gullible people that still want to believe all the fake stories like this nonsense that have been going round, and still seems to be going round. 🙄

People should stop doing research on places like YouTube.🙄