Macca's worker refused to clean and quit mid-shift – reasonable or not?

Following the viral story of an employee's dramatic resignation from Macca's, a heated debate has sprung up among social media users.

The worker took to TikTok to publicly announce his resignation after refusing to clean a 'gross' sink.

The fast food worker could be seen telling his supervisor: 'I quit' after he was asked to clean a sink that was full of greasy cooking equipment.

He even goes as far as saying: 'I ain't cleaning that, I ain't cleaning that, h*** no.'

The employee is then shown leaving the premises of the fast food restaurant before shouting: 'I quit. I'm leaving Maccas. See you on the flip side, b****!'

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 3.14.23 PM.png
A Macca's worker in NZ filmed his dramatic resignation and uploaded it online. Credit: TikTok/fionnmccallum470.

The clip has captured the attention of millions of users on TikTok, with more than 2.9 million of them viewing the 26-second video.

A lot of people agreed that the sink task was a bit excessive, and others went on to share their experiences working in the same field.

One user wrote: 'I quit a few times because I hate working in fast food and how disrespectful people are to us,' alongside a shocked emoji.

Another user added: 'I also work at McDonald's; I feel you.'

Meanwhile, other users were quick to point out that the young man probably should have done what he was told to since he was being paid.

'Not even that bad; it's like 20 minutes of work,' said one person. Another joined the conversation and commented, 'Kids don't wanna work; they are so lazy these days.'

The viral footage has since been taken down by TikTok from its platform due to 'harassment and bullying'.
Key Takeaways

• A fast food worker in New Zealand has quit his job after being asked to clean cooking equipment.
  • The footage of the incident went viral, with many people divided over the worker's actions.
  • Some people believed that the job was not as bad as the worker made it out to be, while others sympathised with him.
What are your thoughts, members? Was the employee unreasonable for quitting mid-shift, or do you agree that the task given to him was a bit overboard? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
Following the viral story of an employee's dramatic resignation from Macca's, a heated debate has sprung up among social media users.

The worker took to TikTok to publicly announce his resignation after refusing to clean a 'gross' sink.

The fast food worker could be seen telling his supervisor: 'I quit' after he was asked to clean a sink that was full of greasy cooking equipment.

He even goes as far as saying: 'I ain't cleaning that, I ain't cleaning that, h*** no.'

The employee is then shown leaving the premises of the fast food restaurant before shouting: 'I quit. I'm leaving Maccas. See you on the flip side, b****!'

View attachment 9442
A Macca's worker in NZ filmed his dramatic resignation and uploaded it online. Credit: TikTok/fionnmccallum470.

The clip has captured the attention of millions of users on TikTok, with more than 2.9 million of them viewing the 26-second video.

A lot of people agreed that the sink task was a bit excessive, and others went on to share their experiences working in the same field.

One user wrote: 'I quit a few times because I hate working in fast food and how disrespectful people are to us,' alongside a shocked emoji.

Meanwhile, other users were quick to point out that the young man probably should have done what he was told to since he was being paid.

'Not even that bad; it's like 20 minutes of work,' said one person. Another joined the conversation and commented, 'Kids don't wanna work; they are so lazy these days.'

The viral footage has since been taken down by TikTok from its platform due to 'harassment and bullying'.
Key Takeaways

• A fast food worker in New Zealand has quit his job after being asked to clean cooking equipment.
  • The footage of the incident went viral, with many people divided over the worker's actions.
  • Some people believed that the job was not as bad as the worker made it out to be, while others sympathised with him.
What are your thoughts, members? Was the employee unreasonable for quitting mid-shift, or do you agree that the task given to him was a bit overboard? Let us know in the comments!
Teach workers to run hot water over the greasy dishes to de-solve the fat.T
hen stack neatly on the side of the sink. Don't let it pile up. Hot soapy water does the trick. Teach workers to take the initiative to do the job before it piles up and looks like a big problem. Anyone who quits over dirty dishes needs education on the job or the worker just did not want the job.

I wonder what would happen if a war broke out and people had to fight for their country? Would these same people who don't like getting their hands dirty, defend their country? I am thankful that I grew up in an era where you just did what had to be done and did what you were paid to do. I also agree that a system could be put in place where hot water is run over the greasy stuff then piled on the side of the sink. Sadly a lot, not all, of young people are a bit precious and think that these types of tasks are beneath them. A few years ago, a young 17 year old just out of school was employed in admin for a month's trial where I was working. The day she said, "I don't do filing, that is for someone else to do", was the day that we all knew her contract would not be extended....and it wasn't.

The lazy, disrespectable little A**e Hole, like previously mentioned it is about 20 min work. Speaking to an employer that way just show the type of person he is, and to have the time to film it, totally set up. I would ban him from every Macca's shop in his area. Notice this is a trend happening in amounts the young, a concern for our future with life.

Disrespectful ,makes you wonder what the next generation is going to be like,we did what we were told for our pay,but today they just want everything done for them and still get payed,don't like getting their hands dirty,obversely doesn't want his job.

View attachment 9442

Key Takeaways

If it’s part of your job description when you were employed & it was explained that you had to wash up &
clean when you took the job, then I think he was unreasonable to think he had the right to quit mid shift. I just wonder how long he had been working there. It would be interesting to see what job he does next.

View attachment 9442

Key Takeaways

Well someone has to do it eventually why not him?

Teach workers to run hot water over the greasy dishes to de-solve the fat.T
hen stack neatly on the side of the sink. Don't let it pile up. Hot soapy water does the trick. Teach workers to take the initiative to do the job before it piles up and looks like a big problem. Anyone who quits over dirty dishes needs education on the job or the worker just did not want the job.
Its part of the job. we all have had jobs that we didn't particularly like but we just did it. Not a good look.I agree hot water would have helped and don't let them build up'

View attachment 9442

Key Takeaways

That’s why the majority of the new generation don’t cook, it’s so easy not having the worry of preparation and dish washing 🤦🏻
They order, eat from boxes and throw it in the bin 🤷🏻‍♀️ Easy peasy 👍🏼👍🏼
Also not disposing of their takeaway boxes etc correctly, just dropping them out of car windows or leaving on the ground a few metres from bins.

That’s why the majority of the new generation don’t cook, it’s so easy not having the worry of preparation and dish washing 🤦🏻
They order, eat from boxes and throw it in the bin 🤷🏻‍♀️ Easy peasy 👍🏼👍🏼
I agree with the copious contributions to our recycle bin. Brought up with a great healthy diet but is genuinely now too busy at work long hours, and when he gets home too tired to cook or accept his mother's as previously. Double-edged sword. He did get those weekly delivered costly meals for a while. I find the recycle bins to show so much waste to deliver to any Charity young people today as well and many Charities do not accept what they used to now. So waste yet again of still useful decent items.
Is anyone interested in never used upright Bissel Pet Fur Power brush for hard floors and carpet shampooer? For free? I moved homes before it was used it and then never needed it. Nothing wrong with it. No charity takes electrical items even if new it seems. Mine needs a good home!

I wonder what would happen if a war broke out and people had to fight for their country? Would these same people who don't like getting their hands dirty, defend their country? I am thankful that I grew up in an era where you just did what had to be done and did what you were paid to do. I also agree that a system could be put in place where hot water is run over the greasy stuff then piled on the side of the sink. Sadly a lot, not all, of young people are a bit precious and think that these types of tasks are beneath them. A few years ago, a young 17 year old just out of school was employed in admin for a month's trial where I was working. The day she said, "I don't do filing, that is for someone else to do", was the day that we all knew her contract would not be extended....and it wasn't.
Many years ago I was in charge of an office and employed a young girl who was to be a junior. She knew what the job entailed. Once again did not want to file, go to the post office, deliver mail all because she had been to Business College. There have always been these youngsters around that want to start at the top.

View attachment 9442

Key Takeaways

What are your thoughts, members? Was the employee unreasonable for quitting mid-shift, or do you agree that the task given to him was a bit overboard? Let us know in the co

View attachment 9442

Key Takeaways

Part of hospitality is cleaning, floors walls sinks equipment etc. Maccas is not a holiday fun camp, although you can have fun whilst working there, he'll grow up one day.

View attachment 9442

Key Takeaways

Part of the job!
I'd hate to see their kitchen after a week of not washing up the dishes.
They really don't deserve the job in the 1st place.