Lemon Poppy Sugar Cookies For Remembrance Day

While Remembrance Day has never been about food, we believe there’s nothing wrong with commemorating with a delicious lemon poppy sugar cookie - a creative way to show your support for our veterans and remember all those who have given the ultimate sacrifice. If you're feeling up to it, you could even make a batch for your local RSL!

Ingredients:

½ cup butter at room temperature
¾ cup icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
2 cups flour, plus more for rolling the dough
½ teaspoon salt

Icing:
4 cups icing sugar
Red and black food colouring
Poppy seeds for sprinkling

Instructions:

1. In a bowl, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and juice until combined. Beat in the flour, salt, and poppy seeds. In another bowl, whisk the flour and salt. Form the dough into a bowl, wrap it in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.

3. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll it out to 1/4-inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out desired shapes. Place the cookies on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

4. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are lightly golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

5. To make the icing, whisk the icing sugar and lemon juice in a bowl until combined. Tint the large part of the icing red, a small portion black, and the remaining icing white.

6. With the red icing, trace a circle around the cookie, following the shape of the poppies. Pipe a dot of icing into each petal and feather it to cover. Then, with the white icing, create a circle with small dots in the centre. Draw the white icing around the poppy with a toothpick. Pipe a large white dot in the centre of each cookie once the icing has hardened. Once the dot is in place, pipe a black line around it and immediately sprinkle it with poppy seeds. Allow the icing to set before storing.

To make this dish extra special, you can experiment with different flavourings for the icing, such as orange or mint.

And voila! You have now made some delicious and beautiful lemon poppy sugar cookies to help commemorate Remembrance Day! Let us know how yours turned out in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
While Remembrance Day has never been about food, we believe there’s nothing wrong with commemorating with a delicious lemon poppy sugar cookie - a creative way to show your support for our veterans and remember all those who have given the ultimate sacrifice. If you're feeling up to it, you could even make a batch for your local RSL!

Ingredients:

½ cup butter at room temperature
¾ cup icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
2 cups flour, plus more for rolling the dough
½ teaspoon saltIcing:
4 cups icing sugar
Red and black food colouring
Poppy seeds for sprinkling

Instructions:

1. In a bowl, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and juice until combined. Beat in the flour, salt, and poppy seeds. In another bowl, whisk the flour and salt. Form the dough into a bowl, wrap it in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.

3. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll it out to 1/4-inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out desired shapes. Place the cookies on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

4. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are lightly golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

5. To make the icing, whisk the icing sugar and lemon juice in a bowl until combined. Tint the large part of the icing red, a small portion black, and the remaining icing white.

6. With the red icing, trace a circle around the cookie, following the shape of the poppies. Pipe a dot of icing into each petal and feather it to cover. Then, with the white icing, create a circle with small dots in the centre. Draw the white icing around the poppy with a toothpick. Pipe a large white dot in the centre of each cookie once the icing has hardened. Once the dot is in place, pipe a black line around it and immediately sprinkle it with poppy seeds. Allow the icing to set before storing.

To make this dish extra special, you can experiment with different flavourings for the icing, such as orange or mint.

And voila! You have now made some delicious and beautiful lemon poppy sugar cookies to help commemorate Remembrance Day! Let us know how yours turned out in the comments below.
Hi can you please tell me what salt icing is. Thanks

These are incredible @JayKay!
Since the centenary of the landing at Gallipoli in 2015, I've knitted over 800 red Poppies.
I initially contributed to the 5,000 Poppies appeal, which started off with small expectations but grew to a world-wide effort.
A huge carpet of poppies was prepared and laid along St Kilda Road in Melbourne for the Anzac Day March 2015.
I continued to knit poppies, and some of mine have been placed on headstones in Gallipoli, some went to the Chelsea Garden Show, many have been given to friends, the RSL and soldiers, and friends of friends.
I still get requests for them.
In about 2018, a special service was held at the Pozieres War Animal Memorial commemorating all war animals from all conflicts . I knitted 100 purple poppies to be sent over to France for this service..
The white poppy commemorates all war dead, and stands for "Never Again", symbolic of Peace.

Since the centenary of the landing at Gallipoli in 2015, I've knitted over 800 red Poppies.
I initially contributed to the 5,000 Poppies appeal, which started off with small expectations but grew to a world-wide effort.
A huge carpet of poppies was prepared and laid along St Kilda Road in Melbourne for the Anzac Day March 2015.
I continued to knit poppies, and some of mine have been placed on headstones in Gallipoli, some went to the Chelsea Garden Show, many have been given to friends, the RSL and soldiers, and friends of friends.
I still get requests for them.
In about 2018, a special service was held at the Pozieres War Animal Memorial commemorating all war animals from all conflicts . I knitted 100 purple poppies to be sent over to France for this service..
The white poppy commemorates all war dead, and stands for "Never Again", symbolic of Peace.
You have been a busy lady. Such a lovely thought for our fallen.

Thankyou for your contribution & for sharing this information. I was very touched reading your article.

Would you please share how much time is spent making one of the beautiful poppies? Thankyou.

Reactions: JayKay
You have been a busy lady. Such a lovely thought for our fallen.

Thankyou for your contribution & for sharing this information. I was very touched reading your article.

Would you please share how much time is spent making one of the beautiful poppies? Thankyou.
Grateful thanks for your kind words, Ezzy.
Each poppy takes about 3 hours.
I also knit daffodils for Daffodil Day, commemorating those touched by cancer. Daffodils take me 6 hours each, they are more fiddly.
I have knitted 300 teddies for the Operation Christmas Child/Samaritan's Purse Shoe boxes this year....each teddy takes 3 hours.
I am so grateful for my Mum for teaching me to knit, for her perseverance and endurance when I was a tiny little girl.

Reactions: Ezzy
Some of the daffodils I still have when I was experimenting when making up the pattern.
I started the daffodils when I was initially connected to the Oncology unit.
I used to knit them and take them in for the girls on the desk to raise funds for the Cancer Unit.
If people wanted to make a donation, they did, otherwise they could just have one.
No-one knew it was me who made them, but I loved seeing people get some pleasure from a sunny daffodil. Screenshot_20221112-065512.png

A huggle of 200 + 100 teddies.
Knitted to donate to go into the Operation Christmas Child/Samaritan's Purse Christmas Shoeboxes which go overseas to put a smile on kiddies' faces.Screenshot_20221112-070529.pngScreenshot_20221112-070602.png

A huggle of 200 + 100 teddies.
Knitted to donate to go into the Operation Christmas Child/Samaritan's Purse Christmas Shoeboxes which go overseas to put a smile on kiddies' faces.View attachment 8796View attachment 8797
I cannot thank you enough for sharing photos of your beautiful collection & posting details of times to knit one of these & the enormous number you have created. l am truly awestruck when looking at these photos, they are lovely & then l think how many hours these must have taken you in total. You are amazing.

There are a lot of lucky people out there who have you to thank for these little labours of love. Thankyou to you & your mother without who's help you would not have developed such a lovely talent.
(You mentioned you have no pattern to follow. My mother used to say similar about cake recipes & many of my friends in the seniors age group have said the same about other recipes. Just one of those things that is sometimes hard to put into writing l think.)

Reactions: JayKay
I cannot thank you enough for sharing photos of your beautiful collection & posting details of times to knit one of these & the enormous number you have created. l am truly awestruck when looking at these photos, they are lovely & then l think how many hours these must have taken you in total. You are amazing.

There are a lot of lucky people out there who have you to thank for these little labours of love. Thankyou to you & your mother without who's help you would not have developed such a lovely talent.
(You mentioned you have no pattern to follow. My mother used to say similar about cake recipes & many of my friends in the seniors age group have said the same about other recipes. Just one of those things that is sometimes hard to put into writing l think.)
Since Cinnamon's request for patterns, I have been trying to think how I could accommodate her. I simply wouldn't know where to start.
If I wrote down what I do, I think I'd be writing for the rest of my life.
I wouldn't be able to put them on here, and I don't have a computer to type them into a decent form to be understood.
I'd love to be able to assist, but I don't know how I can.
You've been very kind in your expression of thanks.....much appreciated.