Leaked emails expose how supermarkets profit more while customers ‘get screwed’

The Australian supermarket industry is dominated by two major players, Coles and Woolworths, who, together, control a staggering 65 per cent of the grocery market.

This duopoly has long been a subject of scrutiny, with critics arguing that it stifles competition and leads to higher prices for consumers.

Now, leaked emails and insider accounts have shed light on the tactics these supermarket giants use to profit from rising prices, despite their public assurances of doing everything possible to keep grocery bills down.

The leaked emails reveal a fascinating insight into the negotiation tactics employed by Coles with a supplier seeking a price increase.

The supplier, a multinational company, requested a price increase of around five per cent to cover its rising costs. Coles initially dismissed this request, citing 'customer needs' and the 'competitive environment'.

the-market-3147758_640.jpg
Leaked emails shed light on how supermarkets profit from raising prices. Credit: Pixabay

However, the emails show that the supermarket giant later agreed to the price increase, but only after demanding a one-off payment from the supplier to cover a so-called 'gap' that the price increase would allegedly create.

The source of the leaked emails, an employee of the multinational supplier, said, ‘Now this gap is, truthfully, made up. There's no rhyme or logic behind it.’

‘When I questioned where this gap came from, they only shared with me an image, not even the actual data.’

The supplier was expected to bridge this 'gap' either by accepting a lower margin or making a one-off payment to the supermarket.

In this case, the supplier opted for a $25,000 one-off payment, which was supposed to be used for online promotions.

Despite initial concerns about the impact of the price increase on customers, Coles accepted the supplier's offer and implemented the full price increase.

‘Thank you for your continued support,’ the Coles buyer wrote.

The source claimed that Coles not only pocketed the $25,000 in promotion money but also passed on the full price increase to customers.

When asked what this meant for the customer, the source said, ‘They're the ones that are getting screwed.’

‘It just means higher prices [on] the shelf because the supermarkets are extremely greedy.’

‘Their main objective with these price increases, regardless of what they're saying to the public, is a margin enhancement exercise. They want to make more money for every price increase that goes through the supermarkets.’

Coles Chief Executive Leah Weckert dismissed the claim that this amounted to price gouging.

‘You have an email from one supplier, we have over 8,000 suppliers that we work with,’ she said.

‘We have a team of people whose job it is to look to validate cost, price increases, and we take that job very seriously.’

The leaked emails also showed Coles asked the supplier to explain how its costs increased.

However, when the supplier refused, Coles did not ask for more evidence that the price increase was genuine.

An industry insider revealed that Woolworths has been employing a similar strategy to increase its profits.

About 18 months ago, the supermarket giant reportedly began using inflation as a cover to increase its own profit margins.

When suppliers requested price increases, Woolworths would ask to 'share' in these increases by requesting a portion of the increase to be paid back to the supermarket.

This meant that while consumers ended up paying more, suppliers did not receive the full price increase, and Woolworths would allegedly be able to boost its profit margins.

Woolworths Chief Executive Brad Banducci clarified that the company is not employing these tactics.

‘When a supplier asks for a price increase, we would like to engage to make sure it's based on true cost increases. And so we are very keen to make sure we don't pass on anything more to our customers than is required,’ he said.

Woolworths' latest annual report supports this claim, showing that its pre-tax profit margin from selling groceries rose from 5.3 per cent to 6 per cent last financial year, an increase worth an extra $318 million in profits.

Meanwhile, its cost of doing business remained flat.

portrait-asian-woman-looks-worries-smartphone-screen-holds-vegetables-orders-food-online-white.jpg
An insider said that the customers are ‘getting screwed’ by these tactics. Credit: Freepik

Banducci denied that these numbers resulted from the price gouging.

‘There are many things that go and drive the delivery of that result. It's a lot of hardworking productivity and investment,’ he said.

‘I've reviewed the supply cost increases, which we'd have to agree in many cases would've been legitimate.’

‘Between the price on the shelf and the cost increase from the supplier. Those have been in lockstep.’

Julian Hilliard, a retail veteran with 38 years of experience, including roles at both Coles and Woolworths, confirmed this lack of price competition.

'I would probably say that if you did five shops in Woolworths and five shops in Coles…you'd be a few cents difference maybe depending on the specials,' he said.

In light of this situation, a parliamentary inquiry is set to proceed in early 2024, and it will undoubtedly be a pivotal moment for the Australian grocery industry.

The inquiry is expected to scrutinise whether customers are subjected to 'price gouging' during economic hardship, own brand products to market concentration, corporate profit hikes and the extraction of cost-savings from employees and consumers through automation. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • Leaked emails suggest Coles has been profiting from price increases while claiming to work to keep grocery bills low.
  • Industry insiders claim both Coles and Woolworths have used inflation to increase their profit margins over the last 18 months.
  • Woolworths has allegedly been asking suppliers to share in price increases, which has led to consumers paying more and suppliers not receiving their full price increase.
  • Despite concerns over rising grocery prices, Woolworths' pre-tax profit margin on groceries rose last financial year, contributing an additional $318 million in profits.
Have you noticed a significant increase in your grocery bills? Share them with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
What the Woolworths & Coles tactics is to increase the price of a product by 25 to 30% and to start with put that product at 1/2 price for couple of weeks, then 40% Off for another few weeks and then the new price will be 30% more after few weeks. I could not understand, 1.25L Coke bottle price in Woolworths was $3.65, while 2L Coke bottle was $3.85. this does not make a sense.
Ujjal

I most certainly buy less than I did 12 months ago, it's just getting out of hand with these supermarkets. Most certainly another supermarket would shake up the big two. We here in Victoria recently went through a huge power outage for days and found supermarkets were putting all meat, dairy and deli products into skips because of spoilage due to fridges being out, will most certainly see price increases now blamed on the power outages.

Government enquiries will do sweet fa to stop the supermarket rip of of customers they have a monopoly and collude with their pricing the farmers should all stop supplying coles and wokeworths for a week it should be the other way around farmers and suppliers should be dictating the prices not the way it is i would like to see farmers start supplying outdoor fruit and veg markets like in europe that would hurt the major supermarkets and trim their massive profits

Reactions: ElizabethL
In the past exposure would make people/businesses retract. Not anymore. We read about it but nothing changes. We are at the mercy of the government. The supermarkets. Business. Nothing will change. Not even protesting does much anymore.

Reactions: SandyM and Fanger
The Big Two (the Screwers) screw us unmercifully because we tolerate it.
We, the Screwees have the power to change this: "Just say 'NO!' "
The only thing the big stores really understand is Buyer Resistance.
Ask yourself "Do I REALLY need this overpriced item?", and make your decision accordingly.
You might save yourself some money, while eliminating a lot of waste at home.

We need legislation to restrict supermarket trading to normal working hours 7am-5pm and no late night or weekend shopping. That would allow family businesses selling meat and groceries to exist and to compete with supermarkets. It might also see small shops such as the former "dairies" and butchers and bakers and veggie shops develop in our sterile suburbs.

But we all love the convenience of 7-days a week, 15-hours a day of supermarket shopping in the "shopping mall" to which we drive in our SUVs, don't we? Just as we love the "convenience" of the debit and credit card.

Reactions: Liz
PLEASE WATCH THIS IF YOU CAN: I have just finished watching SUPER POWER shown on ABC Four Corners last night on 19 Feb. This is a documentary all about Coles and Woolworths and how they justify their exorbitant prices for groceries. I found it very interesting to see how the CEO's of Coles and Woolworths responded to the questions of the reporter. They didn't really answer the questions asked by the reporter, very evasive. Most of all I feel sorry for the fruit and vege growers who can no longer continue in business because of what is happening to them with these 2 supermarkets. This program highlights the real problem as to why our groceries are so high - bottom line, price gouging and corporate GREED.

Greedy bastards. The ones doing this are most probably sitting on their arses trying to think of ways to rip off suppliers and customers meanwhile pocketing kickbacks.

I am grateful that in Australia we can shop for just about anything we require, and there are so many places to choose from. The staff are always welcoming and friendly. I love seeing the kids working early in the morning still getting the shelves ready for the grumpy old boomers to come in when their sleep machine turns off. My kids worked at supermarkets from an early age and saved everything. Each of them now owns several houses. If you have a negative ungrateful attitude your life will turn out much the same.

Reactions: Macarj
I don't understand how Coles and Woolworths could have any doubt about the increased cost to the production of goods. Petrol has gone up, electricity has gone up, gas has gone up, water has gone up, insurance has gone up, the cost of feed for farmers to feed their livestock has gone up, fertilizer has gone up as has any of the crop sprays that are used on crops, the cost of labour on the farms to harvest crops has gone up as well as labour for the processing of food through the various stages. So how can Woolworths and Coles question that there haven't been any increases in costs at the farming and processing stages? Do they have any idea how much hard work goes into the growing of fruit and vegetables and the nurturing of livestock for meat products and dairy cattle for the production of dairy products? It takes hard work 7 days a week, rain, hail or shine, 365 days a year.

App.1month ago Woolworths had a half price special on Solo zero sugar.2x10 pack for $19-50 they are normally $9-50 a pack, so they are saying that they are $19 a pack.This was a ln store special ,also a ripoff.

App.1month ago Woolworths had a half price special on Solo zero sugar.2x10 pack for $19-50 they are normally $9-50 a pack, so they are saying that they are $19 a pack.This was a ln store special ,also a ripoff.
Give them a miss...

I don't understand how Coles and Woolworths could have any doubt about the increased cost to the production of goods. Petrol has gone up, electricity has gone up, gas has gone up, water has gone up, insurance has gone up, the cost of feed for farmers to feed their livestock has gone up, fertilizer has gone up as has any of the crop sprays that are used on crops, the cost of labour on the farms to harvest crops has gone up as well as labour for the processing of food through the various stages. So how can Woolworths and Coles question that there haven't been any increases in costs at the farming and processing stages? Do they have any idea how much hard work goes into the growing of fruit and vegetables and the nurturing of livestock for meat products and dairy cattle for the production of dairy products? It takes hard work 7 days a week, rain, hail or shine, 365 days a year.
They don't give it a thought.... the only thing they think about is the bottom line.

Reactions: Reaper123
I am grateful that in Australia we can shop for just about anything we require, and there are so many places to choose from. The staff are always welcoming and friendly. I love seeing the kids working early in the morning still getting the shelves ready for the grumpy old boomers to come in when their sleep machine turns off. My kids worked at supermarkets from an early age and saved everything. Each of them now owns several houses. If you have a negative ungrateful attitude your life will turn out much the same.
This "grumpy old boomer" remembers the days when he could walk to the local butcher, baker and candlestick-maker and ironmonger about 10-20 minutes walk away (5 minutes on a push-bike) to buy what was needed. Or mum would fill in the order book and see groceries and meat delivered from the same type of shops (and indeed the weekly laundry from the laundry business). No supermarket duopoly to collude in ripping us off in the shopping center to which we have to drive our SUV whilst our washing machine consumes electricity and water in each and every Australian household rather than our employing the economy of scale to get a basic job done efficiently.

Of course I am grumpy; socially, those were better days. And if we didn't have cash we could pay by cheque once the shopkeepers had learnt that we were honest and good customers. Who needed a credit/debit card or a mobile phone? In Vietnam or Thailand I can shop for anything I desire in markets, roadside stalls and individual shops. What's so special about Australia?

Reactions: IAN3005 and Macarj