Leaked emails expose how supermarkets profit more while customers ‘get screwed’

The Australian supermarket industry is dominated by two major players, Coles and Woolworths, who, together, control a staggering 65 per cent of the grocery market.

This duopoly has long been a subject of scrutiny, with critics arguing that it stifles competition and leads to higher prices for consumers.

Now, leaked emails and insider accounts have shed light on the tactics these supermarket giants use to profit from rising prices, despite their public assurances of doing everything possible to keep grocery bills down.

The leaked emails reveal a fascinating insight into the negotiation tactics employed by Coles with a supplier seeking a price increase.

The supplier, a multinational company, requested a price increase of around five per cent to cover its rising costs. Coles initially dismissed this request, citing 'customer needs' and the 'competitive environment'.

the-market-3147758_640.jpg
Leaked emails shed light on how supermarkets profit from raising prices. Credit: Pixabay

However, the emails show that the supermarket giant later agreed to the price increase, but only after demanding a one-off payment from the supplier to cover a so-called 'gap' that the price increase would allegedly create.

The source of the leaked emails, an employee of the multinational supplier, said, ‘Now this gap is, truthfully, made up. There's no rhyme or logic behind it.’

‘When I questioned where this gap came from, they only shared with me an image, not even the actual data.’

The supplier was expected to bridge this 'gap' either by accepting a lower margin or making a one-off payment to the supermarket.

In this case, the supplier opted for a $25,000 one-off payment, which was supposed to be used for online promotions.

Despite initial concerns about the impact of the price increase on customers, Coles accepted the supplier's offer and implemented the full price increase.

‘Thank you for your continued support,’ the Coles buyer wrote.

The source claimed that Coles not only pocketed the $25,000 in promotion money but also passed on the full price increase to customers.

When asked what this meant for the customer, the source said, ‘They're the ones that are getting screwed.’

‘It just means higher prices [on] the shelf because the supermarkets are extremely greedy.’

‘Their main objective with these price increases, regardless of what they're saying to the public, is a margin enhancement exercise. They want to make more money for every price increase that goes through the supermarkets.’

Coles Chief Executive Leah Weckert dismissed the claim that this amounted to price gouging.

‘You have an email from one supplier, we have over 8,000 suppliers that we work with,’ she said.

‘We have a team of people whose job it is to look to validate cost, price increases, and we take that job very seriously.’

The leaked emails also showed Coles asked the supplier to explain how its costs increased.

However, when the supplier refused, Coles did not ask for more evidence that the price increase was genuine.

An industry insider revealed that Woolworths has been employing a similar strategy to increase its profits.

About 18 months ago, the supermarket giant reportedly began using inflation as a cover to increase its own profit margins.

When suppliers requested price increases, Woolworths would ask to 'share' in these increases by requesting a portion of the increase to be paid back to the supermarket.

This meant that while consumers ended up paying more, suppliers did not receive the full price increase, and Woolworths would allegedly be able to boost its profit margins.

Woolworths Chief Executive Brad Banducci clarified that the company is not employing these tactics.

‘When a supplier asks for a price increase, we would like to engage to make sure it's based on true cost increases. And so we are very keen to make sure we don't pass on anything more to our customers than is required,’ he said.

Woolworths' latest annual report supports this claim, showing that its pre-tax profit margin from selling groceries rose from 5.3 per cent to 6 per cent last financial year, an increase worth an extra $318 million in profits.

Meanwhile, its cost of doing business remained flat.

portrait-asian-woman-looks-worries-smartphone-screen-holds-vegetables-orders-food-online-white.jpg
An insider said that the customers are ‘getting screwed’ by these tactics. Credit: Freepik

Banducci denied that these numbers resulted from the price gouging.

‘There are many things that go and drive the delivery of that result. It's a lot of hardworking productivity and investment,’ he said.

‘I've reviewed the supply cost increases, which we'd have to agree in many cases would've been legitimate.’

‘Between the price on the shelf and the cost increase from the supplier. Those have been in lockstep.’

Julian Hilliard, a retail veteran with 38 years of experience, including roles at both Coles and Woolworths, confirmed this lack of price competition.

'I would probably say that if you did five shops in Woolworths and five shops in Coles…you'd be a few cents difference maybe depending on the specials,' he said.

In light of this situation, a parliamentary inquiry is set to proceed in early 2024, and it will undoubtedly be a pivotal moment for the Australian grocery industry.

The inquiry is expected to scrutinise whether customers are subjected to 'price gouging' during economic hardship, own brand products to market concentration, corporate profit hikes and the extraction of cost-savings from employees and consumers through automation. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • Leaked emails suggest Coles has been profiting from price increases while claiming to work to keep grocery bills low.
  • Industry insiders claim both Coles and Woolworths have used inflation to increase their profit margins over the last 18 months.
  • Woolworths has allegedly been asking suppliers to share in price increases, which has led to consumers paying more and suppliers not receiving their full price increase.
  • Despite concerns over rising grocery prices, Woolworths' pre-tax profit margin on groceries rose last financial year, contributing an additional $318 million in profits.
Have you noticed a significant increase in your grocery bills? Share them with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Greedy bastards. The ones doing this are most probably sitting on their arses trying to think of ways to rip off suppliers and customers meanwhile pocketing kickbacks.
Yes you are correct and it won't stop. All one can do is shop elsewhere if possible and boycott the both of them permanently. People power is probably the only thing we have left.

Reactions: ElizabethL
What the Woolworths & Coles tactics is to increase the price of a product by 25 to 30% and to start with put that product at 1/2 price for couple of weeks, then 40% Off for another few weeks and then the new price will be 30% more after few weeks. I could not understand, 1.25L Coke bottle price in Woolworths was $3.65, while 2L Coke bottle was $3.85. this does not make a sense.
Ujjal
This was in the report on ABC last night, Super Power. Eye opener.

I don't understand how Coles and Woolworths could have any doubt about the increased cost to the production of goods. Petrol has gone up, electricity has gone up, gas has gone up, water has gone up, insurance has gone up, the cost of feed for farmers to feed their livestock has gone up, fertilizer has gone up as has any of the crop sprays that are used on crops, the cost of labour on the farms to harvest crops has gone up as well as labour for the processing of food through the various stages. So how can Woolworths and Coles question that there haven't been any increases in costs at the farming and processing stages? Do they have any idea how much hard work goes into the growing of fruit and vegetables and the nurturing of livestock for meat products and dairy cattle for the production of dairy products? It takes hard work 7 days a week, rain, hail or shine, 365 days a year.
"Do they have any idea how much hard work goes into the growing of fruit and vegetables and the nurturing of livestock for meat products and dairy cattle for the production of dairy products? It takes hard work 7 days a week, rain, hail or shine, 365 days a year."

I am sure they do, just as I am sure from conversations with friends running a 10 000-tree stone-fruit farm that, despite that knowledge, Coles and Woolworths couldn't give a rat's arse about farmers' labour and on-farm costs.

Reactions: oldchook58
I am guessing this enquiry is going to be a joke. The supermarkets can just lie, which I am guessing they already have done. Didn't they blame the suppliers ? Couldn't possibly be them.

Reactions: oldchook58
I don't believe a word that comes out of the mouth of Coles and WW bosses. We all know they are price gouging and nothing they say will make us believe otherwise. They dribble more shit that a sewerage plant. Wake up Coles and WW. Your profits tell the real story on what's going on. Customers are not stupid as you like to think. I hope this enquiry exposes all the lies and deceit and serious punishment handed down to the greedy bastards involved.
100% of the profits should be claimed as restitution and passed back to the customers they steal from. After that the rest of the thieving business around need to be audited and delt with including power companies.

Reactions: Rob44
I don't believe a word that comes out of the mouth of Coles and WW bosses. We all know they are price gouging and nothing they say will make us believe otherwise. They dribble more shit that a sewerage plant. Wake up Coles and WW. Your profits tell the real story on what's going on. Customers are not stupid as you like to think. I hope this enquiry exposes all the lies and deceit and serious punishment handed down to the greedy bastards involved.
100% of the profits should be claimed as restitution and passed back to the customers they steal from. After that the rest of the thieving business around need to be audited and delt with including power companies.
I agree, but the trouble is these 2 think they are above the law and basically untouchable - the government enquiry will be interesting. I don't shop at either of them - it just annoys me that they have the gall to carry on business as they do, the greed is something I have trouble comprehending.

And now some more about price-rises. I was in the local friendly Chemist Warehouse today. Just a week ago the 5-kit Covi-19 test pack was $15 (+the statutory 99 cents that gives an extra cent profit if one pays cash). Now the 5-kit pack is no longer available and has been replaced by a 2-kit Covid-19 pack for the cheaper price of $9.99 ( $10). So each C-19 test-kit has risen in price from $3 to $5 a test. Ho hum, Coles and Woolies could learn a trick or two.

That's the end of my commercial relationship with Chemist Warehouse. I'll go to the local 1-man chemist (pharmacy) shop from now on.

And a couple of weeks ago the Chemist Warehouse tried to round up from the something plus 98c they charged for something I bought. I suppose that is the advantage of a plastic card; one can insist on paying the advertised price of something plus 98cents, not the rounded-up two cents extra.

Agree 100%. The fallout has started, Brad's limping away.

Reactions: IAN3005
What the Woolworths & Coles tactics is to increase the price of a product by 25 to 30% and to start with put that product at 1/2 price for couple of weeks, then 40% Off for another few weeks and then the new price will be 30% more after few weeks. I could not understand, 1.25L Coke bottle price in Woolworths was $3.65, while 2L Coke bottle was $3.85. this does not make a sense.
Ujjal
Yes that is how they do it.

Agree 100%. The fallout has started, Brad's limping away.
He can scuttle back to South Africa..... mongrel bas**** with his tail between his legs.
This is the problem when companies tie remuneration to profit.. customer sentiment goes out the back door.