Kmart's controversial solution to checkout woes: A first look at the Melbourne store trial

For over a decade, Kmart customers have grown accustomed to the discount retailer's unconventional layout that places checkouts in the middle of stores.

However, the design choice has proven divisive, with many questioning the way the budget retailer differs from other stores with where it places its checkout counters.

This floorplan could soon change as the company trials a new layout in one store.

In what could signal a major shift, Kmart is testing a new checkout location at its Eastland store in Melbourne. Under the trial, registers have been relocated from the store centre to a new checkout area near the exit.

In short, customers taking part in the trial will experience a more traditional retail layout. Instead of queuing for registers surrounded by aisles of merchandise, shoppers will now pay at the front of the store before leaving.

4539ed3564ed61c7b61b27c6feff5cb2246f86e8-4x3-x0y1w649h487.jpg
Kmart’s current layout scheme has drawn much criticism from shoppers. Credit: Facebook

A Kmart spokesperson confirmed this change, stating that the store is currently under renovation and will undergo ‘a range of new store elements over the next year or so’.

‘As a business, we are always looking for ways to make our customer experience better, so trying out new things is just part of what we do,’ they said.

The spokesperson added: ‘As always, we have a number of trials taking place involving lots of new ideas so we can see what our customers think. As these are rolled out, we look forward to hearing our customers' feedback so we can continue to adapt and improve.’

As of writing, the retailer has yet to make plans to implement this change to other stores in the country.

Earlier this year, Kmart shoppers criticised the store layout, stating that they treat ‘every shopper like a shoplifter’.

One social media user wrote: ‘Dear Kmart Australia, why put the checkout area in the middle of the store if you’re going to treat every shopper like a shoplifter on the way out?’

At the time, Kmart shared that the checkout decision ‘made several years ago…to make shopping more convenient, ensuring store entrances are free of queues and clutter, and allowing customers to enter and exit with ease’.

‘This current layout is more open and more spacious without having the registers up at the front of the store, which can get congested during busy times of the year like Christmas,’ they explained.

Members of the Senior Discount Club have mixed opinions on this matter, with some sharing their frustration about the checkout location.

Member @Marian M wrote: ‘I do like KMart for their low prices, but I do get frustrated with the checkout being where it is. I always have to walk further to get to it and as it is placed awkwardly. It is a st****place to put it.’

‘Then to have to keep the receipt handy when exiting. I do not think they have ever really checked my receipt; they just glance at it, and some often don't bother doing that,’ the member continued.

Member @carosb13 said: ‘I have no issue with my bags being checked, but it wouldn't be necessary if the checkouts were left at the entrance to the store, where they used to be! Often, it's hard to find them too, and one walks a lot extra.’

Member @Margaret 9 shared: ‘I used to shop at Kmart regularly until they moved the checkouts to the middle of the store, and then I had to queue to leave the store to have my bag and receipt checked, they even check the carrier off the back of my mobility scooter!’

‘I have never stolen anything in my life, and Kmart's detailed checking of everywhere I could possibly have hidden something is annoying!’ They added.

On the other hand, some members don’t mind having the checkout counters in the middle of the store.

‘I don’t mind where the checkout is at present. I don’t think it matters where the checkout is, we all go into, buy whatever and leave. Can’t see what the big deal is!!’ member @LeslieD expressed.

‘With so much shoplifting going on, they have to check receipts, etc. Otherwise, the cost of everything goes up to make up for the stealing. I'm quite happy to be checked on the way out of the store. Also, the checkout in the centre makes sense, never had to wait to use a register,’ member @Col@45 said.

‘When you think about it, shoplifting keeps costs up, I don’t mind a middle of store set up it used to be a cluttered mess at the door. My local Kmart had a person who clicks your receipt with the machine, which prevents people who might steal a second item and use the receipt to return it. If it saves me money, I can deal with waiting, and at 82, it isn’t easy,’ member @Isis stated.

Key Takeaways
  • Kmart is trialling a new checkout location at its Eastland store in Melbourne, moving cash registers from the centre of the store to the exit.
  • The trial is part of Kmart's ongoing efforts to improve the customer experience and comes after backlash over the previous layout, which some shoppers criticised as treating 'every shopper like a shoplifter'.
  • The retailer has confirmed it is testing various new elements in the store, but no plans have been announced to implement this change in other stores across Australia.
  • Earlier this year, customers suggested changes to the store layout, including moving the checkout counters to the front of the store.

Should this be implemented everywhere, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
For over a decade, Kmart customers have grown accustomed to the discount retailer's unconventional layout that places checkouts in the middle of stores.

However, the design choice has proven divisive, with many questioning the way the budget retailer differs from other stores with where it places its checkout counters.

This floorplan could soon change as the company trials a new layout in one store.

In what could signal a major shift, Kmart is testing a new checkout location at its Eastland store in Melbourne. Under the trial, registers have been relocated from the store centre to a new checkout area near the exit.

In short, customers taking part in the trial will experience a more traditional retail layout. Instead of queuing for registers surrounded by aisles of merchandise, shoppers will now pay at the front of the store before leaving.

View attachment 31758
Kmart’s current layout scheme has drawn much criticism from shoppers. Credit: Facebook

A Kmart spokesperson confirmed this change, stating that the store is currently under renovation and will undergo ‘a range of new store elements over the next year or so’.

‘As a business, we are always looking for ways to make our customer experience better, so trying out new things is just part of what we do,’ they said.

The spokesperson added: ‘As always, we have a number of trials taking place involving lots of new ideas so we can see what our customers think. As these are rolled out, we look forward to hearing our customers' feedback so we can continue to adapt and improve.’

As of writing, the retailer has yet to make plans to implement this change to other stores in the country.

Earlier this year, Kmart shoppers criticised the store layout, stating that they treat ‘every shopper like a shoplifter’.

One social media user wrote: ‘Dear Kmart Australia, why put the checkout area in the middle of the store if you’re going to treat every shopper like a shoplifter on the way out?’

At the time, Kmart shared that the checkout decision ‘made several years ago…to make shopping more convenient, ensuring store entrances are free of queues and clutter, and allowing customers to enter and exit with ease’.

‘This current layout is more open and more spacious without having the registers up at the front of the store, which can get congested during busy times of the year like Christmas,’ they explained.

Members of the Senior Discount Club have mixed opinions on this matter, with some sharing their frustration about the checkout location.

Member @Marian M wrote: ‘I do like KMart for their low prices, but I do get frustrated with the checkout being where it is. I always have to walk further to get to it and as it is placed awkwardly. It is a st****place to put it.’

‘Then to have to keep the receipt handy when exiting. I do not think they have ever really checked my receipt; they just glance at it, and some often don't bother doing that,’ the member continued.

Member @carosb13 said: ‘I have no issue with my bags being checked, but it wouldn't be necessary if the checkouts were left at the entrance to the store, where they used to be! Often, it's hard to find them too, and one walks a lot extra.’

Member @Margaret 9 shared: ‘I used to shop at Kmart regularly until they moved the checkouts to the middle of the store, and then I had to queue to leave the store to have my bag and receipt checked, they even check the carrier off the back of my mobility scooter!’

‘I have never stolen anything in my life, and Kmart's detailed checking of everywhere I could possibly have hidden something is annoying!’ They added.

On the other hand, some members don’t mind having the checkout counters in the middle of the store.

‘I don’t mind where the checkout is at present. I don’t think it matters where the checkout is, we all go into, buy whatever and leave. Can’t see what the big deal is!!’ member @LeslieD expressed.

‘With so much shoplifting going on, they have to check receipts, etc. Otherwise, the cost of everything goes up to make up for the stealing. I'm quite happy to be checked on the way out of the store. Also, the checkout in the centre makes sense, never had to wait to use a register,’ member @Col@45 said.

‘When you think about it, shoplifting keeps costs up, I don’t mind a middle of store set up it used to be a cluttered mess at the door. My local Kmart had a person who clicks your receipt with the machine, which prevents people who might steal a second item and use the receipt to return it. If it saves me money, I can deal with waiting, and at 82, it isn’t easy,’ member @Isis stated.

Key Takeaways

• Kmart is trialling a new checkout location at its Eastland store in Melbourne, moving cash registers from the centre of the store to the exit.
  • The trial is part of Kmart's ongoing efforts to improve the customer experience and comes after backlash over the previous layout, which some shoppers criticised as treating 'every shopper like a shoplifter'.
  • The retailer has confirmed it is testing various new elements in the store, but no plans have been announced to implement this change in other stores across Australia.
  • Earlier this year, customers suggested changes to the store layout, including moving the checkout counters to the front of the store.

Should this be implemented everywhere, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
What's new this is how it used to be?

Personally, I wouldn't care if the checkouts were located on the ceiling of the loading dock. The thing the annoys me is the "efficiency" of the self serve checkouts. About 8 times out of ten, the checkout locks up for some bizarre reason, requiring the overworked Kmart employee to rectify the problem some minutes later.

On a positive note, the layout of Kmart stores has to be commended. Of the four stores I have shopped at (Dandenong, Parkmore, Frankston and Stud Park), the layout is identical, with the exception of Frankston, which is the mirror image of the other three.

View attachment 31758

Key Takeaways

YES this definitely should be implemented everywhere AS LONG AS they don't add the useless chicanes that must be negotiated before reaching the checkouts, chicanes that are so narrow and involve several right angle change of direction that make the lives of shoppers who must use mobility aids like mobility scooters extremely difficult. Just let us enter and exit the checkout area with wide, STRAIGHT aisles!

View attachment 31758

Key Takeaways

They checkouts where originally at the front and then they changed it, apparently the old way the best way.

I do prefer the check outs at the front of the store, our kmart has had them in the middle for a long time now, recently as in at least six months they have changed the middle checkout area but I don't think it flows as easily as it did before, they have also put in a few more self serve machines which I try to avoid, I like being served by a human and not a machine. I haven't also found that there is a line waiting to go out the door once you have purchased your items, I show the recite the person either scans it or doesn't then I leave. Coming up for Christmas I think the checkout area will become very congested and I for one will try and pick my times I go into the store. I don't do well in crowds.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Just read through all of these comments. Too much exaggeration in many of them. One that got me was "holding up my precious shopping time."
I thought to myself, I am retired just like many of you. I have a lot of time up my sleeve. Not like it is a life and death situation if I get delayed here or there. Some of these comments I am sure come from impatient people. 🙄 🙄 :(:(

Reactions: Veggiepatch

View attachment 31758

Key Takeaways

I do agree that it really is in a backward place. As others have said we have to walk all over the place to "check out". I actually witnessed one customer brazenly work out the store with a very large item while the entrance was unattended. When I told a staff member they just shugged their shoulders and said there was nothing that they could do about it. Bring the counters back to the front and theft would be reduced

View attachment 31758

Key Takeaways

Everything old is new again?

When they first put this stupid set up in the store I said it was crazy and I have been proven correct. I also hate the Customer Service back at the back of the store as well. The number of times I have gone there and the desk is unmanned and I have to press the buzzer and wait and wait for someone to make their way their drives me nuts.
I hate the customer service too,there is never anyone there and and having to press the buzzer a few times to get service.

There will never be system that everyone agrees with. It seems that being negative and critical is the new norm. These stores try to make the experience acceptable for most people but it wont ever happen. And I dont like the central register system either, but that's their business to try new ideas. We need to be more flexible and not so hung up on unnecessary things.

Its about bloody time they woke up to the stupidity of their choice..It no way stops shop lifters as merchandise can still be hidden just like before, there can be no serious reason for the stupidity of the current placement...Change cant come quick enough..."Save the pain of the elderly walking extra miles"

View attachment 31758

Key Takeaways

I really hated the checkout in the middle of the store (in the past tense as I stopped shopping there for that reason). So many times I have paid for an item and in my way out I see something else that I like, but stopped buying it/them as there was no way I would queue up again at the cashiers. I would rather go without it. It is about time that they change it back to how it was before, less shop lifting and more shopping for customers. I am sure I am not the only one who don't buy some things as they don't want to queue up again.

What was the logic in moving them to the centre of the store, in the first place?. Glad some sense seems to be prevailing even if it is a ‘trial’ and in only one store at present.
Almost every store had checkouts at the front, ‘manned by staff’, in years gone by.

I hate the customer service too,there is never anyone there and and having to press the buzzer a few times to get service.
Am betting you don't really "press the buzzer a few times to get service".

View attachment 31758

Key Takeaways

Check outs in the center of the store is stupid. designed by an idiot.

View attachment 31758

Key Takeaways

Howdy All,

The K-Mart, that I have used, since we moved here in 2000, is the one at the Victoria Point Shopping Centre in S.E. Queensland. It has ALWAYS had it's checkout at the entrance/exit doorway. It has been like that since the place was built, as I understand.

Forklift,
Redland, Qld.