Kmart Shoppers in Uproar After TikTok Exposes 'Ridiculous' Store Detail

Kmart is an essential shopping destination for many Aussies, but lately, the store has been copping flak for a 'ridiculous' policy that has absolutely baffled customers.

We bet that many of you have experienced the frustrating situation of not being able to leave a store without also having to deal with a staff member asking you to review your receipt…

This process has long been implemented at Kmart stores as part of the company's policy, and apparently, it's caused quite a bit of frustration among customers who no longer feel that they have any privacy when exiting the store.

It should be noted that the rule was introduced along with the implementation of a new standard store layout back in 2017 which saw the checkouts moved to an area that customers could no longer easily access (or see).

While the change has been in place for almost 6 years and many customers are already accustomed to it, a TikTok video revived their resentment of the 'new' policy.

Aussie TikTokerMille Ford has recently raised the issue of Kmart’s often ‘ridiculous’ store layout on social media, sharing a clip of her imitating Kmart workers who check customer receipts as they exit the store.

In the clip, she was seen standing, looking bored as she checked the receipts being shown by the customers to her.

The clip went viral, amassing over 1.3 million likes and 47,000 comments.

Several viewers agreed that the portrayal was so accurate and that they felt the same 'annoying' feeling they felt whenever they passed by a staff member to have their receipts checked.

One person wrote: 'As someone who did the door shift at Kmart, this is so accurate.'

'The most spot-on thing I've ever witnessed,' another added.

A third agreed: 'WOW… you are a good mimic.'

034b8da0-9d24-11ed-bf2b-47d0f8f61782

A TikTok clip has reignited the 'annoyance' that many shoppers felt over the changes in Kmart's store layout. Credit: TikTok/@Millie.

The clip also brought back anger about the store layout, with some of the shoppers commenting about how unnecessary the placement of the checkout is.

One user asked: 'Honestly, whose idea was that? Was the person high when they suggested that?'

'Most ridiculous store layout decision ever!' another raised.

Some shoppers took the opportunity to mock Kmart and pointed out that the rule of checking the receipts should have never been put in place if the layout hadn't been modified.

'They could have just left the checkouts at the front of the shop,' one person wrote in the comments section.

Another added, 'I've pretty much lost the receipt somewhere in my bags by the time I get to the door!'

Many customers also claimed that their local Kmart store employees never carefully check their receipts upon leaving and suggested that some of them even handed over Woolworths, JB Hi-Fi, and old Kmart receipts by mistake.

Meanwhile, others pointed out that the layout change might have been done to encourage customers to 'see more stuff on their way out' and influence them to purchase more.

'I legitimately believe they did this so anxious people would buy something small so they wouldn't feel like a criminal walking out,' one user went on to say.

Customer engagement is an integral factor for retailers, as it can directly impact a store’s bottom line. A significant change that has to be taken into account when assessing store design is how shoppers are likely to feel, as this has a direct bearing on how likely they are to make a purchase.

For Kmart shoppers, having to queue at the back of the store in order to pay could mean that they are less likely to purchase additional items on their way out, or are more prone to feeling anxious or annoyed before they even reach the checkout.

The placement of checkouts at a store has a huge influence on customer engagement, as it can affect consumer behaviour and shopping patterns.

Studies have found that when checkout counters are placed at the back of a store, customers are more likely to travel the full length of the store and be exposed to more products on sale thus increasing their chances of making additional or impulse purchases.

Considering the popularity of Mille Ford’s video, it is apparent that Kmart customers remain frustrated about the current store layout.

It undoubtedly has affected customer engagement, as it can taint the overall shopping experience and even discourage customers from returning to their local store.

Despite the criticisms, many Kmart customers asserted that they are still lovers of the store and will continue to shop there.

'If I need it, Kmart is my go-to, and I have no issues. They give you the receipt regardless – no check-out required, unlike all bigger stores now,' one customer wrote in a post explaining why they still love Kmart.

'I love Kmart and always have, embarrassing or not. They generally have good prices, and I can find most things much cheaper there than other major stores,' another said.

Key Takeaways

• A popular Aussie TikToker has poked fun at the ‘ridiculous’ layout of Kmart stores and mimicked the behaviour of door staff.
  • Many shoppers have been angered since the layout change was rolled out in 2017.
  • Many mocked the entire process of checking receipts upon exit and speculated it was designed to get customers to purchase more.
  • Several customers recently noticed a new practice where their receipt was scanned when exiting the store.

What are your thoughts, folks? Is it reasonable for Kmart staff to check customers' receipts as they leave the store or is this practice just another unnecessary inconvenience we have to deal with? Let's discuss in the comments!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I don't know , the ones at my store kmart Roselands never check receipts, they never look bored.

They always greet you and say have a nice day as you leave.

They are always talking to customers who are either asking where something is or even where another store is

Kmart is an essential shopping destination for many Aussies, but lately, the store has been copping flak for a 'ridiculous' policy that has absolutely baffled customers.

We bet that many of you have experienced the frustrating situation of not being able to leave a store without also having to deal with a staff member asking you to review your receipt…

This process has long been implemented at Kmart stores as part of the company's policy, and apparently, it's caused quite a bit of frustration among customers who no longer feel that they have any privacy when exiting the store.

It should be noted that the rule was introduced along with the implementation of a new standard store layout back in 2017 which saw the checkouts moved to an area that customers could no longer easily access (or see).

While the change has been in place for almost 6 years and many customers are already accustomed to it, a TikTok video revived their resentment of the 'new' policy.

Aussie TikTokerMille Ford has recently raised the issue of Kmart’s often ‘ridiculous’ store layout on social media, sharing a clip of her imitating Kmart workers who check customer receipts as they exit the store.

In the clip, she was seen standing, looking bored as she checked the receipts being shown by the customers to her.

Several viewers agreed that the portrayal was so accurate and that they felt the same 'annoying' feeling they felt whenever they passed by a staff member to have their receipts checked.

One person wrote: 'As someone who did the door shift at Kmart, this is so accurate.'

A TikTok clip has reignited the 'annoyance' that many shoppers felt over the changes in Kmart's store layout. Credit: TikTok/@Millie.

The clip also brought back anger about the store layout, with some of the shoppers commenting about how unnecessary the placement of the checkout is.

One user asked: 'Honestly, whose idea was that? Was the person high when they suggested that?'

Some shoppers took the opportunity to mock Kmart and pointed out that the rule of checking the receipts should have never been put in place if the layout hadn't been modified.

'They could have just left the checkouts at the front of the shop,' one person wrote in the comments section.

Another added, 'I've pretty much lost the receipt somewhere in my bags by the time I get to the door!'

Many customers also claimed that their local Kmart store employees never carefully check their receipts upon leaving and suggested that some of them even handed over Woolworths, JB Hi-Fi, and old Kmart receipts by mistake.

Meanwhile, others pointed out that the layout change might have been done to encourage customers to 'see more stuff on their way out' and influence them to purchase more.

'I legitimately believe they did this so anxious people would buy something small so they wouldn't feel like a criminal walking out,' one user went on to say.

Customer engagement is an integral factor for retailers, as it can directly impact a store’s bottom line. A significant change that has to be taken into account when assessing store design is how shoppers are likely to feel, as this has a direct bearing on how likely they are to make a purchase.

For Kmart shoppers, having to queue at the back of the store in order to pay could mean that they are less likely to purchase additional items on their way out, or are more prone to feeling anxious or annoyed before they even reach the checkout.

The placement of checkouts at a store has a huge influence on customer engagement, as it can affect consumer behaviour and shopping patterns.

Studies have found that when checkout counters are placed at the back of a store, customers are more likely to travel the full length of the store and be exposed to more products on sale thus increasing their chances of making additional or impulse purchases.

Considering the popularity of Mille Ford’s video, it is apparent that Kmart customers remain frustrated about the current store layout.

It undoubtedly has affected customer engagement, as it can taint the overall shopping experience and even discourage customers from returning to their local store.

Despite the criticisms, many Kmart customers asserted that they are still lovers of the store and will continue to shop there.

'If I need it, Kmart is my go-to, and I have no issues. They give you the receipt regardless – no check-out required, unlike all bigger stores now,' one customer wrote in a post explaining why they still love Kmart.

'I love Kmart and always have, embarrassing or not. They generally have good prices, and I can find most things much cheaper there than other major stores,' another said.

Key Takeaways

A popular Aussie TikToker has poked fun at the ‘ridiculous’ layout of Kmart stores and mimicked the behaviour of door staff.
Many shoppers have been angered since the layout change was rolled out in 2017.
Many mocked the entire process of checking receipts upon exit and speculated it was designed to get customers to purchase more.
Several customers recently noticed a new practice where their receipt was scanned when exiting the store.

What are your thoughts, folks? Is it reasonable for Kmart staff to check customers' receipts as they leave the store or is this practice just another unnecessary inconvenience we have to deal with? Let's discuss in the comments!

My local Kmart stores have friendly people standing at the front. For goodness sake they get paid for it and so they should be.
When the check out layout altered, I instantly thought it was due to customer's stealing which is a huge issue.
I was at Best and Less last week and I saw a young girl walking out with a handful of clothing.
There was a staff member standing near me. She saw it too, and said that at least it was stolen from the reduced stand.

Key Takeaways

• A popular Aussie TikToker has poked fun at the ‘ridiculous’ layout of Kmart stores and mimicked the behaviour of door staff.
  • Many shoppers have been angered since the layout change was rolled out in 2017.
  • Many mocked the entire process of checking receipts upon exit and speculated it was designed to get customers to purchase more.
  • Several customers recently noticed a new practice where their receipt was scanned when exiting the store.
Costco does this and no one has any problem with it.

https://tools.seniorsdiscountclub.com.au/articles/2991/step-5/11383/

I have stopped going to kmart due to having to walk what feels like miles to a person with mobility issues through the shop to find the checkouts; it is just too difficult.

• Sad
Reactions: carosb13

Key Takeaways

I don't see what the fuss is about. Most shops these days have a person on the door to check your bag and ask for a docket if needed. Making a fool of someone who is just trying to do the job they were asked to do is, in my opinion unnecessary. The people on the door at my local Kmart are extremely friendly and polite. I do agree that the layout with the checkouts in the middle of the shop is not the best idea, don't understand the rationale behind that. Cheers!

My local Kmart stores have friendly people standing at the front. For goodness sake they get paid for it and so they should be.
When the check out layout altered, I instantly thought it was due to customer's stealing which is a huge issue.
I was at Best and Less last week and I saw a young girl walking out with a handful of clothing.
There was a staff member standing near me. She saw it too, and said that at least it was stolen from the reduced stand.
😮

Reactions: Ricci

Key Takeaways

I do like KMart for their low prices, but I do get frustrated with the checkout being where it is. I always find myself having to walk further to get to it and as it is placed awkwardly. It is a stupid place to put it. Then to have to keep receipt handy when exiting. I do not think they have ever really checked my receipt, they just glance at it and some often don't bother doing that. The video is spot on.

It does make me wonder who comes up with these layouts, but sometimes there is logic to it, maybe. I dont have a problem showing my receipt as I leave. The constant complaint that there are less and less jobs in store makes this reasonable there is one at the door. It would be a very boring job but I havent had any problems with leaving my Kmart. And if I have nothing to feel guilty about then why would I? You pay to use Costco and they take the receipt and do a check of your trolley. No one seems to be complaining about that.

They have made it so much easier for the dishonest to steal. More fool them.
There will never be a way to stop stealing. It is some people's right, they think. But is does make those who are sometimes tempted to think twice. We should just do our own thing and leave the worrying to the management of the stores. There job is not easy.

Key Takeaways

After lining up to pay for my items in the middle of the store the last thing I want to do, if I find something else on my way out, is to go back and line up again to pay for more. So I just don't bother with an extra purchase. If the checkouts were at the entry/exit, where they used to be, then I would probably buy that extra item on my way out. It's not Rocket Science Kmart it's just common sense.

I had a friend who worked I n another big name store and the amount of shoplifting was unbelievable so I can totally understand why KMart does it. And the self-serve system is open slather for those who have no morals or conscious. We pay for those who do that. Sad we have to wear that cost in money and time getting checked.

Key Takeaways

Key Takeaways

If it helps to stop shoplifting, then it's a good thing, as that costs all of us.

How can it help stop shop lifting. People here have said themselves they have shown other dockets besides k-marts dockets and not even noticed. I seen a lady once on her way out put a pair of shoes in her bag after she had bought things and just walked out after showing docket that did not have shoes on it. I bet things like that happen a lot as can still walk around store after purchasing and then just stick it in the same bag as purchases and walk out. They are not allowed to put their hands in your bags as you own those items now and also a slippery slope that something could be slipped into your bag. Security guards are not allowed to put their hands in your bag also but can ask you to empty it out. Whether you do or not is up to you as you can just keep walking. Only person you have to answer to is the Police. A family member does Security.

Considering you have usually done most of the checkout process yourself - and had to stand there waiting for a staff member to reset your self checkout several times due to it : not liking your self provided bag / item too light to register when packed / item not recognised / item scanned at wrong price … it’s as if they don’t trust you and then you have to “prove” your purchases 🙄
For this process to actually work, they also need to check your items against your receipt, which if course - they don’t 😏