Jim Chalmers delivers a grim outlook to struggling pensioners

Considering the progressive surge in the cost of living lately, it’s only right that we are all looking to the future with the hope of seeing a promising outlook. While many are rejoicing at possible wage growth, there are others whose situation has worsened.

Many pensioners are going through the motions every single day, barely able to scrape by. It’s anxiety-inducing and it shouldn’t be happening.

Fiona, who was in the live audience with other pensioners for Treasurer Jim Chalmers' post-budget Q+A appearance on Thursday night, asked if there was anything she could do to help herself overcome her dire financial circumstances, as she struggles with the surging cost of living.

‘With non-discretionary items rising faster than CPI indexation, welfare recipients like myself are meant to be grateful for (the rise to indexation). What essentials should I be cutting from my budget?’

As part of the routine indexation, the Age, Carer and Disability Support Pensioners will receive a $38.90 increase in the fortnightly allowance for single people and $58.80 for each couple.

b3e35dd1b482f0aa11a4847b3edcf65e

After asking the Treasurer what necessities she should forego, a retiree with $20 in her bank account received a grim response. Credit: ABC.

But Fiona expressed that it was still not enough, saying: 'It’s all falling behind. I’m playing catch up.'

The question left Chalmers stumped, as he explained that the government needed to be careful not to make things worse as they straddled a fine line between making sure the economy is okay and guaranteeing that people can still manage.

'The best thing we can do is try and address inflation. That’s what the budget was about,' he explained.

'But I don’t want to pretend to Fiona or to anyone in Fiona’s position that the budget nine nights ago fixed all of these challenges.'

'I do need to be upfront with all of you about the nature of this challenge that we are confronting right now.'

'And our best contribution to this problem is being restrained in our spending.'

Chalmers also emphasised that the government's first budget was 'simple', but as the cost of essentials continues to outpace the growth of welfare payments, is it really 'bread and butter' for struggling Australian households?

Due to the rising cost of living, many Australians are struggling to get by, and some are even falling into deeper financial crises.

It should also be noted that during the online broadcast, Stan Grant, the Q+A host, noticed that Fiona's question focused more on the difficult decisions she was having to make.

For example, she said that she had to choose between getting her eyes checked or seeing a doctor because her GP no longer offered bulk billing.

This observation prompted him to call on Chalmers for more in-depth advice.

However, Chalmers declined to provide Fiona with a direct response. Instead, he said that he recognised the challenges faced by Fiona and others in her situation.

'The cost of living is going through the roof, and that has a disproportionate impact on the most vulnerable amongst us, and we understand that,' he added.

'My responsibility to you, Fiona, and to the whole country, is to try and take the right economic decisions, to make sure we are not making inflation worse.'

According to Chalmers, this year's inflation is expected to continue to worsen before peaking.

'Nobody has a perfect crystal ball,' he remarked.

'But the expectations of the Reserve Bank and the Treasury is that this inflation challenge will get a bit worse until the end of the year.'

'The main thing I can do here – the worst thing that could happen for Fiona and for people around Australia – is if we let this inflation get out of control… That’s what I’m trying to avoid.'

In a later statement, Chalmers claimed that he planned to present a 'costed plan with detail' to address the rise in energy prices before Christmas.

He said that the government was thinking about using price controls, subsidies, and taxes but that it would prefer to use regulation.

He said: 'We have a little more work to do on this… But I want to reassure people that we know that electricity price rises are… Intensifying.'

Key Takeaways

• Age pensioners are struggling to keep up with the cost of living, and are having to make tough choices about which essentials to go without.
  • Jim Chalmers is struggling to offer hope to pensioners, as he warns inflation is just going to get worse and the government has to straddle a fine line or risk negatively impacting the situation.
  • He says the best thing the government can do to try and address inflation is to be restrained in their spending.

Pensions are a crucial, staple part of Australians' finances here in the country. Many Australians rely, at least somewhat, on their pension payments to get by and to keep their heads above water financially.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think the government should implement price caps and subsidies to ease the burden of soaring utility prices? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
How's this for a relatively simple solution? Every damn cent and dollar spent on foreign aid should be used to assist Australians on a pension. Pretty easy, really. Why are we giving money to Indonesia? Why are we giving money to other countries around the world? Stop doing that - the money belongs to Australians, not people who benefit while our own suffer in money misery. I know that foreign aid is paid so that we can have ears and eyes on the ground and keep a watch for what countries are doing (it's certainly not alturistic), but we can have ears and eyes on the ground without all the damn money being given away. Australians first.

Reactions: Ricci
Considering the progressive surge in the cost of living lately, it’s only right that we are all looking to the future with the hope of seeing a promising outlook. While many are rejoicing at possible wage growth, there are others whose situation has worsened.

Many pensioners are going through the motions every single day, barely able to scrape by. It’s anxiety-inducing and it shouldn’t be happening.

Fiona, who was in the live audience with other pensioners for Treasurer Jim Chalmers' post-budget Q+A appearance on Thursday night, asked if there was anything she could do to help herself overcome her dire financial circumstances, as she struggles with the surging cost of living.

‘With non-discretionary items rising faster than CPI indexation, welfare recipients like myself are meant to be grateful for (the rise to indexation). What essentials should I be cutting from my budget?’

As part of the routine indexation, the Age, Carer and Disability Support Pensioners will receive a $38.90 increase in the fortnightly allowance for single people and $58.80 for each couple.

After asking the Treasurer what necessities she should forego, a retiree with $20 in her bank account received a grim response. Credit: ABC.

But Fiona expressed that it was still not enough, saying: 'It’s all falling behind. I’m playing catch up.'

The question left Chalmers stumped, as he explained that the government needed to be careful not to make things worse as they straddled a fine line between making sure the economy is okay and guaranteeing that people can still manage.

'The best thing we can do is try and address inflation. That’s what the budget was about,' he explained.

'But I don’t want to pretend to Fiona or to anyone in Fiona’s position that the budget nine nights ago fixed all of these challenges.'

'I do need to be upfront with all of you about the nature of this challenge that we are confronting right now.'

'And our best contribution to this problem is being restrained in our spending.'

Chalmers also emphasised that the government's first budget was 'simple', but as the cost of essentials continues to outpace the growth of welfare payments, is it really 'bread and butter' for struggling Australian households?

Due to the rising cost of living, many Australians are struggling to get by, and some are even falling into deeper financial crises.

It should also be noted that during the online broadcast, Stan Grant, the Q+A host, noticed that Fiona's question focused more on the difficult decisions she was having to make.

For example, she said that she had to choose between getting her eyes checked or seeing a doctor because her GP no longer offered bulk billing.

However, Chalmers declined to provide Fiona with a direct response. Instead, he said that he recognised the challenges faced by Fiona and others in her situation.

'The cost of living is going through the roof, and that has a disproportionate impact on the most vulnerable amongst us, and we understand that,' he added.

'My responsibility to you, Fiona, and to the whole country, is to try and take the right economic decisions, to make sure we are not making inflation worse.'

According to Chalmers, this year's inflation is expected to continue to worsen before peaking.

'But the expectations of the Reserve Bank and the Treasury is that this inflation challenge will get a bit worse until the end of the year.'

'The main thing I can do here – the worst thing that could happen for Fiona and for people around Australia – is if we let this inflation get out of control… That’s what I’m trying to avoid.'

In a later statement, Chalmers claimed that he planned to present a 'costed plan with detail' to address the rise in energy prices before Christmas.

He said that the government was thinking about using price controls, subsidies, and taxes but that it would prefer to use regulation.

He said: 'We have a little more work to do on this… But I want to reassure people that we know that electricity price rises are… Intensifying.'

Key Takeaways

• Age pensioners are struggling to keep up with the cost of living, and are having to make tough choices about which essentials to go without.
  • Jim Chalmers is struggling to offer hope to pensioners, as he warns inflation is just going to get worse and the government has to straddle a fine line or risk negatively impacting the situation.
  • He says the best thing the government can do to try and address inflation is to be restrained in their spending.

Pensions are a crucial, staple part of Australians' finances here in the country. Many Australians rely, at least somewhat, on their pension payments to get by and to keep their heads above water financially.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think the government should implement price caps and subsidies to ease the burden of soaring utility prices? Let us know your thoughts

Key Takeaways

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think the government should implement price caps and subsidies to ease the burden of soaring utility prices? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

It would be a blessing to be able to live a normal life,have the normal luxury of birthday,Xmas and to get by each fortnight. I know longer know what it is like to go on a holiday,and to have a bank account.The price of medication and food etc I feel for all of us,isn’t it supposed to be a pleasure to grow older and to enjoy life and it’s little normal daily luxuries.Christine L

I absolutely know how the seniors are struggling, I help out at a food bank and I experience this situation with the seniors and single mother as well the pensioner most of the time have to choose to buy their medication or to buy food which is so sad, I hope this situation could be resolved in a wise way.
Yazmin

I am tired of pensioners and families getting all the help - has the govt. ever heard of self funded retirees.I have no pension no job and now no super. Also no help!! We are the new class of poor. Stop funding child care - years ago if one had kids one looked after them and didn't expect everyone else to do the job! Those getting child care help are earning fortunes!! and must be laughing all the way to the bank!

Reactions: relljube and Ricci
I agree with you there Rita, I was on level 3 and after an assessment moved to level 4. FEES CHANGED FROM APPROX. $600 TO NEARLY 1000 FOR MANAGEMENT. In fact the more you get the more providers take, so is it really for pensioners. It seems it goes in one hand and out the other. It all looks good in theory but reality is so different.

So
They have to put a cap on electricity, the difference between my last 2 bills was just over $200.

I have been on Jobseeker for the past 18 months due to an operation that went terribly wrong in which I have need 2 more surgeries
It has left me in pain and very depress and anxious and there is no way I am fit to work..

Since being on jobseeker I've had to really tighten our belt and with all these rises in utilities and food I'm now seeing what people on welfare go through.
I always thought welfare recipients have it too good, why would they work. I now see there is no way anyone could survive for too long on these payments which then goes on to homelessness.
I think the government needs to stop sending so much money overseas and start helping people in our own country and I don't mean just handouts .
So sorry to hear your story Suzanne, what an awful predicament to be in at this time of rising prices - we just have to keep putting 1 foot in front of the other and keep on keeping on. I hope you can find a helping hand soon. 🕊️

NDIS is not available for pensioners, you have to go through My Aged Care for a welfare package. Help is available, they come and assess your needs. You may have to make a co-payment, (I pay $12.50 per hour for home help and have someone call in for an hour and a half each week). It's not enough time but it's all I can afford.:)
My husband and I are disabled pensioners. Too old for NDIS. We have received a My Aged Care package and it has been such a blessing for us both. We had plans in the past to go on a cruise or camping holidays, but due to our health we can't see those dreams fulfilled. We have learnt to make do with our lot, and appreciate the My Aged Care support. We've had to cut down our weekly spend, and juggle the paying of utilities accounts. Just going out for a meal is a real treat now.

ABSOLUTELY 💯. It all looks like we are on a good luck trail but that's only on paper. I appreciate every bit of help I get. It's the people in the background holding out their hands, putting up their prices, and you look down at your own hand and feel very Deflated 🥴🥴

So many folk are really struggling through no fault of their own.
I'm in that group also, I have not had a holiday since 1993.
After my husband tried to destroy me, I existed on the Disability Pension, now on the Aged Pension.
I am paying off a huge Family Court bill, which cuts my pension in half.
There's no eating out, no takeaways, no going out for coffees, no theatre or movies, no treats.
When I had breast cancer, my GP told me it was time to pamper myself.
I was devastated, as she was aware of my situation. I was struggling physically, and sole parent to my then 16-year-old son.
When a Friend's group I belong to goes out for Christmas in July, I don't go.
When they go out in December for a Christmas lunch, I don't go.
I go to a Doctor who bulk bills.
I am part of the Clinics at a large Melbourne public hospital.....waiting years for urgent surgery.
Clean clothes, a smile and being frugal hide lots of pain.
I live within my means....I pay my bills first, food comes next, and there's never anything for niceties.....only the necessities.

I agree, people on any sort of welfare payments are living well below the poverty line. I am approaching 70 but still work 20 hours a week as we simply cannot live on the pension. My husband is retired and due to health issues can’t work. He is in his mid 70s. We haven’t had a holiday since 2016 and unlikely to have any more. We very rarely buy takeaway, on our birthdays if we can afford it, never eat out or go out for a coffee even, can’t afford to go to a show or movie. We own our home from years of hard work and scrimping so are luckier than a lot of people, but still have rates, water bills to pay. We are of the generation where for a good part of our early working lives super did not exist, so we don’t have huge amounts of super to help us, and if we draw too much at once along comes Centrelink and cuts our part pensions to make sure we don’t have enough money to treat ourselves. Oh, but we can downsize our house, well why should we after all the work we have put into it, surely we should be allowed to have some time enjoying living in it. I expect to work until I drop off the perch as I can’t see how I can ever afford to retire.
My husband still works full time in a labour intensive job, he turned 69 a few weeks ao and we are both grateful that he is still healthy enough to do this ,I cannot work to support us further any more as my own health has rapidly gone down hill in the last few years, We do not own our home but the mortgage we do have is quite low, we are hoping that we can still afford the repayments when my husband needs to quit working, which will happen eventually as he is not immortal. We are both of the generation that did not have superannuation for the whole of our working lives so there is no large nest egg waiting for us. With my husband still working and in a low to middle income range I might add, Services Australia have said I cannot get a pension or even a health care card To help with expenses for my needed medication, because apparently he earns too much. At our age once my husband retires, we are looking at a very bleak few years before we both drop off the perch.

• Sad
As a pensioner renting, I have found that I am comparatively well off, I buy at Aldi so my money goes further I also buy all my meat each fortnight instead of buying from the pig farm I used to buy from. For less than a third of the farm box which was perhaps 5 meals, I can buy meat to feed 3 & sometimes 4 people for 15 meals & have at least one meal in case of emergencies. I also plan my doctor's visits for a pension day so I know the money is in the bank for the fee. Planning is key! Mind you luxuries are a thing of the past although I buy chocolate each fortnight from Aldi, their European chocolate tastes so much better than ours.

Key Takeaways

Stan Grant as a Liberal mouthpiece has in my humble opinion very little credibility in any discussion. The new Labor Treasurer does appear to have a good grasp of the bigger picture, sadly he has inherited an empty purse after the last 9 years of rorts, it will take some time to slow down this runaway economy, even longer to reverse it. The many of us that struggle have much to whinge about, however as we are the older generation we just get stuff done, we are tough and we survive, we may not be having a great deal of fun in our senior years, however I for one am happier to have a real treasurer holding the purse rather than one of the previous grifters. Inflation is a nasty way of eroding our buying power, so it requires controlling, Chalmers understands that, so do I, so we soldier on and wait for better days.

Since I married,40+ years ago,I’ve prepaid both my gas and electricity and I’ve never,ever had to find money to pay each quarterly bill as it’s came in. This month,for the first time ever,not only had I used up whatever credit was in my gas but I had to pay a further $200.00 to them! So,going by previous accounts,my gas bounced by over $500.00. No wonder pensioners are going to the wall. I’m dreading my electricity bill.

Since I married,40+ years ago,I’ve prepaid both my gas and electricity and I’ve never,ever had to find money to pay each quarterly bill as it’s came in. This month,for the first time ever,not only had I used up whatever credit was in my gas but I had to pay a further $200.00 to them! So,going by previous accounts,my gas bounced by over $500.00. No wonder pensioners are going to the wall. I’m dreading my electricity bill.
I too always paid for my electricity and gas on a fortnightly payment plan to avoid bill shock. The best thing I have done in recent years was to get solar. For the first year of having it I still paid a nominal $10 per fortnight into the account but since then I have been in an increasing credit. I export far more to the grid than I use, I use all my appliances during the day using my own electricity so at night there's only one light and the TV to use their electricity. It has been by far one of the best purchases I have ever made and has already paid for itself as I haven't had to actually pay Origin anything for the past 4 years!:)

I too always paid for my electricity and gas on a fortnightly payment plan to avoid bill shock. The best thing I have done in recent years was to get solar. For the first year of having it I still paid a nominal $10 per fortnight into the account but since then I have been in an increasing credit. I export far more to the grid than I use, I use all my appliances during the day using my own electricity so at night there's only one light and the TV to use their electricity. It has been by far one of the best purchases I have ever made and has already paid for itself as I haven't had to actually pay Origin anything for the past 4 years!:)
We also have solar, have had it 9 years now, recently paid $268 for a full inspection of the system, the report was - alls well, good condition. When I spoke to the tech while he was on our roof, he said we should be good for another 10-15 years, so hopefully it will see me out. Our bills are small, it appears to have been a good investment and the savings have paid for it.

Key Takeaways

I seem to manage my pension ok. I shop for thr fortnight at a cost of about$160. All my bills are organised to come out as direct debit. I think some financial training may be needed to be helpful.

Sorry but why are we paying so much, if anything, for childcare when they are not our children. I am 69 years old and choose to continue to work full time to try and preserve my mental faculties. At 17 and one of the swinging 60's people, I suffered through a disastrous and abusive "shotgun marriage". I was a single parent at age 19! Never married again but worked full time since then and managed to private school my child through to Uni. No handouts, unpaid maintenance by father, no childcare - I just had to manage. In 50 years of working, I certainly have paid my fair share of taxes only to see them squandered on people who did not want to work, others who abused the system and in the past few years, paid for other peoples' children to attend child care. Why in this day and age when it is so difficult for pensioners to make ends meet, is the Govt still increasing childcare handouts only for the childcare centres to increase their profits? It is certainly not going into increased wages for the personnel.
Australia's economy has been highjacked by the minority socialist lefties to the detriment of the majority of the people. Nothing we can do to right this wrong now. We voted in a socialist government and now have to wear it. I am employed in the building industry which has seen a severe downturn since Labor won power. This happens every time Labor wins - private industry loses confidence in the general economy. We are in for a lot more pain over the next few years so tighten your belts folks we're in for a bumpy ride.