Is your wallet about to become obsolete? Discover when Australia plans to go completely cashless

As the digital age accelerates, Australia is on the brink of a significant financial transformation.

Experts predict that by the end of this decade, the nation will become 'functionally cashless', a shift that is stirring concern among Australians.

With the closure of hundreds of bank branches and ATMs, a recent study revealed that 71 per cent of Aussies are apprehensive about transitioning to a cashless society, with 41 per cent expressing extreme concern.

The research by payments technology company Waave highlighted that Baby Boomers, regional Australians, and lower-income households are the most anxious about this change.

compressed-online-payment-security-concept-3d-phone-bill.jpeg
A study showed that 41 per cent of Australians expressed extreme concern about moving towards a cashless society. Image source: Freepik

The fear is not unfounded, as two-thirds of Australians worry that going cashless could marginalise certain groups and worsen economic inequality.

Additionally, 58 per cent are concerned about the potential rise in banking and card fees.

Waave's Co-Founder and CEO, Ben Zyl, acknowledged that Australians are among the world's leading adopters of digital payments. However, he also recognised the legitimate fears surrounding consumer security and control within the current digital payments system.

Data theft, password complications, and exorbitant card fees and surcharges are at the forefront of these concerns.

‘There’s a lot of fear, particularly among those who can’t access alternatives or aren’t confident using technology,’ Mr Zyl stated.

The sentiment of 'cash nostalgia' is also prevalent, with nearly half of Aussies admitting they would miss the tactile experience of handling physical money.

He added: ‘Whether you’re younger or older, the psychology around cash is unique. We like the feel of it, the sense of control, and we tend to spend less when we pay in cash.’

Despite these concerns, the Reserve Bank's data indicated a decline in cash usage. Consumer cash payments plummeted from 70 per cent in 2007 to a mere 13 per cent in 2022.

In contrast, Australians made 30.2 million ATM withdrawals in January, the highest in a year, withdrawing over $9 billion, the largest amount since mid-2020.

Dr Angel Zhong, an Associate Professor of Finance at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT), expects Australia to be functionally cashless by 2030.

This doesn't mean cash will vanish or lose its value; rather, consumer preference is increasingly leaning towards digital payments.

The transition is already in motion, reflecting a broader trend in consumer behaviour.

Professor Zhong is not alone in this sentiment. Finance Expert Sarah Wells also predicted that Australia will become a 'technically cashless' society in the near future.

‘All the changes we have seen have put us in a situation where we no longer need cash,’ she said.

‘There hasn’t been a requirement for it to come back out into circulation. Because people aren’t popping down and taking money out of the ATM or going to banks anymore,’ Ms Wells added.

The closure of 424 bank branches and the removal of 718 ATMs in the 12 months leading up to June 2023 further underscore this shift.

Despite this, the Big Four banks—Commonwealth, Westpac, Australian and New Zealand Banking Group (ANZ), and National Australia Bank (NAB)—have stated they will not go completely cashless.

As we navigate this transition, it's essential to consider the implications for all Australians, especially those who may not be as tech-savvy or who rely on cash for various reasons.

The move towards a cashless society promises convenience and efficiency but demands a thoughtful approach to ensure inclusivity and security.
Key Takeaways
  • Most Australians are concerned about the shift towards a cashless society, with research showing that 71 per cent of them are worried about the implications.
  • Concerns include the exclusion of certain demographics, exacerbation of economic inequality, and increased banking and card fees.
  • Waave, a payments technology company, highlighted that Baby Boomers, regional Australians, and lower-income households are the most anxious about this change.
  • Data from the Reserve Bank of Australia indicates a decline in cash use for consumer payments, dropping from 70 per cent in 2007 to 13 per cent in 2022, signalling a trend towards digital payment options.
How do you feel about the move towards a cashless society? Are you ready for the shift, or do you have reservations? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
The worst thing that started all this is the Government's decision back in the 80's to allow Employers to pay you by Bank Transfer instead of Cash . They loved it and the Banks loved it because the Employers saved heaps of money not having to employ Staff to count out and hand out the wages and also saving on Security to deliver the money and the Banks instantly gained millions of customers because you had to have a Bank Account to get a job ! We all know that's when the Banks started putting fees on everything because we were locked into the system .

Reactions: Liz and Ingot
The worst thing that started all this is the Government's decision back in the 80's to allow Employers to pay you by Bank Transfer instead of Cash . They loved it and the Banks loved it because the Employers saved heaps of money not having to employ Staff to count out and hand out the wages and also saving on Security to deliver the money and the Banks instantly gained millions of customers because you had to have a Bank Account to get a job ! We all know that's when the Banks started putting fees on everything because we were locked into the system .
It was 1972. I think it became operational in 1974.
I was at a Union Meeting in my workplace in Bundaberg.
We had to vote on whether to continue to be paid in cash, or go to the plastic card access.

We were promised there would NEVER, EVER be any bank charge to withdraw our pay, or any money for that matter.

Interesting though, who remembers the tri-coloured "b" logo of the first "BankCard?
Some thought it was the Mark of the Beast - "bbb = 666".

Attachments

• BankCard.PNG
    BankCard.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
APRIL 2nd is "Withdraw Cash Day."

People are being urged to withdraw SOME cash - even if only $20 on this day.
The campaign is being conducted - not to run down cash rserves or anything silly like that, but to indicate to the banks and the RBA, that there are still people who do like to have cash and use it.

The number of transactions should reflect that people do care that cash remains accessible.

We'll be doing it.
Thankyou for the heads up. Wasn't aware of this campaign. WE'LL EACH BE DOING A WITHDRAWL.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!

Reactions: Gsr
OK so my mates three children have a serious question here.
What about THE TOOTH FAIRY ? Does that have to be a card payment? The kids will all go on strike!

Reactions: Ingot and Gsr
I spent an inordinate amount of time yesterday tryung to speak to a human at St George Bank re an email they'd sent me asking me to call them on 133330 re switching 2 of my accounts to low-fee accounts.
I could not get the "chat line" to help (it didn't understand my question). I could not get a human being to speak to and finally all that happened when I rang the number was, it ended the call.
These banks haven't a clue how to manage queries that sit "outside the box" yet they were the ones asking me to contact them!

I now need to ho to a branch to see a human being who, hopefully, can "think outside the square".
Good luck with that, so many staff these days aren’t trained properly and don’t know or understand anything that requires them to think, a lot are like robots, ok at the same type of repetitive job, but unable to cope with anything different.

• Sad
Reactions: Ingot
I am very disgruntled when a 'place of retail business' tells me I have to pay by card and then they charge me extra fees (which are the bank fees for using the card) on top of what they advertise as the price. It is different if I CHOOSE to use card over cash.
I always ask if the bank charges a fee, however, if the retailer was smart he would add the fee to the retail price and make sure the fee does not appear on the docket.

Reactions: Ingot and Gsr
So some “experts” have predicted the end of cash by 2030. I would think that until it becomes illegal to use cash it will still be available. I use a card for big purchases only, I always try to have cash for anything under $150. If I go into a business that won’t accept cash I leave and don’t shop there. There was one business in the town I live in that only accepted cards, they are no longer around, people stopped shopping there, they had a lot of older customers who only used cash who found other places to shop who were happy to take cash. Sent a powerful message to a second shop who were losing business due to their card only policy, they now accept cash as well.

Reactions: Ingot and IAN3005
So some “experts” have predicted the end of cash by 2030. I would think that until it becomes illegal to use cash it will still be available. I use a card for big purchases only, I always try to have cash for anything under $150. If I go into a business that won’t accept cash I leave and don’t shop there. There was one business in the town I live in that only accepted cards, they are no longer around, people stopped shopping there, they had a lot of older customers who only used cash who found other places to shop who were happy to take cash. Sent a powerful message to a second shop who were losing business due to their card only policy, they now accept cash as well.
Good on you and the others..... dive them out of business..... once a retailer steps out of line they never ever get me going back into the shop.... WESTPAC found that out, I had an altercation with them over 40 years ago so I closed my accounts and went elsewhere.

Good on you and the others..... dive them out of business..... once a retailer steps out of line they never ever get me going back into the shop.... WESTPAC found that out, I had an altercation with them over 40 years ago so I closed my accounts and went elsewhere.
Yep.
Step out of line, and you then go to the back of the line.

I also like to deal with businesses who care about their citizenship responsibility or social licence.
Harvey Norman was reportedly given Jobkeeper support of around $22 million. This money was offered to busnesses who expected to lose 50% of turnover due to Covid.

Harvey Norman went on to record a profit of $462 m - up 116% on the previous period.

Have not set foot in the door of a HN store since then, nor used them online.
* HN was shamed into repaying $6mil in 2021.
* Gerry H made some despicable comments about low income people.
* He owns 600 racehorses, and 50% of the Magic Millions corporation.
Nup! Don't support this.

Reactions: IAN3005
Yep.
Step out of line, and you then go to the back of the line.

I also like to deal with businesses who care about their citizenship responsibility or social licence.
Harvey Norman was reportedly given Jobkeeper support of around $22 million. This money was offered to busnesses who expected to lose 50% of turnover due to Covid.

Harvey Norman went on to record a profit of $462 m - up 116% on the previous period.

Have not set foot in the door of a HN store since then, nor used them online.
* HN was shamed into repaying $6mil in 2021.
* Gerry H made some despicable comments about low income people.
* He owns 600 racehorses, and 50% of the Magic Millions corporation.
Nup! Don't support this.
They are all mongrel scam artists.... Luckily I don't shop there.....

Charging a card fee should be illegal as companies claim all bank fees and charges on tax at the end of their financial year. It's double dipping and a financial ombudsman should be able to step in and make a ruling on these 'magical' sleight of hand charges.

I spent an inordinate amount of time yesterday tryung to speak to a human at St George Bank re an email they'd sent me asking me to call them on 133330 re switching 2 of my accounts to low-fee accounts.
I could not get the "chat line" to help (it didn't understand my question). I could not get a human being to speak to and finally all that happened when I rang the number was, it ended the call.
These banks haven't a clue how to manage queries that sit "outside the box" yet they were the ones asking me to contact them!

I now need to ho to a branch to see a human being who, hopefully, can "think outside the square".
St George is part of the WESTAC group so what do expect?
Don't worry just about everyone is moving towards the phone rather than the human interface and the diatribe you have to listen to grates my nerves.
It takes about 15 or more minutes before you get to speak with someone to discover that you are speaking with the wrong person.
The longest I have been kept waiting is 1 hour.

• Angry
Today, it was just as well I could use CASH. As the Internet was down at a certain store where I was buying an item of $180 If they didn`t accept cash I would have just left it and probably would not have bothered at all. Would not have gone to another store. Would have gone without. I think a lot of stores will lose out if this country turns cashless. And what about Charities. They hold stalls to raise money and some items only cost a couple of dollars. They would have to start charging a fee if people kept having to use Credit. Also Market Place, where I have just sold a sofa. Lucky they had cash, as I would not have given out my Bank details to a stranger,

I don't personally have a problem with technology, but I know of a lot of people who struggle. Also, not everyone can afford a fancy phone or a computer to pay their bills online. The apps don't necessarily work on older phones.
My main concern is what happens if the technology goes down, as it did recently, and we can't use cash instead. I also think there should be some form of restriction on how much banks can charge for their fees. They are exorbitant. When the interest rates increase on mortgages, the credit card charges should have to be reduced.

Reactions: Mr Chips

Good luck if you can find a branch

I don't personally have a problem with technology, but I know of a lot of people who struggle. Also, not everyone can afford a fancy phone or a computer to pay their bills online. The apps don't necessarily work on older phones.
My main concern is what happens if the technology goes down, as it did recently, and we can't use cash instead. I also think there should be some form of restriction on how much banks can charge for their fees. They are exorbitant. When the interest rates increase on mortgages, the credit card charges should have to be reduced.
Every transaction by card involves a fee either to the buyer or to the seller, hence the banks are raking it in.
We are looking after our customers, closing more branches, and forcing them to use cards. We are doing them a service so that they don't have to count money. Yes the rear end of a cow.