Is Woolworths duping you with this 'cheeky' new tactic? One customer thinks so!

We all love a good deal, and as members of the Seniors Discount Club, we are quite conscious of prices and the value for money we're getting when purchasing in-store items.

But it looks like one popular supermarket is trying to encourage more customers to sign up for their loyalty scheme with a somewhat 'cheeky' new tactic.

A shopper named Jarrod recently noticed a difference in the price of one of his regular purchases from Woolies–a garlic chicken product that was now only available at a reduced price to those with an Everyday Rewards card.

He said the product had always been ‘2 for $15, ' but he noticed a detail jumping out. For non-members, the price of the same product is $9.50 for each packet.

photo (1).png
Jarrod shared a ‘cheeky’ tactic he noticed at Woolies. Credit: @jarrodsworld/TikTok

'It’s not like it’s additional specials for members. They are replacing specials that already existed,' Jarrod complained on social media.

What’s more, Jarrod also noticed that items in Woolies had exclusive pricing.

‘Just look at the vitamins! All member pricing. And they weren’t even that good, like 2 for $34, 2 for $40. What if I don’t want two? I just want one at half-price,’ he said.

Last month, the retailer rolled out the members-only pricing that gives members of the Everyday Rewards program access to a cheaper price on their items.

Jarrod criticised the supermarket for its tactics–especially when they announced a $1.62 billion profit recently–and said he feels for the elderly customers who don’t know how to use the Everyday Rewards card.

‘What about like the poor old nanas and grandpas that don’t even know how to use the bl**** Everyday Rewards card, let alone sign up for it and get the app and all of that stuff?’ he asked.

'It’s just dodgy, I hate it. Money-grabbing,' he claimed.

Social media users have the same sentiment. One person commented: ‘I honestly think both Coles & Woolies are gonna get done for price gouging pretty soon.’

‘Avoid Woolworths at all costs. We as a community need to make a stand before it gets worse,’ a shopper wrote.

‘It’s basically forcing you to give your shopping data to Woolies and to make it seem like you get something in return, you only pay the normal price,’ a third person claimed.

You can watch Jarrod’s video here:

An Everyday Rewards spokesperson explained that member pricing would be a big focus moving forward, 'We plan to continually evolve our Member Pricing program with more Member Pricing offers to be introduced in the coming weeks.'

Last month, there were reports of shoppers outraged with these changes in Woolworths. Some cited privacy concerns and claimed the program was about ‘data mining and detailed profiles’.

But Consumer Expert Professor Gary Mortimer isn’t concerned: 'Those customers who are up in arms about supermarkets holding their data have possibly been living in a cave for the last 30 years,' he stated.

‘Having a program that's stickier than others works better for a retailer,’ he claimed.

Professor Mortimer added: ‘If you're able to create a program that creates a level of exclusivity and better value for your members, they're more likely to shop with you and stick with you.’

Our SDC members weighed in on this subject. Some saw nothing wrong with Woolies’ latest move.

Member @JKM_Storyteller wrote: ‘I've been a member of various loyalty programs for decades and have never encountered any problems, and certainly nothing that violates my privacy. I don't have to sign my life away, and you don't give them credit card or bank details, and you don't have to give them driver's licence or passport ID, so what's the problem?’

Member @Simplelife shared: ‘I have a rewards card. I don’t shop exclusively at Woolworths. I don’t see a problem with this incentive. It’s free to join. You’re not out of pocket. And having a rewards card as far as privacy is no different to any time you buy with a bank card. We have no privacy from the powers that be. They know more about us than what we buy for dinner. I only joined the rewards this year. I keep an eye out on specials, and yes, I use Woollies if it works for my budget.’

Meanwhile, others took a more cautious approach to supermarket loyalty programs.

‘I don't engage in any loyalty programs, and for no particular reason. However, these programs have a subtle psychology behind them,’ member @Veggiepatch claimed.

‘Some consumers are driven to achieve X number of points to be "rewarded" with their desired prize at the end of the rainbow. As a result, they will overspend, purchasing items that they normally wouldn't or too much. So the Woolies and Coles of this world are rubbing their hands together in anticipation of increased turnover and profit. Don't lie–there's quite a few of you out there guilty of this behaviour,’ they added.

Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer has claimed the supermarket has changed pricing strategies to encourage sign-ups for its Everyday Rewards loyalty scheme.
  • The customer stated that a garlic chicken product he always purchases has increased in price for non-members while remaining the same for Everyday Rewards members.
  • Many customers hesitate to join loyalty schemes due to reluctance to share personal data.
  • Consumer Expert Gary Mortimer emphasised that these loyalty schemes benefit retailers by encouraging shoppers to return.

We highly recommend researching and weighing the benefits of loyalty schemes before signing up for one.

What do you think of this story, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
We all love a good deal, and as members of the Seniors Discount Club, we are quite conscious of prices and the value for money we're getting when purchasing in-store items.

But it looks like one popular supermarket is trying to encourage more customers to sign up for their loyalty scheme with a somewhat 'cheeky' new tactic.

A shopper named Jarrod recently noticed a difference in the price of one of his regular purchases from Woolies–a garlic chicken product that was now only available at a reduced price to those with an Everyday Rewards card.

He said the product had always been ‘2 for $15, ' but he noticed a detail jumping out. For non-members, the price of the same product is $9.50 for each packet.

View attachment 29037
Jarrod shared a ‘cheeky’ tactic he noticed at Woolies. Credit: @jarrodsworld/TikTok

'It’s not like it’s additional specials for members. They are replacing specials that already existed,' Jarrod complained on social media.

‘Just look at the vitamins! All member pricing. And they weren’t even that good, like 2 for $34, 2 for $40. What if I don’t want two? I just want one at half-price,’ he said.

Last month, the retailer rolled out the members-only pricing that gives members of the Everyday Rewards program access to a cheaper price on their items.

Jarrod criticised the supermarket for its tactics–especially when they announced a $1.62 billion profit recently–and said he feels for the elderly customers who don’t know how to use the Everyday Rewards card.

‘What about like the poor old nanas and grandpas that don’t even know how to use the bl**** Everyday Rewards card, let alone sign up for it and get the app and all of that stuff?’ he asked.

Social media users have the same sentiment. One person commented: ‘I honestly think both Coles & Woolies are gonna get done for price gouging pretty soon.’

‘Avoid Woolworths at all costs. We as a community need to make a stand before it gets worse,’ a shopper wrote.

‘It’s basically forcing you to give your shopping data to Woolies and to make it seem like you get something in return, you only pay the normal price,’ a third person claimed.

An Everyday Rewards spokesperson explained that member pricing would be a big focus moving forward, 'We plan to continually evolve our Member Pricing program with more Member Pricing offers to be introduced in the coming weeks.'

Last month, there were reports of shoppers outraged with these changes in Woolworths. Some cited privacy concerns and claimed the program was about ‘data mining and detailed profiles’.

But Consumer Expert Professor Gary Mortimer isn’t concerned: 'Those customers who are up in arms about supermarkets holding their data have possibly been living in a cave for the last 30 years,' he stated.

‘Having a program that's stickier than others works better for a retailer,’ he claimed.

Professor Mortimer added: ‘If you're able to create a program that creates a level of exclusivity and better value for your members, they're more likely to shop with you and stick with you.’

Our SDC members weighed in on this subject. Some saw nothing wrong with Woolies’ latest move.

Member @JKM_Storyteller wrote: ‘I've been a member of various loyalty programs for decades and have never encountered any problems, and certainly nothing that violates my privacy. I don't have to sign my life away, and you don't give them credit card or bank details, and you don't have to give them driver's licence or passport ID, so what's the problem?’

Member @Simplelife shared: ‘I have a rewards card. I don’t shop exclusively at Woolworths. I don’t see a problem with this incentive. It’s free to join. You’re not out of pocket. And having a rewards card as far as privacy is no different to any time you buy with a bank card. We have no privacy from the powers that be. They know more about us than what we buy for dinner. I only joined the rewards this year. I keep an eye out on specials, and yes, I use Woollies if it works for my budget.’

Meanwhile, others took a more cautious approach to supermarket loyalty programs.

‘I don't engage in any loyalty programs, and for no particular reason. However, these programs have a subtle psychology behind them,’ member @Veggiepatch claimed.

‘Some consumers are driven to achieve X number of points to be "rewarded" with their desired prize at the end of the rainbow. As a result, they will overspend, purchasing items that they normally wouldn't or too much. So the Woolies and Coles of this world are rubbing their hands together in anticipation of increased turnover and profit. Don't lie–there's quite a few of you out there guilty of this behaviour,’ they added.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has claimed the supermarket has changed pricing strategies to encourage sign-ups for its Everyday Rewards loyalty scheme.
  • The customer stated that a garlic chicken product he always purchases has increased in price for non-members while remaining the same for Everyday Rewards members.
  • Many customers hesitate to join loyalty schemes due to reluctance to share personal data.
  • Consumer Expert Gary Mortimer emphasised that these loyalty schemes benefit retailers by encouraging shoppers to return.

We highly recommend researching and weighing the benefits of loyalty schemes before signing up for one.

What do you think of this story, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

View attachment 29037

Key Takeaways

I think it’s everybody’s choice make your own decision. Do or don’t!

Yuk, supermarket quality vitamins
No difference in vitamins sold in a supermarket & exactly the same make sold at a chemist. They cannot put rubbish into these items without government control. Check the product at your supermarket versus the exact one (including the same manufacturer) at your chemist. It will probably cost you a couple of dollars more at the chemist but ingredients will be exactly the same at both sellers. Don’t think the chemist’s product is any different just because it is sold at a chemist.

Wherever there is an alternative to Woolworth or Coles, there I will shop. Where there isn't I will argue with the Woolworth staff about the legitimacy of forcing me to become a "Member" to buy stuff at its normal price. Woolworth, Coles, Qantas; junkyard monopolies.

No difference in vitamins sold in a supermarket & exactly the same make sold at a chemist. They cannot put rubbish into these items without government control. Check the product at your supermarket versus the exact one (including the same manufacturer) at your chemist. It will probably cost you a couple of dollars more at the chemist but ingredients will be exactly the same at both sellers. Don’t think the chemist’s product is any different just because it is sold at a chemist.
Exactly, but why buy in supermarket anyway, I buy all such things, along with shampoo, conditioner, makeup, etc from Chemist Warehouse,usually online when they are 50%off.

woolies and Coles are not really that smartly never shopped. at ladies, but as a result of increased prices and bogus marketing I finally tried ladies... and boy did I get a shock I saved a fortune...I saved enough for dinner for two at my local restaurant....aldies for me from now on...not so smart Coles and woolies. (I'll still pick the eyes out of the specials on offer, but my main shop will be at aldies)...fancy a shop charging for paper bags!!! greed, greed

View attachment 29037

Key Takeaways

Supermarkets in Britain have been offering special prices for club members for years. I cannot see a problem with Woolworths doing the same. I also appreciate their emails from Woolworths letting me know the specials of items I often buy.

View attachment 29037

Key Takeaways

Totally agree with Jarrod's story. It is price gouging & as an ER's member I have found the same thing in store. The exclusive members pricing is totally B.S. You need to check ticket pricing every time..don't assume it is a bargain that week..often it is cheaper if you purchased two at normal price previously. As far as vitamin specials...I have found by the time you get to the 2nd bottle they can be out of date or close to it. Are woolies being furtive with their rewards and specials...for sure. As a consumer we need to be made aware of their tactics and shop accordingly. If we choose to still purchase these so called specials, then that's on us as a consumer and that is exactly what the supermarkets rely on. Buying habits, consumers blind faith on the need to be rewarded and the "sticky" method of marketing.

• Haha
Reactions: siameezer
woolies and Coles are not really that smartly never shopped. at ladies, but as a result of increased prices and bogus marketing I finally tried ladies... and boy did I get a shock I saved a fortune...I saved enough for dinner for two at my local restaurant....aldies for me from now on...not so smart Coles and woolies. (I'll still pick the eyes out of the specials on offer, but my main shop will be at aldies)...fancy a shop charging for paper bags!!! greed, greed
??Aldi charges for bags.

Another thing to put in the "couldn't care less" file. 🙄

However, I assume they mean just having a card as opposed to signing up to their $70 scheme if that's still going?

And what about this stupid part of that?
"he feels for the elderly customers who don’t know how to use the Everyday Rewards card."

He should have put "maybe don't know" how to use the card. A majority of older people are not as stupid as some people seem to make them out to be and know very well how to do anything technical. And this is on that TikTok so should be ignored anyway.

Another thing to put in the "couldn't care less" file. 🙄

However, I assume they mean just having a card as opposed to signing up to their $70 scheme if that's still going?

And what about this stupid part of that?
"he feels for the elderly customers who don’t know how to use the Everyday Rewards card."

He should have put "maybe don't know" how to use the card. A majority of older people are not as stupid as some people seem to make them out to be and know very well how to do anything technical. And this is on that TikTok so should be ignored anyway.
Agree with you. Older people pick up most things very easily, as they have had to all their lives.