Is the era of smoking coming to an end with this new legislation? Tobacco industry set for a seismic shift!

It seems like the Australian government is ready to pull out all the stops in a bid to curb the nation's smoking and vaping habits. With the newly proposed legislation, the tobacco industry might be in for a massive shake-up over the next couple of years.

Remember the days when cigarette packs had attractive designs and catchy names? ('Virginia Slims', anyone?) Those days are long gone, thanks to Australia's introduction of plain packaging and graphic warnings on cigarette packs.

But as the saying goes, give them an inch, and they'll take a mile – and it seems the tobacco industry has done just that, finding new ways to market their products and entice younger people despite the restrictions.

But the government isn't giving up without a fight. Health Minister Mark Butler announced on World No-Tobacco Day that a proposed 300-page legislation is set to be released, with the plan to introduce it in parliament later this year.

If passed, the new laws will come into effect by April 2024 with a 15-month transition period, making the new regulations operational from July 2025.

Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 1.13.49 PM.png
Warnings on individual cigarettes, health inserts inside packs and the banning of flavours are among a raft of new 'world-leading' changes proposed by the federal government. Credit: Unsplash/rezamehrad.

Butler explained that the new measures target marketing strategies employed by the tobacco industry which undermine the intention behind the plain packaging and graphic package that the government had put in place a decade ago.

He said, 'Over the last ten years, it's clear there has been no significant action taken to build on the reforms that Nicola Roxon led a decade ago.'

The Health Minister further revealed that while daily smoking rates have dropped dramatically, around 12 per cent of Australians still smoke daily, accounting for over two million people. Since no adequate action has been taken to build on the existing reforms, smoking rates have essentially hit a plateau.

So, what's in store with this proposed legislation? A lot, indeed! Here are some of the significant changes you can expect if the new laws are passed:

1. Standardised package sizing and products: No more flashy pack designs or different sizes for cigarettes.

2. Uniform look and size of filters: This will target stylish, slim cigarettes that may be appealing to younger people.

3. Ban on flavours and additives: No more flavoured or fragrant cigarettes or vaping options to attract younger and new smokers.

4. Restrictions on misleading names: There will be no more confusing or catchy names for tobacco products.

5. Updated warnings and graphic images: Fresh, possibly more shocking images of the consequences of smoking on each pack.

6. Health warnings on individual cigarettes: Each cigarette will carry a reminder of the health risks associated with smoking.

7. Public health inserts in tobacco packs: The tobacco industry will be required to include public health information in every pack they sell.

'This legislation, as I said, is in the draft form being published as an exposure draft today along with a consultation paper,' Butler mentioned, underlining the seriousness of the situation.

If all goes according to plan, these proposed changes could bring about a significant blow to the tobacco industry and change the smoking landscape forever.

Australia’s tobacco control timeline.jpg

Key Takeaways

• The Australian federal government is proposing new legislation to shake up the tobacco industry, aimed at addressing rising vaping rates among youth and the 12% of daily smokers in the country.
  • This 'world-leading' legislation includes measures such as warnings on individual cigarettes, health inserts inside packs, and banning flavours in vapes and other items.
  • Health Minister Mark Butler stated that the legislation aims to address marketing strategies used by the tobacco industry to bypass previous regulations introduced a decade ago.
  • The proposed legislation is expected to be introduced to parliament later this year and become law by April 2024.

Giving up smoking is tough but totally doable! Just keep in mind that there isn't one magical fix that suits everyone. However, some proven strategies can up your chances of kicking the habit for good.

With the right tools, support, and a bit of planning, anyone can quit smoking successfully and start enjoying positive transformations in their life. Don't be embarrassed to ask for help, either! Consulting with a healthcare pro who knows their stuff can give you the guidance and resources you need to get on the right track.

Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 1.13.41 PM.png
Quitting smoking is a challenging journey, but it is achievable with the right tools and planning. Credit: Flickr.

We are keen to hear your insights regarding this news. What are your thoughts on the proposed legislation? Do you believe it will effectively reduce smoking habits among Australians in the long run? Please feel free to share your opinions with us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
Putting graphic pictures and warnings on cigarette packets do diddly squat. I was a smoker when they first started it. Did it make a difference? NO!
The government needs to be seen doing something but they really don’t want people to actually stop smoking. They rake in too much in taxes for that.
There is no easy fix. Higher taxes won’t work because if a person is desperate for their nicotine fix they will get it. Children will be the biggest losers as parents rob Peter to pay Paul (smokes)
NZ might be into something. Time will tell on that one.
The only other way is to ban tobacco altogether but we know that won’t happen either.
Maybe just leave them to smoke in their own backyards as there are not many other places they can go these days to partake.
By the way. I did manage to give up but it was too late for me

It seems like the Australian government is ready to pull out all the stops in a bid to curb the nation's smoking and vaping habits. With the newly proposed legislation, the tobacco industry might be in for a massive shake-up over the next couple of years.

Remember the days when cigarette packs had attractive designs and catchy names? ('Virginia Slims', anyone?) Those days are long gone, thanks to Australia's introduction of plain packaging and graphic warnings on cigarette packs.

But as the saying goes, give them an inch, and they'll take a mile – and it seems the tobacco industry has done just that, finding new ways to market their products and entice younger people despite the restrictions.

But the government isn't giving up without a fight. Health Minister Mark Butler announced on World No-Tobacco Day that a proposed 300-page legislation is set to be released, with the plan to introduce it in parliament later this year.

If passed, the new laws will come into effect by April 2024 with a 15-month transition period, making the new regulations operational from July 2025.

View attachment 21221
Warnings on individual cigarettes, health inserts inside packs and the banning of flavours are among a raft of new 'world-leading' changes proposed by the federal government. Credit: Unsplash/rezamehrad.

Butler explained that the new measures target marketing strategies employed by the tobacco industry which undermine the intention behind the plain packaging and graphic package that the government had put in place a decade ago.

He said, 'Over the last ten years, it's clear there has been no significant action taken to build on the reforms that Nicola Roxon led a decade ago.'

The Health Minister further revealed that while daily smoking rates have dropped dramatically, around 12 per cent of Australians still smoke daily, accounting for over two million people. Since no adequate action has been taken to build on the existing reforms, smoking rates have essentially hit a plateau.

So, what's in store with this proposed legislation? A lot, indeed! Here are some of the significant changes you can expect if the new laws are passed:

1. Standardised package sizing and products: No more flashy pack designs or different sizes for cigarettes.

2. Uniform look and size of filters: This will target stylish, slim cigarettes that may be appealing to younger people.

3. Ban on flavours and additives: No more flavoured or fragrant cigarettes or vaping options to attract younger and new smokers.

4. Restrictions on misleading names: There will be no more confusing or catchy names for tobacco products.

5. Updated warnings and graphic images: Fresh, possibly more shocking images of the consequences of smoking on each pack.

6. Health warnings on individual cigarettes: Each cigarette will carry a reminder of the health risks associated with smoking.

7. Public health inserts in tobacco packs: The tobacco industry will be required to include public health information in every pack they sell.

'This legislation, as I said, is in the draft form being published as an exposure draft today along with a consultation paper,' Butler mentioned, underlining the seriousness of the situation.

If all goes according to plan, these proposed changes could bring about a significant blow to the tobacco industry and change the smoking landscape forever.

Key Takeaways

• The Australian federal government is proposing new legislation to shake up the tobacco industry, aimed at addressing rising vaping rates among youth and the 12% of daily smokers in the country.
  • This 'world-leading' legislation includes measures such as warnings on individual cigarettes, health inserts inside packs, and banning flavours in vapes and other items.
  • Health Minister Mark Butler stated that the legislation aims to address marketing strategies used by the tobacco industry to bypass previous regulations introduced a decade ago.
  • The proposed legislation is expected to be introduced to parliament later this year and become law by April 2024.

Giving up smoking is tough but totally doable! Just keep in mind that there isn't one magical fix that suits everyone. However, some proven strategies can up your chances of kicking the habit for good.

With the right tools, support, and a bit of planning, anyone can quit smoking successfully and start enjoying positive transformations in their life. Don't be embarrassed to ask for help, either! Consulting with a healthcare pro who knows their stuff can give you the guidance and resources you need to get on the right track.

View attachment 21222
Quitting smoking is a challenging journey, but it is achievable with the right tools and planning. Credit: Flickr.

We are keen to hear your insights regarding this news. What are your thoughts on the proposed legislation? Do you believe it will effectively reduce smoking habits among Australians in the long run? Please feel free to share your opinions with us in the comments section below!
I'm a smoker. The current images on packaging, etc have done nothing to deter me from smoking. I see it as a waste of government money!

View attachment 21221

Key Takeaways

View attachment 21222

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I have been smoking for many many years....each year ...Lungs clear !! ..I enjoy my cigarette.....live on my own....friends come....I don't do anything much different...sometimes ....warm/hot doors open....
Winter ...sage INCENCE..... LEAVE US ALONE.....WE ARE ONLY HURTING OURSELVES...
ITS NOT LIKE DRINKING ....THAT IS WORSE.....IT CAN BE IMMEDIATE DEATH ....WITH A CAR..
I KNOW WHICH I PREFER!!!!

My precious granddaughter smokes but has been able to wean herself off cigarettes with the help of vapes although she knows the risks to her health it costs her far less for vapes than for cigarettes. I keep on at her to give up but as she has given up the cigarettes I am hoping she will eventually give up.
Sadly research is showing vapes are more harmful . My son was using vapes when going out on the weekends and for weeks he sounded like he had pneumonia.

Last edited:
I have been smoking for many many years....each year ...Lungs clear !! ..I enjoy my cigarette.....live on my own....friends come....I don't do anything much different...sometimes ....warm/hot doors open....
Winter ...sage INCENCE..... LEAVE US ALONE.....WE ARE ONLY HURTING OURSELVES...
ITS NOT LIKE DRINKING ....THAT IS WORSE.....IT CAN BE IMMEDIATE DEATH ....WITH A CAR..
I KNOW WHICH I PREFER!!!!
I think your problem now will be when you stop.I hope you do keep getting your lungs tested though and get good results .

I'm all for smokers smoking in their own home as long as it's not affecting other people including children.

Also only Idiots drive when they have been drinking and yes some drunks get abusive but then again I have seen smokers also get abusive if they haven't got a cigarette.

Banning tobacco is not the answer there will always be those addicted to smoking.
It is also more than educating the young at school if their parents smoke.
and continuing to be known as a pariah for health ( amongst so many other current options such as easy and junk food)when they are youths and tempted to be 'socially pressured to be accepted' for it or not.
I think young people do smoke much less than ten years ago, and if tempted use peer pressure vapes instead.
Flavouring them as food is very wrong to capture our children when they don't know it is addictive containing nicotine in a small amount, the main additive content.

But the seasoned smokers will not cease unless they decide to not be told to.
I went cold turkey 25 years ago too. Never even enjoyed smoking, just addicted to the nicotine and sociability of the time.

So not going to stop me from smoking. I enjoy it, it's my only vice in life and I believe I have the right to chose how I die. Also seriously, when was the last time you heard about someone smoking a dozen cigarettes then got behind the wheel of a car and killed somebody because they were over the limit and their judgement was impaired, NEVER. If you're going to ban cigarettes then alcohol should be banned first, the impact of drink driving is a whole lot worse and more devastating for families than smoking is.

haha good luck with that ...... there are places in almost every town where you can buy cheap ciggies for $40 for a 100. Illegal I think, but its there. I know a lot of people who buys it. Even uniform people.

Reactions: Jen77au

View attachment 21221

Key Takeaways

View attachment 21222

I think the Government would be better off getting on with their job of fixing the country .I agree that those that want to give up should be given all the help they deserve I however do not wish to give up I have smoked for more than 60 years I have never been hospitalised with a smoking related illness I am all for people not to be smoking in restaurants or enclosed public places but I believe I am not ignorant about what smoking can do however I am an adult and do not need the government to be telling me what I can do in my own home and with my own health

It's always nice to know someone is looking after the health of others, but what I will never understand is, why smoking (which mainly affects the smoker alone - after all, second-hand smoke is really not that much of an issue today with new laws regarding smoking) is always a priority, yet very little, if any, is ever done to reduce alcohol consumption!

The side effects of alcohol abuse are multiple times more dangerous to, not
only the consumer but, mainly the victim.
Domestic violence, child abuse, driving drunk, public fighting - not to mention, cirrhosis of the liver, brain damage and worst of all, homelessness.

Am I the only one who can see the priorities here...? :cry: :cry: :cry:
No, you are not the only one to see these other side effects - I have a 50 year old son who smokes and drinks (drinks to the point of falling over). We are at the point where we don’t know what will help him. He has been in rehab before and now I’m pleading, almost, with his psychiatrist to put him into rehab again. We have spent thousands giving him money when he said he had to pay bills (he’s only a casual worker) not knowing until very, very recently that the money was going on casks of wine and cigarettes. We thought his wages just did not cover all bills especially when some come quarterly. Our bank is about to close now. I shudder to think how much damage he has already done and continues to do to his health.

• Sad
It's always nice to know someone is looking after the health of others, but what I will never understand is, why smoking (which mainly affects the smoker alone - after all, second-hand smoke is really not that much of an issue today with new laws regarding smoking) is always a priority, yet very little, if any, is ever done to reduce alcohol consumption!

The side effects of alcohol abuse are multiple times more dangerous to, not
only the consumer but, mainly the victim.
Domestic violence, child abuse, driving drunk, public fighting - not to mention, cirrhosis of the liver, brain damage and worst of all, homelessness.

Am I the only one who can see the priorities here...? :cry: :cry: :cry:
No, you are not the only one aware of the serious health risks (hidden to or denied by the consumer of drink and cigarettes). We have a 50 year old son who not only smokes but drinks heavily. Fortunately no car, and as a result of drinking and smoking also no money at all besides casual wages which are exhausted until next weeks pay. We’ve spent thousands propping him up over the years thinking his casual wages didn’t go all the way to paying all his bills, until we very recently found out his last few dollars were spent on drink and smokes. He’s been in rehab twice and I’m literally pleading now with his psychiatrist to put him back in. I’m afraid that in a drunken state he will drop a cigarette indoors and burn the place down or will one day have the police at our door with devastating news of his body found inside. I’m at my wits end and thank God for a very strong and stable husband to hold me up in situations like these. The bank of Mum and dad is about to close as we just cannot afford this and at the same time deny our other two children anything, although they have never asked.

• Sad
Reactions: Ezzy and Jen77au
Smoking is definitely a problem and I applaud any attempts at reducing it. What is a bigger problem which seems to be continually ignored is pot. Marijuana is possibly a bigger issue than cigarettes. Pot smokers genuinely believe that pot is good for you, it helps with pain and mental issues. I think it is quite the opposite. I would say that there are just as many if not more pot smokers than cigarette smokers so that needs to be fixed. Banning cigarettes completely will only force them onto the black market costing the health area just as much as it is now but with less income from the taxes. The situation s a total mess.

I am grateful that none of our daughters, sons-in-law & grandchildren, like us do not smoke. My brother & l tried it when we were about 12 & 10 years old & hid them in the wood heap. Came home one Sunday from Sunday School & dad offered us a midway little cigar from our stash. As we each dragged on these dad said, suck in harder (he used to smoke). I wasn't serious about smoking then & didn't touch them again. (never knew what happened to our smokes & cigars).

I am sick and tired of the government picking smokers to make more money in taxes. I am 79, have smoked since I was 12 and enjoy it. I never smoke outside my home or in public places. Obesity has overtaken smoking in health concerns including deaths. Why do we still get adverts for fast food places and soft drinks etc which are notoriously full of carbs. Also alcohol is the cause of many domestic arguments & deaths but no action against them either. Increasing the cost of cigarettes will just increase the the crime rate of stealing them. Leave smokers alone for a while and target the others.

I am grateful that none of our daughters, sons-in-law & grandchildren, like us do not smoke. My brother & l tried it when we were about 12 & 10 years old & hid them in the wood heap. Came home one Sunday from Sunday School & dad offered us a midway little cigar from our stash. As we each dragged on these dad said, suck in harder (he used to smoke). I wasn't serious about smoking then & didn't touch them again. (never knew what happened to our smokes & cigars).
I wish I had been strong enough to NOT continue smoking after a similar event! So much regret and money wasted. But I haven't given up on quitting! It's not the right time for me with my mental health, I have a lot of challenges right now. I once had a psychiatrist tell me NOT to quit! She understood it's my crutch, my vice, but I know I will quit. Once my mind settles again, I'll be attempting it and hopefully succeed. It's not illegal, and I barely touch alcohol, maybe a Bailey's at Christmas with the family, I don't do illegal drugs and I am very conscious of others if I do smoke in public. I walk away from the mainstream area, carry y own little ashtray and hand sanitiser, mints and a body spray (I don't drown myself with it either). I like to think that I'm a responsible smoker.

Reactions: Ezzy
My mother had lung cancer when she was 84. She had treatment for it. She never smoked, however my father did when they got married, but gave it up in the 60's. In those days, nobody cared about 2nd hand smoke around others. Her Oncologist said people who smoke have a % risk factor with a range of medical diagnoses.