Wife faces heartbreaking decision as husband's $452-per-month cigarette habit takes its toll

We understand that everyone has their own habits and vices, but it's important to recognise when these habits might be impacting both our own lives and those around us.

For one Australian couple, the husband's costly cigarette habit has led to a tough household situation where his wife is forced to choose between paying bills or putting food on the table.

In a post shared on a popular Facebook group, the woman shared a breakdown of her family's expenses and sought advice on how to cut back.

The most glaring expense, as many group members quickly pointed out, was the amount spent on cigarettes – essentially bleeding the family wallet dry at a whopping $113 a week or $452 a month. That adds up to an astonishing $5,424 per year, which could be better used for savings or family essentials.

Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 3.04.45 PM.png
A husband spends $450 per month on cigarettes, causing financial strain for his family. Credit: Facebook, Unsplash.

Australia is home to some of the most expensive cigarette prices in the world, with a 20-pack ranging between $25 and $50, depending on the brand.

By 2026, the prices are expected to rise further to around $49 per pack (on average) due to the massive tobacco tax increase that forms part of the Federal Budget.

In response to the more than 800 comments suggesting her husband quit smoking, the wife defended her partner with a dose of reality: 'Smokes are the hubby, and I can't force him,' she said before revealing that she planned to discuss the possibility of cutting back.

She also acknowledged her own love of food and cooking, saying it 'isn't cheap'.

While we can all appreciate a delicious meal, many others in the group argued that comparing food – essential for, well, life – to smoking cigarettes was a bit of a stretch.

One commented, 'I don't think it is fair to compare smoking to you buying food for you and your kids just because you get enjoyment from it.'

Looking at the couple's other expenses, the list included rent, petrol, groceries, bills, mobile phone plans, car payments and insurance payments.

Many group members suggested reducing phone bills or changing the family's grocery shopping habits from pricey retailers like Woolworths or Coles to more affordable alternatives like ALDI.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian woman shared on social media about her husband's costly cigarette habit, which was forcing the family to choose between paying bills or buying food.
  • The couple's expenses also included rent, petrol, groceries, bills, mobile phone plans, car payments, and insurance payments.
  • Some fellow homeowners suggested ways to reduce costs, such as switching to budget-friendly alternatives and exploring additional income sources.

Overall, the situation serves as a timely reminder to re-evaluate our expenditures and confront bad habits that might be negatively affecting our families and loved ones.

There are multiple ways to save and cut back on spending in order to lead a more balanced and financially secure life, and sometimes, it requires taking a long, hard look at our actions today to ensure a brighter future tomorrow.

Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 3.04.38 PM.png
Many commenters suggested that the husband should quit or reduce his smoking habit to save money. Credit: Unsplash/Jonathan Kemper.

Quitting smoking is a difficult but achievable goal. It's important to remember that there's no single solution that works for everyone; however, there are some tried and tested strategies that can help increase your chances of success.

One of the most critical steps you can take when quitting smoking is to seek professional help. Talking to your doctor or a health clinic can provide you with access to available treatments or medications that could help you overcome the habit. They can also offer guidance on creating a plan that suits your individual needs.

In addition to seeking professional help, taking note of your triggers and setting achievable goals can help you stay on track. Identifying your triggers, whether it be social situations or emotional stress, can help you avoid them by finding healthier alternatives that can keep you distracted.

Setting realistic goals is also crucial when trying to quit smoking. Small goals can be achievable and provide you with a sense of accomplishment that can help motivate you to continue on the journey towards being smoke-free. Creating a quit-smoking plan can also help you stay focused and dedicated to your goal, as well as help you identify any additional support you may need from family and friends.

Nicotine replacement therapies (NRTs) can also be useful in reducing withdrawal symptoms when trying to quit smoking. NRTs are available in various forms, such as lozenges, gums, patches, or inhalers, and have been proven to be helpful in decreasing withdrawal symptoms.

Finally, practising relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation, and deep breathing can also help during tough times. These techniques can provide a sense of calm and help you manage stress, which is often a trigger for smoking.

Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 3.04.17 PM.png
Quitting smoking is a challenging journey, but it is achievable with the right tools and planning. Credit: Unsplash/Kelly Sikkema.

Remember, with the right tools, support, and planning, anyone can successfully quit smoking and embrace positive changes in their life. There is no shame in seeking assistance, and consulting a trained healthcare professional can provide the necessary guidance and resources to set you on the path to success.

By taking the first step and seeking help, you are empowering yourself to make a significant and positive transformation in your life.

We're eager to hear your thoughts on this story. Has a similar situation ever unfolded in your own life? Perhaps you've successfully conquered a habit or vice that once had a hold on you.

If you feel comfortable, please share your personal experiences with us in the comments below. Your stories hold great value, and we look forward to hearing from you and learning from your journey.

Sponsored
This Jerk's addiction to smoking is absolutely disgusting ! Was he born without a backbone ? You can do anything If you try hard enough and have the backbone to do it !
Does he think it's OK to deprive his family, just to feed his disgusting habit ?
If she had any sense she'd kick the BUM out !!!

You've got to be kidding! I'm an ex smoker, I gave up when they got expensive at $28.00 a carton of 10 x 25 packs, so a carton of 250 durries!!! Now they pay this per packet. How can you justify continuing smoking????

I think I would serve him a pack of cigs & tell him that's his meal while his wife & kids sat at the same table & ate a substantial meal of meat, vegs & maybe even a dessert. Something has to get to this jerk & this might be the only way to do it.

Reactions: ElizabethL and Gsr
Agree entirely with the comments. What is worse it is actually $5,876.00 per annum or $489.67
per month.

Reactions: Gsr
I am also an ex-smoker. I gave up over 30 years ago when Jeff Kennet was Premier. The cost of electricity and gas shot up and cigarettes were the only the only thing that could be given up.
My hubby said I was a real bi*ch for 3 months.
I cannot stand them now.

Reactions: Gsr and Jennie
Yes time to QUIT. Food for him or cigarettes for his dinner! That may change him.

Another alternative is rehabilitation or hypnotherapy. Have a go at a couple of sessions & see if there is an improvement.

Reactions: ElizabethL
may I ask why he doesn't buy them out of his allowance if he has one,,my husband and I are both ex-smokers ,35 yrs and 25 yrs respectfully with me being the longest ,,,I'm sorry to say but they are way to expensive now,,,does he know how much they cost,,maybe send him to buy his own from the family budget,,that might make him realise how much his habit is taking away from his family or just refuse to buy any

We understand that everyone has their own habits and vices, but it's important to recognise when these habits might be impacting both our own lives and those around us.

For one Australian couple, the husband's costly cigarette habit has led to a tough household situation where his wife is forced to choose between paying bills or putting food on the table.

In a post shared on a popular Facebook group, the woman shared a breakdown of her family's expenses and sought advice on how to cut back.

The most glaring expense, as many group members quickly pointed out, was the amount spent on cigarettes – essentially bleeding the family wallet dry at a whopping $113 a week or $452 a month. That adds up to an astonishing $5,424 per year, which could be better used for savings or family essentials.

View attachment 20141
A husband spends $450 per month on cigarettes, causing financial strain for his family. Credit: Facebook, Unsplash.

Australia is home to some of the most expensive cigarette prices in the world, with a 20-pack ranging between $25 and $50, depending on the brand.

By 2026, the prices are expected to rise further to around $49 per pack (on average) due to the massive tobacco tax increase that forms part of the Federal Budget.

In response to the more than 800 comments suggesting her husband quit smoking, the wife defended her partner with a dose of reality: 'Smokes are the hubby, and I can't force him,' she said before revealing that she planned to discuss the possibility of cutting back.

She also acknowledged her own love of food and cooking, saying it 'isn't cheap'.

While we can all appreciate a delicious meal, many others in the group argued that comparing food – essential for, well, life – to smoking cigarettes was a bit of a stretch.

One commented, 'I don't think it is fair to compare smoking to you buying food for you and your kids just because you get enjoyment from it.'

Looking at the couple's other expenses, the list included rent, petrol, groceries, bills, mobile phone plans, car payments and insurance payments.

Many group members suggested reducing phone bills or changing the family's grocery shopping habits from pricey retailers like Woolworths or Coles to more affordable alternatives like ALDI.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian woman shared on social media about her husband's costly cigarette habit, which was forcing the family to choose between paying bills or buying food.
  • The couple's expenses also included rent, petrol, groceries, bills, mobile phone plans, car payments, and insurance payments.
  • Some fellow homeowners suggested ways to reduce costs, such as switching to budget-friendly alternatives and exploring additional income sources.

Overall, the situation serves as a timely reminder to re-evaluate our expenditures and confront bad habits that might be negatively affecting our families and loved ones.

There are multiple ways to save and cut back on spending in order to lead a more balanced and financially secure life, and sometimes, it requires taking a long, hard look at our actions today to ensure a brighter future tomorrow.

View attachment 20142
Many commenters suggested that the husband should quit or reduce his smoking habit to save money. Credit: Unsplash/Jonathan Kemper.

Quitting smoking is a difficult but achievable goal. It's important to remember that there's no single solution that works for everyone; however, there are some tried and tested strategies that can help increase your chances of success.

One of the most critical steps you can take when quitting smoking is to seek professional help. Talking to your doctor or a health clinic can provide you with access to available treatments or medications that could help you overcome the habit. They can also offer guidance on creating a plan that suits your individual needs.

In addition to seeking professional help, taking note of your triggers and setting achievable goals can help you stay on track. Identifying your triggers, whether it be social situations or emotional stress, can help you avoid them by finding healthier alternatives that can keep you distracted.

Setting realistic goals is also crucial when trying to quit smoking. Small goals can be achievable and provide you with a sense of accomplishment that can help motivate you to continue on the journey towards being smoke-free. Creating a quit-smoking plan can also help you stay focused and dedicated to your goal, as well as help you identify any additional support you may need from family and friends.

Nicotine replacement therapies (NRTs) can also be useful in reducing withdrawal symptoms when trying to quit smoking. NRTs are available in various forms, such as lozenges, gums, patches, or inhalers, and have been proven to be helpful in decreasing withdrawal symptoms.

Finally, practising relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation, and deep breathing can also help during tough times. These techniques can provide a sense of calm and help you manage stress, which is often a trigger for smoking.

View attachment 20143
Quitting smoking is a challenging journey, but it is achievable with the right tools and planning. Credit: Unsplash/Kelly Sikkema.

Remember, with the right tools, support, and planning, anyone can successfully quit smoking and embrace positive changes in their life. There is no shame in seeking assistance, and consulting a trained healthcare professional can provide the necessary guidance and resources to set you on the path to success.

By taking the first step and seeking help, you are empowering yourself to make a significant and positive transformation in your life.

We're eager to hear your thoughts on this story. Has a similar situation ever unfolded in your own life? Perhaps you've successfully conquered a habit or vice that once had a hold on you.

If you feel comfortable, please share your personal experiences with us in the comments below. Your stories hold great value, and we look forward to hearing from you and learning from your journey.
Aldi are not always cheaper. We have noticed a lot of price rises at Aldi. You can buy some things cheaper at the Reject Shop, NQR & Cheap as Chips.

Reactions: ElizabethL
I'm an ex smoker and the only initiative I needed was my family and that was when they were $20 something a carton .

Maybe if the husband wants to smoke he needs to get a second job to pay for his cigarettes

It was hard for maybe 6 weeks especially in the morning having coffee or the night time meal.
Now I look at smokers and think how did I ever do that.
Smoking ages you quicker.
Makes you smell , your hair your clothes.
Turns your teeth yellow
Have you seen inside a smokers house and noticed the yellow walls.
And on top of that the damage to your lungs.

View attachment 20141

Key Takeaways

View attachment 20142

View attachment 20143

The QUIT program is free and very supportive.

View attachment 20141

Key Takeaways

View attachment 20142

View attachment 20143

Mobile phone plans are a bit pricey, I have a 365 day plan with Catch Mobile that costs me $150 , so there is a considerable savings there.

Reactions: Gsr and Observer
Yes time to QUIT. Food for him or cigarettes for his dinner! That may change him.

Another alternative is rehabilitation or hypnotherapy. Have a go at a couple of sessions & see if there is an improvement.
Older Americans used to chew on tobacco. So maybe feeding him cigarettes isnt the answer LOL
Tried hypnotherapy 3 times and nothing worked.
What l found that did help a lot to give up, was to record a time on paper each time l had one noting the time difference between each cigarette and then stretch it out between smokes. Just kept adding an extra 5 minutes more between smokes until l got to an hour apart, then eventually 2 hours apart, then 3 hours apart. I used to smoke 35 a day and came right down to as low as 5 per day until l went for a visit to the USA where the cigarettes were only $5 a pack so my smoking kicked off again.
Now that l am retired, l have started that method again and l must say, time between cigarettes has stretched out again. Got no plans to go overseas again so hopefully l can get to the stage of having 0 per day.

Reactions: SandyM
Start feeding him bread without butter and maybe some dry cereal for meals while you and the kids eat a normal meal. Tell him he can either waste money on smokes or eat, it is not fair that you and the kids are going without while he is destroying all your lives and health shoving smokes in his mouth. He sounds like a very selfish man and obviously cares more about himself than anyone else. As a mother you should be putting your kids first.

My only comment would be that if he can't, or really doesn't want to give up, then swap to "rollies". Not only does it save quite a bit of money, but the cigarettes don't burn away like tailer mades, they just go out if left sitting, so are not wasted. Just a thought - it's what I did many years ago. I also started making them thinner and thinner.

Reactions: SandyM
I used to be a very heavy smoker - up to 80 per day, and my colleagues at work used to claim that I was the least likely person to ever stop.

Then, back in 1988 I borrowed as much as the bank was willing to lend me and had a large, new house built. Even before the building was completed, interest rates were going up - remember the days of 18% interest? As a single mother of three, I realised that I had to choose between the house and cigarettes. I stopped.

I work at a place where cigarettes are sold. I can honestly say that $452.00 a month is relatively cheap compared to what some people spend. Some packs are over $50.00, if you smoke one of those a day, well you do the math.
This guy needs a reality check. I hope that he gets to reads his wife’s post and then realises what a selfish jerk he is.

Reactions: Penny4

View attachment 20141

Key Takeaways

View attachment 20142

View attachment 20143

It's a no Brainer family food come before that stinking habit. I have no time for anyone that contribute to the ever expanding list of cancer suffers . This is because I was told 40 years ago when I was a smoker, that passive smoke was on top of cancer causes. Threw the packet in bin have not touched one to this day.

Reactions: Penny4