SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jonathan Leane

Jonathan Leane

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2021
Is it time for new sheets? A few signs that they need to go, and how to make them last longer

We all know that a good night's sleep is important for our overall health and well-being. But did you know that the state of your bedroom can actually have a significant impact on how well you sleep?

If your bedroom is cluttered, dusty, or just generally not too comfortable, it can wreak havoc on your sleep patterns and even make you sick. Not to mention, it can be pretty difficult to relax in an environment that doesn't feel restful.

That's why it's so important to create a serene space that promotes relaxation and restfulness. And one of the easiest ways to do this is by making sure your bedding is fresh, clean, and comfortable. We spoke with the pros to determine which factors signify that it is indeed time to search for a new sheet set or two. Keep reading so that you know what to keep an eye out for the next time you're making your bed!

DALL·E 2022-09-22 11.35.24 - happy child using a bed sheet as a cape, watercolor and pen.png
There's nothing like curling up in a fresh pair of sheets after a long day. Source: OpenAI

1. Your sheets are more than 2-3 years old

According to Vicki Fulop, Founder of Brooklinen, a bedding & linen company, most sheets only last about two years before they need to be replaced.

'After regular use and wash cycles, the fibres of your bed linens can start to break down and show signs of wear and tear,' she explains.

'Having said that, it doesn't mean your sheets will all of a sudden fall apart after two years,' Fulop notes, 'just that if they're starting to look and feel worn out, and you want the optimal condition and comfort for your bed, two years or so is a great time for a refresh.'

So, if you can't remember the last time you bought a new set of sheets, it may be time to start shopping around.

2. They're starting to pill

Pilling is when those little fabric balls start to form on the surface of your sheets. And it's definitely a sign that it's time for new bedding, according to Au Lit's 'Between The Sheets' blog.

'Pilling occurs when fibres in the fabric break, tangle, and “ball up”. The shorter the fibres used in the fabric, the more likely the chance for breakage. The more brittle the fibre, the more breakage will occur. Cotton sheets may pill for a variety of reasons, however, it is more common in lower quality fabrics, which use inferior cotton.'

Pilling is most common in sheets made from synthetic fabrics like polyester, but it can also happen with natural fibres like cotton. If you start to notice those little fabric balls, it means the fibres in your sheets are breaking down and it's time for a new set.

3. Your sheets have lots of stains

If you frequently drink coffee or red wine in bed (no judgement!), then chances are your sheets have seen their fair share of stains over the years. While you can certainly try to remove these stains with some good old-fashioned elbow grease, there will come a point where they're just too set in to come out.

And while small spills here and there are no big deal – most stains in natural fibres are actually removable with hydrogen peroxide, white vinegar and dish soap - if your sheets look more like a painters' drop cloth than anything else, then it’s probably time for an upgrade.

4. You're waking up with allergies

If you're someone who suffers from allergies, you know that they can make sleeping difficult. And if you're waking up with an itchy nose, watery eyes, or a scratchy throat, there’s a chance that your sheets are at least partly to blame.

According to WebMD, the average person sheds around 500 million skin cells a day. And unless you're washing your sheets regularly (more on that in a minute), all of those skin cells can end up in your bedding.

The good news is that you can reduce your risk of waking up with allergies by investing in sheets made from hypoallergenic materials. These sheets are designed to resist dust mites, mould, mildew, and other allergens, making them a great option for people with sensitivities.

How to keep your sheets fresh and clean

Now that you know when it's time to replace your sheets, you might be wondering how you can keep them fresh and clean in between sets. Here are a few tips from the experts:

1. Wash your sheets regularly

This one might seem like a no-brainer, but washing your sheets regularly is the best way to keep them clean and fresh. According to Better Homes & Gardens, washing your bed sheets about once a week ensures they always stay fresh. Plan to add this task to your weekly cleaning schedule to help reinforce the habit. Keep in mind that you don't necessarily need to wash sheets the same day as you strip your bed. It's helpful to have a few sheet sets on hand which makes it easy to quickly swap.

2. Use the right detergent

When it comes to washing your sheets, using the right detergent is just as important as washing them regularly. You should avoid detergents with optical brighteners, fragrances, dyes, and other harsh chemicals. These ingredients can actually damage your sheets and make them more susceptible to stains. Make sure you check the care tag on your sheets for specific instructions, as the optimal cleaning regimen depends on factors like thread count and the material used.

3. Use the gentle cycle

Another laundry tip: make sure you're using the gentle cycle when you wash your sheets. This will help them last longer and stay in better condition. Again, from Better Homes & Gardens:
‘Always wash sheets separately from clothing or towels to ensure the best clean and prevent damage and additional wear. Pre-treat stains before laundering, then wash sheets on a gentle cycle using cool water. You don't necessarily need to wash sheets in hot water unless someone in your household has been sick or your goal is to kill dust mites to ward off allergies. Dry the sheets on a low heat setting and remove them from the dryer immediately after the cycle is finished to prevent wrinkles.’

4. Don't over-dry them

When it comes to drying your sheets, beware of over-drying them. This can cause the fibres to break down, making them more likely to pill and stain. Instead, consider removing your sheets from the dryer while they're still slightly damp and then letting them air dry the rest of the way.

5. Don't forget to vacuum

Vacuuming your mattress on a regular basis is another great way to keep your sheets clean and fresh. This will help remove dust mites, skin cells, and other allergens that can cause problems for people with allergies.

Members, there are few things more important to living a happy and healthy life than getting regular, good quality sleep. Have you got any product tips or sleeping hacks to share? Let us know in the comments below.

Last edited:
I certainly don’t replace my sheets for new ones after 2 to 3 years. I alternate them when l wash them, l have both cotton and bamboo sheets and i have had them for years. One set of bamboo are 10 years old, though they were expensive when l bought them. I only dry them on the line

I learnt by example.
As a tiny child, I knew that my Mum changed the sheets weekly.
She'd light the fire under the copper and boil up the water and in went the sheets.
She stir them round and round with that long copper stick.
Then in went the Bluo....to "whiten" them.
Mum used to purchase unbleached
100% cotton sheets, they were not as expensive as bleached linen.
Instead of being white white, they looked cream, like calico.
They were heavy, strong, and lasted for many many years.

Last edited:
Is it time for new sheets? A few signs that they need to go, and how to make them last longer

We all know that a good night's sleep is important for our overall health and well-being. But did you know that the state of your bedroom can actually have a significant impact on how well you sleep?

If your bedroom is cluttered, dusty, or just generally not too comfortable, it can wreak havoc on your sleep patterns and even make you sick. Not to mention, it can be pretty difficult to relax in an environment that doesn't feel restful.

That's why it's so important to create a serene space that promotes relaxation and restfulness. And one of the easiest ways to do this is by making sure your bedding is fresh, clean, and comfortable. We spoke with the pros to determine which factors signify that it is indeed time to search for a new sheet set or two. Keep reading so that you know what to keep an eye out for the next time you're making your bed!

View attachment 6358
There's nothing like curling up in a fresh pair of sheets after a long day. Source: OpenAI

1. Your sheets are more than 2-3 years old

According to Vicki Fulop, Founder of Brooklinen, a bedding & linen company, most sheets only last about two years before they need to be replaced.

'After regular use and wash cycles, the fibres of your bed linens can start to break down and show signs of wear and tear,' she explains.

'Having said that, it doesn't mean your sheets will all of a sudden fall apart after two years,' Fulop notes, 'just that if they're starting to look and feel worn out, and you want the optimal condition and comfort for your bed, two years or so is a great time for a refresh.'

So, if you can't remember the last time you bought a new set of sheets, it may be time to start shopping around.

2. They're starting to pill

Pilling is when those little fabric balls start to form on the surface of your sheets. And it's definitely a sign that it's time for new bedding, according to Au Lit's 'Between The Sheets' blog.

'Pilling occurs when fibres in the fabric break, tangle, and “ball up”. The shorter the fibres used in the fabric, the more likely the chance for breakage. The more brittle the fibre, the more breakage will occur. Cotton sheets may pill for a variety of reasons, however, it is more common in lower quality fabrics, which use inferior cotton.'

Pilling is most common in sheets made from synthetic fabrics like polyester, but it can also happen with natural fibres like cotton. If you start to notice those little fabric balls, it means the fibres in your sheets are breaking down and it's time for a new set.

3. Your sheets have lots of stains

If you frequently drink coffee or red wine in bed (no judgement!), then chances are your sheets have seen their fair share of stains over the years. While you can certainly try to remove these stains with some good old-fashioned elbow grease, there will come a point where they're just too set in to come out.

And while small spills here and there are no big deal – most stains in natural fibres are actually removable with hydrogen peroxide, white vinegar and dish soap - if your sheets look more like a painters' drop cloth than anything else, then it’s probably time for an upgrade.

4. You're waking up with allergies

If you're someone who suffers from allergies, you know that they can make sleeping difficult. And if you're waking up with an itchy nose, watery eyes, or a scratchy throat, there’s a chance that your sheets are at least partly to blame.

According to WebMD, the average person sheds around 500 million skin cells a day. And unless you're washing your sheets regularly (more on that in a minute), all of those skin cells can end up in your bedding.

The good news is that you can reduce your risk of waking up with allergies by investing in sheets made from hypoallergenic materials. These sheets are designed to resist dust mites, mould, mildew, and other allergens, making them a great option for people with sensitivities.

How to keep your sheets fresh and clean

Now that you know when it's time to replace your sheets, you might be wondering how you can keep them fresh and clean in between sets. Here are a few tips from the experts:

1. Wash your sheets regularly

This one might seem like a no-brainer, but washing your sheets regularly is the best way to keep them clean and fresh. According to Better Homes & Gardens, washing your bed sheets about once a week ensures they always stay fresh. Plan to add this task to your weekly cleaning schedule to help reinforce the habit. Keep in mind that you don't necessarily need to wash sheets the same day as you strip your bed. It's helpful to have a few sheet sets on hand which makes it easy to quickly swap.

2. Use the right detergent

When it comes to washing your sheets, using the right detergent is just as important as washing them regularly. You should avoid detergents with optical brighteners, fragrances, dyes, and other harsh chemicals. These ingredients can actually damage your sheets and make them more susceptible to stains. Make sure you check the care tag on your sheets for specific instructions, as the optimal cleaning regimen depends on factors like thread count and the material used.

3. Use the gentle cycle

Another laundry tip: make sure you're using the gentle cycle when you wash your sheets. This will help them last longer and stay in better condition. Again, from Better Homes & Gardens:
‘Always wash sheets separately from clothing or towels to ensure the best clean and prevent damage and additional wear. Pre-treat stains before laundering, then wash sheets on a gentle cycle using cool water. You don't necessarily need to wash sheets in hot water unless someone in your household has been sick or your goal is to kill dust mites to ward off allergies. Dry the sheets on a low heat setting and remove them from the dryer immediately after the cycle is finished to prevent wrinkles.’

4. Don't over-dry them

When it comes to drying your sheets, beware of over-drying them. This can cause the fibres to break down, making them more likely to pill and stain. Instead, consider removing your sheets from the dryer while they're still slightly damp and then letting them air dry the rest of the way.

5. Don't forget to vacuum

Vacuuming your mattress on a regular basis is another great way to keep your sheets clean and fresh. This will help remove dust mites, skin cells, and other allergens that can cause problems for people with allergies.

Members, there are few things more important to living a happy and healthy life than getting regular, good quality sleep. Have you got any product tips or sleeping hacks to share? Let us know in the comments below.
I have cotton sheets, bought Actil and Bradmill sheets years ago when I had money. They are lasting longer than others half their age. I hang them on the line by pegging 2 edges together so the middle of the sheet doesn't wear from rubbing on the line.

Who has the cash to be changing their sheets every two years?
On the one hand we're told we waste far too much stuff and over consume far too much, then we're told to replace perfectly useable items after such a short time. You just can't win. :rolleyes: ;)

It's the sheet manufacturers stating we need to replace them every 2 - 3 years.
I didn't know sheets come with a USE BY date!
Remember when the sheets were starting to thin a bit, we used to renew them by cutting the sheets down the middle length-wise, joining the side seams, then making seams along the sides. Gave them a new lease of life for many more years.
We never complained about the join down the middle....it's just what we did.

About 10 years ago, I discovered 1,000 thread count, 100% Egyptian cotton sheets. Soft and smooth, they improved my sleep by leaps and bounds. I gave all my other sheets to the op shop, including brand new packs, and replaced them with these fabulously comfortable sheets. I have found them to be durable. They do not pill. I wash them on a cold cycle and spread them on drying racks in the sun.

In stores, these sheets are hideously expensive, if you can find a store that stocks them. On Ebay, there are sellers who provide them at much more reasonable prices, e.g. about A$90 for a double bed set. See sellers: envyonline or ebedroom. There are other sellers on Ebay as well. Sets can be a flat sheet, fitted sheet and two pillow cases (one pillow case for single bed sets) or a fitted sheet, quilt cover and pillow cases. The sets come in a range of about 7 solid colours plus white (no patterns). If you order, check to make sure you are getting 1,000 thread count and 100% Egyptian cotton as sellers have a range of other styles. Once you try this level of comfort, you will not look back.

Reactions: Helenmac and Ricci
I now use organic cotton sheets from big w, they have a nice feel and pet hair doesn’t stick to them like it does to some polyester and other sheets. They cost $49 for queen size wear well. They come. Out once every year and sell very quickly so are obviously popular. I like to wash sheets and reuse them as I love the fresh smell they have after being dried on the line. I wash my pillowcases every 2-3 days just for the fresh air smell they get.

Reactions: Ricci and Penny4
It's the sheet manufacturers stating we need to replace them every 2 - 3 years.
I didn't know sheets come with a USE BY date!
Remember when the sheets were starting to thin a bit, we used to renew them by cutting the sheets down the middle length-wise, joining the side seams, then making seams along the sides. Gave them a new lease of life for many more years.
We never complained about the join down the middle....it's just what we did.
Yes! I now recall my Mother doing this or , if too far gone, cutting them in strips for Bandages. Three Boys so always cuts, scratches,etc

Reactions: Penny4 and Ricci
I wash my sheets every week and in cold water then hang the in the sun.

I buy good sheets mostly Sheridan. If I buy cheap sheets which are spare sheets eg to use on the lounge if someone sleeps over these are the sheets that get balls on them.

I hate stained sheets they go straight in the bin. This has only happened when my granddaughter's slept over and accidentally draw on the sheets.

Or when hubby and me experimented with oil massages 🤭

Reactions: Ricci
I loved the feel and pattern of my first pair of organic cotton sheets so much, and had trouble finding a new pair, that when the bottom sheet got a hole in it I patched it up and kept using them until I found another pair. Now I look out for them at big w each year and if they have a color or pattern I like I buy a new set. So I always have a spare set in the cupboard. As for throwing out stained sheets, I would be doing it almost every day as my husband is at an age where his skin is getting thinner and he takes blood thinners, so most days he ends up with a cut, scratch or something. I patch him up but he usually still manages to get blood stains on the sheets. We still sleep the same with the stained sheets as we do with new unstained sheets so it doesn’t worry either of us. When I make the bed I alternate the way the sheets go so the stains get all over the sheets and not just on his side. This just makes the sheets patterned all over.