Is Centrelink 'straight up refusing to take any calls'? Frustrated mum speaks out

Things have been quite tough recently with the cost-of-living crisis breathing down all our necks.

The prices of goods and other important commodities are still rising, and for many, government aid is a lifeline to help stay afloat.

However, it’s no secret that many Aussies have been having difficulty reaching Centrelink’s phone lines, especially during peak hours.

One mum was disappointed after experiencing this first-hand while attempting to reach Centrelink’s family line, and she took to Twitter to air her grievance.

‘I know everyone has been complaining about Centrelink, but I didn’t realise until today they were just straight up refusing to take any calls because they don’t have the staff,’ Lia Harris, a reporter for ABC, said.

‘Their families line just says “No one is available to take your call. Goodbye.” and hangs up.’

‘Too bad for all the struggling families out there relying on their payments and subsidies schemes.’

Source: Twitter/@LiaJHarris

Many sympathised with Harris and indicated they’ve gone through similar experiences.

‘Unbelievable. That happened to my husband yesterday (too),’ one woman said.

‘I’ve been trying to get through for almost a week,’ a second added.

‘I hope they can remedy this soon,’ said a third.

Others meanwhile expressed their frustration at officials they think are out-of-touch.

‘Ha! That's why us folk familiar with Centrelink laugh bitterly when a minister or whoever says just call Centrelink — like it's the easiest thing in the world,’ one woman shared.

‘We’ve been saying it for months,’ another said. ‘People in a privileged position don’t know and probably don’t care.’

One even tagged the official account of Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth: ‘The Aged Care line just stays on hold forever. They have no intention of answering. Appalling, @AmandaRishworth.’

One exchange also allowed Harris to elaborate on her complaint.

‘Not downplaying the seriousness of this, but this is happening across the entire economy,’ a man replied.

‘No doubt it is,’ Harris said. ‘But this is a government service. It should be functional enough for people who need it to be able to access it.’

In response to the development, a spokesperson for Services Australia, the agency overseeing Centrelink, apologised.

‘We are experiencing a surge in calls at the moment, and we’re sorry to hear people are having trouble reaching us,’ the spokesperson said.

photo-1520923642038-b4259acecbd7.jpg
One mum got an unfortunate taste of one of Aussies’ common complaints about Centrelink: its phone lines. Image Credit: Unsplash

‘Services Australia [Centrelink] has ended the practice of blocking calls during customer surges and we encourage anyone who needs to speak with us to try again — people are getting through, and our staff are working hard to answer all calls.’

‘We also know people want options when it comes to doing their business with us, and that’s why we’re also investing in face-to-face and digital support,’ the spokesperson added.

‘For people who are interested in doing more online when and where it suits them, we now have digital coaches who can provide in-person support to increase confidence using our online services.’

It seems all is good on Harris’ end too, as she said in a follow-up post that her concerns have since been addressed after managing to get in touch with Centrelink.

‘Someone gave me the tip to call first thing in the morning at 8.30 so you’re first in the queue, I still had to wait half an hour on hold but at least they actually put me in the queue! Otherwise, I’ve also been told to try after 7pm,’ she shared.

Key Takeaways

• Aussie mum and ABC reporter Lia Harris has shared her experience trying to call Centrelink and being unable to get through due to staffing shortages.
  • Services Australia apologised and said it has ended the practice of blocking calls during customer surges.
  • The agency said they were also investing in face-to-face and digital support, and providing in-person support for those interested in using their online services.
The General Manager Hank Jongen also issued a similar appeal after it was reported that the average wait time for seniors calling their Older Australians line, 132 300, was 24 minutes and 18 seconds on average.

Most notably, some members scoffed at the figure and said they were put on hold for much longer.

‘That’s a short wait!’ @Magpie58 said.

‘Only 24 minutes! I waited 45 minutes last week,’ @Shaken added. ‘I have applied for age pension over three months ago (provided all paperwork required) and apart from computer-generated texts every ten days telling me my claim is being assessed. (I have received) NOTHING!’

‘I am a single woman and I’ve used up all my savings before applying and now I have nothing. It’s very scary.’

And lastly @JayKay added: ‘(Twenty-four) minutes is not even a wait. Try 3 hours, 17 minutes, being told you are progressing in the queue, then you hear a click, thinking your turn has arrived, oh whoops, they hang up on you!’

Hopefully, Centrelink addresses these longstanding concerns, and soon.

pexels-photo-7544758.jpg
Some members previously shared their experiences on hold — and even dropped — at Centrelink’s Older Australians line. Image Credit: Pexels/SHVETS production

In other news, Centrelink announced changes in its payments policy last January which could lead to potential suspensions for some seniors. Read here to know more.

The royal commission on Robodebt also uncovered a disturbing fact in one recent hearing: there were deliberate attempts to silence vocal critics of the unlawful measure — at least, according to a former worker.

So, what are your thoughts on Harris’ experience? What measures do you think the government can make that would help more Aussies access much-needed aid?

Tell us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Things have been quite tough recently with the cost-of-living crisis breathing down all our necks.

The prices of goods and other important commodities are still rising, and for many, government aid is a lifeline to help stay afloat.

However, it’s no secret that many Aussies have been having difficulty reaching Centrelink’s phone lines, especially during peak hours.

One mum was disappointed after experiencing this first-hand while attempting to reach Centrelink’s family line, and she took to Twitter to air her grievance.

‘I know everyone has been complaining about Centrelink, but I didn’t realise until today they were just straight up refusing to take any calls because they don’t have the staff,’ Lia Harris, a reporter for ABC, said.

‘Their families line just says “No one is available to take your call. Goodbye.” and hangs up.’

‘Too bad for all the struggling families out there relying on their payments and subsidies schemes.’

Many sympathised with Harris and indicated they’ve gone through similar experiences.

Others meanwhile expressed their frustration at officials they think are out-of-touch.

‘Ha! That's why us folk familiar with Centrelink laugh bitterly when a minister or whoever says just call Centrelink — like it's the easiest thing in the world,’ one woman shared.

‘We’ve been saying it for months,’ another said. ‘People in a privileged position don’t know and probably don’t care.’

One even tagged the official account of Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth: ‘The Aged Care line just stays on hold forever. They have no intention of answering. Appalling, @AmandaRishworth.’

‘Not downplaying the seriousness of this, but this is happening across the entire economy,’ a man replied.

‘No doubt it is,’ Harris said. ‘But this is a government service. It should be functional enough for people who need it to be able to access it.’

In response to the development, a spokesperson for Services Australia, the agency overseeing Centrelink, apologised.

‘We are experiencing a surge in calls at the moment, and we’re sorry to hear people are having trouble reaching us,’ the spokesperson said.

View attachment 12730
One mum got an unfortunate taste of one of Aussies’ common complaints about Centrelink: its phone lines. Image Credit: Unsplash

‘Services Australia [Centrelink] has ended the practice of blocking calls during customer surges and we encourage anyone who needs to speak with us to try again — people are getting through, and our staff are working hard to answer all calls.’

‘We also know people want options when it comes to doing their business with us, and that’s why we’re also investing in face-to-face and digital support,’ the spokesperson added.

‘For people who are interested in doing more online when and where it suits them, we now have digital coaches who can provide in-person support to increase confidence using our online services.’

It seems all is good on Harris’ end too, as she said in a follow-up post that her concerns have since been addressed after managing to get in touch with Centrelink.

‘Someone gave me the tip to call first thing in the morning at 8.30 so you’re first in the queue, I still had to wait half an hour on hold but at least they actually put me in the queue! Otherwise, I’ve also been told to try after 7pm,’ she shared.

Key Takeaways

• Aussie mum and ABC reporter Lia Harris has shared her experience trying to call Centrelink and being unable to get through due to staffing shortages.
  • Services Australia apologised and said it has ended the practice of blocking calls during customer surges.
  • The agency said they were also investing in face-to-face and digital support, and providing in-person support for those interested in using their online services.
The General Manager Hank Jongen also issued a similar appeal after it was reported that the average wait time for seniors calling their Older Australians line, 132 300, was 24 minutes and 18 seconds on average.

Most notably, some members scoffed at the figure and said they were put on hold for much longer.

‘Only 24 minutes! I waited 45 minutes last week,’ @Shaken added. ‘I have applied for age pension over three months ago (provided all paperwork required) and apart from computer-generated texts every ten days telling me my claim is being assessed. (I have received) NOTHING!’

‘I am a single woman and I’ve used up all my savings before applying and now I have nothing. It’s very scary.’

And lastly @JayKay added: ‘(Twenty-four) minutes is not even a wait. Try 3 hours, 17 minutes, being told you are progressing in the queue, then you hear a click, thinking your turn has arrived, oh whoops, they hang up on you!’

View attachment 12731
Some members previously shared their experiences on hold — and even dropped — at Centrelink’s Older Australians line. Image Credit: Pexels/SHVETS production

In other news, Centrelink announced changes in its payments policy last January which could lead to potential suspensions for some seniors. Read here to know more.

The royal commission on Robodebt also uncovered a disturbing fact in one recent hearing: there were deliberate attempts to silence vocal critics of the unlawful measure — at least, according to a former worker.

So, what are your thoughts on Harris’ experience? What measures do you think the government can make that would help more Aussies access much-needed aid?

That would be because the Government is probably looking to buy new Government cars or prop someone up overseas with a few hundred million so we, the Australian public have to do without, cost cutting to prop up the needs of the Government so they can look good to all the other countries. Thats all it is. These Governments have got to realise Australia is GROWING not shrinking or downsizing, they must spend more money on Australia, not less, until they work this out or Australians revolt somehow soon nothing is going to change.

About time that Centrelink's management learnt that Centrelink was designed as a service centre for the tax-paying public, not to make a profit by not employing enough staff to do the job properly.

Oh, you mean that Centrelink has been privatised?

Sounds like business as usual these days.

View attachment 12730

Key Takeaways

View attachment 12731

This has been going on for many years and it gets worse as time progresses. Empty chairs where staff should be sitting and not so happy staff to deal with encouraging you to use the internet. Well, us oldies do not want to use the internet and it frustrates us, we do not want to go out and learn how to use their resources when they have staff there to help. I have told them in person that they just want to get rid of the elderly generation by causing us such enormous amount of stress. I cannot stay in line for 15-20 minutes, as disabled, to be told to phone and make an appointment after trying for three days to get through unsuccessfully. This is a decade plus problem which will never be rectified as they do not care. Because one person got their problem sorted does not make them good at all. I tried the voice activated, press button line to order a statement months ago and never received it. It is a nightmare.

View attachment 12730

Key Takeaways

View attachment 12731

My daughter who found herself out of work before Xmas has also been having these problems. First she couldn't upload the documents they required, then had to get new documents in a different format to reload them. Then they were still not happy with what she had submitted. So for the last 2 weeks she's been trying to call them only to be cut off everytime. Now if she can't get in touch with them, they have said time will elapse and then she will have to start her application all over again and they won't backdate it to the day she finished work, it will start from the date of the new application. In the meantime she hasn't received any money since before xmas, she has bills and a mortgage to pay on her own but the phone keeps hanging up on her. They need to employ more staff to answer these calls.

View attachment 12730

Key Takeaways

View attachment 12731

I've had my calls lost or disconnected after waiting for over half an hour

We have a new party in power and all they've done is crucify the previous government about all & sundry and low and behold they're no better than their predecessors.

Albo, get off your high horse long enough to kick The Hon Justine Elliot MP in the butt. It's her portfolio.

Let's stop blaming the poor overworked buggers at Centrelink, it isn't their fault!!

My experiences with Centrelink have mostly been negative. Most of the staff in the town where I live have no compassion, aren’t interested in helping anyone, they tell people, “you need to do it online,oh, and we have computers here for you to use if you don’t have one”. Or ring up, never mind that you can rarely get through and if you do you are put on hold for hours only to find when you get to speak to a real person they can’t help you anyway, you are told to get online and find out what you want to know. For years you couldn’t make an appointment to speak to someone so had to attend the office and sit for at least an hour, even if you were the only one there, before you got to talk to anyone. Now you can make appointments, they kept that quiet, I went with my grandson and no we didn’t have an appointment, didn’t know we needed one, so we were given an appointment time for two days later as they didn’t want us just waiting to see someone. We went back with an appointment and still waited over an hour. Then we were told to do it on the computer, never mind we had tried and it didn’t work, well go home and try again we were told, we don’t get paid to do a claim for you. I would like to see only people who have had to be on benefits previously be employed by Centrelink, not the pompous, look down my nose people they do employ, the service would be so much better than what we get now.

This has been going on for many years and it gets worse as time progresses. Empty chairs where staff should be sitting and not so happy staff to deal with encouraging you to use the internet. Well, us oldies do not want to use the internet and it frustrates us, we do not want to go out and learn how to use their resources when they have staff there to help. I have told them in person that they just want to get rid of the elderly generation by causing us such enormous amount of stress. I cannot stay in line for 15-20 minutes, as disabled, to be told to phone and make an appointment after trying for three days to get through unsuccessfully. This is a decade plus problem which will never be rectified as they do not care. Because one person got their problem sorted does not make them good at all. I tried the voice activated, press button line to order a statement months ago and never received it. It is a nightmare.
That is bloody ridiculous, I feel for you

Reactions: Rosalie30
I'd failed with calling them on a phone just recently, so I chose just to walk in to their office to make an appointment. Although it had taken me quite a few visits to get one thing completely done, but I was still able to get some help from them at least. I think, they do need some improvement, the call handling, the online system and the whole department management. And I must say that there 'are' somehow some very nice staff there trying to help through this dark tunnel. ╰(*´︶`*)╯

My daughter who found herself out of work before Xmas has also been having these problems. First she couldn't upload the documents they required, then had to get new documents in a different format to reload them. Then they were still not happy with what she had submitted. So for the last 2 weeks she's been trying to call them only to be cut off everytime. Now if she can't get in touch with them, they have said time will elapse and then she will have to start her application all over again and they won't backdate it to the day she finished work, it will start from the date of the new application. In the meantime she hasn't received any money since before xmas, she has bills and a mortgage to pay on her own but the phone keeps hanging up on her. They need to employ more staff to answer these calls.
Most of the people on centrelink should be working. Every business I know is short of staff and here we have your daughter out of work and applying for centrelink to pay all her bills. Seems like she is capable of working and what a great opportunity to get a job. So sick of whingers carrying on when all they have to do is knock on any door and get a job. Centrelink should only be used as a stop gap when jobs are unavailable yet everywhere you go today jobs are advertised - Far too many lazy people around - Sorry so many people I know are tired and exhausted because of staff shortages so no sympathy.

This is extraordinary for a Government Public Service that affects a high percentage of the population, and Welfare, yet they can't get people to answer the phones? What about those on Job Search or other 'packages' and payments they pay? Is this main Institution becoming automated too?

We have a new party in power and all they've done is crucify the previous government about all & sundry and low and behold they're no better than their predecessors.

Albo, get off your high horse long enough to kick The Hon Justine Elliot MP in the butt. It's her portfolio.

Let's stop blaming the poor overworked buggers at Centrelink, it isn't their fault!!
Totally agree this is a major Government Department.

View attachment 12730

Key Takeaways

View attachment 12731

This afternoon I was chatting to the farmer where I am camped and he said he had tried to call ATO was told "All our lines are busy" and they hung up. Not even an offer to wait.

Most of the people on centrelink should be working. Every business I know is short of staff and here we have your daughter out of work and applying for centrelink to pay all her bills. Seems like she is capable of working and what a great opportunity to get a job. So sick of whingers carrying on when all they have to do is knock on any door and get a job. Centrelink should only be used as a stop gap when jobs are unavailable yet everywhere you go today jobs are advertised - Far too many lazy people around - Sorry so many people I know are tired and exhausted because of staff shortages so no sympathy.
Such lovely encouraging comments - NOT! You do not know what issues this girl may have. 🙁

View attachment 12730

Key Takeaways

View attachment 12731

Put on more staff ...I have to ring every fortnight and report my earnings as Im not meeting my requirements for work not my fault my employer has cut my hours...you can't submit your report online..no option as you're not meeting your requied hours...so I join the Centrelink queue and wait and explain my predicament and take up their time....plenty of times I've been so frustrated with waiting regarding other Centrelink problems I've gone down to my local office...a place I really try to avoid....then I gave to fight to be seen as they try and fob me off.....no I stand my ground and wait...they don't understand the frustration of people in hardship.....my idea is to get rid of DES work providers as they are hopeless and the govt would be saving massive amounts of money .DES PROVIDERS do not work....

Reactions: Rob44
My experiences with Centrelink have mostly been negative. Most of the staff in the town where I live have no compassion, aren’t interested in helping anyone, they tell people, “you need to do it online,oh, and we have computers here for you to use if you don’t have one”. Or ring up, never mind that you can rarely get through and if you do you are put on hold for hours only to find when you get to speak to a real person they can’t help you anyway, you are told to get online and find out what you want to know. For years you couldn’t make an appointment to speak to someone so had to attend the office and sit for at least an hour, even if you were the only one there, before you got to talk to anyone. Now you can make appointments, they kept that quiet, I went with my grandson and no we didn’t have an appointment, didn’t know we needed one, so we were given an appointment time for two days later as they didn’t want us just waiting to see someone. We went back with an appointment and still waited over an hour. Then we were told to do it on the computer, never mind we had tried and it didn’t work, well go home and try again we were told, we don’t get paid to do a claim for you. I would like to see only people who have had to be on benefits previously be employed by Centrelink, not the pompous, look down my nose people they do employ, the service would be so much better than what we get now.
Soooo agree.