An attempt to silence Robodebt victims? Royal commission unearths terrifying details

In the aftermath of the government’s error-ridden debt recovery program known as Robodebt, an official inquiry has uncovered alarming evidence.

Rachelle Miller, a former Media Adviser to the former Human Services Minister, Alan Tudge, revealed to the royal commission on Robodebt that the personal information of some victims was deliberately leaked to the media in an attempt to stop widespread criticism of the program’s flaws — including targeting those who spoke out.

Tudge, currently the Shadow Minister for Education, led the former Coalition government’s social services portfolio from 2016-2017, during which Miller served under him.

She was the media liaison for human services at the time when concerns on Robodebt came to light.

Miller told the commission that they were aware of the ‘proliferation’ of unfavourable press coverage and that they noted the ‘growing and growing’ reportage was ‘predominantly in the left-wing media’.

‘We weren't too concerned because it wasn't unusual that the left-wing media were attacking us regarding social policy,’ she said.

pexels-photo-6963032.jpg
The Robodebt scandal had many Aussies shocked at receiving erroneous debt notices. Image Credit: Pexels/Mikhail Nilov

Despite this, Miller said that the critical media coverage prompted a response that involved ‘more friendly media’.

Justin Greggery KC, Senior Assisting Counsel at the commission, asked at one point: ‘You said the media demand was very high …(it) was generally adverse … heavily critical. Would you say that… the media situation was in crisis mode?’

‘Yes,’ she admitted, ‘But I didn't think it was not able to be shut down.’

‘The Prime Minister (Malcom Turnbull) was unhappy with the escalating media issue around (Robodebt) … we were trying to contain it.’

Miller claimed that the growing public fallout spurred Tudge to instruct her to orchestrate a response.

‘I developed a crisis media strategy at the request of the minister — he was very firm with me that I needed to shut this story down,’ she said.

‘That involved … placing stories with the more friendly media, the right-wing media, about how the Coalition was actually catching people who were cheating the welfare system.’

According to Miller, her scheme had some success, especially in ‘key’ Coalition seats such as Western Sydney. However, the critical media coverage continued.

‘We had a continued crisis in the left-wing media that wasn’t seeming to die down,’ she said.

This prompted a rather drastic response from the Coalition-led government as Miller revealed: using ‘case studies’ to discourage people from speaking out.

Screenshot_3.png
Miller alleges that they resorted to drastic means to counter intense media coverage of the Robodebt program’s woes. Image Credit: Pexels/RODNAE Productions

‘The minister requested the file of every single person who appeared in the media … you could see the exact transactions that they'd had with Centrelink,’ she said.

‘This would send a clear message … that maybe consider (going to the media) twice.’

‘There were less people speaking out in the media, which was our intention.’

Miller also said that her strategy also involved retaliation at the Labor party by looking for debts traceable when they held majority power in government

‘The minister was really, really… forceful about obtaining these case studies. He was very adamant with me that I needed to hunt as many case studies as I could,’ she said.

‘That was to throw back to Labor that: ”You would let these guys go.”’

Tudge has yet to publicly comment on Miller’s allegations.

The two were previously mired in controversy when Miller lodged a formal complaint against Tudge (notably involving Senator Michaelia Cash) in 2020 citing unfair work treatment.

She also claimed a year later that Tudge was physically and emotionally abusive towards her, alleging in one instance Tudge swore at her and kicked her out of bed.

Miller received a $650,000 settlement from the Federal Government for her claims.

Tudge for his part said he rejects liability for the program’s failures, including responsibility for ensuring that Robodebt was legal.

Watch Miller’s testimony below starting at the 1:50:37 mark.

Source: YouTube/Robodebt Royal Commission

Robodebt, a scheme started in 2015 to recover money from Australians said to owe the government.

The alleged debts that welfare recipients received were the result of income averaging, where a person’s reported income was compared with Australian Tax Office records.

While on paper the concept sounds promising, it resulted in many claims of people being billed for incorrect balances.

In some cases, people were billed as much as $65,000 in payment.

An estimated 433,000 people shelled out a total of $2 billion in payments now recognised as unlawful.

Key Takeaways

• Rachelle Miller, former Media Adviser to ex-Department of Human Services Minister Alan Tudge, said the personal information of Robodebt victims was released to ‘friendly’ media in an effort to deter more people from speaking out.
  • Miller said the government adopted a counter-narrative strategy to stifle media criticism of the scheme which falsely accused hundreds of thousands of welfare recipients of owing money to Centrelink.
  • She also alleged that their strategy involved digging up dirt on payments missed by Labor when they were last in power.
  • Alan Tudge has yet to comment on the matter.
  • Tudge is set to appear next in the royal commission's hearings.
The program was shut down in 2020, with hundreds of thousands of then-existing debts waived by the government citing the shaky legal ground of using average income as the basis of debt.

Meanwhile, a $1.8 billion settlement was doled out in 2022 to around 430,000 people who filed a class action suit against Robodebt.

It is expected that the final results of the royal commission’s inquiry will be out by April 13.

Still, for some families, the resolution to the scandal is too late.

If you or anyone you know are struggling with debt, we highly encourage getting in touch with the National Debt Helpline at 1800 007 007.

If you have time, you might also want to check out these stories:
So, what are your thoughts on this shocking admission from Miller? If her claims are accurate, what do you think the implications will be?

Tell us your thoughts below!

• Angry
Reactions: BJM and Shane/#
Sponsored
Hopefully, from this incident people will realise that the government is NOT your friend. They don't care about you at all. They just pretend because it gets votes. The Australian government has incorporated this country in 1973 and Australia is a PYT LTD registered on the stock exchange.
They want total control over every aspect of your life. Open your eyes and look past the lying main stream media which is just a propaganda tool for the government. Look at independent news sources and become aware what they have in store for us all. Look up World Economic Forum and Klaus Schwab. If these unelected criminals get away with what they've planned your children and grand children will live in a world where they will have no freedom at all.
For your own and your children's sake, do some research with an open mind. Wake up to reality of where we are being led.

So Tudge and Miller were in a relationship apparently having an affair and why did Miller receive a payout of $650,000 🤔
"She also claimed a year later that Tudge was physically and emotionally abusive towards her, alleging in one instance Tudge swore at her and kicked her out of bed.
Miller received a $650,000 settlement from the Federal Government for her claims"

Reactions: Morgans Orchard
In the aftermath of the government’s error-ridden debt recovery program known as Robodebt, an official inquiry has uncovered alarming evidence.

Rachelle Miller, a former Media Adviser to the former Human Services Minister, Alan Tudge, revealed to the royal commission on Robodebt that the personal information of some victims was deliberately leaked to the media in an attempt to stop widespread criticism of the program’s flaws — including targeting those who spoke out.

Tudge, currently the Shadow Minister for Education, led the former Coalition government’s social services portfolio from 2016-2017, during which Miller served under him.

She was the media liaison for human services at the time when concerns on Robodebt came to light.

Miller told the commission that they were aware of the ‘proliferation’ of unfavourable press coverage and that they noted the ‘growing and growing’ reportage was ‘predominantly in the left-wing media’.

‘We weren't too concerned because it wasn't unusual that the left-wing media were attacking us regarding social policy,’ she said.

View attachment 12609
The Robodebt scandal had many Aussies shocked at receiving erroneous debt notices. Image Credit: Pexels/Mikhail Nilov

Despite this, Miller said that the critical media coverage prompted a response that involved ‘more friendly media’.

Justin Greggery KC, Senior Assisting Counsel at the commission, asked at one point: ‘You said the media demand was very high …(it) was generally adverse … heavily critical. Would you say that… the media situation was in crisis mode?’

‘The Prime Minister (Malcom Turnbull) was unhappy with the escalating media issue around (Robodebt) … we were trying to contain it.’

Miller claimed that the growing public fallout spurred Tudge to instruct her to orchestrate a response.

‘I developed a crisis media strategy at the request of the minister — he was very firm with me that I needed to shut this story down,’ she said.

‘That involved … placing stories with the more friendly media, the right-wing media, about how the Coalition was actually catching people who were cheating the welfare system.’

According to Miller, her scheme had some success, especially in ‘key’ Coalition seats such as Western Sydney. However, the critical media coverage continued.

‘We had a continued crisis in the left-wing media that wasn’t seeming to die down,’ she said.

This prompted a rather drastic response from the Coalition-led government as Miller revealed: using ‘case studies’ to discourage people from speaking out.

View attachment 12608
Miller alleges that they resorted to drastic means to counter intense media coverage of the Robodebt program’s woes. Image Credit: Pexels/RODNAE Productions

‘The minister requested the file of every single person who appeared in the media … you could see the exact transactions that they'd had with Centrelink,’ she said.

‘This would send a clear message … that maybe consider (going to the media) twice.’

Miller also said that her strategy also involved retaliation at the Labor party by looking for debts traceable when they held majority power in government

‘The minister was really, really… forceful about obtaining these case studies. He was very adamant with me that I needed to hunt as many case studies as I could,’ she said.

The two were previously mired in controversy when Miller lodged a formal complaint against Tudge (notably involving Senator Michaelia Cash) in 2020 citing unfair work treatment.

She also claimed a year later that Tudge was physically and emotionally abusive towards her, alleging in one instance Tudge swore at her and kicked her out of bed.

Miller received a $650,000 settlement from the Federal Government for her claims.

Tudge for his part said he rejects liability for the program’s failures, including responsibility for ensuring that Robodebt was legal.

Robodebt, a scheme started in 2015 to recover money from Australians said to owe the government.

The alleged debts that welfare recipients received were the result of income averaging, where a person’s reported income was compared with Australian Tax Office records.

While on paper the concept sounds promising, it resulted in many claims of people being billed for incorrect balances.

An estimated 433,000 people shelled out a total of $2 billion in payments now recognised as unlawful.

Key Takeaways

• Rachelle Miller, former Media Adviser to ex-Department of Human Services Minister Alan Tudge, said the personal information of Robodebt victims was released to ‘friendly’ media in an effort to deter more people from speaking out.
  • Miller said the government adopted a counter-narrative strategy to stifle media criticism of the scheme which falsely accused hundreds of thousands of welfare recipients of owing money to Centrelink.
  • She also alleged that their strategy involved digging up dirt on payments missed by Labor when they were last in power.
The program was shut down in 2020, with hundreds of thousands of then-existing debts waived by the government citing the shaky legal ground of using average income as the basis of debt.

Meanwhile, a $1.8 billion settlement was doled out in 2022 to around 430,000 people who filed a class action suit against Robodebt.

It is expected that the final results of the royal commission’s inquiry will be out by April 13.

If you or anyone you know are struggling with debt, we highly encourage getting in touch with the National Debt Helpline at 1800 007 007.

So, what are your thoughts on this shocking admission from Miller? If her claims are accurate, what do you think the implications will be?

Miller gets a six figure pay out for being sworn at and kicked out of bed obviously having a relationship with her boss gives no apathy to robodet recipients that committed suicide etc Murdoch's media covering up for the Liberal government why an't these people in jail 🙄 this ex government needs more investigation into it's secret dealings and jail time scum of the Australian people 🤬

Miller gets a six figure pay out for being sworn at and kicked out of bed obviously having a relationship with her boss gives no apathy to robodet recipients that committed suicide etc Murdoch's media covering up for the Liberal government why an't these people in jail 🙄 this ex government needs more investigation into it's secret dealings and jail time scum of the Australian people 🤬
It's not only the last government that was corrupt. They are ALL corrupt and only look after themselves!! Look at their pay rates and their retirement package. It's eye watering. They cannot be trusted.

Hopefully, from this incident people will realise that the government is NOT your friend. They don't care about you at all. They just pretend because it gets votes. The Australian government has incorporated this country in 1973 and Australia is a PYT LTD registered on the stock exchange.
They want total control over every aspect of your life. Open your eyes and look past the lying main stream media which is just a propaganda tool for the government. Look at independent news sources and become aware what they have in store for us all. Look up World Economic Forum and Klaus Schwab. If these unelected criminals get away with what they've planned your children and grand children will live in a world where they will have no freedom at all.
For your own and your children's sake, do some research with an open mind. Wake up to reality of where we are being led.
MM
For your own and your children's sake, do some research with an open mind. Wake up to reality of where we are being l
My son, who is an avid reader, has been telling me exactly the same thing for many years.
I used to think he was talking rubbish, but after doing some research, unfortunately I now believe this correct.
I feel sorry for my grand children for the world they are going to inherit because, like me in the past,
most people do not care enough to worry about what is going on in the world and are just happy enough to just drift along.

Reactions: JedCorella
I've accused of being a conspiracy nut for years. I've lost friends and family member who cut contact with me as a result of my "radical" views. They prefer to live with their head in the sand and ignore the reality that is upon us. The only way to combat this is to NOT conform. You can't win taking them head on because they have a terror group on their side. It's called the police force and if you doubt that just look what happened in Victoria. A lot of good cops have left the force and what we now is tattooed thugs, pumped up on steroids, dressed as Batman enforcing their mandates. All I can say is "get ready for the next wave of Covaids because it's coming." Get out of debt as much as you can and stock up on essentials because this next "wave" will be worse than the one we just had. Just remember "2 weeks to flatten the curve." It's been 3 years and we are still getting told we need booster after booster.

Reactions: Ziggy

View attachment 12609

View attachment 12608

Key Takeaways

Just what I'd expect from an LNP government ! The buck is supposed to stop with the relevant minister, BUT, when the proverbial S**T hits the fan - It's not my Job, mate I don't hold a hose, Mate, comes into play !

Just what I'd expect from an LNP government ! The buck is supposed to stop with the relevant minister, BUT, when the proverbial S**T hits the fan - It's not my Job, mate I don't hold a hose, Mate, comes into play !
Labor, Liberal, it doesn't make any difference. They are all tarred with the same brush. With elections the "mouth pieces" change but everything below stays the same. It just gives us the illusion of choice. Haven't got this yet? Look what lLabor is doing with its climate policy. Everything that is renewable comes from China and we've all seen how the CCP can be trusted when they pulled the rug out from under some of our exporters. Why didn't the Australian government stop brining in their rubbish cars and a lot of their other garbage? I think we all know the answer to that one but we choose to ignore it because their stuff is cheap.