Is bleach your go-to cleaning product? Professional cleaner advises to THINK TWICE before using bleach to clean your bathroom — here’s why

Is bleach your go-to cleaning product? Professional cleaner advises to THINK TWICE before using bleach to clean your bathroom — here’s why
For so many of us, bleach is a staple cleaning product, especially when it comes to getting rid of tough stains in the bathroom.

If you're anything like us who resort to using bleach in a bid to remove that one stubborn bit of grime or soap scum on your bathroom tiles, then you might want to have a rethink, as one professional cleaner warns of the dangers of this cleaning product.

lE2PlyQu3Rz5-tE32HJhN9fsWOiEQul_7BZNM4qjPVnDiLB60yI0Sse7nlj4kPPgfsk8vJBKY_AMZeGFc990AiWYvl7vWE4yw0xwlEgLd3DPexEQgRITxvlObokKFxGMxUvKZ5Y

Kacie from The Big Clean Co warned against using bleach consistently. Credit: TikTok/@thebigcleanco.

Melbourne professional cleaner, Kacie from The Big Clean Co, claims that using bleach to clean your bathroom (or anything, really) actually does more harm than good — especially when it comes to tiles and silicone.

Kacie took to TikTok to explain why we should abstain from using bleach.

“Bleach will destroy the whole point of silicone (keeping moisture out of crevices),” she said.

So, what should be our new go-to cleaning product?

Kacie said that her go-to cleaning product is dishwashing liquid.

The professional cleaner said: “The thing about dishwashing liquid and the reason it’s our go-to product is that it’s just about as close as you’re going to get to a neutral PH (like water).”

Although occasional use of bleach is a must for removing extremely stubborn mould, using it consistently can cause long-term damage to your tiles, grout, and silicone.

In this clip, Kacie shows the effects of using bleach consistently, emphasising that the cleaning product erodes the grout and creates unfixable tiny holes.

Credit: TikTok/@thebigcleanco

She also advised against the use of lemons for removing grime from their bathroom tiles.

If you're wondering what we should use to clean tiles and grout, Kacie said that making a DIY cleaning paste using hydrogen peroxide and soda bicarbonate will do just fine.

“If you want something that’s natural you can just make a paste with bi-carb and cleaning vinegar and you can just brush that on your grout,” she said.

“Thicker for a paste, thinner for a spray. Let it sit for a little while before scrubbing and washing off.”

Have you discovered any other non-chemical or DIY cleaning products that we can use to clean our bathroom tiles and grout? Share them with us in the comments below so other members of the SDC can use them too!

Reactions: Liag
Sponsored
The alternative is to not use soap in the bathroom. For years now I have only used body wash and liquid hand wash and have not had a soap scum problem. About once a week, at the end of my shower I use a quick squirt of body wash on an old body scrubber to clean the glass shower screen hose it off and job done.

The alternative is to not use soap in the bathroom. For years now I have only used body wash and liquid hand wash and have not had a soap scum problem. About once a week, at the end of my shower I use a quick squirt of body wash on an old body scrubber to clean the glass shower screen hose it off and job done.
Same here Ricci but that damn shampoo and conditioner leaves scum as does natural body oils.

I have only used body wash for some years now and have not had a problem with soap scum even though I use shampoo to wash my hair. I also wash down the tiles after every shower. I have a small hand held shower head for that purpose.

I use vinegar and bi carb, and wipe my tiles down with a shammy every day. I cannot use bleach because of my lungs and it shouldn't be used in a confined space. Dangerous for everyone's lungs.

Reactions: carosb13 and Ricci
I'll have to remember all this .....we are moving into a brand new house in about six months time so I should start out by doing things the right way????

Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
I have been using vinegar and bicarb for years in the bathroom and toilet and it works fine. I avoid chemicals where possible as I have a cute pet bird.

Reactions: Liz and Ricci
For so many of us, bleach is a staple cleaning product, especially when it comes to getting rid of tough stains in the bathroom.

If you're anything like us who resort to using bleach in a bid to remove that one stubborn bit of grime or soap scum on your bathroom tiles, then you might want to have a rethink, as one professional cleaner warns of the dangers of this cleaning product.

lE2PlyQu3Rz5-tE32HJhN9fsWOiEQul_7BZNM4qjPVnDiLB60yI0Sse7nlj4kPPgfsk8vJBKY_AMZeGFc990AiWYvl7vWE4yw0xwlEgLd3DPexEQgRITxvlObokKFxGMxUvKZ5Y

Kacie from The Big Clean Co warned against using bleach consistently. Credit: TikTok/@thebigcleanco.

Melbourne professional cleaner, Kacie from The Big Clean Co, claims that using bleach to clean your bathroom (or anything, really) actually does more harm than good — especially when it comes to tiles and silicone.

Kacie took to TikTok to explain why we should abstain from using bleach.

“Bleach will destroy the whole point of silicone (keeping moisture out of crevices),” she said.

So, what should be our new go-to cleaning product?

Kacie said that her go-to cleaning product is dishwashing liquid.

The professional cleaner said: “The thing about dishwashing liquid and the reason it’s our go-to product is that it’s just about as close as you’re going to get to a neutral PH (like water).”

Although occasional use of bleach is a must for removing extremely stubborn mould, using it consistently can cause long-term damage to your tiles, grout, and silicone.

In this clip, Kacie shows the effects of using bleach consistently, emphasising that the cleaning product erodes the grout and creates unfixable tiny holes.

She also advised against the use of lemons for removing grime from their bathroom tiles.

If you're wondering what we should use to clean tiles and grout, Kacie said that making a DIY cleaning paste using hydrogen peroxide and soda bicarbonate will do just fine.

“If you want something that’s natural you can just make a paste with bi-carb and cleaning vinegar and you can just brush that on your grout,” she said.

“Thicker for a paste, thinner for a spray. Let it sit for a little while before scrubbing and washing off.”

Have you discovered any other non-chemical or DIY cleaning products that we can use to clean our bathroom tiles and grout? Share them with us in the comments below so other members of the SDC can use them too!

I use bleach to clean my bathroom vinyl which is white and it does a great job. It brings back the whiteness of the vinyl. Sometimes I use it to clean the toilet bow. Once again, it does a great job!

Reactions: 68autobug and Ricci
Steam is my go to cleaner. There are pros & cons with everything BUT for me….
I rave on about this product. I’ve been doing it this way for many years and absolutely love it.
I have a karcher steam cleaner. I clean every surface in the bathroom toilet and laundry this includes the walls & floors not forgetting the grout too. The tiled soap dish the taps with and occasionally without the shroud so I can keep it clean. The plug and drain rings,the tiled floors throughout the rest of the house as well. In the kitchen I use it on the stainless steel range, it’s brilliant.
It’s an amazing household cleaning tool to have just as important as the vacuum.
I store it in a broom cupboard all neatly away out of site. So I have to get it out, un ravel the hose and electric cord turn on after checking the water level or adding more water the wait a minute or two for the steam ti generate. It sounds a bore but once you get the hang of it you’ll rave on about it like me. It takes a bit of getting use to after using chemicals for years but once you ditch them and perceive you’ll see the benefits and feel the clean.
It truly is remarkable.

Steam is my go to cleaner. There are pros & cons with everything BUT for me….
I rave on about this product. I’ve been doing it this way for many years and absolutely love it.
I have a karcher steam cleaner. I clean every surface in the bathroom toilet and laundry this includes the walls & floors not forgetting the grout too. The tiled soap dish the taps with and occasionally without the shroud so I can keep it clean. The plug and drain rings,the tiled floors throughout the rest of the house as well. In the kitchen I use it on the stainless steel range, it’s brilliant.
It’s an amazing household cleaning tool to have just as important as the vacuum.
I store it in a broom cupboard all neatly away out of site. So I have to get it out, un ravel the hose and electric cord turn on after checking the water level or adding more water the wait a minute or two for the steam ti generate. It sounds a bore but once you get the hang of it you’ll rave on about it like me. It takes a bit of getting use to after using chemicals for years but once you ditch them and perceive you’ll see the benefits and feel the clean.
It truly is remarkable.
I have considered getting a steam cleaner for the floors in the house that are not carpeted we have a combination of Vinyl and tiles but I have been put off by the amount of floor space there is that I need to keep clean. The removable pads used on the steam cleaners would not last five minutes without needing to be changed. I am showing my age but I still use the old string mop on my vinyl and tiles and If I feel the need to clean the mop head I will just soak it in the mop bucket in clean water with disinfectant and whichever floor cleaner I am using. Alternatively my husband will be asked to Change the mop head, replacing it with a new one. I am also guilty of still using Domestos/Bleach to clean the toilet bowl with, being a child of the fifties I cannot get over thinking it (the toilet) is not really clean and germ free if I don't use Bleach. All the combinations of natural and or Pantry products we are being advised to use instead of chemical based products just confuse the hell out of me and I don't know where to start with them, I have also purchased some nice new spray bottles to start my green clean journey which are at the moment staring at me from the Laundry shelf !!

• Haha
Reactions: Thecla and Ricci
I have considered getting a steam cleaner for the floors in the house that are not carpeted we have a combination of Vinyl and tiles but I have been put off by the amount of floor space there is that I need to keep clean. The removable pads used on the steam cleaners would not last five minutes without needing to be changed. I am showing my age but I still use the old string mop on my vinyl and tiles and If I feel the need to clean the mop head I will just soak it in the mop bucket in clean water with disinfectant and whichever floor cleaner I am using. Alternatively my husband will be asked to Change the mop head, replacing it with a new one. I am also guilty of still using Domestos/Bleach to clean the toilet bowl with, being a child of the fifties I cannot get over thinking it (the toilet) is not really clean and germ free if I don't use Bleach. All the combinations of natural and or Pantry products we are being advised to use instead of chemical based products just confuse the hell out of me and I don't know where to start with them, I have also purchased some nice new spray bottles to start my green clean journey which are at the moment staring at me from the Laundry shelf !!
Ricci I too am a 50's gal and my fave product is domestos.....the smell of bleach makes everything look and feel clean although in the kitchen I am using a product called KOH. Started using that when my son put in my new kitchen about 7 years ago and it keeps everything ship shape although with my hubbys constant spilling when making the cups of tea and not wiping up after him has caused me to use jiff to brighten that area up. As I sit here typing this I look under my desk and there sits my steam shark...tried it a few times but really didn't like it.

Reactions: Ricci