Is Australia's cash hoarding problem getting out of control?

These days, it seems like everything can be done with the click of a button or a tap on a screen. We can shop online, order food delivery and pay our bills without ever having to handle those pesky banknotes and coins.

Does that mean that cash will slowly disappear from the economy? Well, the answer is no. But lately, many Aussies seem to be stockpiling their cash instead of using it like they used to – which is also becoming a problem.

According to the Reserve Bank, right now, there are approximately 18 $100 notes and 38 $50 notes per person in Australia. And about $4,000 each when adding the smaller notes and coins.

But most people have none – which means some people are ‘cash hoarding’.

And the RBA has no idea where the cash is ‘hiding’.

Governor Phillip Lowe said at a dinner in Hobart earlier this month: ‘I don’t have my share of these [cash notes] or know many people who do.’

cashless.jpg
Where’s the money? The Reserve Bank is also unsure. Credit: Pixabay in Pexels

Fifteen years ago, cash was used in 69 per cent of transactions. In 2013, it was down to 47 per cent. In 2019, it lowered to 27 per cent. New data will come out next year, and experts have predicted that the use of cash in the economy has dropped even more.

Governor Lowe continued: ‘Our analysis is that most of these bank notes are being held as a store of value.’

This means that there’s around $100 billion worth of physical cash in the Australian economy, but it’s being used less and less. The inflation crisis is also affecting people’s cash on hand – specifically, how ‘safe’ the cash is at home.

Jason Catlow, the Director of the Aus Lock and Safe Company in Melbourne, said that ‘the prices people want to pay has drifted right back’.

He shared that before interest rates started rising and cost inflation soared, people were spending between $4,000 and $5,000 on home safes. Now, that number dropped between $1,250 to $2,500.

‘If the safe gets broken into, and if someone has $100,000 in a safe that was rated for $20,000, the insurance company might ask questions.’

cashless2.jpg
Are you guilty of hoarding cash too? Credit: Debraj Chanda in Pexels

During COVID, cash was something that people wanted to hoard.

‘The role of cash as a precautionary store of wealth in times of uncertainty has been evident during the COVID-19 pandemic, where there was a significant increase in demand for high-denomination banknotes,’ said the RBA back in 2020.

‘I thought that the attractiveness of holding banknotes as a store of value might decline, but there is little sign of that yet’, shared Governor Lowe.

In a previous article, we mentioned that although Australians are opting to use tap-and-go payments for their daily transactions since the pandemic hit, locals still treat physical cash as ‘gold’. You can read more about that here.
Key Takeaways

• Australians are hoarding cash at worrying new levels, with the average person holding $4000 in cash.
  • The Reserve Bank of Australia has no idea where this cash is being stored.
  • The trend has been exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic, with people looking to cash as a safe store of value.
Do you like to hold onto your cash, members? Let us know what you think about this story in the comments below!

Sponsored
Hi I still like to carry cash with me as it can do every thing & at any time
if every thing is done by card
you wages go directly into the bank & every penny you spend is on the card then big Brother knows every cent coming in & every cents that goes out & he also knows just where you spend it so there is no privacy left at all
I did it a few years ago I received my new card & a letter to tell me the password & it said " this password over rides all your other passwords "
I arrived in Rockdale & I needed some money so I went to the ATM inserted my card & I had the letter with me for the new password & it gobbled up my card & I was left with nothing then
Luckily I had plenty of petrol in my tank to get home again or I would still be there
Give me Cash any time

I use my debit card for almost everything. In the old days, I would wonder what I had spent my cash on. Now it is all easily checked on my phone with my bank account. I do not carry much cash around at all.

Reactions: Ricci
I always like to have some cash on hand for things like a loaf of bread, bottle of milk, or a drink. I don’t like to use my card for anything under $20. I work in retail and have noticed more people paying with cash again, even when buying items up to hundreds of dollars, so I think the trend of putting everything on a card, even for less than $1, is shifting. Maybe people like to be able to see what money they have rather than just keep tapping their cards until it declines.

These days, it seems like everything can be done with the click of a button or a tap on a screen. We can shop online, order food delivery and pay our bills without ever having to handle those pesky banknotes and coins.

Does that mean that cash will slowly disappear from the economy? Well, the answer is no. But lately, many Aussies seem to be stockpiling their cash instead of using it like they used to – which is also becoming a problem.

According to the Reserve Bank, right now, there are approximately 18 $100 notes and 38 $50 notes per person in Australia. And about $4,000 each when adding the smaller notes and coins.

Governor Phillip Lowe said at a dinner in Hobart earlier this month: ‘I don’t have my share of these [cash notes] or know many people who do.’

View attachment 8909

Fifteen years ago, cash was used in 69 per cent of transactions. In 2013, it was down to 47 per cent. In 2019, it lowered to 27 per cent. New data will come out next year, and experts have predicted that the use of cash in the economy has dropped even more.

Governor Lowe continued: ‘Our analysis is that most of these bank notes are being held as a store of value.’

This means that there’s around $100 billion worth of physical cash in the Australian economy, but it’s being used less and less. The inflation crisis is also affecting people’s cash on hand – specifically, how ‘safe’ the cash is at home.

Jason Catlow, the Director of the Aus Lock and Safe Company in Melbourne, said that ‘the prices people want to pay has drifted right back’.

He shared that before interest rates started rising and cost inflation soared, people were spending between $4,000 and $5,000 on home safes. Now, that number dropped between $1,250 to $2,500.

‘If the safe gets broken into, and if someone has $100,000 in a safe that was rated for $20,000, the insurance company might ask questions.’

View attachment 8910

‘The role of cash as a precautionary store of wealth in times of uncertainty has been evident during the COVID-19 pandemic, where there was a significant increase in demand for high-denomination banknotes,’ said the RBA back in 2020.

‘I thought that the attractiveness of holding banknotes as a store of value might decline, but there is little sign of that yet’, shared Governor Lowe.

In a previous article, we mentioned that although Australians are opting to use tap-and-go payments for their daily transactions since the pandemic hit, locals still treat physical cash as ‘gold’. You can read more about that here.
Key Takeaways

• Australians are hoarding cash at worrying new levels, with the average person holding $4000 in cash.
  • The trend has been exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic, with people looking to cash as a safe store of value.
Do you like to hold onto your cash, members? Let us know what you think about this story in the comments below!
We draw cash out every week to pay as we go, I don't believe in this tap and go idea, with cash I know what the limits are. I know that you get some shops that will say when you go to pay that they don't take cash which I'm not sure about the legality of that? but my answer to that is I hope you enjoy putting all my shopping back on the shelves.

I think you're all mistaken as to the reason ! I'm absolutely sure People are hoarding their cash is due to the tremendous amount of people having their money stolen by SCAMS and numerous annoying/frustrating new security measures introduced by Banks and other financial organisations to prevent scammers from stealing your money with all the mind-blowing number and variations of illegal schemes aimed at getting info from our Credit Cards and other details being gained from other sources. Some examples of these annoying security concerns are now introduced by all the Mobile companies, Banks, Superannuation Companies, Investment Organisations, Netflix STAN etc and Retailers AND who can blame them ?

Retirees, Elderly people, and the millions of people who have never needed the expertise to avoid the criminals behind these scams....some of them you have to admit are brilliant and so convincing that even Bankers etc are being caught out. Hoarding is going to become more popular unless the Government and others can come up with a successful solution. Major companies are losing millions because people will keep hanging up the phone and deleting emails etc ,from quite Ethical companies rather than take the risks that are now coming out by News media and people they know who suffered at the hands of these scammers. The risks of hoarding are much less than being amongst those who have been "taken for a ride".
BPL.
I think the answer to that in Russian is Stiffky Shitsky!!

View attachment 8909

View attachment 8910

Key Takeaways

View attachment 8909

View attachment 8910

Key Takeaways

So it appears that people are believing that the government criminals will remove cash and revert to the OWO's digital cash system and allow Banks to take your funds if they start having problems and so on....wish I could do the same but for pensioners there is very little if any money left each fortnight.