EXCLUSIVE: Reserve Bank of Australia reveals the REAL REASON why Australians are hoarding cash

EXCLUSIVE: Reserve Bank of Australia reveals the REAL REASON why Australians are hoarding cash
Tap-and-go transactions have become a popular method of payment since the onset of the pandemic last year, reducing physical contact and replacing traditional banknote and coin transactions.

However, did you know that an increasing number of Aussies are hoarding cash?

iP0bU_h_Hd-kKhPiko_P7Csk8PohX2W663TnZNJ8rdX62DzqqTH3ajHww94XA9qtx9KbDuwXhyLH5e2s_mmwQLy-mJ55mtHfje7jmVF5nEuqLo8IO9Q_s9E_Y8uTb-dDnf1P9SM

The Reserve Bank of Australia revealed that an increasing number of Australians have been withdrawing cash from ATMs to hoard them. Credit: Shutterstock/Daria Nipot.

The Reserve Bank of Australia has confirmed in a recent study that consumers are withdrawing large sums of money from teller machines, noting that the amount of banknotes in circulation has increased by 20 per cent between February 2020 and October 2021.

Additionally, about $100 billion worth of banknotes have been reported to be in circulation last month, twice the value of banknotes in circulation in 2010.

However, the Reserve Bank of Australia said that Aussies aren't withdrawing cash to purchase things. Rather, the RBA revealed that Australians have been keeping cash under their mattresses due to their distrust of banks.

The RBA said that the surge in consumers storing banknotes and coins was caused by pandemic-induced scares such as the spread of the COVID-19 virus and lockdowns.

The Reserve Bank of Australia said: 'The store-of-wealth function performed by banknotes is particularly important during times of financial and economic uncertainty, such as the Global Financial Crisis and the Covid-19 pandemic.'

The study also suggested that although Australians are opting to use tap-and-go payments for their daily transactions since the start of the pandemic, they were still treating physical cash as gold.

'Cash is increasingly used as a store of wealth,' the RBA said.

Cash hoarding is not brand new to Aussies as it was reported that three-quarters of banknotes were 'estimated to be hoarded' in 2018.

That added up to be between $50 billion and $75 billion in cash, the equivalent of about 13 per cent of Westpac's entire deposits of more than $600 billion, based on its full-year annual report.

It was also reported that high denomination money is more likely to be circulating since the pandemic, with 73 per cent of them being $50 and $100 banknotes.

0c9WURt1w9FDzN4HL9WEw3ABU64P8X-NhJvvx8kBz2sqYTx2ajL5XEOe0EQ2A_mQnnZsCsYTeN5aYk2dg3G3S7opjNhoi-NTfvx9kOP2IwpEXOHtLaGqBS1V0F01_nSWejb0KWs

Prior to the pandemic, Aussies have been shifting their payment method from cash transactions to tap-and-go payments. Credit: Daily Mail Australia.

The pandemic has also caused ATM operations to be much costlier which led to the removal of thousands of teller machines across the country, according to the Reserve Bank.

The RBA said: 'The declining use of cash for retail payments, accelerated by the Covid-19 pandemic, has placed pressure on the current cash distribution system.'

'Specifically, lower processing volumes have led to underutilisation of cash distribution infrastructure and increased the average cost of transporting and processing banknotes.'

Even before the pandemic, Aussies have been shifting to using tap-and-go payments in their daily transactions, with only 32 per cent of in-person transactions being done with cash in 2019.

High cash users were more likely to be older, have a lower income, live in a regional area, or have limited internet access.

'The majority of these high cash users indicated that they would suffer a major inconvenience or genuine hardship if they could no longer withdraw cash or if retailers stopped accepting cash,' the RBA said.

Are you storing your cash away because you don’t trust the banks? Because you’re certainly not alone!

Sponsored
I can see criminals everywhere sitting up and taking notice of that proclamation! I wonder if it takes into account the millions that drug pushers have stashed away waiting to launder? :cautious:

There have been so many bank closures and even flexi teller closures , for some people have to go several suburbs away to access cash. It seems prudent to keep more ready cash available as we have had problems with banks computer operations going down.

Yes, they keep telling us what a wonderful service they supply but it's the exact opposite...ANZ (along with other banks) shut down our local branch along with their teller machines a couple of years ago, We now have to travel a long way out of our area to do any banking...and NO, I refuse to do online banking..three friends as well as a few people in our Village and my son had their bank accounts ripped off by scammers/hackers due to doing online banking. It's not as safe as the say it is...

It is better to have some cash at home as sometimes it is hard to get into town to get money out of the bank. The interest you get at the bank is as good as what you get at home, NOTHING. I do prefer to use cash but it doesn't go far as grocery prices are rising each week. Even trying to get to shops when things are on special, if you don't get there the week they are on special the following week the price is jacked up so you miss out anyway.

A classic example of why you need to have a small cash reserve, comes from the Batemans Bay, and South Coast NSW bushfires in December 2019 and January 2020. When all online electronic transactions went down because of the fires, you were unable to buy fuel food or water; without you had cash. The only people who were able to escape the area, or buy food or water were the ones that had cash money on hand... Speaks volumes I would have thought..

Reactions: shayne brown
Ah yes Gaz, that's a good possibility. But you see I'm referring to being a visitor, holiday maker, and wanting to get out of the area ASAP. As was the case with quite a few people, in the area at the time, if you couldn't produce cash, you were unable to buy fuel, as a result you were stuck between a rock and a hard place, because you were also unable to purchase food or water either. Very stressful situation for some people I'm sure.. Just as a side note seeing our notes are now plastic polymer, they are also water proof, maybe hoard the cash in the water tank instead of the mattress. Just a thought..:ROFLMAO:;)

@Jack B I'd never considered this, but yeah, if electronic transactions went down for even a couple of days, I'd be in serious trouble. I don't think I've paid for anything using cash in literally months. Quite sensible advice to have a few hundred dollars stashed away somewhere in case of emergencies.

Reactions: shayne brown