Is ALDI still the ‘go-to supermarket’ when it comes to savings? Here's what some shoppers have to say…

If you've been to the grocery store lately, then you know the struggle of rising prices.

For years now, budget-conscious shoppers have been swearing by the catchphrase, 'Just shop at ALDI'. Recently, though, there's been some backlash…

One fed-up shopper, who wishes to remain anonymous, has taken to social media to express their frustrations with the phrase. And boy, did it go viral!

The shopper's rant struck a chord with hundreds of Australians who agreed that shopping at ALDI isn't necessarily the 'magic bullet' that solves all of life's problems.

The shopper's message? 'I'm well aware that ALDI is a large international supermarket chain. It's the phrase I'm tired of. It's like our national catchphrase.'

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 10.11.40 AM.png
Shoppers are saying that not everything in ALDI is cheaper than in other supermarkets. Credit: Unsplash/Marques Thomas.

According to the anonymous shopper, simply 'shopping at ALDI' wouldn't necessarily solve all their problems or save them as much money as they would like.

'Stuff is cheaper at ALDI, yes. Some stuff. A lot of stuff but not all of it. And OK cool you save a few bucks on a shop. Awesome. I have ten more dollars this week! I'll definitely get a house with that ten dollars!' they wrote.

The Aussie's online rant then started a heated conversation on social media, and hundreds of fellow shoppers went on to voice their own opinions on the subject.

Several shoppers agreed and chimed in, saying that they didn't like the food at ALDI and weren't willing to give up quality just to save a few dollars.

Others also pointed out that not everyone had an ALDI in their state, while some joked that ALDI was great for certain items, but they still had to go to Woolies or Coles for almost everything else.

On the other hand, some also came to the supermarket's defence. 'ALDI does their stuff better than Woolies or Coles, and saving $10-20 per shop isn't something to overlook,' wrote one supporter in the comments.

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 10.11.34 AM.png
With the supermarket continuing to differentiate itself on price while promoting its products as being 'Good Different’, it seems that ALDI's popularity will only continue to grow. Credit: Facebook/ALDI Australia.

How did ALDI get the reputation of being the most 'budget-friendly' supermarket?

It's no secret that ALDI has become a go-to for many Aussies looking to save on their weekly shop. But how did this German supermarket become known as the most budget-friendly option?

Since arriving in Australia in 2001, ALDI has amassed a cult following of shoppers who swear by the supermarket chain. The secret to their success lies in their business model, which aims to provide customers with the 'highest quality groceries at permanently low prices'.

The brand has contributed an estimated $30 billion to Australia's gross domestic product and has over 570 stores across six states and territories. More than 13,500 Australians are employed by the business, making it a significant employer in the retail sector.

ALDI's loyal fan base has created dozens of Facebook pages for shoppers to share their ALDI experience and purchases, with some groups like ALDI Fans Australia, ALDI Mums, and ALDI Nerd Community Recipe Group gathering thousands of followers. One member even said, 'I love ALDI; I'm very defensive of ALDI. I always try to convert people!'

And the savings actually speak for themselves. As one shopper explained, 'I did a trolley full of groceries that added up to $130. Including nappies and a box of wipes. The savings we've been able to make has completely changed my life.'

With prices rising faster than ever before, it's no wonder Aussies are turning to ALDI for budget-friendly options.

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 10.11.25 AM.png
According to Canstar Blue, ALDI still checks out as the best-rated supermarket for the 5th consecutive year. Credit: Canstar Blue.

What do the experts say?

ALDI's success has been recognised by supermarket experts, with Canstar Blue revealing the supermarket as the best-rated for the fifth consecutive year.

Despite other supermarkets moving away from solely focusing on low prices, ALDI continues to differentiate itself by maintaining permanently low prices while promoting its products as being 'Good Different'.

The survey conducted by Canstar Blue revealed that ALDI has been rated as the favourite supermarket of Australians, with customers giving the discount supermarket five-star reviews in six out of eight categories, namely:
  • value for money,
  • presentation of the store,
  • the freshness of fruit, vegetables, and meat,
  • quality of supermarket-owned branded products,
  • deals and specials available,
  • and overall satisfaction.
Woolworths and Coles were only able to outrank ALDI in the customer service and variety of product categories.

ALDI was also rated the cheapest supermarket in 2021 by the consumer advocacy group CHOICE.

According to them, a basket of national brand products cost an average of $145.23 at Coles and $141.83 at Woolworths (including specials), while a comparable basket of ALDI brand products was just $80.75 (including specials). That's a massive difference!

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 10.11.13 AM.png
With such impressive ratings, it's no surprise that ALDI has gained a cult-like following in Australia. Credit: Unsplash/Marques Thomas.

What do the people here at the SDC say?

We know that when it comes to grocery shopping, everyone has their go-to spot. Our community here at the SDC has been buzzing about the ALDI vs. other supermarkets debate, and in a previous article, we reported that an economist found that while ALDI may have lower prices overall, Woolies has more of those must-have brands that we all know and love.

But don't just take his word for it - we asked YOU, our members, to weigh in on the debate as well. Here's what some of you had to say.

@Sunshine45, an ALDI shopper, raved about the store's fresh produce and how it saves her a whopping $120 a year. But @mansersmith, on the other hand, had some criticisms of the store's pre-packaged produce. Instead, they opt to stock up on meat, poultry, and fish at ALDI, then hit up the local fruit and veg market for the rest of their needs.

@Nana Zorak had some great insights too, sharing that she does her main shopping at ALDI but hits up Woolies for those hard-to-find items.

Meanwhile, @Staffordshire Whippet loves ALDI but has a major gripe with the fact that the nearest one is a whopping 2200 km away.

@Lynjw, on the other hand, has some specific dietary needs that ALDI doesn't quite cater to. While she'll still hit up the store for special buys and fresh produce, she mostly shops at Coles or Woolies.

Even our own team here at the SDC has some thoughts on the matter. @Maddison Dwyer said she recently switched over to shopping at Woolies, finding that their prices are just as good as ALDI's. Meanwhile, our editor @April Bradford has stopped shopping at ALDI altogether.

We've heard from a lot of you about your thoughts on this subject matter, but there's always more to discuss when it comes to budget-friendly grocery shopping.

So what do you think, members? Is ALDI still the most budget-friendly option out there or are you sick of hearing to just ‘shop at ALDI’? Do you have any tips for saving money on groceries, no matter where you shop?

We want to hear from you! Keep the debate going strong in the comments below, and let's see if we can all come together to find the best deals on our favourite groceries. After all, we can all appreciate a good bargain - no matter where we shop.

Sponsored
There is a TV commercial on atm of a woman at the checkout and the checkout man telling her its OK to go to the other store and the woman crying saying aldi is her first store.

Very good marketing but this is saying aldi acknowledges that they dont have everything.

There is no way you would pay $143 for a trolley full at aldi including nappies. That woman might have paid that because the boxes of nappies take up half the trolley. My daughters have unused those nappy and didn't like them.

There are certain products I like eg their fruit n ved and frozen chips and bread

Other items eg canned beetroot, meat , cereals I won't buy.

I love shopping at coles and woolies and stocking up on their weekly half price items , shopping on line and getting known brands that I love

Shop ALDI First

ALDI has started 2023 by trying to reposition itself in the minds of consumers with the ‘Shop ALDI First’ campaign.
The nationwide campaign from the supermarket chain launched with a schmaltzy TVC via BMF this week.
It depicts a dramatic moment of heartbreak between cashier and customer. When the young ALDI cashier spies ‘smoked herring paste’ left uncrossed on the customer’s shopping list, he tells her: “It’s cool”. Rain starts to pour in store as they share the understanding that she will need to buy her expensive indulgences elsewhere.
“We love you,” the cashier says as she departs.
“You’ll always be my first shop,” she responds through tears.

I do like Aldi for their fresh fruit & veg, selection of fresh meat, chocolate, mayo & a few other items. Their canned fruit comes from China so that's a no from me, whereas the supermarkets stock Australian fruit. I couldn't do a 'full shop' at Aldi though, so I shop with Coles & Woolworths as they have awesome specials.

If you've been to the grocery store lately, then you know the struggle of rising prices.

For years now, budget-conscious shoppers have been swearing by the catchphrase, 'Just shop at ALDI'. Recently, though, there's been some backlash…

One fed-up shopper, who wishes to remain anonymous, has taken to social media to express their frustrations with the phrase. And boy, did it go viral!

The shopper's rant struck a chord with hundreds of Australians who agreed that shopping at ALDI isn't necessarily the 'magic bullet' that solves all of life's problems.

The shopper's message? 'I'm well aware that ALDI is a large international supermarket chain. It's the phrase I'm tired of. It's like our national catchphrase.'

View attachment 14719
Shoppers are saying that not everything in ALDI is cheaper than in other supermarkets. Credit: Unsplash/Marques Thomas.

According to the anonymous shopper, simply 'shopping at ALDI' wouldn't necessarily solve all their problems or save them as much money as they would like.

'Stuff is cheaper at ALDI, yes. Some stuff. A lot of stuff but not all of it. And OK cool you save a few bucks on a shop. Awesome. I have ten more dollars this week! I'll definitely get a house with that ten dollars!' they wrote.

The Aussie's online rant then started a heated conversation on social media, and hundreds of fellow shoppers went on to voice their own opinions on the subject.

Several shoppers agreed and chimed in, saying that they didn't like the food at ALDI and weren't willing to give up quality just to save a few dollars.

Others also pointed out that not everyone had an ALDI in their state, while some joked that ALDI was great for certain items, but they still had to go to Woolies or Coles for almost everything else.

On the other hand, some also came to the supermarket's defence. 'ALDI does their stuff better than Woolies or Coles, and saving $10-20 per shop isn't something to overlook,' wrote one supporter in the comments.

View attachment 14720
With the supermarket continuing to differentiate itself on price while promoting its products as being 'Good Different’, it seems that ALDI's popularity will only continue to grow. Credit: Facebook/ALDI Australia.

How did ALDI get the reputation of being the most 'budget-friendly' supermarket?

It's no secret that ALDI has become a go-to for many Aussies looking to save on their weekly shop. But how did this German supermarket become known as the most budget-friendly option?

Since arriving in Australia in 2001, ALDI has amassed a cult following of shoppers who swear by the supermarket chain. The secret to their success lies in their business model, which aims to provide customers with the 'highest quality groceries at permanently low prices'.

The brand has contributed an estimated $30 billion to Australia's gross domestic product and has over 570 stores across six states and territories. More than 13,500 Australians are employed by the business, making it a significant employer in the retail sector.

ALDI's loyal fan base has created dozens of Facebook pages for shoppers to share their ALDI experience and purchases, with some groups like ALDI Fans Australia, ALDI Mums, and ALDI Nerd Community Recipe Group gathering thousands of followers. One member even said, 'I love ALDI; I'm very defensive of ALDI. I always try to convert people!'

And the savings actually speak for themselves. As one shopper explained, 'I did a trolley full of groceries that added up to $130. Including nappies and a box of wipes. The savings we've been able to make has completely changed my life.'

With prices rising faster than ever before, it's no wonder Aussies are turning to ALDI for budget-friendly options.

View attachment 14721
According to Canstar Blue, ALDI still checks out as the best-rated supermarket for the 5th consecutive year. Credit: Canstar Blue.

What do the experts say?

ALDI's success has been recognised by supermarket experts, with Canstar Blue revealing the supermarket as the best-rated for the fifth consecutive year.

Despite other supermarkets moving away from solely focusing on low prices, ALDI continues to differentiate itself by maintaining permanently low prices while promoting its products as being 'Good Different'.

The survey conducted by Canstar Blue revealed that ALDI has been rated as the favourite supermarket of Australians, with customers giving the discount supermarket five-star reviews in six out of eight categories, namely:
  • value for money,
Woolworths and Coles were only able to outrank ALDI in the customer service and variety of product categories.

ALDI was also rated the cheapest supermarket in 2021 by the consumer advocacy group CHOICE.

According to them, a basket of national brand products cost an average of $145.23 at Coles and $141.83 at Woolworths (including specials), while a comparable basket of ALDI brand products was just $80.75 (including specials). That's a massive difference!

View attachment 14722
With such impressive ratings, it's no surprise that ALDI has gained a cult-like following in Australia. Credit: Unsplash/Marques Thomas.

We know that when it comes to grocery shopping, everyone has their go-to spot. Our community here at the SDC has been buzzing about the ALDI vs. other supermarkets debate, and in a previous article, we reported that an economist found that while ALDI may have lower prices overall, Woolies has more of those must-have brands that we all know and love.

But don't just take his word for it - we asked YOU, our members, to weigh in on the debate as well. Here's what some of you had to say.

@Sunshine45, an ALDI shopper, raved about the store's fresh produce and how it saves her a whopping $120 a year. But @mansersmith, on the other hand, had some criticisms of the store's pre-packaged produce. Instead, they opt to stock up on meat, poultry, and fish at ALDI, then hit up the local fruit and veg market for the rest of their needs.

@Nana Zorak had some great insights too, sharing that she does her main shopping at ALDI but hits up Woolies for those hard-to-find items.

Meanwhile, @Staffordshire Whippet loves ALDI but has a major gripe with the fact that the nearest one is a whopping 2200 km away.

@Lynjw, on the other hand, has some specific dietary needs that ALDI doesn't quite cater to. While she'll still hit up the store for special buys and fresh produce, she mostly shops at Coles or Woolies.

Even our own team here at the SDC has some thoughts on the matter. @Maddison Dwyer said she recently switched over to shopping at Woolies, finding that their prices are just as good as ALDI's. Meanwhile, our editor @April Bradford has stopped shopping at ALDI altogether.

We've heard from a lot of you about your thoughts on this subject matter, but there's always more to discuss when it comes to budget-friendly grocery shopping.

So what do you think, members? Is ALDI still the most budget-friendly option out there or are you sick of hearing to just ‘shop at ALDI’? Do you have any tips for saving money on groceries, no matter where you shop?

We want to hear from you! Keep the debate going strong in the comments below, and let's see if we can all come together to find the best deals on our favourite groceries. After all, we can all appreciate a good bargain - no matter where we shop.

I shop at Aldi. So, they don’t have a huge range …. I adjust accordingly. With their chilled fresh pet mince I save $12 alone on that compared to the “other big two”. I’ll continue to shop there 🙂

Reactions: Ian1 and Ricci
I save an average of thirty bucks doing a big shop at Aldi.

Sure, you need to let go of the name brands, but Woolworths is an American owned company, so it's not like its anti-Australian. I shop at both. Woolworths used to bring out the out-of-date grocery cart and all sorts of good food was simply available for those that weren't fussy. Great soups and stews made for years for NIX.

Then an American assessor looked at this terrible workplace practice and now they just give it to the pigs or dump it all in landfill. Then they changed most soup tin sizes to 3/4 and increased the prices.
I.E A tin of ocean rise yellow fin tuna is twice the price at Woolworth's. Same with many things.

I may get two or three things from Woolworth's (the same for Coles) but Aldi is the go too.

You just need to know a few tricks I.E: A bottle of apple cider vinegar and a container of honey from Aldi, poured together in a pot of Boiled water, will make a deliciously invigorating drink that cost about $11.00 for about four gallons and last a couple of weeks.
you just have to be resourceful...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci

View attachment 14719

View attachment 14720

View attachment 14721

What do the experts say?

• value for money,

View attachment 14722

Some people are never happy and just have to have a whinge about something.

Reactions: TheBear and Ricci
I would shop more at Aldi if they did home delivery. Last time I went to the shops I tried Aldi but my back would only let me get halfway up the first aisle and I had to leave and sit on the seats outside for about half an hour before I could move on. :(

The person who says they only save $10 at Aldi must be the worst shopper under the sun.
I do my main shop at Aldi and then pick up specials and things I particularly like, such as Nescafe Hazelnut Coffee sachets at wherever it is half price and buy in bulk.
I estimate I save $120 a fortnight by shopping at Aldi.
I have four dogs and save $7.50 just on the trays of fresh pet meat.
If you're only saving $10 your definitely not buying much at Aldi.
Anyway $10/week is not to be sneezed at, do the maths $520 a year, what's wrong with that.
Is anybody else completely "pi**ed"off with this damn box ad that keeps appearing across the screen while you are trying to type the message, keep clicking to remove it and 2 seconds later it's back again.
Half the time Ijust give up.

Reactions: Ricci and terri
My Aldi local is small. I've been in maybe 6 times in total trying to give them a go. It has a limited range and doesn't cater to any food intolerances etc at all. Therefore I can't get my staples at all. There is little variety in fruit and veg giving little choice and not all were in good state. Meat trays were broken open, and very little selections. I'd get bored so quickly if this is all I had to choose from. I use a grocer and also a butcher, near by, for variety. and quality What I have bought in Aldi in frozen section lacked taste. Coles there are things I would never buy also, likewise Woolies. I have all 3 stores in my centre. They all have savings, discounts. But variety and quality comes first for me. If the store is physically small, it's impossible to get variety. I have in a small radius 4 stores. Maybe if it was a decent size store and could stock more variety I might consider buying from them.

View attachment 14719

View attachment 14720

View attachment 14721

What do the experts say?

• value for money,

View attachment 14722

Sadly, for many who are unable to get out and shop - as good as they are, they don't deliver - so, the people who need it most have no access...!

View attachment 14719

View attachment 14720

View attachment 14721

What do the experts say?

• value for money,

View attachment 14722

Reactions: Ricci and Leanne D

View attachment 14719

View attachment 14720

View attachment 14721

What do the experts say?

• value for money,

View attachment 14722

I am 82, I look for every special I can to feed myself and my pets. Home delivery is important so I do online at coles . When I was more able I shopped a lot at Aldi, so different strokes for different folks. If they delivered they would be my first choice.

I would shop more at Aldi if they did home delivery. Last time I went to the shops I tried Aldi but my back would only let me get halfway up the first aisle and I had to leave and sit on the seats outside for about half an hour before I could move on. :(
You need a wheelie walker, as they have a seat to sit on for that very reason. My mum uses one. ;) However, online shopping is the ideal.

I am 82, I look for every special I can to feed myself and my pets. Home delivery is important so I do online at coles . When I was more able I shopped a lot at Aldi, so different strokes for different folks. If they delivered they would be my first choice.
Me too...!

I would like to know why they hiked the price of a sourdough loaf of bread by 70 cents in 1 week??

• Wow
Reactions: Penny4

View attachment 14719

View attachment 14720

View attachment 14721

What do the experts say?

• value for money,

View attachment 14722

I’m lucky where I live as Aldi and Woolies are walking distance apart so I can get the best prices on the things I know are cheapest at either one and also go to Woolies for the things that Aldi don’t stock. Having said that, I do prefer Woolies for my fresh fruit and veg even though they are a little bit dearer.

View attachment 14719

View attachment 14720

View attachment 14721

What do the experts say?

• value for money,

View attachment 14722

the four letter word i have is down down down. as to the latest aldi ad. it is pathetic. gone are the days we had funny ads. ones who do the ads nowadays must be in a catatonic state.

Aldi state that most of their products are made in Australia. A few weeks ago my husband and I decided to do our weekly shop there as we prefer to buy Australian where we can. The only goods on OUR list that were "made in Australia" were milk, fruit and veggies, even the butter wasn't Australian. They don't sell many of the products we buy on a regular basis, many of which we can buy from other supermarkets on half price special, or at least on a weekly special, so the only shopping we do at Aldi is in the centre aisles. When they do "comparison" pricing they do so using Aldi home brands against branded products. Not a fair comparison. They should compare Aldi home brands with other supermarket home brands.

Next Wednesday Aldi opens in my local shopping centre. Then we will have Coles, Woolworths and Aldi in the same shopping centre. It has taken about 3 years to build hopefully it has been worth the wait.

Reactions: TheBear and Penny4