Is ALDI still the ‘go-to supermarket’ when it comes to savings? Here's what some shoppers have to say…

If you've been to the grocery store lately, then you know the struggle of rising prices.

For years now, budget-conscious shoppers have been swearing by the catchphrase, 'Just shop at ALDI'. Recently, though, there's been some backlash…

One fed-up shopper, who wishes to remain anonymous, has taken to social media to express their frustrations with the phrase. And boy, did it go viral!

The shopper's rant struck a chord with hundreds of Australians who agreed that shopping at ALDI isn't necessarily the 'magic bullet' that solves all of life's problems.

The shopper's message? 'I'm well aware that ALDI is a large international supermarket chain. It's the phrase I'm tired of. It's like our national catchphrase.'

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 10.11.40 AM.png
Shoppers are saying that not everything in ALDI is cheaper than in other supermarkets. Credit: Unsplash/Marques Thomas.

According to the anonymous shopper, simply 'shopping at ALDI' wouldn't necessarily solve all their problems or save them as much money as they would like.

'Stuff is cheaper at ALDI, yes. Some stuff. A lot of stuff but not all of it. And OK cool you save a few bucks on a shop. Awesome. I have ten more dollars this week! I'll definitely get a house with that ten dollars!' they wrote.

The Aussie's online rant then started a heated conversation on social media, and hundreds of fellow shoppers went on to voice their own opinions on the subject.

Several shoppers agreed and chimed in, saying that they didn't like the food at ALDI and weren't willing to give up quality just to save a few dollars.

Others also pointed out that not everyone had an ALDI in their state, while some joked that ALDI was great for certain items, but they still had to go to Woolies or Coles for almost everything else.

On the other hand, some also came to the supermarket's defence. 'ALDI does their stuff better than Woolies or Coles, and saving $10-20 per shop isn't something to overlook,' wrote one supporter in the comments.

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 10.11.34 AM.png
With the supermarket continuing to differentiate itself on price while promoting its products as being 'Good Different’, it seems that ALDI's popularity will only continue to grow. Credit: Facebook/ALDI Australia.

How did ALDI get the reputation of being the most 'budget-friendly' supermarket?

It's no secret that ALDI has become a go-to for many Aussies looking to save on their weekly shop. But how did this German supermarket become known as the most budget-friendly option?

Since arriving in Australia in 2001, ALDI has amassed a cult following of shoppers who swear by the supermarket chain. The secret to their success lies in their business model, which aims to provide customers with the 'highest quality groceries at permanently low prices'.

The brand has contributed an estimated $30 billion to Australia's gross domestic product and has over 570 stores across six states and territories. More than 13,500 Australians are employed by the business, making it a significant employer in the retail sector.

ALDI's loyal fan base has created dozens of Facebook pages for shoppers to share their ALDI experience and purchases, with some groups like ALDI Fans Australia, ALDI Mums, and ALDI Nerd Community Recipe Group gathering thousands of followers. One member even said, 'I love ALDI; I'm very defensive of ALDI. I always try to convert people!'

And the savings actually speak for themselves. As one shopper explained, 'I did a trolley full of groceries that added up to $130. Including nappies and a box of wipes. The savings we've been able to make has completely changed my life.'

With prices rising faster than ever before, it's no wonder Aussies are turning to ALDI for budget-friendly options.

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 10.11.25 AM.png
According to Canstar Blue, ALDI still checks out as the best-rated supermarket for the 5th consecutive year. Credit: Canstar Blue.

What do the experts say?

ALDI's success has been recognised by supermarket experts, with Canstar Blue revealing the supermarket as the best-rated for the fifth consecutive year.

Despite other supermarkets moving away from solely focusing on low prices, ALDI continues to differentiate itself by maintaining permanently low prices while promoting its products as being 'Good Different'.

The survey conducted by Canstar Blue revealed that ALDI has been rated as the favourite supermarket of Australians, with customers giving the discount supermarket five-star reviews in six out of eight categories, namely:
  • value for money,
  • presentation of the store,
  • the freshness of fruit, vegetables, and meat,
  • quality of supermarket-owned branded products,
  • deals and specials available,
  • and overall satisfaction.
Woolworths and Coles were only able to outrank ALDI in the customer service and variety of product categories.

ALDI was also rated the cheapest supermarket in 2021 by the consumer advocacy group CHOICE.

According to them, a basket of national brand products cost an average of $145.23 at Coles and $141.83 at Woolworths (including specials), while a comparable basket of ALDI brand products was just $80.75 (including specials). That's a massive difference!

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 10.11.13 AM.png
With such impressive ratings, it's no surprise that ALDI has gained a cult-like following in Australia. Credit: Unsplash/Marques Thomas.

What do the people here at the SDC say?

We know that when it comes to grocery shopping, everyone has their go-to spot. Our community here at the SDC has been buzzing about the ALDI vs. other supermarkets debate, and in a previous article, we reported that an economist found that while ALDI may have lower prices overall, Woolies has more of those must-have brands that we all know and love.

But don't just take his word for it - we asked YOU, our members, to weigh in on the debate as well. Here's what some of you had to say.

@Sunshine45, an ALDI shopper, raved about the store's fresh produce and how it saves her a whopping $120 a year. But @mansersmith, on the other hand, had some criticisms of the store's pre-packaged produce. Instead, they opt to stock up on meat, poultry, and fish at ALDI, then hit up the local fruit and veg market for the rest of their needs.

@Nana Zorak had some great insights too, sharing that she does her main shopping at ALDI but hits up Woolies for those hard-to-find items.

Meanwhile, @Staffordshire Whippet loves ALDI but has a major gripe with the fact that the nearest one is a whopping 2200 km away.

@Lynjw, on the other hand, has some specific dietary needs that ALDI doesn't quite cater to. While she'll still hit up the store for special buys and fresh produce, she mostly shops at Coles or Woolies.

Even our own team here at the SDC has some thoughts on the matter. @Maddison Dwyer said she recently switched over to shopping at Woolies, finding that their prices are just as good as ALDI's. Meanwhile, our editor @April Bradford has stopped shopping at ALDI altogether.

We've heard from a lot of you about your thoughts on this subject matter, but there's always more to discuss when it comes to budget-friendly grocery shopping.

So what do you think, members? Is ALDI still the most budget-friendly option out there or are you sick of hearing to just ‘shop at ALDI’? Do you have any tips for saving money on groceries, no matter where you shop?

We want to hear from you! Keep the debate going strong in the comments below, and let's see if we can all come together to find the best deals on our favourite groceries. After all, we can all appreciate a good bargain - no matter where we shop.

Sponsored
You need a wheelie walker, as they have a seat to sit on for that very reason. My mum uses one. ;) However, online shopping is the ideal.
I have a wheelie walker but my back is so bad it only adds about 50mtrs to my range, still not enough to do all the aisles. :( I also have a small mobility scooter that fits in the boot of the car but if I use that I can't push a trolley, snookered again!;)

• Sad
Reactions: TheBear and Penny4
If you've been to the grocery store lately, then you know the struggle of rising prices.

For years now, budget-conscious shoppers have been swearing by the catchphrase, 'Just shop at ALDI'. Recently, though, there's been some backlash…

One fed-up shopper, who wishes to remain anonymous, has taken to social media to express their frustrations with the phrase. And boy, did it go viral!

The shopper's rant struck a chord with hundreds of Australians who agreed that shopping at ALDI isn't necessarily the 'magic bullet' that solves all of life's problems.

The shopper's message? 'I'm well aware that ALDI is a large international supermarket chain. It's the phrase I'm tired of. It's like our national catchphrase.'

View attachment 14719
Shoppers are saying that not everything in ALDI is cheaper than in other supermarkets. Credit: Unsplash/Marques Thomas.

According to the anonymous shopper, simply 'shopping at ALDI' wouldn't necessarily solve all their problems or save them as much money as they would like.

'Stuff is cheaper at ALDI, yes. Some stuff. A lot of stuff but not all of it. And OK cool you save a few bucks on a shop. Awesome. I have ten more dollars this week! I'll definitely get a house with that ten dollars!' they wrote.

The Aussie's online rant then started a heated conversation on social media, and hundreds of fellow shoppers went on to voice their own opinions on the subject.

Several shoppers agreed and chimed in, saying that they didn't like the food at ALDI and weren't willing to give up quality just to save a few dollars.

Others also pointed out that not everyone had an ALDI in their state, while some joked that ALDI was great for certain items, but they still had to go to Woolies or Coles for almost everything else.

On the other hand, some also came to the supermarket's defence. 'ALDI does their stuff better than Woolies or Coles, and saving $10-20 per shop isn't something to overlook,' wrote one supporter in the comments.

View attachment 14720
With the supermarket continuing to differentiate itself on price while promoting its products as being 'Good Different’, it seems that ALDI's popularity will only continue to grow. Credit: Facebook/ALDI Australia.

How did ALDI get the reputation of being the most 'budget-friendly' supermarket?

It's no secret that ALDI has become a go-to for many Aussies looking to save on their weekly shop. But how did this German supermarket become known as the most budget-friendly option?

Since arriving in Australia in 2001, ALDI has amassed a cult following of shoppers who swear by the supermarket chain. The secret to their success lies in their business model, which aims to provide customers with the 'highest quality groceries at permanently low prices'.

The brand has contributed an estimated $30 billion to Australia's gross domestic product and has over 570 stores across six states and territories. More than 13,500 Australians are employed by the business, making it a significant employer in the retail sector.

ALDI's loyal fan base has created dozens of Facebook pages for shoppers to share their ALDI experience and purchases, with some groups like ALDI Fans Australia, ALDI Mums, and ALDI Nerd Community Recipe Group gathering thousands of followers. One member even said, 'I love ALDI; I'm very defensive of ALDI. I always try to convert people!'

And the savings actually speak for themselves. As one shopper explained, 'I did a trolley full of groceries that added up to $130. Including nappies and a box of wipes. The savings we've been able to make has completely changed my life.'

With prices rising faster than ever before, it's no wonder Aussies are turning to ALDI for budget-friendly options.

View attachment 14721
According to Canstar Blue, ALDI still checks out as the best-rated supermarket for the 5th consecutive year. Credit: Canstar Blue.

What do the experts say?

ALDI's success has been recognised by supermarket experts, with Canstar Blue revealing the supermarket as the best-rated for the fifth consecutive year.

Despite other supermarkets moving away from solely focusing on low prices, ALDI continues to differentiate itself by maintaining permanently low prices while promoting its products as being 'Good Different'.

The survey conducted by Canstar Blue revealed that ALDI has been rated as the favourite supermarket of Australians, with customers giving the discount supermarket five-star reviews in six out of eight categories, namely:
  • value for money,
Woolworths and Coles were only able to outrank ALDI in the customer service and variety of product categories.

ALDI was also rated the cheapest supermarket in 2021 by the consumer advocacy group CHOICE.

According to them, a basket of national brand products cost an average of $145.23 at Coles and $141.83 at Woolworths (including specials), while a comparable basket of ALDI brand products was just $80.75 (including specials). That's a massive difference!

View attachment 14722
With such impressive ratings, it's no surprise that ALDI has gained a cult-like following in Australia. Credit: Unsplash/Marques Thomas.

We know that when it comes to grocery shopping, everyone has their go-to spot. Our community here at the SDC has been buzzing about the ALDI vs. other supermarkets debate, and in a previous article, we reported that an economist found that while ALDI may have lower prices overall, Woolies has more of those must-have brands that we all know and love.

But don't just take his word for it - we asked YOU, our members, to weigh in on the debate as well. Here's what some of you had to say.

@Sunshine45, an ALDI shopper, raved about the store's fresh produce and how it saves her a whopping $120 a year. But @mansersmith, on the other hand, had some criticisms of the store's pre-packaged produce. Instead, they opt to stock up on meat, poultry, and fish at ALDI, then hit up the local fruit and veg market for the rest of their needs.

@Nana Zorak had some great insights too, sharing that she does her main shopping at ALDI but hits up Woolies for those hard-to-find items.

Meanwhile, @Staffordshire Whippet loves ALDI but has a major gripe with the fact that the nearest one is a whopping 2200 km away.

@Lynjw, on the other hand, has some specific dietary needs that ALDI doesn't quite cater to. While she'll still hit up the store for special buys and fresh produce, she mostly shops at Coles or Woolies.

Even our own team here at the SDC has some thoughts on the matter. @Maddison Dwyer said she recently switched over to shopping at Woolies, finding that their prices are just as good as ALDI's. Meanwhile, our editor @April Bradford has stopped shopping at ALDI altogether.

We've heard from a lot of you about your thoughts on this subject matter, but there's always more to discuss when it comes to budget-friendly grocery shopping.

So what do you think, members? Is ALDI still the most budget-friendly option out there or are you sick of hearing to just ‘shop at ALDI’? Do you have any tips for saving money on groceries, no matter where you shop?

We want to hear from you! Keep the debate going strong in the comments below, and let's see if we can all come together to find the best deals on our favourite groceries. After all, we can all appreciate a good bargain - no matter where we shop.

I'm not a fan of Aldi mainly because (1) they don't have online shopping (which is a great way to save money as you only buy what you need and don't get carried away by wandering the aisles), (2) they don't take my brand of credit card (which gives me a huge number of points which converts into $$$$), and (3) they don't have a rewards program Like Flybuys or Everyday Rewards (which also converts into $$$$) - and on top of that, I don't have to use up my expensive petrol in my not so expensive car to get there in order to do my shopping - winning!
When all this is taken into account, I can shop at Woolies or Coles for almost half the price - sorry Aldi.
However I have to say Aldi does have some interesting products and special buys now and again, but then so does K Mart, Big W, Catch.com and Amazon.com.

Reactions: Ricci
Fine but why do they have to put every one of their opinions on social media if I was even on social media I wouldn't be reading someone elses opinion on anything I can make my own mind up don't need anybodies help

I have a wheelie walker but my back is so bad it only adds about 50mtrs to my range, still not enough to do all the aisles. :( I also have a small mobility scooter that fits in the boot of the car but if I use that I can't push a trolley, snookered again!;)
can you please tell me the name of scooter. I have one that folds up but no way could I lift it into my boot

I would love to shop at Aldi more but am forced to go with the other 2 because I am disabled and unable to walk around stores and therefore have to rely on groceries delivered. This causes disadvantaged people more expense including delivery fees, higher grocery prices, no access to bargain markdowns and poor quality fruit & veg & meat. I love Aldi meat. I agree some branded items are not substitutable because of taste, but many things are. COME ON ALDI, GET WITH THE PROGRAM & OFFER DELIVERY PLZ

Just look at Coles and Woolworths profits. Value the Australian way.
and half price goods. they can offer you half price on these goods because of their over inflated prices. And as for their loyalty programs what a load of rubbish. if they didn’t have those they could drop prices by 20-30% . 600-900 million dollar profits for 6 months are outrageous. So i’ll happily shop at Aldi and my local Spudshed and avoid the other two rip-off supermarkets at all costs.

Reactions: TheBear and Ricci
There are a number of reasons I don't shop at Aldi. One is that, in the past, when I have tried their food products, I found the quality lacking (i.e. they tasted cheap and nasty) and they are inconsistent in their stocks (if I do find a product I like, it soon becomes unavailable). Our local Aldi is small so it does not stock a lot and I still have to go to Coles and Woolies to get most of the items on my shopping list. Since this means wasting petrol travelling several kilometres from one shopping centre to another, I might as well just shop at the Coles/Woolies shopping centre to start with. But the main reason is one of principle - during Covid, our local Aldi allowed individual shoppers to strip the shelves of specific products and fill their carts - for example, I went to Aldi to get some sugar and I saw one woman exiting the store with a trolley full of boxes and each box contained 6-12 packs of sugar. In all, she must have had about 100 kg of sugar in her trolley. Nobody needs that amount of sugar for domestic use! Needless to say, there was none left for anyone else. When I politely complained about this to the manager, he just shrugged it off and could not have cared less. At least Coles and Woolies rationed their stocks to give everybody a fair go.

Reactions: Penny4 and Ricci

View attachment 14719

View attachment 14720

View attachment 14721

What do the experts say?

• value for money,

View attachment 14722

• Aussie shoppers are infuriated by a four-word phrase that they claim has become a ‘national catchphrase’ as grocery prices continue to rise. Can you guess what it is? This is not in any way meant as a complaint but rather just a comment on the article title? I thought the catchphrase would have been
  • ( Not Easy Under Albanese )

• Haha
Has anyone else noticed it is raining inside the store in that new Aldi ad, their ads are getting more unrealistic everytime a new one comes out. I don’t shop at our local Aldi much as it is away from our main shopping centre so out of the way to get to it, usually has a lot of people lined up waiting before a second checkout opens, I don’t get time to pack my groceries, can only dump them in my trolley and pack at car so double handling everything, then I have to walk the trolley back to shop to retreive my coin I need to get it in the first place. Altogether too much hassle for the money it saves me.

At our local shopping center we have all three under one roof - Woolies and ALDI are next to one another and Coles is about three-quarters the way down the other end. I is not a large shopping centre compared to some of the huge Westfield shopping centers. So, it is not unusual for us to shop at all three though I mainly get my fruit and vegetables from a small veggie shop as I find their produce is a lot fresher and concentrate on getting WA produce even stating where in the state it has come from and for me, they have a walk-in fridge that contains just cheese.

I do like Aldi for their fresh fruit & veg, selection of fresh meat, chocolate, mayo & a few other items. Their canned fruit comes from China so that's a no from me, whereas the supermarkets stock Australian fruit. I couldn't do a 'full shop' at Aldi though, so I shop with Coles & Woolworths as they have awesome specials.
In woolworths a few months back, buying NORCO fresh milk (which ALDI don't stock) when I spoke to a woman about shopping at ALDI first. She replied that "...ALL of their Brand food comes from overseas! I ONLY SHOP Australian grown and made"... as I observed her trolly full of Woolworths Home branded goods!!! ROLLING on the floor laughing! She OBVIOUSLY never read ANY of the labels of those "home" brand goods! I mean - did she even know that some Woolworths breakfast cereals come from ITALY?! and their frozen Blueberries come from Chilli, exactly the same as ALDI's?! - but ALDI's is about $1/bag cheaper! LOL

• Haha
In woolworths a few months back, buying NORCO fresh milk (which ALDI don't stock) when I spoke to a woman about shopping at ALDI first. She replied that "...ALL of their Brand food comes from overseas! I ONLY SHOP Australian grown and made"... as I observed her trolly full of Woolworths Home branded goods!!! ROLLING on the floor laughing! She OBVIOUSLY never read ANY of the labels of those "home" brand goods! I mean - did she even know that some Woolworths breakfast cereals come from ITALY?! and their frozen Blueberries come from Chilli, exactly the same as ALDI's?! - but ALDI's is about $1/bag cheaper! LOL
I know! People often don't read labels for which country it comes from. I buy Norco fresh too - lactose free. It's Aussie owned & my cousin's son has been their accountant since he left university. By the way, Coles fresh milk is Norco, plus Aldi's fresh milk is too. Aldi's fresh milk doesn't come in light lactose free, so I buy it at Coles. Coles & Woolworths stock Aussie frozen blueberries, but more expensive than homebrand from Chilli. Of course, some people don't care where the products come from.

I do like Aldi for their fresh fruit & veg, selection of fresh meat, chocolate, mayo & a few other items. Their canned fruit comes from China so that's a no from me, whereas the supermarkets stock Australian fruit. I couldn't do a 'full shop' at Aldi though, so I shop with Coles & Woolworths as they have awesome specials.
Not all other supermarkets stock Australian canned fruit & veg. If you go looking for Australian pineapple, for example, you will have to overlook the ones that come from Indonesia for a start & you will be very lucky to find any Aussie goods in Woolies. As for frozen goods, Any that come from NZ are probably from China as they found a back door into Australia by buying up NZ canneries. I never buy frozen goods unless it is from a reputable Aussie firm. I never buy canned vegs or frozen from Aldi for the same reason but we have changed even our tea & coffee to Aldi brands as it is far superior to well-known brands, Long live ALDI! Their meat is of a great selection of marinated & unmarinated so there is plenty to make up a fortnight of meals Their aged steak is to die for Maybe a little pricey but as it is the only beef I will eat, really worth it. When I think I spent 2 years paying over $200.00 a month direct from a farm for maybe 4-6 meals & paying $9 a dozen in that for eggs. When I can get 14-16 days for less than that from Aldi it is no wonder I shop there & as a pensioner, I need the best deal I can get, their Pork is just as good as the free-range pork from the farm.

I know! People often don't read labels for which country it comes from. I buy Norco fresh too - lactose free. It's Aussie owned & my cousin's son has been their accountant since he left university. By the way, Coles fresh milk is Norco, plus Aldi's fresh milk is too. Aldi's fresh milk doesn't come in light lactose free, so I buy it at Coles. Coles & Woolworths stock Aussie frozen blueberries, but more expensive than homebrand from Chilli. Of course, some people don't care where the products come from.
I buy Norc milk also but only the unhomongised one that in Woolies retails for $4. 10 while at the local Chinese shop, it is $ 3.43. Price gouging Woolies much?

• Sad
no Aldi here in Tas but so wish there was,,,one woollies bag and another bag about the same size was $130 -82 yesterday at Woolworths for 34 items,,thank goodness I had my Everyday Extra Discount