SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jonathan Leane

Jonathan Leane

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2021
Is 5 too old for a dummy? The Internet spits the… well, you know what, while having the debate

This was the question posed by one grandparent on a discussion forum, who is trying to convince their daughter to get rid of her 5-year-old's dummy.

The original poster (OP) says that their children never had dummies, so they have no experience of it themselves. But they feel that 5 is too old for a dummy and are concerned about the impact it may have on their granddaughter's teeth.

shutterstock_1022130862.jpg
The internet is divided on what age it's appropriate for children to stop using dummies

"Surely 5 is too old to still have a dummy?" they ask.

The comments on the thread are divided, with some people agreeing that 5 is too old for a dummy and that it's time to get rid of it.

"I think that a five year old does look a little too old to be walking around with a dummy," says one commenter. "If it's just for bedtime that may be different, but is the little girl controlling what Mummy wants her to do?"

Another commenter says that they see toddlers out sucking on dummies and it "looks horrible", adding that dummies should only be used at bedtime and only if absolutely necessary.

"To have a 5 year old using one is quite ridiculous," they say.

One user recounted an anecdote: “My eldest daughter was attached until she was about three years old. A trip to the pediatrician solved the issue for once and for all. He knelt down to her eye level and told her point blank that she was now too old for such nonsense. He then asked her if she really wanted her teeth to grow out of her mouth like a Walrus. When she shook her head 'no', he asked her to put it in the rubbish where "it belonged". She complied without saying a peep. End of story.”

However, there were also plenty of people in the thread who think that the OP is overreacting and that 5 is not too old for a dummy.

"Firstly - it is not up to us as grandparents to comment on our adult children's child-rearing decisions - unless of course the child is being abused," says one commenter.

They add that dummies have changed since the OP was a parent, and that blanket statements that it is "wrong" to use a dummy are inappropriate.

"I think it is a non-issue and to be ignored," they say.

Another commenter says that their own daughter had a dummy until she was 5 or 6, but that it was only ever used at night.

"Maybe even 6. Only ever at night though," they say. "She'd have her bath, story time, then she'd open her little box and get her dummy. We'd have the 'conversation' about it being time to get rid but I wasn't overly concerned. She'd get rid of it eventually. Which of course she did."

One user remarked sarcastically: “I find this thread intriguing. Shock, horror - child enjoys dummy at age of 5!”

She then continued, “There is no logical reason to stop a child gaining comfort from a dummy - no reason at all. But most posters are simply pronouncing that it is "too old" without, as far as I can see, any good reason at all!”

Medical practitioners are divided on the issue. This article from the Melbourne’s Children Hospital states that it is ‘generally recommended that parents try to wean their baby’s dummy between six and 12 months.’ Use of a dummy beyond this point can lead to sleep, language, and dental problems, the article claims.

What do you think? Is 5 too old for a dummy? Share your thoughts in the comments.

• Angry
Reactions: Zoya, Ricci and BJM
A dummy is sometimes used as a comfort tool. Not one I used for my children but certainly have for my Grandchildren. My daughters used them at times. Once Mother stops breast feeding or bottle feeding i believe it is time for the dummy to go. Children have beautiful faces, unfortunately the dummy hides their beauty and makes the child look insecure.

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci
My son used dummies until he was three. It got so bad that he would only go to bed with one in his mouth and one in each hand. If for whatever reason we couldn't find his dummies there was hell to pay. In the end we had a talk and on rubbish day he was happy to put them in the bin, we then took the bin bag to the dustbin, we watched the dustman put them in the truck and we waved to them as they disappeared down the road. He got a bit fractious that night until we reminded him that his dummies were off on an adventure and may well come home someday in the future. He went to bed happy and the long running dummy saga was over. My daughter on the other hand wouldn't have a bar of them and instead sucked her thumb. A much more difficult habit to break.:)

Last edited:
Such a dilemma, each child is so different.
My baby girl wouldn't have a bar of a dummy or bottle, but sucked either thumb or both together sometimes.
I would have preferred her to have a dummy over her thumbs, as a dummy can be lost or discarded, not so with digits.
I was taking her for a dental checkup when she was 2, so at around 18 months of age, I started telling her about the proposed visit to the dentist.
I could see her teeth being pulled forward from the pressure of sucking on her thumb, so I told her if the dentist thinks her thumb sucking was affecting the shape of her teeth, he might ask her to stop.
Before the visit, I talked to the dentist about what I'd told my daughter.
At the visit, he showed her on a model what was happening due to her sucking her thumb.
He was able to show her that her teeth could become very crooked and not meet in the middle.
He suggested to her that she stop sucking her thumb.
She nodded, and said she didn't want crooked teeth.
In her car seat after the visit, she sat on both her hands, she said this was so she couldn't suck her thumbs.
When we reached Grandma's place for a visit, she told my Mum that she doesn't suck her thumb anymore, because the dentist said she was making her teeth crooked.
Grandma gave her an ice-cream in a cone as a reward.
That little girl never sucked her thumbs again.
Teeth were saved.
Number 2, son, didn't require a dummy or thumb.

My son was a bugga for his dummy and losing them and I had them scattered all over the house and I got sick of replacing them and tried my hardest to get him to stop with them until one day I got about 6 of them and got a needle and put a hole (which he couldn't see) right at the tip and lo and behold he couldn't suck it! He threw it in the bin and grabbed another one, same thing, and he kept on going until he went thru till the last one and went "dumb dummys" and threw that last one in the fire and never asked for another one! He was about 14 months old. Next son wouldn't have one in his mouth and I brought heaps ready LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Ricci
Both of my children had dummies.
My daughter was bottle fed (didn’t take to the breast) and had a dummy until she
was 2 1/2. She was a horror of a baby and always complained about something.
It took forever to convince her to give it up, but she did for the new baby. She was only allowed it in bed. Sadly.
She then found her thumb. It took 5 hard years for her to stop sucking it. She would wake up in the morning and ask if she had sucked it or not. She was devastated when I told her she did. Yuck nail polish didn’t work. She would just chew it off. Finally the habit stopped, and she started sucking her bottom lip instead🤦‍♀️
My son was breastfed and went from the breast to a cup (no bottle in between).
He slept constantly and never made a fuss.
As they say. To each their own.

My daughter got rid of her son's dummy at 4 months and he is now self settling with his thumb. I think a thumb is harder to get rid of than a dummy. My step daughter got her 1 year old daughter to leave it for the dummy fairy. Easily done without it being missed.

Children are all different. Had dummies for mine but not all wanted them. But I believe a child needs some kind of comfort thing, A rug, toy or dummy. It makes it much easier to mind a littlie when they have that comfort. They will eventually make their own mind up about using them. I wouldnt let mine take out of the house though. And when they are ready, they will do it willingly.

This was the question posed by one grandparent on a discussion forum, who is trying to convince their daughter to get rid of her 5-year-old's dummy.

The original poster (OP) says that their children never had dummies, so they have no experience of it themselves. But they feel that 5 is too old for a dummy and are concerned about the impact it may have on their granddaughter's teeth.

View attachment 4408
The internet is divided on what age it's appropriate for children to stop using dummies

"Surely 5 is too old to still have a dummy?" they ask.

The comments on the thread are divided, with some people agreeing that 5 is too old for a dummy and that it's time to get rid of it.

"I think that a five year old does look a little too old to be walking around with a dummy," says one commenter. "If it's just for bedtime that may be different, but is the little girl controlling what Mummy wants her to do?"

Another commenter says that they see toddlers out sucking on dummies and it "looks horrible", adding that dummies should only be used at bedtime and only if absolutely necessary.

"To have a 5 year old using one is quite ridiculous," they say.

One user recounted an anecdote: “My eldest daughter was attached until she was about three years old. A trip to the pediatrician solved the issue for once and for all. He knelt down to her eye level and told her point blank that she was now too old for such nonsense. He then asked her if she really wanted her teeth to grow out of her mouth like a Walrus. When she shook her head 'no', he asked her to put it in the rubbish where "it belonged". She complied without saying a peep. End of story.”

However, there were also plenty of people in the thread who think that the OP is overreacting and that 5 is not too old for a dummy.

"Firstly - it is not up to us as grandparents to comment on our adult children's child-rearing decisions - unless of course the child is being abused," says one commenter.

They add that dummies have changed since the OP was a parent, and that blanket statements that it is "wrong" to use a dummy are inappropriate.

"I think it is a non-issue and to be ignored," they say.

Another commenter says that their own daughter had a dummy until she was 5 or 6, but that it was only ever used at night.

"Maybe even 6. Only ever at night though," they say. "She'd have her bath, story time, then she'd open her little box and get her dummy. We'd have the 'conversation' about it being time to get rid but I wasn't overly concerned. She'd get rid of it eventually. Which of course she did."

One user remarked sarcastically: “I find this thread intriguing. Shock, horror - child enjoys dummy at age of 5!”

She then continued, “There is no logical reason to stop a child gaining comfort from a dummy - no reason at all. But most posters are simply pronouncing that it is "too old" without, as far as I can see, any good reason at all!”

Medical practitioners are divided on the issue. This article from the Melbourne’s Children Hospital states that it is ‘generally recommended that parents try to wean their baby’s dummy between six and 12 months.’ Use of a dummy beyond this point can lead to sleep, language, and dental problems, the article claims.

What do you think? Is 5 too old for a dummy? Share your thoughts in the comments.
I hate dummies, my children never had them and I hate seeing children with dummies hanging our of their mouths for no apparent reason reason. You can pacify your children without them

Reactions: debjane and Ricci