'I am never serving them again!': Shocking act leads waitress to make a drastic vow

The world of hospitality is often a melting pot of cultures and customs, especially in a vibrant city like Vancouver, Canada.

The results can be pretty surprising when different cultures clash over differing social norms.

This was the case for a waitress, Zarya, who made a bold declaration after an encounter with an Australian family that sparked a heated debate about expectations while travelling.

On a seemingly ordinary Monday night, Zarya served a family from Down Under at her restaurant.

'Today I served this f****** Australian family, their bill was $200, no tip. I'm never serving Australians again,' she said in an angry rant posted online.

'I get it; you're not from this country. Still, get with it.'

Her rant quickly went viral and ignited a discussion about the tipping culture in different countries and whether tourists should adapt to local customs.

zarya tipping.jpg
A waitress named Zarya took to social media to express her frustration about tourists and their lack of tips after dining. Image Credit: TikTok/Alexis Zarya

In Australia, tipping is less ingrained in the culture than in North America.

Wages for service staff are generally higher, and customers do not feel the same pressure to leave a gratuity.

However, in Canada, tipping is not just a courtesy; it's an essential part of a server's income.

Canadian hospitality workers often rely on tips to supplement their wages, which can be significantly lower than the standard minimum wage.

Zarya's plight highlighted the financial realities of many in the service industry.

She later thanked a friend who gave her $30, which raised her earnings for the shift.

'Shout out to my friend for giving me money for that table that didn't tip,' she said, showcasing the reliance on tips to make ends meet.

The responses to Zarya's experience were mixed.

Some Australians defended their compatriots, citing the non-tipping culture back home.

'In Australia, we pay for our food, not your wages,' a commenter wrote. 'Talk to your boss.'

Others argued that visitors must respect and adhere to the host country's customs, including tipping.

'As an Australian, I'm sorry. I always tip when in the USA,' another wrote.

The tipping debate is further complicated by the increasing use of technology in hospitality venues.

QR codes and apps that prompt diners to tip with a default percentage of the bill are making it hard for customers to bypass tipping.

This shift towards digital dining experiences reshaped expectations and made tipping more conspicuous by its presence—or absence.

This incident also highlighted the broader issue of tipping in various service industries.

From electricians to delivery drivers, the expectation of a tip for services rendered is becoming more common, leaving many to wonder where the line should be drawn.
Key Takeaways

• A Canadian waitress expressed her frustration after serving an Australian family who did not leave a tip, sparking a debate on tipping culture for travellers.
  • The waitress's friend compensated her with a $30 tip after the family's bill of $200 did not include gratuity.
  • Australians defended the family, noting that tipping is not customary in Australia and citing the high exchange rate as a factor in the perceived expense of the meal.
  • The incident highlighted the expectation of tipping in hospitality industries in other countries, which can impact service workers' incomes.
Have you encountered similar situations while travelling? Do you believe tourists should conform to another country's tipping customs? Share your stories and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
Before we head to a foreign country, we always check what the customs are, such as tipping.
Not tipping in North America is an insult to the wait staff, they get paid a pittance for the work they do and tips are what they actually live on.
It is plain ignorance and disregard for the workers in the country you are visiting.

I tip everywhere if the service is good. I just don't like to be told that I have to tip and how much I should be tipping. The USA should pay their service staff a proper wage. But then they are the country where you think your paying one price and then add on taxes at the counter, Why?

If I am happy with the service provided i generally leave a tip, knowing that service staff are not paid that well, irrespective wheather it is here or travel overseas

The problem is not with tourists. The problem is with the government of that country. In the case of Canada, there is no federally mandated minimum wage requirement. It is left up to the provinces so they are all different. Average is $15. Canada and the USA need to require restaurants and similar establishments to pay a living wage. If restaurants in other countries can do it, so can they. It shouldn't be left up to the customer to pay the server's wages. The sticking point is that restaurant food is more expensive in other countries whereas it is cheap in Canada and the USA, so naturally the consumers there do not want to pay higher prices. Almost everyone we know in Canada and USA (we have lots of friends and relatives there and used to live there ourselves) do not cook but eat out every day. They'd go berserk if they actually had to economise and cook their own meals.

Let not get too complicated. Let's stop blaming governments for this or that.
Australians are known world wide as non tippers. This culture needs to change. You don't want to tip here ok, but if tipping is required in the country you visit, do the right thing and tip!
By the way, I always tip - Australia included.

Comes out on a working holdiday doing locals out of work and has the audacity to winge about not geting a tip Deserves to be booted out of oz on the spot

I worked in the hospitality industry for many years and have also travelled around the world. I have refused to tip in the US as the service was really bad, I think a tip is earned if the server is warranted one but should never rely on them, as they are a bonus not a given that you will receive one

If I travel to another country I would look at customs.

If I visited a country like America then I would tip, but in saying this SHE was a bit rude making out Australians are rude.

If I like the service I've received I always give a tip even if it's the guy who fixed my washing machine.

Last night I used an Airtasker delivery guy to take a bed and desk to my daughter. He charged $80 which was better than anyone else.
He even offered to help put the desk together.
When I got tge request to release funds I added an extra $20.

I think it wrong how America under pay their staff. I would hate to rely on tips .

Since the meal cost $200 I would assume the food wasn’t that cheap. I don’t think people on holiday overseas go with extra money included for tipping service people. They are usually on a pretty tight budget as it is.

I do not travel, so, do not have to contend with the customs of other countries. If I did travel, I would probably make it my business to familiarise myself with the accepted customs of the place I am visiting. That way I could make sure the waiter/waitress doesn't spit on the meals before bringing them out. Don't know if that really happens by the way.
Here in Oz I like to leave a tip when receiving good service. It is my way of acknowledging I appreciate the way I have been treated. I cannot afford to offer too much, but the thought is there.
Where there is no tip jar, I have on occasion, done the pay it forward thing by adding in the price of a cuppa with my bill for needy people. That feels good.
On the rare occasion we have had takeaway delivered it is usually because the weather is too unfriendly for us to venture out. I like to give delivery people a small bad weather tip.
Regardless of how we feel about the custom, ultimately it is a matter of personal choice.

Simple; tipping should not be compulsory. The employer should pay adequate wages so that their employees do not require tips to avoid misery. and not harassed customers for a tip. A tip comes on top of a decent wage to say thank you for excellence of service; it is not an excuse for employers not to pay staff properly. OK; the price of a meal in a restaurant may have to rise. It is time waiters etc joined / formed a Trade Union to bargain with employers for a decent wage

While I’m well aware of tipping practices overseas, I will not tip if I don’t like the food or the service I get, to me no one has the right to order me or expect me to pay extra for services it should be incorporated in the price of the service you get not as an added extra.