How this simple phone call cost an unfortunate woman $21,000 within seconds

Marie Marshall is a woman who prides herself on her selfless, hardworking nature. For 66 years, she’s put the needs of others ahead of her own and has saved diligently for her retirement. Sadly, her dream of a peaceful retirement is now slipping away from her after she fell victim to a cruel phone scam.

The scam began when Marie received a call from a man claiming to be from the Commonwealth Bank’s (CBA) fraud department.

'He had an Indian accent, but spoke clearly in English and appeared highly educated and very patient,' she said. 'He was able to quote my account numbers and balances.'

Screenshot 2023-08-21 105128.png
Marie Marshall lost $21,000 of her savings due to a phone call scam. Credit: Jae Park/Unsplash

The scammer told Marie that her account had been compromised by suspicious transactions.

‘In order to secure my accounts and funds, he said I’d need to open a new CBA account and transfer all my money there,’ Marie recalled.

To make the situation appear more legitimate, the scammer told Marie she would need to confirm her ID using an app. Ironically, he warned that this was more secure than providing details over the phone, which is 'what scammers do'.

It was after Marie downloaded this app (actually a type of virus known as a ‘trojan horse’) that the scammer had access to her phone, using it to completely drain her savings–a total of $21,000.

While some were able to be recovered after it was put into a Westpac account, the majority of her savings are still missing. Marie was left with a mere $4 in her purse.

shutterstock_1933554437.jpg
The scammer posed as an employee of Commonwealth Bank. Credit: myphotobank.com.au/Shutterstock

‘I had no idea I’d been scammed until two days later,’ she explained.

The realisation came when she read a post on social media that appeared to be about her exact situation. Unable to log in to her bank account, Marie drove to a nearby ATM and discovered her pin did not work.

‘I was heartbroken and highly distraught,’ Marie recounted.

Marie and her daughter went to her nearest Commonwealth branch to file a complaint and start an investigation. However, after the investigation, the bank informed Marie that her funds were not recoverable.

While CBA has offered Marie $4,490.15 as compensation, they have allegedly stated that she has to pay the money the scammer spent, which totals $2,535.

‘I don’t feel that CBA’s response has been acceptable,’ she mentioned.

Marie narrates how this scam has changed her life: ‘I plan to retire on the pension and a small amount of superannuation. I don’t own a home. The savings the scammer stole would have been used to buy a car, as well as paying off some bills.’

Since then, Marie has received many phone calls from unknown numbers, and her social media page has been hacked, which led to the loss of her photos and contacts.

Her family has since opened a GoFundMe page to help her through this difficult time. As of writing, donations have reached more than $10,000.

Screenshot 2023-08-21 101154.png
Marie’s family opened a GoFundMe page to help her through this difficult time. Credit: GoFundMe

She also shared the mental toll this ordeal has caused her: ‘Since the scam, I’ve gone through such a hard time. I was so embarrassed, and I felt so stupid that I fell for the scam. I’d always been so careful with money,’ Marie said.

‘I was quite teary and quiet since it occurred, and I fell into a state of mild depression, which my family monitored closely,’ she added.

Members, Marie’s story is a heartbreaking reminder to stay alert to phone scams and be informed of other techniques scammers use nowadays.

In light of this, we’ve compiled a list of tips to protect yourself:

• Don’t answer calls from unknown numbers.
  • Consider an app that identifies which numbers are call centres and which are scammers.
  • Hang up on anyone who calls asking for your personal information, including bank details.
  • Be wary of anyone who pushes you to make decisions quickly or ask you to keep it a secret.
  • Unless your bank has contacted you first, don’t transfer any money if someone requests it over the phone.
If you ever find yourself the victim of a scam, it’s important to contact your local police and your bank immediately. It’s also a good idea to raise the issue online or with organisations like your telco provider or bank, as general awareness helps expose scammers and keeps the rest of the community safe.

If you come across anything suspicious, don't be shy to ask us here at the SDC about it. You can post at our Scam Watch forum so other members can stay informed.

You may also contact Services Australia's Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk on 1800 941 126 or send a report to Australian Competition and Consumer Commission here.

If the worst case happens, seek advice from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority if you’re unhappy with how your bank has responded to your situation.

Key Takeaways
  • A woman named Marie Marshall fell victim to a phone scam, losing her life savings amounting to $21,000.
  • The scammer posed as a representative from the Commonwealth Bank fraud department, led her to download an app, and gained access to her account information.
  • After learning about the scam, Marie was left distraught and heartbroken. She has been receiving ongoing calls from unknown numbers and her Facebook account has been hacked.
  • The Commonwealth Bank, after completing their investigation, informed Marie that her funds were not recoverable and she must pay back all the money the scammer had spent along with the fees on her credit card. The bank has offered compensation of $4,490.15 while stating that $2,535.00 had to be paid back.

Members, do you have any tips or stories about phone scams? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
Why do people still fall for these persistent scams,forewarned is forearmed
Marie Marshall is a woman who prides herself on her selfless, hardworking nature. For 66 years, she’s put the needs of others ahead of her own and has saved diligently for her retirement. Sadly, her dream of a peaceful retirement is now slipping away from her after she fell victim to a cruel phone scam.

The scam began when Marie received a call from a man claiming to be from the Commonwealth Bank’s (CBA) fraud department.

'He had an Indian accent, but spoke clearly in English and appeared highly educated and very patient,' she said. 'He was able to quote my account numbers and balances.'

View attachment 27932
Marie Marshall lost $21,000 of her savings due to a phone call scam. Credit: Jae Park/Unsplash

The scammer told Marie that her account had been compromised by suspicious transactions.

‘In order to secure my accounts and funds, he said I’d need to open a new CBA account and transfer all my money there,’ Marie recalled.

To make the situation appear more legitimate, the scammer told Marie she would need to confirm her ID using an app. Ironically, he warned that this was more secure than providing details over the phone, which is 'what scammers do'.

It was after Marie downloaded this app (actually a type of virus known as a ‘trojan horse’) that the scammer had access to her phone, using it to completely drain her savings–a total of $21,000.

While some were able to be recovered after it was put into a Westpac account, the majority of her savings are still missing. Marie was left with a mere $4 in her purse.

View attachment 27931
The scammer posed as an employee of Commonwealth Bank. Credit: myphotobank.com.au/Shutterstock

The realisation came when she read a post on social media that appeared to be about her exact situation. Unable to log in to her bank account, Marie drove to a nearby ATM and discovered her pin did not work.

Marie and her daughter went to her nearest Commonwealth branch to file a complaint and start an investigation. However, after the investigation, the bank informed Marie that her funds were not recoverable.

While CBA has offered Marie $4,490.15 as compensation, they have allegedly stated that she has to pay the money the scammer spent, which totals $2,535.

Marie narrates how this scam has changed her life: ‘I plan to retire on the pension and a small amount of superannuation. I don’t own a home. The savings the scammer stole would have been used to buy a car, as well as paying off some bills.’

Since then, Marie has received many phone calls from unknown numbers, and her social media page has been hacked, which led to the loss of her photos and contacts.

Her family has since opened a GoFundMe page to help her through this difficult time. As of writing, donations have reached more than $10,000.

View attachment 27933
Marie’s family opened a GoFundMe page to help her through this difficult time. Credit: GoFundMe

She also shared the mental toll this ordeal has caused her: ‘Since the scam, I’ve gone through such a hard time. I was so embarrassed, and I felt so stupid that I fell for the scam. I’d always been so careful with money,’ Marie said.

‘I was quite teary and quiet since it occurred, and I fell into a state of mild depression, which my family monitored closely,’ she added.

Members, Marie’s story is a heartbreaking reminder to stay alert to phone scams and be informed of other techniques scammers use nowadays.

• Consider an app that identifies which numbers are call centres and which are scammers.
  • Hang up on anyone who calls asking for your personal information, including bank details.
  • Be wary of anyone who pushes you to make decisions quickly or ask you to keep it a secret.
  • Unless your bank has contacted you first, don’t transfer any money if someone requests it over the phone.
If you ever find yourself the victim of a scam, it’s important to contact your local police and your bank immediately. It’s also a good idea to raise the issue online or with organisations like your telco provider or bank, as general awareness helps expose scammers and keeps the rest of the community safe.

If you come across anything suspicious, don't be shy to ask us here at the SDC about it. You can post at our Scam Watch forum so other members can stay informed.

You may also contact Services Australia's Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk on 1800 941 126 or send a report to Australian Competition and Consumer Commission here.

If the worst case happens, seek advice from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority if you’re unhappy with how your bank has responded to your situation.

Key Takeaways

• A woman named Marie Marshall fell victim to a phone scam, losing her life savings amounting to $21,000.
  • The scammer posed as a representative from the Commonwealth Bank fraud department, led her to download an app, and gained access to her account information.
  • After learning about the scam, Marie was left distraught and heartbroken. She has been receiving ongoing calls from unknown numbers and her Facebook account has been hacked.
  • The Commonwealth Bank, after completing their investigation, informed Marie that her funds were not recoverable and she must pay back all the money the scammer had spent along with the fees on her credit card. The bank has offered compensation of $4,490.15 while stating that $2,535.00 had to be paid back.

Members, do you have any tips or stories about phone scams? Share them in the comments below!

What’s the app that recognizes phone calls from scammers?
Assume that they are all scammers. Indian scammers already have a lot of your personal information because organisations like Telstra have their data processing and call centres based in India. These places are about as honest as their most dishonest employee.

Not having a landline all calls come via my mobile. To deter scammers I have silenced unknown callers. Everyone should do this. Go to ‘settings’ then ‘phone’ then to ‘silence unknown callers’. Of course you need to make sure that ALL your contacts are on the phone. If the call is genuine and not in your contact list, the caller will leave a message and you can / need not respond accordingly. At the end of the day I check the calls which have been silenced and block them so they won’t reappear.
I have also silenced all unknown calls, it is fantastic. If it is important the caller will leave a message. Works very well for me!

View attachment 27932

View attachment 27931

View attachment 27933

Key Takeaways

Yeah okay I'llgo to the bank and check the veracity or conversely tell him to F##KOFF!!.

View attachment 27932

View attachment 27931

View attachment 27933

Key Takeaways

You have to be wary of EVERYTHING. Protect yourself, first and foremost, no matter what a caller or email might say. DO NOT TRUST ANYONE.
I received a call from my internet provider only yesterday. They rang me. Then the caller said due to privacy issues, they have to confirm my identity by quoting my date of birth and address. I said, you rang me...I will confirm nothing over the phone...you have to prove who you are. After a small exchange, not heated, it was conceded that I did, indeed, have a point.
So, they emailed me referring to an enquiry I had made and giving a confirmation of their oncoming contact on my account message site. If the company had not done that in response to my stubborn stance, I would have contacted them direct. It did turn out the call was legitimate, but, I was not to know that at the time.
After all was completed, the provider asked me to complete a survey giving feedback of service offered. I made sure they were aware the approach, in this day and age, was not appropriate.
You cannot trust anyone or anything. I don't care who they say they are or why the call was made. If it is a surprising situation, it has to stand up to scrutiny.
I can understand the upset that folk go through, and how frustrating it would be not to have the back up one would hope for from the banking institution. I suppose a line will have to be drawn somewhere. Unfortunately it is usually at the expense of the innocent.
Oh dear. The price we pay for the gift of technology.

View attachment 27932

View attachment 27931

View attachment 27933

Key Takeaways

UK banks to reimburse fraud victims under new rules, regulator confirms​

Requirement to refund people who have been tricked by scammers will be implemented in 2024

Banks will be required to reimburse fraud victims who have been tricked into sending money to scammers under rules to come into force next year, a regulator has confirmed.

The requirements for banks and other payment companies unveiled by the Payments Systems Regulator (PSR) are designed to ensure more consumers will get a refund if they fall victim to the phenomenon, known as authorised push payment fraud.

Perhaps our Government should be implementing a scheme like this.

View attachment 27932

View attachment 27931

View attachment 27933

Key Takeaways

We let all calls go to an answer machine and if someone starts talking we will usually pick up and scammers always hang up so no scam calls.

My friend who at the time had lost her dog then a few days later, her husband, received a "Hi Mum" text supposedly from her son saying he was using someone else's mobile as his wasn't working and could she pay a couple of bills for him. She willingly paid them then when her son called round the next/ day she asked about the bills and that's when she foud it was a scam. The bank was no help as she had willingly paid the money. She was left with only a few $$ in the bank.

I got a phone call today from David claimed to be from NBN - I hung up.

Disagree age does have an impact if you’re not savy to technology you need help. Did your mother never tell you not to kick a dog when it’s down?
Sandie I am 72 years old and as I said age has nothing to do with it!
stupidity does!

stupidity does!
Don’t be so arrogant it can happen to anyone you’re just one person stats don’t lie that this happens more to the vulnerable educate yourself
stupidity does!
The elderly are more at risk stats don’t lie!!

If you get a call from someone with an Indian, african OR ANY OTHER ACCENT accent, TREAT IT AS A SCAM. Hang up.