How this simple phone call cost an unfortunate woman $21,000 within seconds

Marie Marshall is a woman who prides herself on her selfless, hardworking nature. For 66 years, she’s put the needs of others ahead of her own and has saved diligently for her retirement. Sadly, her dream of a peaceful retirement is now slipping away from her after she fell victim to a cruel phone scam.

The scam began when Marie received a call from a man claiming to be from the Commonwealth Bank’s (CBA) fraud department.

'He had an Indian accent, but spoke clearly in English and appeared highly educated and very patient,' she said. 'He was able to quote my account numbers and balances.'

Screenshot 2023-08-21 105128.png
Marie Marshall lost $21,000 of her savings due to a phone call scam. Credit: Jae Park/Unsplash

The scammer told Marie that her account had been compromised by suspicious transactions.

‘In order to secure my accounts and funds, he said I’d need to open a new CBA account and transfer all my money there,’ Marie recalled.

To make the situation appear more legitimate, the scammer told Marie she would need to confirm her ID using an app. Ironically, he warned that this was more secure than providing details over the phone, which is 'what scammers do'.

It was after Marie downloaded this app (actually a type of virus known as a ‘trojan horse’) that the scammer had access to her phone, using it to completely drain her savings–a total of $21,000.

While some were able to be recovered after it was put into a Westpac account, the majority of her savings are still missing. Marie was left with a mere $4 in her purse.

shutterstock_1933554437.jpg
The scammer posed as an employee of Commonwealth Bank. Credit: myphotobank.com.au/Shutterstock

‘I had no idea I’d been scammed until two days later,’ she explained.

The realisation came when she read a post on social media that appeared to be about her exact situation. Unable to log in to her bank account, Marie drove to a nearby ATM and discovered her pin did not work.

‘I was heartbroken and highly distraught,’ Marie recounted.

Marie and her daughter went to her nearest Commonwealth branch to file a complaint and start an investigation. However, after the investigation, the bank informed Marie that her funds were not recoverable.

While CBA has offered Marie $4,490.15 as compensation, they have allegedly stated that she has to pay the money the scammer spent, which totals $2,535.

‘I don’t feel that CBA’s response has been acceptable,’ she mentioned.

Marie narrates how this scam has changed her life: ‘I plan to retire on the pension and a small amount of superannuation. I don’t own a home. The savings the scammer stole would have been used to buy a car, as well as paying off some bills.’

Since then, Marie has received many phone calls from unknown numbers, and her social media page has been hacked, which led to the loss of her photos and contacts.

Her family has since opened a GoFundMe page to help her through this difficult time. As of writing, donations have reached more than $10,000.

Screenshot 2023-08-21 101154.png
Marie’s family opened a GoFundMe page to help her through this difficult time. Credit: GoFundMe

She also shared the mental toll this ordeal has caused her: ‘Since the scam, I’ve gone through such a hard time. I was so embarrassed, and I felt so stupid that I fell for the scam. I’d always been so careful with money,’ Marie said.

‘I was quite teary and quiet since it occurred, and I fell into a state of mild depression, which my family monitored closely,’ she added.

Members, Marie’s story is a heartbreaking reminder to stay alert to phone scams and be informed of other techniques scammers use nowadays.

In light of this, we’ve compiled a list of tips to protect yourself:

• Don’t answer calls from unknown numbers.
  • Consider an app that identifies which numbers are call centres and which are scammers.
  • Hang up on anyone who calls asking for your personal information, including bank details.
  • Be wary of anyone who pushes you to make decisions quickly or ask you to keep it a secret.
  • Unless your bank has contacted you first, don’t transfer any money if someone requests it over the phone.
If you ever find yourself the victim of a scam, it’s important to contact your local police and your bank immediately. It’s also a good idea to raise the issue online or with organisations like your telco provider or bank, as general awareness helps expose scammers and keeps the rest of the community safe.

If you come across anything suspicious, don't be shy to ask us here at the SDC about it. You can post at our Scam Watch forum so other members can stay informed.

You may also contact Services Australia's Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk on 1800 941 126 or send a report to Australian Competition and Consumer Commission here.

If the worst case happens, seek advice from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority if you’re unhappy with how your bank has responded to your situation.

Key Takeaways
  • A woman named Marie Marshall fell victim to a phone scam, losing her life savings amounting to $21,000.
  • The scammer posed as a representative from the Commonwealth Bank fraud department, led her to download an app, and gained access to her account information.
  • After learning about the scam, Marie was left distraught and heartbroken. She has been receiving ongoing calls from unknown numbers and her Facebook account has been hacked.
  • The Commonwealth Bank, after completing their investigation, informed Marie that her funds were not recoverable and she must pay back all the money the scammer had spent along with the fees on her credit card. The bank has offered compensation of $4,490.15 while stating that $2,535.00 had to be paid back.

Members, do you have any tips or stories about phone scams? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
I don't understand no matter how old you are wouldn't you hang up and ring the bank !

Everyone is now aware of scams.

I answered hubby's phone the other day, it was an Indian lady who said she was from Vodafone and said my husbands first name, straight away I knew it wasn't right because his number is on my account , his name is no where on the account or with Vodafone, she wanted to offer a different plan but before going ahead want all his details.
I told her if she was from Vodafone she can then call me the real holder of the account. I hung up and blocked the number

*** NO BANK WILL EVER ASK YOU TO DO THIS ***
‘In order to secure my accounts and funds, he said I’d need to open a new CBA account and transfer all my money there"
WRITE/COPY THIS AND STICK IT ON/NEAR YOUR PHONE/COMPUTER

Marie Marshall is a woman who prides herself on her selfless, hardworking nature. For 66 years, she’s put the needs of others ahead of her own and has saved diligently for her retirement. Sadly, her dream of a peaceful retirement is now slipping away from her after she fell victim to a cruel phone scam.

The scam began when Marie received a call from a man claiming to be from the Commonwealth Bank’s (CBA) fraud department.

'He had an Indian accent, but spoke clearly in English and appeared highly educated and very patient,' she said. 'He was able to quote my account numbers and balances.'

View attachment 27932
Marie Marshall lost $21,000 of her savings due to a phone call scam. Credit: Jae Park/Unsplash

The scammer told Marie that her account had been compromised by suspicious transactions.

‘In order to secure my accounts and funds, he said I’d need to open a new CBA account and transfer all my money there,’ Marie recalled.

To make the situation appear more legitimate, the scammer told Marie she would need to confirm her ID using an app. Ironically, he warned that this was more secure than providing details over the phone, which is 'what scammers do'.

It was after Marie downloaded this app (actually a type of virus known as a ‘trojan horse’) that the scammer had access to her phone, using it to completely drain her savings–a total of $21,000.

While some were able to be recovered after it was put into a Westpac account, the majority of her savings are still missing. Marie was left with a mere $4 in her purse.

View attachment 27931
The scammer posed as an employee of Commonwealth Bank. Credit: myphotobank.com.au/Shutterstock

The realisation came when she read a post on social media that appeared to be about her exact situation. Unable to log in to her bank account, Marie drove to a nearby ATM and discovered her pin did not work.

Marie and her daughter went to her nearest Commonwealth branch to file a complaint and start an investigation. However, after the investigation, the bank informed Marie that her funds were not recoverable.

While CBA has offered Marie $4,490.15 as compensation, they have allegedly stated that she has to pay the money the scammer spent, which totals $2,535.

Marie narrates how this scam has changed her life: ‘I plan to retire on the pension and a small amount of superannuation. I don’t own a home. The savings the scammer stole would have been used to buy a car, as well as paying off some bills.’

Since then, Marie has received many phone calls from unknown numbers, and her social media page has been hacked, which led to the loss of her photos and contacts.

Her family has since opened a GoFundMe page to help her through this difficult time. As of writing, donations have reached more than $10,000.

View attachment 27933
Marie’s family opened a GoFundMe page to help her through this difficult time. Credit: GoFundMe

She also shared the mental toll this ordeal has caused her: ‘Since the scam, I’ve gone through such a hard time. I was so embarrassed, and I felt so stupid that I fell for the scam. I’d always been so careful with money,’ Marie said.

‘I was quite teary and quiet since it occurred, and I fell into a state of mild depression, which my family monitored closely,’ she added.

Members, Marie’s story is a heartbreaking reminder to stay alert to phone scams and be informed of other techniques scammers use nowadays.

• Consider an app that identifies which numbers are call centres and which are scammers.
  • Hang up on anyone who calls asking for your personal information, including bank details.
  • Be wary of anyone who pushes you to make decisions quickly or ask you to keep it a secret.
  • Unless your bank has contacted you first, don’t transfer any money if someone requests it over the phone.
If you ever find yourself the victim of a scam, it’s important to contact your local police and your bank immediately. It’s also a good idea to raise the issue online or with organisations like your telco provider or bank, as general awareness helps expose scammers and keeps the rest of the community safe.

If you come across anything suspicious, don't be shy to ask us here at the SDC about it. You can post at our Scam Watch forum so other members can stay informed.

You may also contact Services Australia's Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk on 1800 941 126 or send a report to Australian Competition and Consumer Commission here.

If the worst case happens, seek advice from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority if you’re unhappy with how your bank has responded to your situation.

Key Takeaways

• A woman named Marie Marshall fell victim to a phone scam, losing her life savings amounting to $21,000.
  • The scammer posed as a representative from the Commonwealth Bank fraud department, led her to download an app, and gained access to her account information.
  • After learning about the scam, Marie was left distraught and heartbroken. She has been receiving ongoing calls from unknown numbers and her Facebook account has been hacked.
  • The Commonwealth Bank, after completing their investigation, informed Marie that her funds were not recoverable and she must pay back all the money the scammer had spent along with the fees on her credit card. The bank has offered compensation of $4,490.15 while stating that $2,535.00 had to be paid back.

Members, do you have any tips or stories about phone scams? Share them in the comments below!
Honestly there is nothing more that can be said to the public about these scams. We all know about them and what to do but people are just not "engaging" their brain. Just hang up and ring your bank! You cannot protect people from their own stupidity unfortunately.

My sister got scammed the same way when she had spent the day in lots of pain, and had taken some heavy duty pain meds. When she got the phone call she wasn’t her normal self and got caught out. She lost just over $700 which was most of her jobseeker payment for the next fortnight. She was already depressed and having anxiety issues trying to manage on such little money, this added to her issues. Nothing was recovered. These scammers are the scum of the earth and need dealing with harshly, like firing squad would be too good for them.

I answer EVERY call "Hello! What Scam are you offering today?"
Anyone who knows me will laugh and get on with the business of the call; almost everybody else gets the eff off the line PDQ.

Most importantly, NEVER identify yourself by name and never use the word "YES" until you are absolutely certain of the caller's bona fides, as with voice-grafting technology you can still be scammed after you are off the phone.

View attachment 27932

View attachment 27931

View attachment 27933

Key Takeaways

It is a sad world we live in today, being a pensioner I really feel for Marie. But my question is what is a safe app that identifies a scammer from a legit caller, does anyone who is tech savvy able to advise us with so many apps out there.

View attachment 27932

View attachment 27931

View attachment 27933

Key Takeaways

What’s the app that recognizes phone calls from scammers?

Not having a landline all calls come via my mobile. To deter scammers I have silenced unknown callers. Everyone should do this. Go to ‘settings’ then ‘phone’ then to ‘silence unknown callers’. Of course you need to make sure that ALL your contacts are on the phone. If the call is genuine and not in your contact list, the caller will leave a message and you can / need not respond accordingly. At the end of the day I check the calls which have been silenced and block them so they won’t reappear.

Is she for real? If I am stupid and fall for a very obvious scam, it's somebody else's responsibility?
Not really. It also should be on the bank to notice a transaction that is out of the ordinary and check with the account holder somehow. My old credit union used to do this all the time, but the bigger banks obviously don't care so much about their customers.

View attachment 27932

View attachment 27931

View attachment 27933

Key Takeaways

Once again no sympathy whatsoever!
How many times do people have to be told that Institutions like banks will never RING to discuss these issues or ask for private info over the phone. They will always send an email requesting you to contact the bank. These scams only work because of foolish people and “a fool and their money are easily parted”.
The bank is correct in not supporting her!
The bank didn’t hand over her money, she did.
Stupid women!
These scams are reported daily in this app!

It is a sad world we live in today, being a pensioner I really feel for Marie. But my question is what is a safe app that identifies a scammer from a legit caller, does anyone who is tech savvy able to advise us with so many apps out there.
Just don't answer numbers you don't know, if it is important the caller will leave a message. There is no app to cover peoples stupidity.

Well thank you to all these people who call us stupid for falling for these scams. Just hope it never happens to these smart tech savvy warriors. I also thought I was cluey enough to never fall for any scams over the phone but back in 2021 I did that exact same thing. This scam was from NBN but was so realistic that I never had a clue until I lost my $5000. My credit union couldn’t recover it either as even though I rang the bank straight away, by the time they got I touch with the bank the money had been transferred to it was GONE. We’ve been suffering ever since because that was most of our savings. It’s useless ringing the police cos all they tell you to do is report it to scam watch.. which I did. I did report it to another scam department who investigated but because the money was taken from my bank account and not from a credit card there wasn’t much that could be done because as they said I authorised the transfer… STUPID me..and not the credit Union But only authorised a transfer of $5 not the $5000 they took. I don’t know how they sleep at night, the bas……ds..
My cousin had the exact same scam done to her but because it was taken from a credit card, her bank refunded her the money So she was one of the lucky ones. I only wish she had told me earlier then I wouldn’t have fallen victim to these unscrupulous people. We were told that this is their job to make it look so realistic and being older, we just are too trustworthy. NEVER AGAIN..now I don’t answer any calls for numbers I don’t know..

Well thank you to all these people who call us stupid for falling for these scams. Just hope it never happens to these smart tech savvy warriors. I also thought I was cluey enough to never fall for any scams over the phone but back in 2021 I did that exact same thing. This scam was from NBN but was so realistic that I never had a clue until I lost my $5000. My credit union couldn’t recover it either as even though I rang the bank straight away, by the time they got I touch with the bank the money had been transferred to it was GONE. We’ve been suffering ever since because that was most of our savings. It’s useless ringing the police cos all they tell you to do is report it to scam watch.. which I did. I did report it to another scam department who investigated but because the money was taken from my bank account and not from a credit card there wasn’t much that could be done because as they said I authorised the transfer… STUPID me..and not the credit Union But only authorised a transfer of $5 not the $5000 they took. I don’t know how they sleep at night, the bas……ds..
My cousin had the exact same scam done to her but because it was taken from a credit card, her bank refunded her the money So she was one of the lucky ones. I only wish she had told me earlier then I wouldn’t have fallen victim to these unscrupulous people. We were told that this is their job to make it look so realistic and being older, we just are too trustworthy. NEVER AGAIN..now I don’t answer any calls for numbers I don’t know..
Totally agree. I fell for the Mum and Pop scam - their timing was amazing at a time when I wasn't a bit suprised that my child needed help. I didn't think anything of "helping". In hind sight there were red flags, but I was too worried at the time to notice them. I didn't even know I'd been scammed until I heard somebody else speak about the same message I received. I'm no dummy, but it can happen to any of you if the timing is right.

The Indian accent should have been a 'red flag' immediately. I NEVER answer unknown numbers on my mobile, and ALWAYS HANG UP on my landline if I suspect the caller is a scammer. NEVER say 'yes' to those mongrels if you do answer.