Hospital turns down senior's plea for surgery: 'I'm disgusted with them'

The healthcare system is designed to support and treat those in need, regardless of age.

However, a recent incident involving a senior patient and a hospital raised concerns about treating elderly patients within the system.

Alicia, a 90-year-old skin cancer patient, found herself at the centre of a distressing situation when she sought surgery for melanomas on her head and hands.

According to her daughter Wanda, Alicia's request for surgery was denied by Goulburn Base Hospital due to her age.

This claim sparked a wave of anger among the public and advocacy groups and highlighted the issue of age discrimination in healthcare.

compressed-pexels-stephane-bacrot-138931159-10292621.jpeg
Alicia's predicament forced her to travel to another hospital in Canberra, which raised questions about the healthcare system and how it caters elderly patients. Image Credit: Pexels/Stephane Bacrot

The hospital refuted these allegations in a separate statement, which read:

'This patient was not refused care based on their age, nor are any other people who require care. Each skin cancer is different and is assessed individually.

Due to the complex nature of the treatment required on this occasion, a decision was made in the patient's best interests to refer them to a higher-level facility where a plastic surgeon was available.

Goulburn Base Hospital is a Level 4 hospital that does not perform complex surgical procedures, including plastic surgery.'

While medically sound advice, the statement did not fully address the impact on Alicia and her family.

'As far as I'm concerned, I'm disgusted with them,' Alicia lamented.

'Getting the surgery would mean a lot because I'm a human being, and I'm entitled to it.'

The hospital's decision forced Alicia to travel to a private hospital in Canberra for her surgery—a decision that her daughter Wanda deemed 'just wrong' and 'very unfair to the elderly people that live in Goulburn'.

National Seniors Australia Chief Executive Chris Grice suggested that a communication problem might have been at the issue's root.

Alicia's story is not just a personal ordeal; it's a reminder of the challenges seniors face in accessing healthcare.

It brings to the forefront the importance of advocating for the rights of older Australians to receive timely and adequate medical treatment.

As members of society, we must be aware of our healthcare rights and the services available to us.

It's also important to understand that while age can be a factor in determining the appropriate course of treatment, it should never be the sole reason for denying care.
Key Takeaways

• A 90-year-old woman with skin cancer was allegedly denied surgery at Goulburn Base Hospital due to her age.
  • The patient, Alicia, expressed disgust with the hospital's response and emphasised her right to treatment.
  • The Full Southern NSW Local Health District stated that she was not denied treatment due to age and was referred to a facility that could cater to the complex nature of her condition.
  • The decision left Alicia no choice but to travel to a private hospital in Canberra, which drew criticism about the fairness towards elderly residents.
Have you or a loved one faced similar challenges with the healthcare system? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
It's not the hospital's fault that the governments (NSW & Federal) has not been willing to fund a fully capable hospital in that region.

My mother had surgery for a broken ankle just outside a major city and then was required to travel out to a regional centre for respite care.

Again because of the lack of adequate resources.

At the same time her severely injured shoulder (requiring reverse Reconstruction) was not operated on, because it was considered 'elective surgery.'

Apparently not being ambidextrous is just being lazy.

It would make me furious if it was accurate. However, I tend to think that had the hospital proceeded with surgery and left the unfortunate lady requiring plastic surgery which they are unable to provide, there would have been a further complaint. Some people just look for things to complain about. They rarely, if ever, give the full story and also very very rarely to they go public with praise when things are done right.

I am very sorry to this happened to this lady. I had to have a melanoma removed from my back. I was referred to a plastic surgeon. I had it removed in the surgery rooms it cost me $900 seven years ago. I do have private health insurance but could not claim a cent or claim a cent from Medicare because it was done in the surgery rooms.
At the time l was in my mid 50s, since then the surgeon has removed a lot of skin cancers and things that turned out to be nothing to worry about. Each time the cost has been huge with no refunds. I understand the distress this darling older lady is feeling, but she will be better off going to.the Canberra hospital and having the plastic surgeon doing the job.
In saying that you would think that all hospitals should have the staff to cater for all needs.
Good luck darling best of luck.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Reactions: relljube and 52-KID
I have experienced a similar situation as I am denied Bariattic surgery due to my age (68),Medicare will not pay 1c towards this issue.

Reactions: Gsr
I had a couple of stints in my local hospital, The first time I noticed they had put me in DNR ward as soon as I found out I blew up and told them to give me my clothes. The second it was by stealth, they left my papers on the foot of my bunk, and I picked them up and it read them. I found that they written down that had agreed not to be resuscitated of course I had a strong objection and I found out the attending wankers decided for me Bastards barely out of medical school.

I had to travel to a major hospital because my town one couldn't provide the Colonoscophy . After it was done I was told no more procedures unless of a emergency because of my age

• Wow
Reactions: Abby2
I just had cancer removed from my face I had a large hole in my face that wouldn't heal it was only a plastic surgeon who could have done the job had it 1 week ago and the scar can't be seen 4 years ago I one taken off my hand same surgeon scar is barely visible

It would make me furious if it was accurate. However, I tend to think that had the hospital proceeded with surgery and left the unfortunate lady requiring plastic surgery which they are unable to provide, there would have been a further complaint. Some people just look for things to complain about. They rarely, if ever, give the full story and also very very rarely to they go public with praise when things are done right.
I'm with the hospital, they have their reason. They know what decision and why is the right one.

i am 83 and for the last 10 years have had a mid line hernia living in a rural area not 1 Doctor has sugested surgery to fix it , when i asked why they said because of your age you might not come out of it, also its not life threatrning

Totally agree with you. I’m sure the family would have been having a whinge if the surgery was done at Goulburn and then Alicia had to go into hospital again in Canberra to have the plastic surgery she needed. One hospital stay and surgery has got to be better than two hospital stays and two surgeries, especially for older people. I wonder how Alicia felt about this, did the family even care or just wanted to have a whinge as is the want of so many people these days.

MY WIFE WAS REFFERED TO A DOCTOR AT THE LYELL MCEWIN HOSPITAL IN FEBRUARY 2022 AMD HER FIRST APPOINTMENT WAS ON THE 29TH OF MAY 2022
THE DOCTOR CANCELLECD THAT APPOINTMENT
THE DOCTOR BOOKED MY WIFE IN FOR A LUNG FUNCTION TEST AND A SCAN IN JUNE AND THEN CANCELLED THEM AND DID A BRONCHIOMETRY INSTEAD BUT ADMITS IN WRITING THAT SHE NEVER READ THE RESULTS
MY WIFES NEXT APPOINTMENT 6 MONTHS LATER NOVEMBER THE 25 TH 2022 THE DOCTOR NEVER GOT OFF HER CHAIR
4 DAYS AFTER SEEING THE DOCTOR FOR THE FIRST TIME MY WIFE WAS IN HOSPITAL IN A INDUCED COMA AND DIED A FEW HOURS LATER AFTER BEING DISCHARGED FROM THE INTENSIVE CARE UNIT
I SPOKE WITH THE 2 DOCTORS IN CHARGE OF THE RESPITORY SECTION ASND ASKED THEM WHAT HAPPENED AND THEY TOLD ME SHE DIED FROM A BACTERIA INFECTION CALLED PLUROUS SO I ASKED TO SEE WHAT TESTS WERE DONE TO CONFIRM THIS
THE ANSWER MUST BE NONE
I ALSO ASKED FOR COPIES OF THE BRONCHIOMETRY TESTS AND THE SCAN TESTS THEY DID WHILE MY WIFE WAS IN THE COMA AND THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW AS I AM ENTITLED TO SEE THIS INFORMATION UNER THE FOI ACT AND THEY REFUSE TO SEND THEM OUT\
I ASKED THE 2 DOCTORS COULD MY WIFE DIED FROM A HEART ATTACK AND BOTH DOCTORS STATED IT WAS POSSIBLE
THIS MEANS TO ME THAT IF SHE COULD HAVE DIED FROM A HEART ATTACK THEN NEITHER OF THE 2 DOCTORS KNOW WHAT MY WIFE DIED FROM
I CONTACTED THE HOSPITAL AND NO REQUESTED INFORMATION WAS SENT
I CONTACTED THE PREMIER OF S/A.AND HE REFFERED THE MATTER TO THE HEALTH COMMISSIONER TO INVESTIGATE
5 MONTHS AGO AND I AM STILL WAITING FOR ANSWERS
ITS BEEN SEVENTEEN MONTHS AND I STILL CANNOT FIND OUT WHY WASNT MY WIFE TREATED BETTER AND GOT A POSITIVE TEST DONE TO DIAGNOSE WHAT HER SICKNESS WAS
FAILURES ALL ROUND BY EVERYONE INVOLVED
MY WIFE DIED BECAUSE NO ONE AT THE LYELL MCEWIN HOSPITAL DID THERE JOB AND NOW NO ONE WILL TELL ME WHY THEY DID NOT DO THEIR JOB
THEY KILLED MY WIFE THROUGH NEGLECT
SHE WAS 60 YEARS OLD

Last edited:
A friend told me about her Aunty who at the age of 96 was diagnosed with Breast Cancer but as she was also suffering with Dementia the decision was made not to give her any treatment but to let it run its course. She passed away a yr later :cry:

A friend told me about her Aunty who at the age of 96 was diagnosed with Breast Cancer but as she was also suffering with Dementia the decision was made not to give her any treatment but to let it run its course. She passed away a yr later :cry:
The treatment may have killed her even earlier. Breast cancer treatment is not easy to cope with and depends on the type of breast cancer.

I have experienced a similar situation as I am denied Bariattic surgery due to my age (68),Medicare will not pay 1c towards this issue.
I would think if this type of surgery was under medicare everyone would be having it done.