Hospital turns down senior's plea for surgery: 'I'm disgusted with them'

The healthcare system is designed to support and treat those in need, regardless of age.

However, a recent incident involving a senior patient and a hospital raised concerns about treating elderly patients within the system.

Alicia, a 90-year-old skin cancer patient, found herself at the centre of a distressing situation when she sought surgery for melanomas on her head and hands.

According to her daughter Wanda, Alicia's request for surgery was denied by Goulburn Base Hospital due to her age.

This claim sparked a wave of anger among the public and advocacy groups and highlighted the issue of age discrimination in healthcare.

compressed-pexels-stephane-bacrot-138931159-10292621.jpeg
Alicia's predicament forced her to travel to another hospital in Canberra, which raised questions about the healthcare system and how it caters elderly patients. Image Credit: Pexels/Stephane Bacrot

The hospital refuted these allegations in a separate statement, which read:

'This patient was not refused care based on their age, nor are any other people who require care. Each skin cancer is different and is assessed individually.

Due to the complex nature of the treatment required on this occasion, a decision was made in the patient's best interests to refer them to a higher-level facility where a plastic surgeon was available.

Goulburn Base Hospital is a Level 4 hospital that does not perform complex surgical procedures, including plastic surgery.'

While medically sound advice, the statement did not fully address the impact on Alicia and her family.

'As far as I'm concerned, I'm disgusted with them,' Alicia lamented.

'Getting the surgery would mean a lot because I'm a human being, and I'm entitled to it.'

The hospital's decision forced Alicia to travel to a private hospital in Canberra for her surgery—a decision that her daughter Wanda deemed 'just wrong' and 'very unfair to the elderly people that live in Goulburn'.

National Seniors Australia Chief Executive Chris Grice suggested that a communication problem might have been at the issue's root.

Alicia's story is not just a personal ordeal; it's a reminder of the challenges seniors face in accessing healthcare.

It brings to the forefront the importance of advocating for the rights of older Australians to receive timely and adequate medical treatment.

As members of society, we must be aware of our healthcare rights and the services available to us.

It's also important to understand that while age can be a factor in determining the appropriate course of treatment, it should never be the sole reason for denying care.
Key Takeaways

• A 90-year-old woman with skin cancer was allegedly denied surgery at Goulburn Base Hospital due to her age.
  • The patient, Alicia, expressed disgust with the hospital's response and emphasised her right to treatment.
  • The Full Southern NSW Local Health District stated that she was not denied treatment due to age and was referred to a facility that could cater to the complex nature of her condition.
  • The decision left Alicia no choice but to travel to a private hospital in Canberra, which drew criticism about the fairness towards elderly residents.
Have you or a loved one faced similar challenges with the healthcare system? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I had a couple of stints in my local hospital, The first time I noticed they had put me in DNR ward as soon as I found out I blew up and told them to give me my clothes. The second it was by stealth, they left my papers on the foot of my bunk, and I picked them up and it read them. I found that they written down that had agreed not to be resuscitated of course I had a strong objection and I found out the attending wankers decided for me Bastards barely out of medical school.
Wow I hope you took this further - that is really scary.

Reactions: DLHM
It's not good that they dismiss older patients. However, at 90yrs old their skin is fragile and thinner, plus it takes longer to heal with subject to infection. I'm sure that was taken in account.
The problem is with the patient's ability to cope with anaesthetic at that age.

Reactions: Penny4 and DLHM